Engage3 Reviews

1. great company

Former Employee - Can't Say in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Can't Say in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engage3

Pros

great mindset
    easy to work with the staff

Cons

none that I can describe, my period at Engage was amazing

trust your employees and yourselfs

Engaging—True to the company name

Current Contractor - Recruiting & Human Resources in Davis, CA
    Current Contractor - Recruiting & Human Resources in Davis, CA

I have been working at Engage3 as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

• Passionate and humble employees that are highly motivated and determined to succeed. These individuals mesh together well, yet have such a wide variety of skills and expertise.
    • The company is not afraid of trying new things, and is therefore constantly improving and learning from mistakes without feeling afraid to confront them. They have come so far, and there is so much that has yet to come.
    • Variance of opportunities. I have worked here for several years; in this time, have had experience with recruiting, marketing, quality assurance, and many other areas of the company. I have loved the diverse experiences and understanding all of the inner workings of the company.
    • Fantastic location(s): Downtown in sunny & peaceful Davis and downtown San Francisco.

Cons

• The company expects your full time and effort, meaning often working unconventional hours, such as evenings and weekends. This can be daunting at times; however, I do believe that it is for the best.
    • The current office space in Davis is very small and can get crowded.
    • This company is one that attracts many people, meaning that there is occasionally someone working that may not be there for the right reasons. There has been some tension in the company due to this, but these people quickly become apparent and do not stay for long.

I honestly don't know what advice I could give. Management is currently working towards everything that I can think of suggesting (more team involvement within the company, more company gatherings and social connecting opportunities)

Organization in Shambles

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Engage3 as a contractor

Pros

Work shoulder to shoulder with a very experienced senior team. Opportunities to travel into San Francisco and branch out in your career.

Cons

Poor organizational outlook, company is not guided to a common goal, and communication is very below average. Employees share poor outlook, but won't say anything to their superiors.

Office culture needs to be a priority. Sort out the company direction before hiring more staff.

High Growth Potential

I have been working at Engage3 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is challenging yet satisfying, the people are friendly and supportive, and there isn't a team member at Engage3 that isn't amazing at what they do. The company is headed for the stars, and the opportunities for growth are high. The fast moving environment does take some time to adjust to, however.

Cons

There is no real “off button” when it comes to work, and the hours are long, especially during crunch periods when stress can run pretty high. Additionally cash comp is pretty low, although its supplemented by equity. All this comes with the start-up territory and will hopefully be solved with our next round of funding.

You've got great people who are excellent at what they specialize in. Give them the freedom to get things done how they know best!

6. Demanding yet Rewarding

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Engage3

Pros

This is a SOMA startup with another office in Davis. I work out of the Davis office but am in the SF office 1 day per week. Lots of energy. Interesting data problems to solve. Access to cool tools. Working from home 1 day per week allows me to work on my software instead of sitting in traffic. Lots of really, really smart people.

Cons

Mid-stage startup is like being a tween (no longer a child, but not yet a teen). The company is well past the early stages of euphoria, but not yet to the finish line.

Feb 10, 2015Operations Specialist

You've pointed out the two aspects of Engage3 that make it great: the interesting and challenging problems that we’re solving, and, of course, our “really, really smart people”. We’re glad you agree ... More

Opportunities abound - the timing has never been better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I have been working at Engage3 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The growth opportunities at Engage3 are unparalleled. If you're looking for a team that appreciates initiative, leadership, and dedication, take a look at this company. Engage3 can help you accelerate your career and personal development and is a great chance to work with established entrepreneurs who have succeeded and are back at it again. The industry now has its eyes on Engage3 and ShoppingScout - the timing to join our team has never been better.

Cons

The company has found its stride and has great traction and is therefore looking for "olympic talent." Do not join if you're looking for an easy ride or are not looking to be challenged. Do not join if you're unable to put in the extra work and time.

It will become increasingly important to emphasize training as the company grows.

8. Miserable Dysfunctional Hell-Hole

Former Employee - Employee in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Davis, CA

I worked at Engage3 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good location in downtown Davis.

Cons

This is a miserably dysfunctional company and work environment. The CEO is too greedy to raise capital the normal way, so it's constantly short of money and therefore short of resources. The technical infrastructure isn't up to the workload, so employees are constantly fighting each other. Management tolerates problematic personalities in the workplace, who make life miserable for everyone else, because they don't have the money to hire people with decent social skills. The company uses people in part-time roles to do tasks that should be full-time and on-site, so breakdowns are constant. Management pits employees against each other, and employees form these little cliques that constantly war with each other. The company's product, despite the hype about its "potential," is not taking off because it isn't that great, from the customer's point of view, and doesn't scale at feasible cost. Management gives new hires "equity" packages carefully designed to be worth zero--please read the fine print!

Get over the delusion that treating other people like dirt is a winning strategy.

Jan 29, 2015HR Manager

We are truly sorry you had a bad experience during your time with Engage3. While we don’t necessarily agree with your comments, we definitely respect your opinion. We welcome the opportunity to ... More

Dilbert in a startup

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Engage3 as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart and friendly coworkers. Lots of help and a cooperative environment. Interesting challenges and lots of opportunities to work on interesting things.

Cons

The management is clueless about how their actions are perceived by the workers. There is no work-life balance. Work, work, work. The code base is old and buggy, but there is no time to replace it.

Listen to your employees.

Jan 29, 2015HR Manager

We’re happy to say that we’ve had great success with our internship program over the years. An innovative platform takes time to build and we're always happy to extend that opportunity to students ... More

10. Intelligent team with high enthusiasm.

Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Davis, CA
    Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Davis, CA

I worked at Engage3 as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People are generally smart, friendly, and enthusiastic about their work. The location is at the heart of downtown Davis. Management wants you to succeed.

Cons

Many employees work remotely and some work overseas so communication can be difficult. Most of the quality control team is in India so the timezone difference can make work difficult.

Get to know your interns and staff better. Consider compensating interns for their work better.

Accelerated career path in a challenging high growth environment

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engage3 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Startups are fast paced. As the company grows you'll have the opportunity to become more senior in a shorter amount of time. There's exposure to different projects and technologies. Highly motivated, self-learning individuals that love problem solving, and don't require a lot of over-sight, thrive in this environment. If you rise to the challenge you're given the freedom to do things your way. Before long, you'll be mentoring new team members.

Cons

The project you're working on might get interrupted half-way through by a higher priority. There is a certain amount of pivoting in a startup environment. If you crave a highly structured environment, close supervision, or constant hand-holding, do yourself a favor, stay away!

Monthly company updates are great. Its always inspiring to hear about new partnerships and initiatives. It would be nice to have these weekly or bi-monthly. Performance reviews with constructive criticism might help employees meet and exceed expectations.