Engenderhealth

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.6

Pamela W. Barnes, MBA

Mission-driven organization; flexible family oriented employer

Former Employee - Program Advisor
    Former Employee - Program Advisor

I worked at Engenderhealth

Pros

generous telecommuting policy; decent salaries and benefits
    global health mission with strong gender lens
    well-established and respected organization
    strong reputation in many countries

Cons

frequent changes of leadership at the top over last ten years has not meshed well with long term staff
    poor attraction and retention of younger tier of leaders and managers
    behind the curve programmatically; slow to innovate and/or take risks that could have moved the agency forward

Cultivate new talent at both HQ and in the field
    Improve documentation of EH strategies that work and what the organization is doing that is new
    Make new strategic partnerships that can push the agency forward into new areas

Senior Program Associate

I have been working at Engenderhealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are generally great and the travel opportunities are good.

Cons

Morale is low as there seems to be little faith in management decisions.

Valuable organization with declining funding

Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Engenderhealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my experience at EngenderHealth. Had a great supervisor and lots of opportunities to take on new responsibilities. Got to travel the world doing work I believed in.

Cons

The number of staff based in the US has dropped as funding for EngenderHealth's funding declines. They used to have a unique niche (long-acting and permanent methods of family planning, fistula care, gender), but other organizations are now encroaching on that space.

The titanic is sinking so get your lifeboat ready

I have been working at Engenderhealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, great vacation, exceptional field staff, great benefits and 40 hour work weeks.

Cons

The organization is falling apart due to poor senior management and a change in the funding landscape. Ninety percent of the staff are looking for new opportunities and anyone who isn't should start as the organization at HQ is shrinking. Senior leadership is clueless and they are generally only looking out for themselves and don't care about the company's future as they're all just planning for retirement.

They're not going to listen so any recommendations are pointless.

Short term thinking yields short term results

I worked at Engenderhealth

Pros

EngenderHealth's mission has the ability to reach so many people who dont have access to good health resources. The teams are very laid back and its a low pressure office environment. The benefits are pretty great for an NGO (vacation, salary, retirement).

Cons

Many of the people are complacent and only willing to do the bare minimum to get by. Most of these people are on their way out and do not care what happens and many of these are the technical leadership. The CEO seems bipolar between being 'one of the team' and then making requests that do not align with the perpetuity of the company. This makes for a hostile work environment where its unclear what to expect next.

decent company to work for

I have been working at Engenderhealth full-time

Pros

good people, benefits are good time off policies are good

Cons

no much cons really. I mean not a perfect place but it's not bad

Do your homework

I have been working at Engenderhealth

Pros

Legacy of great programming in family planning, decent benefits package for an NGO

Cons

Leadership in the NY office leaves something to be desired, which is trickling down to all other positions, people, and even in the field. 90% of the NY staff are looking for new jobs and if not, they should be. Volatile environment that may not hold up against the competition.

It may be too late, but pay attention to your staff and invest in their success.

Used to be a great place to work

I worked at Engenderhealth full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Mission is important but EngenderHealth no longer has its niche or edge.

Cons

Very poor senior leadership who lack technical expertise and heart to keep the organization alive.

Visible decline

I have been working at Engenderhealth

Pros

EngenderHealth does great work and has many employees that are extremely hard working and intelligent individuals. They also have a good benefits package.

Cons

The organizations is slowing ripping apart at the seams. Unsustainable talent retention due to dependence on grant funding for specific projects. Dying donor base. Mismanagement. Employees lacking innovation or vision and dinosaurs sticking around that continue to do things the same way for decades. Dreary atmosphere. There is no communication between the different department, i.e. the communications team doesn't know what the program team is doing and vice versa. People are quitting every week and it will be surprising if this organization is able to pull through. All non-profits are suffering in this field and this economy but EH seems to be hit especially hard. Changes need to be made. The external relations team has an exciting marketing campaign but it's taking years to launch - it may be too late.

Celebrate your employees successes and harness their specific skills to improve the organization. Listen to new ideas and create more communication between departments so everyone knows what's going on. Take younger employees seriously and stop shoving them into administrative positions when they are qualified to achieve so much more.

It's About To Fall Apart

I have been working at Engenderhealth

Pros

I was first atracted to the company because they wanted to grow and were going to committ resources to do that. I also enjoyed the flex work environment.

Cons

Personally, I think I was set up to fail. The resources we discussed during the interview process did not totally materialize. The funding was cut to my program but I was expected to achieve the same results. Additionally, when it came to making things happen, more often than not, I was the one who was expected to do everything with slim to no support from the rest of the team or leadership.

If you want to achieve the results that make a difference, you need to invest your money and people in meeting that goal.

Engenderhealth Photos