Energy Future Holdings

Add Photos

Energy Future Holdings President & CEO John F. Young

John F. Young

The Best Company To Work For

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsThey realy care about their employees

ConsCould be a little more relaxed on quality

Decent Company, No Job Security

Intern (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsI enjoyed the people I worked with.

ConsThe company has too much debt to survive. This limits advancement opportunities.

Working at EFH was an amazing opportunity to experience what it is like to work in a enterprise IT management position.

Data Center Configuration Analyst (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsExcellent communication between IT departments.

ConsToo many meetings per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to work on streamlining approval processes for making changes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, but....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is good and the benefits are great

ConsComplete lack of integrity as you move up the organization, with the exception of one or two Vice Presidents in Corporate Services

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not 1960. You need to be a more open, collaborative company. Don't just hold your teams accountable, empower them as well. Given the current status of the company, it is pointless and woefully inefficient to make every decision by committee. And, having your top leaders responsible for approving every minute detail is a recipe for disaster. There are some extremely intelligent and bright people with great ideas that are being silenced or driven out.

Overly Political

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThe work environment is nice, with knowledgeable employees and good compensation.

ConsToo much in-fighting, deception, micro-managing, disorganization, and flat out lack of communication, especially from leadership to their direct reports. Of course, given the fact that EFH is in bankruptcy, it might be a sign of the times. Regardless, EFH is far from a meritocracy, and treatment of it's contractors as team members is sub-par. If you don't mind a good ol' boy system, I'd recommend the company for the learning curve alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGain some integrity.

Great company, but needs work in managing finances

MIS Intern (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThe company is located in downtown dallas, and all of the employees great people. I loved the drive everyone had as well the want see the company excel.

ConsThere's a lot of drama among the employees as well. Every unprofessional at times. The internship program was not planned out well, so often many of the interns were left out from emails.

Meter Services

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosdecent benefits and time off

ConsLow pay while Ceo nets millions

Good place to work if you are comfortable with politics.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsNice office, great people, decent benefits, a lot of change in IT.

ConsPromotions based more on who you know and current favorites - less on actual performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying into the pretty pictures put in front of you by those wanting to get ahead. Be honest with yourselves about what's really going on and who's really making valuable contributions.

Management--support function

Manager (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsPay and benefits are good--above average in some areas. Bonuses are very generous and many there are just nice and enjoyable people with whom to work. If you work in the right areas, you will get experience in power plant operation, energy trading, hedging, nuclear regulatory issues, mining operations and environmental regulations.

ConsThe KKR/TPG leveraged buyout hurt the company. There was an expectation natural gas prices would remain high 8 years ago, and the largely coal fired fleet would make good profits because power is priced on gas generation costs. When TXU was purchased by KKR, coal was a much cheaper fuel (the company reaped the benefits of the fuel cost difference). Without too much detail, the company appears to be heading toward bankruptcy. Financial uncertainty is the biggest Con. The second is a pervasive good ol'boy political network. This did not happen to me, but I witnessed several very good and highly skilled people get passed for promotion or let go in favor of someone's friend in the company. This can play in your favor or against you . . . Just know its a potential problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are three areas for improvement: 1) Employee development is lacking--senior management does not have a grasp of employee skills or how to use them. There are informal networks utilizing people's skills, but often these employees are never recognized for their contribution. 2) Internal Politics drives decisions and information flow. For a company with high debt where every dollar spent is borrowed, this is a roadblock to success. 3) Employee moral is poor--recent cuts to benefits and headcount reductions have people waiting out the economy to find alternate employment. You need to work on giving people some hope. It's a good company with a long history in Texas. People should be excited about working there.

Former Employee

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsIt is a very good place to gain experience and has many resources available to develop your technical skills. Accountants can transfer between departments and gain invaluable transferable skills.

ConsThe career ladder for Accounting types is limited. Career development still needs more work. I hired on from a major oil company where I got promoted 4 times in 8 years, I worked there for 12 years and never got a promotion. I had very good reviews, but the opportunities were not there. I left this year because the stress level was enormous and went to work for another company at higher pay and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, start by developing your employees by providing training, career ladder development, etc. My former company rewarded from within and had higher morale and was very competitive.

Worked for Energy Future Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Energy Future Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Energy Future Holdings CEO John F. Young. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Energy Future Holdings employees.