Energy BBDO

Energy BBDO President Tonise Paul

Tonise Paul

Great colleagues, no incentives

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat staff of friendly, cooperative and hard-working people. Compared to many other shops, there are far fewer people walking around with overly-inflated egos. BBDO goes out of its way to hire really intelligent people with the ability to think conceptually. Sitting in meetings with teams, you just can't help but feel inspired to contribute your best thinking. I truly do like working here, even though it is equal parts challenging to enjoyment. Coming to work every day is like hanging out with your friends, except you are all super stressed and over burdened, but still finding a way to laugh in the face of it.

ConsThe agency has been in some sort of belt-tightening phase for the past 3+ years where even though we've won several major accounts, the company continues to tell its people that it can't afford raises, bonuses, or perks to give employees as an incentive to stay. Consequently, we have lost a lot of really good people in the last year. These were people we trained into amazing talents who should have been kept in the family, but they felt compelled to leave in order to be paid what they were truly worth. While people do occasionally get promoted, it is usually in title only, or for just a fraction of an increase that is not the going rate. It is my fear that we will only continue to lose our best and brightest talent because they can easily command higher salaries elsewhere. It is beginning to send a message that no matter how hard you work, or how good you are, the company feels you are ultimately replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a company that appears to be doing so well, why are we so broke? For an organization that claims to value its employees, why is there no love?

Could Be Better

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat client list and the new business team keeps them coming. Inter office perks of food, beverages, parties, music and televised sporting events all help to keep the office vibe light. HR is great at event planning.

ConsWork-life balance is terrible for the global teams, long hours - early and late - (management does not set and reinforce clear work boundaries for each client.) Poor career development planning/support. Promotions are not always matched with salary increases. HR is not a great advocate for individual employee rights and internal promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a serious attitude about career development for every employee with a detailed plan and actionable steps (from the 1st day on the job). Develop a partnership with HR to actively educate, intently train and aggressively promote from within.

good agency, nice brands and clients

Digital Marketer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosgreat culture, fun perks for employees

Conslong hours and heavy demands

Advice to Senior Managementmore communication and management of staff

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get ready for the bus wheels

Chicago, IL

ProsFew and far between. Stocked kitchen. Nice office space.

ConsUnprofessional, loud, obnoxious behavior in the open office space. Spend way too much time and energy blowing up the egos of interns than doing good work. Egos of senior staff are overblown and undeserved. They have a serious millennial problem, like too many given too much praise for doing sub-par creative, As a freelancer I was given responsibility for two brand IMC pitches with 1 week of brand experience on each. Just a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Stop trying to be cool and just do good work.

Met great people but lacking work/life balance

Operations (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture and people I met here were great, but there was a huge exodus that happened around the same time because everyone was dissatisfied with the company. So all those great people eventually left and went on to other agencies.

ConsNo work/life balance. Working till 10pm is a daily experience. Mismanagement of accounts so they didn't staff appropriately.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to have better management and transparency.

Great culture for interns

Account Management Intern (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe internship program is very structured which I liked because it helped me know that I was accountable for some great projects that summer. The culture is very collaborative, laid back, and friendly.

ConsSome days I didn't have much to do, but if you take the initiative to ask your manager for work it goes a long way.

Energy BBDO Creative

Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are extremely creative and the culture is laid back.
    Summer hours. The salons are great too. Mailroom :)

ConsLate, late hours and some weekends. The Wrigley location was amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional development should be encouraged more.

Creative Constipation

Chicago, IL

ProsThe People. The People. The People.

ConsEvery thing but the people. Not making stuff. The constant process. Nothing ever happens. Favoritism! Old school approach to advertising.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate!

Great culture and awesome coworkers!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture is great, it's like one big family! Upper management really cares about even the interns, and makes you feel like you're not just an intern.

ConsThere aren't any I can think of.

Great agency with eye on making great advertising

Account Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLeadership - Good leadership that focuses on putting out good creative work and running the accounts well. Staffing plans sometimes suffer (see Cons), but the company is full of smart people who do good work.

ConsStaffing and Compensation issues.

Staffing - Teams are regularly understaffed or, when employees quit, positions are not filled.

Compensation - Employees are regularly given promotions without raises, often waiting nearly a year for a raise.

Worked for Energy BBDO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Energy BBDO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Energy BBDO CEO Tonise Paul. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Energy BBDO employees.