Energy Transfer Partners

Energy Transfer Partners Chairman and CEO Kelcy L. Warren
Kelcy L. Warren

1. Accountant

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Good benefits and good bonus, Salary structure is good

Cons

no 9/80, no half off Fridays

Advice to Management

Need to make adjustments to the work schedule according to the industry

Pros and Cons

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners

Pros

Stable $, good bonuses. This company knows how to make money.

Cons

Very conservative, good old boy culture that made me uncomfortable at times as a young female; they play Fox News all day at the HQ in San Antonio.

Advice to Management

Consider trying a less rigid approach to the "type" of person you are hiring to move forward as a more diverse, well-rounded organization. Encourage the men at the company to have some sensitivity training.

3. Expect you to be available 24/7

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance. There really are no other benefits but you have to put a 20 word min. Nothing good

Cons

Managers don't respect that not every employee wants to work 80 hr weeks. I've had three managers in less than a year and each one is worse than the last. I have been told I need to answer my personal cell on weekends. I keep getting more work but no compensation for it.

Advice to Management

Management is creating an environment that is fear based. I spend half my day trying to find a reason I did something 6 months ago. If you had processes and decent management in place you wouldn't have to do that. But they keep promoting people from within that have no clue. It could be an amazing company but management is clueless. People don't quit companies they typically quit the management.

Work/Life Balance needs help

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, company that is on the rise.

Cons

No Flex schedule (No 9/80s, 19/30s etc). A lot of overtime that is not recognized. They just recently changed our sick days for the entire year from 10 days to only 5 days a year! It seems that the San Antonio office has more office building events. Houston office rarely has anything. Commute from downtown Houston is rough. Management is very good about being flexible about personal issues, however the company as a whole should have more work/life benefits for employees to be more marketable.

Advice to Management

Take more anonymous surveys to see how employees feel and really consider before losing a lot of talent.

6. Great company but Upper Management does not value their employees and have no problem showing it.

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Benefits, relaxed environment, flexible work hours

Cons

Upper management, promises not kept, will not help you advance if your good at what you do, do not value their employees, compensation is VERY low.

Advice to Management

Lazy, need new management

My review and opinion of Energy Transfer Partners as a former employee

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most field employees are wonderful to work with; you feel like you are working with family! Lower levels of management (from field supervisors to Vice Presidents of the individual companies) are like every company: some are GREAT and some are on power trips and may be better utilized in administrative positions than in positions of authority. Benefits and pay are par for the industry. As far as the upper management is concerned, the company seems to be well managed and focused on providing reliable service to their customers. There is an excellent opportunity for training and on the job learning. Over all Pay raises for job classifications are good, but individual raises in a certain job are based on progressing through skill families by being "signed off' by other employees already in that family. I have seen people that are qualified not getting signed off because of, what appeared to me as, personal issues; conversely, I have seen people getting signed off that, in my opinion, need more on the job experience as well as formal training because of friendships with the evaluator.

Cons

The work/life balance is not good for some employees in the field. Certain locations and job positions are busy and always getting called out as well as being required to travel extensively. Safety is preached, but I have seen it become secondary to reliability on many occasions. This can be a fast paced, highly stressful environment. There also seems to be pressure to contribute to their PAC.

Advice to Management

If I were running the company, I would ask for anonymous upward feedback from employees on their managers as part of the managers regular performance reviews. The managers' evaluations and pay raises would be partially dependant on this feedback, bearing in mind, of course, that there will always be some sour apples and personality conflicts. (That kind of chafe should be easy to separate from the wheat by the content and tone of the feedback).

Great place to work

Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a fast paced company and growing very fast

Cons

It is growing so fast, it is challenging for the internal groups to keep up

Advice to Management

Employees like to know where they are going as an organization. They feel more part of the team if they are well informed.

This company has grown tremendously but has not built the foundation to absorp that growth.

Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, laid back atmosphere and good benefits.

Cons

Lack of professionalism, no communication from managers or intradepartments, people without degrees and accounting degrees performing jobs they don't grasp, no corporate culture of valuing the employees as an asset.

Advice to Management

See above. Need to take a tremendous amount of leadership seminars.

10. Working at Energy Transfer was a great experience in a fast paced and rewarding industry.

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

A rapidly growing company with large projects and a healthy array of opportunities.

I worked with an extremely knowledgeable and helpful team. I would do anything to work in a positive, rewarding environment like that again.

Great engineering talent. My mentor and supervisors were extremely flexible, helpful and provided all the tools needed to get my job done.

I came in contact with a large amount of employees during my time at Energy Transfer and noticed a general trend. Employees here are willing to share information and give guidance on projects.

I was given the opportunity to attend seminars, lunch and learns, vendor training sessions, industry panels and networking opportunities. I met great people here and would definitely recommend this as a top place to work in Houston.

Downtown location is great.

Salary and Benefits are very competitive.

Cons

As with any large corporation there are challenges with working at ETC, but as far as I could tell the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

A bulk of your work comes from a handful of hard working individuals, recognize them, give them feedback, it does wonders for people.

Practice open communication with your employees, it is key for employee morale.

It's all down hill from here

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees of ETC are wonderful people with great skills and a can-do attitude.

Cons

Employees made this company what it is today but are now tossed aside like yesterday's trash. Your IT and HR departments have fallen apart and now it appears that their job is to eat employees' souls for lunch. Try getting necessary staff positions filled, or give an employee a promotion. Its easier to thread a camel thru the eye of a needle.

Advice to Management

Remember, you can have all the meetings you want but its the employees who get the work done. Reward them for their dedication, service, loyalty, long hours, travel, and time way from family. Fix what's broken and get back to being a place the employees want to be because they feel valued (instead of expendable).