Enercon Services

3.3

John Richardson

Up and down

I worked at Enercon Services full-time

Pros

Potential opportunity to work in a variety of industires

Cons

Inconsistent workload leading to job security concerns

Very skeptical of the firm as a whole

I worked at Enercon Services

Pros

None. Except that the salaries and benefits exceed your expectations. I wish there were more pros about working at Enercon. Seriously.

Cons

During career fairs and interviews, they will play extremely hard to get. They will focus solely on your academic transcripts and will go to every course you've taken and ask you as to why your grade was the way it was. If you screw up just one semester at school, you will not even be considered! I mean, who does that? Grow up seriously! The work that they do: 10% design and 90% report writing, if you wanna be a design engineer, this is definitely not the place for you because the work gets monotonous. Bottom line: they always play very hard to get almost as if they're doing rocket science.

Stop looking solely at grades all the time. There is more to a engineer to be than just grades. I know you're trying to seek the best talent, but best talent solely = good grades throughout is so 1980s. Try to accommodate people who learn from their mistakes at grad school. You cannot write off a person just because of one bad semester at grad school. We will seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Engineering is solid, job shoppers are draining resources

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time

Pros

I have had the chance to work on engaging and diverse project in an area of engineering I enjoy. This is good. The compensation is competitive, but you have to fight to get billed. Benefits are competitive.

Cons

The senior contract personnel have inconsistent expectations, and generally, seem to lack technical competence. This leads to them having revolving expectations since they are unable to reconcile what it is they are asking for against what the problem is, wasting time(budget). The budget gets swallowed by their "contributions" which leads to working unpaid OT and under stressful conditions to compensate.

Examine the use of resources at the low level. You have hard working engineers wanting to contribute positively that are getting overrun by mismanaged projects. The budget taken by these senior job-shoppers and sub-par management which could be used to advance high-contribution engineers and help with employee retention.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Technician in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Enercon Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are very nice. As an intern, I did not get micromanaged, and got to work on two different projects. We got a field trip to a nuclear power plant, which was very cool. Never got bored of the projects. Never strict on lunch breaks. Good benefits.

Cons

Too little responsibility. Perhaps because I was an intern, but I had to ask around to see if there was any work I can help out with because there was not much to do that summer.

Lots of Responsibilities

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall good company to work for

Cons

Be prepared to work extra hours in the second part of the year.

One of the best places I have worked....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a strong focus on helping our clients be successful; we emphasize smart, quality service and own up to and take responsibility for our missteps when we make them. Success is celebrated and shared with all employees - the open management style and implementation helps all employees understand the business and where we stand.

Cons

As other reviewers have suggested, the company has grown rapidly in the past several years, and our infrastructure relative to project management and employee training has no always kept up. Fortunately this is receiving considerably more attention these days.

Continue to listen to and digest what the employees "in the trenches" are saying about what frustrates them, and communicate with the staff as to what is being done to continually improve their working environment and their ability to succeed.

Growing Business

Current Employee - Engineer IV in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer IV in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ESOP culture allows sharing with all employees. Pay scales are great.

Cons

Advancement might be slow but ESOP provides a big incentive to stay and build.

Poor Project Management and Direction (Engineer's Perspective)

Former Employee - Engineer III in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Naperville, IL

I worked at Enercon Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has seen aggressive growth over the past 5 years. They have a solid Employee Stock Program and if you're hired as an full time employee, and your half way competent, the work is stable. You won't be fired or let go at the drop of a hat.

Cons

Because the company has seen such aggressive growth there have been many growing pains. The Project Managers I worked worth were rarely competent in actually managing the project. Most engineers end up having to assume a lot of client interaction and project management responsibilities.

The aggressive growth has also been at the cost of under-bidding many projects to get their foot in the door with large utilities. This has resulted in overly aggressive schedules and unrealistic demands on engineers (being asked to work un-paid overtime). Generally the projects that are awarded are throw away jobs that larger companies wouldn't waste their time with. It is difficult to get experience that will be relevant in other fields or at other companies. While interviewing with other companies and mentioning the Enercon projects I worked on I was basically laughed at and told I hadn't learned anything at all.

Many aspects of the job are improvisational, the way most projects are run is similar to a pick up game of basketball, they just kind of wait and see what happens. During times of high demand, for personnel, lots of low quality contractors are usually brought on. They are paid a high hourly wage and have an incentive to drag the project out longer.

Training or mentor programs are non existent. It is basically assumed that you will know how to do what you're asked. This is incredibly difficult when having to do work for multiple utilities, each with their own set of procedures and systems.

Because of the types of projects they work, and management structure that is in place, advancement is difficult. The main goal of management is to hire people with experience they can put into proposals. The most competitive salaries are saved for external hires, raises are just large enough to have you not quit. For lower level engineers, coming up within the company, they want to keep you as long as possible for as cheaply as possible.

Standardize project management and training. Institute some kind mentor program.

yet another top heavy corporation

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time

Pros

perks for higher level engineers such as group leads and supervisors are working from home, being exempt from any design work, extra vacations, control of their work load, and flexible hours.

Cons

Manager and supervisors of the civil group are easily manipulated. In this group manager is always defensive, keeps himself disconnected and reacts in a negative manner when employees raise their concerns instead of improving his ways. Focus of the manager and supervisors is employee replacement vs retention. Overall there's lack of loyalty toward employees and there's a lack of commitment to current employee's professional growth and career development. The manager and his supervisors operate based on gossip, speculation and deceit instead of facts, truth and honesty. Resources are under utilized due to the manager and his supervisors failing to recognize employee's positive contributions. Manager does not defend the engineers at times of distress and engineers are always the ones taking the blame even though they are the lowest in the rankings with no control of the tasks assigned to them.

Engage the lower level engineers once in a while to get the truth instead of only listening to self-righteous group leads, supervisors and managers report as facts.

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Engineer in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Enercon Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work
    The greatest people I've ever worked with
    Constantly driving me to be a better engineer

Cons

Excessive paperwork
    Micromanagement is rampant
    Poor communication on projects, between groups, on future direction of the company

Reduce involvement in day-to-day decisions, and focus on leading