Enercon Services

Updated June 16, 2014
Updated June 16, 2014

3.1

John Richardson

One of the best places I have worked....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

The company has a strong focus on helping our clients be successful; we emphasize smart, quality service and own up to and take responsibility for our missteps when we make them. Success is celebrated and shared with all employees - the open management style and implementation helps all employees understand the business and where we stand.

Cons

As other reviewers have suggested, the company has grown rapidly in the past several years, and our infrastructure relative to project management and employee training has no always kept up. Fortunately this is receiving considerably more attention these days.

Continue to listen to and digest what the employees "in the trenches" are saying about what frustrates them, and communicate with the staff as to what is being done to continually improve their working environment and their ability to succeed.

Growing Business

Current Employee - Engineer IV  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer IV in Dallas, TX

Pros

ESOP culture allows sharing with all employees. Pay scales are great.

Cons

Advancement might be slow but ESOP provides a big incentive to stay and build.

Poor Project Management and Direction (Engineer's Perspective)

Former Employee - Engineer III  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Naperville, IL

Pros

The company has seen aggressive growth over the past 5 years. They have a solid Employee Stock Program and if you're hired as an full time employee, and your half way competent, the work is stable. You won't be fired or let go at the drop of a hat.

Cons

Because the company has seen such aggressive growth there have been many growing pains. The Project Managers I worked worth were rarely competent in actually managing the project. Most engineers end up having to assume a lot of client interaction and project management responsibilities.

The aggressive growth has also been at the cost of under-bidding many projects to get their foot in the door with large utilities. This has resulted in overly aggressive schedules and unrealistic demands on engineers (being asked to work un-paid overtime). Generally the projects that are awarded are throw away jobs that larger companies wouldn't waste their time with. It is difficult to get experience that will be relevant in other fields or at other companies. While interviewing with other companies and mentioning the Enercon projects I worked on I was basically laughed at and told I hadn't learned anything at all.

Many aspects of the job are improvisational, the way most projects are run is similar to a pick up game of basketball, they just kind of wait and see what happens. During times of high demand, for personnel, lots of low quality contractors are usually brought on. They are paid a high hourly wage and have an incentive to drag the project out longer.

Training or mentor programs are non existent. It is basically assumed that you will know how to do what you're asked. This is incredibly difficult when having to do work for multiple utilities, each with their own set of procedures and systems.

Because of the types of projects they work, and management structure that is in place, advancement is difficult. The main goal of management is to hire people with experience they can put into proposals. The most competitive salaries are saved for external hires, raises are just large enough to have you not quit. For lower level engineers, coming up within the company, they want to keep you as long as possible for as cheaply as possible.

Standardize project management and training. Institute some kind mentor program.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

yet another top heavy corporation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

perks for higher level engineers such as group leads and supervisors are working from home, being exempt from any design work, extra vacations, control of their work load, and flexible hours.

Cons

Manager and supervisors of the civil group are easily manipulated. In this group manager is always defensive, keeps himself disconnected and reacts in a negative manner when employees raise their concerns instead of improving his ways. Focus of the manager and supervisors is employee replacement vs retention. Overall there's lack of loyalty toward employees and there's a lack of commitment to current employee's professional growth and career development. The manager and his supervisors operate based on gossip, speculation and deceit instead of facts, truth and honesty. Resources are under utilized due to the manager and his supervisors failing to recognize employee's positive contributions. Manager does not defend the engineers at times of distress and engineers are always the ones taking the blame even though they are the lowest in the rankings with no control of the tasks assigned to them.

Engage the lower level engineers once in a while to get the truth instead of only listening to self-righteous group leads, supervisors and managers report as facts.

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Challenging work
    The greatest people I've ever worked with
    Constantly driving me to be a better engineer

Cons

Excessive paperwork
    Micromanagement is rampant
    Poor communication on projects, between groups, on future direction of the company

Reduce involvement in day-to-day decisions, and focus on leading

Too many bosses

Former Employee - Engineer III  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

The compensation is generous, especially for entry level employees. Employee stock available.

Cons

Too many middle managers leads to micromanagement of employees. Mixed signals from different managers and project leaders leads to wasted time and efforts, for which the employee is often blamed. Employees are blamed for mistakes which are often beyond their control and could be prevented by changing the project process. Management is unwilling to make any meaningful changes.

Follow your own advice. The upper management has put together a game plan for success, which looks good on paper, but is ignored for the sake of keeping employees billable or meeting a deadline.

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer II  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

1) The office is comfortable
    2) When you need something form the other non-engineering professions (i.e. HR, payroll, legal, etc.) in the office they are typically much quicker than at other companies.

Cons

1) Poor communication from management
    2) Projects are not organized, and continually change throughout the process
    3) Nothing you work on will be "technically sweet"
    4) Meeting a deadline often conflicts with doing the engineering correctly

Organize employee work load correctly, properly define the scope of the projects you work on, and create proper "pre-job briefs".
    Also, it wouldn't hurt to commit yourself to training the younger engineers. If you did this, they would most likely stick around for more than a year or two.

Good experience and environment, if you're the right kind of person.

Current Employee - Engineer IV  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer IV in Washington, DC

Pros

I have been involved on a multitude of projects, ranging from HVAC to thermal hydraulics to flood mitigation, etc. This experience, coupled with being given a fair amount of responsibility, has really helped me develop and hone my engineering skills. The job is very dynamic; it keeps me busy and I like that.

My coworkers are fantastic. I could not ask for a better group.

Cons

I have received very little training while I have worked here. I have had to figure out many things on my own, but I am a "learn by doing" person, so it has been OK. You need to have the drive to figure things out on your own and ask the right questions. Be proactive.

Additionally, management is quite thin (low overhead due to the company's structure). Therefore, they are not available sometimes. I am not saying that management is bad at this company (management in my office is quite good at what they do), but they are all so busy, it seems like they do not have time for regular employees.

Train your young engineers. Not just technical training, but even some of the intangibles that are part of the job? (e.g. traveling to the client for the first time) Maybe start formal mentoring program?

Overall, a good company

Pros

Coworkers are very nice and helpful, the office environment is friendly, and there's free food at most meetings. Most of the managers are competent, and the business is well run.

Cons

There's little room for advancement, the pay isn't great for the admin staff (much higher for engineers), and the workload can be very inconsistent (feast or famine).

Proofreading is your friend!

every single day is a struggle

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

one can easily get by with minimal interference as long as stays friendly to the supervisors and trade information and gossip for perks in return.

Cons

Low levels of control and massive bureaucracy has frustrated those employees wanting to get things done right. Expect all major and many minor decisions to go through some sort of formal approval process. Lazy co-workers do a poor job at what is asked of them and don't take ownership so that they would not be given more responsibility. Unfortunately, poor performers are rarely coached to better performance or fired for cause. There is a large group of employees that don't work for what they want, instead they play dirty and butter-up the retired in-place supervisors into getting what will eventually be used to their advantage such as a raise or promotion. Over 50% of civil group is comprised of recently hired retirees as independent contractors who are getting paid at senior levels but produce poor quality deliverables and overrun the project budget. The contractors get paid over time which is even more incentive for the slackers to elongate a simple task while permanent engineers struggle with staying billable and getting paid for over time.

Be an authentic reflection of the values and principles listed in the employee manual instead of just preaching about transparency and justice.

Worked for Enercon Services? Contribute to the Community!