Energy Transfer Partners

Great People & Great Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners

Pros

Hands down, the people were the best part of the job (management included). The vast majority of co-workers were intelligent, capable and supportive.

Management has high expectations for quality and quantity of work but will recognize a job well done.

Casual dress code.

Cons

Inter-department communication and contractor pay could be better.

Around the time of the merger, there was a lot of uncertainty regarding employment stability and many people felt that they were being kept in the dark.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open with employees to the extent practicable.

2. ETP - General overview

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

It's a great company to work for. It has competitive salaries, great benefits and the work environment is very cool. I like being able to come to work in jeans every day.

Cons

The company is growing very fast and there are many changes such as relocating a lot of employees to Dallas, TX.

3. Amazing work environment

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners

Pros

People, culture, pay, opportunity for promotion

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons

5. Accountant

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Good benefits and good bonus, Salary structure is good

Cons

no 9/80, no half off Fridays

Advice to Management

Need to make adjustments to the work schedule according to the industry

6. SAP Support

Former Employee - Senior SAP SUPPORT ANALYST in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior SAP SUPPORT ANALYST in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary, great benefits, serious work.

Cons

Zero communication about progress from management. My upcoming layoff was not communicated with me, and was treated as a firing for some reason. I heard my department was moving to Dallas and I knew I hadn't been with the company long enough to accumulate a severance so I kept asking my manager what would happen to me since I couldn't move to Dallas. She kept avoiding the question and then a week later told me my last day was today and that I hadn't done the work I was hired to do. This was terrible because nothing had been communicated to me prior to this meeting. Very disappointed in this company, had much higher hopes and expectations.

Advice to Management

If you feel someone isn't keeping up, convey the message to them. Let them know where they are lacking so they have insight into where they need to improve. Don't just call them one day to tell them they are fired.

Pros and Cons

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners

Pros

Stable $, good bonuses. This company knows how to make money.

Cons

Very conservative, good old boy culture that made me uncomfortable at times as a young female; they play Fox News all day at the HQ in San Antonio.

Advice to Management

Consider trying a less rigid approach to the "type" of person you are hiring to move forward as a more diverse, well-rounded organization. Encourage the men at the company to have some sensitivity training.

8. Expect you to be available 24/7

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance. There really are no other benefits but you have to put a 20 word min. Nothing good

Cons

Managers don't respect that not every employee wants to work 80 hr weeks. I've had three managers in less than a year and each one is worse than the last. I have been told I need to answer my personal cell on weekends. I keep getting more work but no compensation for it.

Advice to Management

Management is creating an environment that is fear based. I spend half my day trying to find a reason I did something 6 months ago. If you had processes and decent management in place you wouldn't have to do that. But they keep promoting people from within that have no clue. It could be an amazing company but management is clueless. People don't quit companies they typically quit the management.

9. Great company but Upper Management does not value their employees and have no problem showing it.

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Benefits, relaxed environment, flexible work hours

Cons

Upper management, promises not kept, will not help you advance if your good at what you do, do not value their employees, compensation is VERY low.

Advice to Management

Lazy, need new management

Work/Life Balance needs help

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, company that is on the rise.

Cons

No Flex schedule (No 9/80s, 19/30s etc). A lot of overtime that is not recognized. They just recently changed our sick days for the entire year from 10 days to only 5 days a year! It seems that the San Antonio office has more office building events. Houston office rarely has anything. Commute from downtown Houston is rough. Management is very good about being flexible about personal issues, however the company as a whole should have more work/life benefits for employees to be more marketable.

Advice to Management

Take more anonymous surveys to see how employees feel and really consider before losing a lot of talent.

My review and opinion of Energy Transfer Partners as a former employee

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most field employees are wonderful to work with; you feel like you are working with family! Lower levels of management (from field supervisors to Vice Presidents of the individual companies) are like every company: some are GREAT and some are on power trips and may be better utilized in administrative positions than in positions of authority. Benefits and pay are par for the industry. As far as the upper management is concerned, the company seems to be well managed and focused on providing reliable service to their customers. There is an excellent opportunity for training and on the job learning. Over all Pay raises for job classifications are good, but individual raises in a certain job are based on progressing through skill families by being "signed off' by other employees already in that family. I have seen people that are qualified not getting signed off because of, what appeared to me as, personal issues; conversely, I have seen people getting signed off that, in my opinion, need more on the job experience as well as formal training because of friendships with the evaluator.

Cons

The work/life balance is not good for some employees in the field. Certain locations and job positions are busy and always getting called out as well as being required to travel extensively. Safety is preached, but I have seen it become secondary to reliability on many occasions. This can be a fast paced, highly stressful environment. There also seems to be pressure to contribute to their PAC.

Advice to Management

If I were running the company, I would ask for anonymous upward feedback from employees on their managers as part of the managers regular performance reviews. The managers' evaluations and pay raises would be partially dependant on this feedback, bearing in mind, of course, that there will always be some sour apples and personality conflicts. (That kind of chafe should be easy to separate from the wheat by the content and tone of the feedback).

RSS Feed </> Embed