Engage3 Reviews

4.0
Engage3 CEO Ken Ouimet
Ken Ouimet

1. Great place to work

I worked at Engage3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience and great work environment. Very family oriented work place.

Cons

Very tough industry to be in.

Advice to Management

Focus on one part of the business and scale.

2. growing pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I worked at Engage3

Pros

I worked at Engage3 for almost 1 year. There are a lot of very smart and hard-working people there. As they compete for Series B funding, their priorities are shifting and that can be disruptive, but the challenges are interesting.

Cons

The legacy code base is a millstone. Rather than trying to keep all services running for the few current users, it would be much better to suspend services while gutting the existing architecture and replacing it with something not designed in the 90s.

3. Bad experience

I worked at Engage3

Pros

Easy interview, free snacks, good location.

Cons

Atmosphere of fear.
    Spur of the moment design changes.
    Supervisors more interested in looking important than helping employees succeed.
    Pressure to stay and work even after productivity falls due to burnout.

Advice to Management

Try to see your employees as humans with human needs.

5. great company

Former Employee - Can't Say in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Can't Say in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engage3

Pros

great mindset
    easy to work with the staff

Cons

none that I can describe, my period at Engage was amazing

Advice to Management

trust your employees and yourselfs

High Growth Potential

I have been working at Engage3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is challenging yet satisfying, the people are friendly and supportive, and there isn't a team member at Engage3 that isn't amazing at what they do. The company is headed for the stars, and the opportunities for growth are high. The fast moving environment does take some time to adjust to, however.

Cons

There is no real “off button” when it comes to work, and the hours are long, especially during crunch periods when stress can run pretty high. Additionally cash comp is pretty low, although its supplemented by equity. All this comes with the start-up territory and will hopefully be solved with our next round of funding.

Advice to Management

You've got great people who are excellent at what they specialize in. Give them the freedom to get things done how they know best!

Opportunities abound - the timing has never been better

I have been working at Engage3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The growth opportunities at Engage3 are unparalleled. If you're looking for a team that appreciates initiative, leadership, and dedication, take a look at this company. Engage3 can help you accelerate your career and personal development and is a great chance to work with established entrepreneurs who have succeeded and are back at it again. The industry now has its eyes on Engage3 and ShoppingScout - the timing to join our team has never been better.

Cons

The company has found its stride and has great traction and is therefore looking for "olympic talent." Do not join if you're looking for an easy ride or are not looking to be challenged. Do not join if you're unable to put in the extra work and time.

Advice to Management

It will become increasingly important to emphasize training as the company grows.

8. Miserable Dysfunctional Hell-Hole

Former Employee - Employee in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Davis, CA

I worked at Engage3 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location in downtown Davis.

Cons

This is a miserably dysfunctional company and work environment. The CEO is too greedy to raise capital the normal way, so it's constantly short of money and therefore short of resources. The technical infrastructure isn't up to the workload, so employees are constantly fighting each other. Management tolerates problematic personalities in the workplace, who make life miserable for everyone else, because they don't have the money to hire people with decent social skills. The company uses people in part-time roles to do tasks that should be full-time and on-site, so breakdowns are constant. Management pits employees against each other, and employees form these little cliques that constantly war with each other. The company's product, despite the hype about its "potential," is not taking off because it isn't that great, from the customer's point of view, and doesn't scale at feasible cost. Management gives new hires "equity" packages carefully designed to be worth zero--please read the fine print!

Advice to Management

Get over the delusion that treating other people like dirt is a winning strategy.

Engage3 Response

Jan 29, 2015HR Manager

We are truly sorry you had a bad experience during your time with Engage3. While we don’t necessarily agree with your comments, we definitely respect your opinion. We welcome the opportunity to ... More

Accelerated career path in a challenging high growth environment

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engage3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Startups are fast paced. As the company grows you'll have the opportunity to become more senior in a shorter amount of time. There's exposure to different projects and technologies. Highly motivated, self-learning individuals that love problem solving, and don't require a lot of over-sight, thrive in this environment. If you rise to the challenge you're given the freedom to do things your way. Before long, you'll be mentoring new team members.

Cons

The project you're working on might get interrupted half-way through by a higher priority. There is a certain amount of pivoting in a startup environment. If you crave a highly structured environment, close supervision, or constant hand-holding, do yourself a favor, stay away!

Advice to Management

Monthly company updates are great. Its always inspiring to hear about new partnerships and initiatives. It would be nice to have these weekly or bi-monthly. Performance reviews with constructive criticism might help employees meet and exceed expectations.

High caliber team with the potential of a killer app

I have been working at Engage3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large majority of the people in the organization are committed to the success of the company and to the success of the Shopping Scout product. Extremely motivated team with eyes on the goal! The energy of the team is infectious.

Cons

Little more emphasis on family time, relaxation. It's difficult to work with a high output each and every day. Time off should be time off and is a great recharge when coming back to work. Personal time is valuable. It can help to step away from the front line to reflect and think at a different pace for new ideas or solutions.

Advice to Management

Consider reducing vacation time or benefits to the newest employees. I feel employees need to pay their dues and earn vacation time. Less than stellar employees abuse the system and quickly take their vacation with the knowledge that they won't be there for much longer. Tighten up on some of the loose spending. It's short of frivolous but spending needs to be more careful.

Great company, we are really growing fast!

I have been working at Engage3

Pros

CEO encourages creativity and is fun to work with. The CEO is also very engaged. We work in teams a lot (e.g. the Tiger Team the Whale Team). The location of the davis office is great. there are restaurants that are in walking distance of the office. We have lots of parties and office lunches. Engage3 hires for personality, too, not just talent. there are fun activities here, like we have bagel Tuesday, sometimes we all like to walk to lunch together.

Cons

The Davis office is very crowded, sometimes hard to find a space. Other than this, i cannot think of much cons

Advice to Management

we could maybe improve by getting more office space, and maybe having more office events (like maybe pizza friday?) to encourage the people to work longer.

Engage3 Response

Jun 17, 2014Intern Coordinator/HR Contractor

Thanks for the feedback! We're currently investigating new locations for our Davis location to address this concern. Regarding office events, expect plenty of those down the road!

RSS Feed </> Embed