EngagePoint

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pradeep Goel

Learning but rapidly changing work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jefferson City, MO

Pros- Pay
    - Flexibility with work
    - Second chances are given to prove yourself
    - Learning environment
    -Good going for a huge projects
    - Getting in new resources when ever needed

Cons- Poor upper management
    - Need more planning before starting the project
    - Not using the resources at the field of skill
    - Very flexible that sometimes it can be a big No no for the project

Advice to Senior Management- Can do better with proper pre-planning and right resource allocation.

No zero stars

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

Proscannot think of any and there is a twenty word minimum limit

Consthey make fake promises to the client with unrealistic deadlines. The employees end up working extended hours. upper management sucks big time!

Advice to Senior Managementget real

EngagePoint: A company with Great Vision and Innovative Leader that Is Growing too Fast

Senior BA, Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

Pros-excellent benefits
    -innovative use of developing technologies
    -good pay

Cons-people placed into the wrong positions due to need rather than based on skills
    -few leaders with an over abundance of managers
    -appear to be unable to move beyond the "honeymoon" period into later stages of systems implementation do to lack of understanding of the nuances of the politics inherent in State Government contracting

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put good people into positions they have no experience in. But if you do, don't be surprised when they fail. It is like asking a All American hockey player to fill in at 3rd base on a baseball team. They simply do not have the skills for the position.

There needs to be a corporate director of quality control that reports directly to the CEO to avoid the ongoing business of crisis management which could be avoided if the management team was more candid with the CEO.

The technical skills of many of the offshore staff (primarily East Indians) are not thoroughly vetted and have never worked in the US or on a government project before. They must understand the culture of the company, the client and the government contracting area. It takes the entire company, not just senior staff, to succeed.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The emperor has no clothes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey make their hiring decisions quickly

ConsThey have a tendency to shoot the messanger

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk. During the interview it was indicated that EP was a process driven in the delivery of their services. When I got on project, there were no service or architectural services in sight

Visionary company with plenty of opportunity for talented employees.

ProsEngagePoint is a visionary, entrepreneurial company that works hard to gain (and maintain) the trust and respect of their clients. Talented employees who show value are promoted. Quarterly performance bonuses are paid. Benefits are solid -- 401k match (with no vesting required), stock options (with vesting), health care 100% paid for employee+1, healthcare savings account (which is a retirement account, not a use/lose), 4 floating holidays, 15 days of PTO the first year, and 20 days of PTO the second year.

ConsThere is a definite "do whatever it takes to get the job done" mentality which can lead to some work/life unbalance. They have been growing so rapidly they are still putting some systems in place for their employees.

Awful

Client Support (Former Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsGetting paid on time? I guess that's a pro.

ConsEverything. It was the worst experience I have ever encountered. There was ZERO support from any type of 'management'. Constant micromanagement. Always something negative to say about you and nothing positive. Don't know what else to say besides that it was awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves.

It has a log way to go

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible working hours and the pizzas

Consnot lot of opportunities to learn new things.

Very fast paced environment with a solid team offering good pay and benefits

Pros- Lots of opportunity for growth & learning new technologies
    - Good, friendly and flexible culture
    - Pay is consistently at or above market average
    - 100% employer paid benefits are nice, PTO accrual rate is above average
    - No micro-managing

Cons- Lots going on so it is sometimes hard to keep up
    - Somewhat disorganized
    - Lack of direction and "macro-managing"

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and get management teams all in sync with corporate direction to provide leadership to lower employees

Take into consideration if making money effortlessly is a goal

Java Developer (Former Employee) Kiev (Ukraine)

Pros- Company cares about the employees somewhat;
    - Fruits every Friday;
    - Good corporate events sometimes;
    - Can get a good PC if you're lucky or valuable enough;
    - English language courses for beginner through upper-intermediate levels;
    - Table tennis table though a lot of competition :);
    - Possibly an L1-B sponsoring company though with many drawbacks.

Cons- Really really bad management. Don't let the interview fool you: although a claim is made that the company practices Agile methodologies, no communication between business people (and not even BAs) was there in my time with the company whatsoever;
    - Changes in requirements are not handled gracefully;
    - PMs are committed to Jira way too much. And I mean you can be in a stand-up meeting for 30 minutes and all you can hear is issue identifiers but not domain-related talk;
    - The commitment to a bug tracker leads to people being judged by number of issues closed not by the value they brought. This results in that people are doing a lot of stuff by hand where some neat and handy libraries can be taken advantage of. The end result is a closed issue, logged work time and a few hundreds lines of code instead of real progress;
    - Did I mention 30 minutes long monologue-like stand-up meetings?
    - No retrospectives are being done, backlog is always out of control but one should be prepared for plannings every week that eat up to 2 hours of your precious time;
    - Work time logging receives way too much attention;
    - Testing is not being valued at all. This results in lack of comprehensive unit tests suites (although some integration testing may be performed) not to mention complete absence of performance testing;
    - Way too many entry level developers are being hired which results in bloated teams and lack of considerable progress within some of them;
    - Business trips to the US on a B1 visa which is a fraud from the US laws point of view. Safe for an employer but puts the employee at risk;
    - Out of date technologies;
    - Most of the code base is plain bad which at the end comes at no surprise

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly there has to be considerable amount of time and effort invested to learn what being Agile really means;
    Put emphasis on testing;
    Put much much more emphasis on testing;
    And even more;
    Listen to your engineers;

Worked for EngagePoint? Contribute to the Community!