Energy Transfer Partners

Updated October 12, 2014
3.2

Energy Transfer Partners Chairman and CEO Kelcy L. Warren
Kelcy L. Warren

Working at Energy Transfer was a great experience in a fast paced and rewarding industry.

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

A rapidly growing company with large projects and a healthy array of opportunities.

I worked with an extremely knowledgeable and helpful team. I would do anything to work in a positive, rewarding environment like that again.

Great engineering talent. My mentor and supervisors were extremely flexible, helpful and provided all the tools needed to get my job done.

I came in contact with a large amount of employees during my time at Energy Transfer and noticed a general trend. Employees here are willing to share information and give guidance on projects.

I was given the opportunity to attend seminars, lunch and learns, vendor training sessions, industry panels and networking opportunities. I met great people here and would definitely recommend this as a top place to work in Houston.

Downtown location is great.

Salary and Benefits are very competitive.

Cons

As with any large corporation there are challenges with working at ETC, but as far as I could tell the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

A bulk of your work comes from a handful of hard working individuals, recognize them, give them feedback, it does wonders for people.

Practice open communication with your employees, it is key for employee morale.

Great company

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners

Pros

Great benefits, competent management, bonus structure, great culture.

Cons

Not too many identifiable problems

Keep it up

My position was an Accounts Payable Clerk in SAP

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a comfortable environment, Even though I was a contract employee I was treated as a permanent employee, also it was positive working environment.

Cons

I actually didn't have any bad times with Energy Transfer, they treated with nothing but kindness.

The only advice that was given was my help with them transition from JD Edwards to SAP due to me having over 10yrs experience with SAP.

Great company but Upper Management does not value their employees and have no problem showing it.

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time

Pros

Benefits, relaxed environment, flexible work hours

Cons

Upper management, promises not kept, will not help you advance if your good at what you do, do not value their employees, compensation is VERY low.

Lazy, need new management

Great place to work

Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a fast paced company and growing very fast

Cons

It is growing so fast, it is challenging for the internal groups to keep up

Employees like to know where they are going as an organization. They feel more part of the team if they are well informed.

Accounts Payable

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners

Pros

Hands- On learning.. Improved over all skills

Cons

Let me go, as there was a company take-over

Basic review

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners

Pros

Good opportunity for recent graduates, great people, no micromanagement

Cons

No cons, great company to work for

Non, everything at this company is great

Work/Life Balance needs help

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, company that is on the rise.

Cons

No Flex schedule (No 9/80s, 19/30s etc). A lot of overtime that is not recognized. They just recently changed our sick days for the entire year from 10 days to only 5 days a year! It seems that the San Antonio office has more office building events. Houston office rarely has anything. Commute from downtown Houston is rough. Management is very good about being flexible about personal issues, however the company as a whole should have more work/life benefits for employees to be more marketable.

Take more anonymous surveys to see how employees feel and really consider before losing a lot of talent.

My review and opinion of Energy Transfer Partners as a former employee

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most field employees are wonderful to work with; you feel like you are working with family! Lower levels of management (from field supervisors to Vice Presidents of the individual companies) are like every company: some are GREAT and some are on power trips and may be better utilized in administrative positions than in positions of authority. Benefits and pay are par for the industry. As far as the upper management is concerned, the company seems to be well managed and focused on providing reliable service to their customers. There is an excellent opportunity for training and on the job learning. Over all Pay raises for job classifications are good, but individual raises in a certain job are based on progressing through skill families by being "signed off' by other employees already in that family. I have seen people that are qualified not getting signed off because of, what appeared to me as, personal issues; conversely, I have seen people getting signed off that, in my opinion, need more on the job experience as well as formal training because of friendships with the evaluator.

Cons

The work/life balance is not good for some employees in the field. Certain locations and job positions are busy and always getting called out as well as being required to travel extensively. Safety is preached, but I have seen it become secondary to reliability on many occasions. This can be a fast paced, highly stressful environment. There also seems to be pressure to contribute to their PAC.

If I were running the company, I would ask for anonymous upward feedback from employees on their managers as part of the managers regular performance reviews. The managers' evaluations and pay raises would be partially dependant on this feedback, bearing in mind, of course, that there will always be some sour apples and personality conflicts. (That kind of chafe should be easy to separate from the wheat by the content and tone of the feedback).

Family work environment at my business unit.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Energy Transfer Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is good, bonuses given in the past (after the last merge - unknown) .

Cons

Few opportunities to grow, almost none in-house training programs, some areas need communication improvement with upper management.

Support employees that want to learn other business area(s) within the company.