Engility Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
3.1

Engility President & CEO Tony Smeraglinolo
Tony Smeraglinolo

Pros
  • When the company was still with L-3/MPRI is was a great company to work for (in 5 reviews)

• The busy-bee workers are all great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises, bonus', no 401K match and refuse to negotiate on benefits, leave etc (in 7 reviews)

• No 401K match, little opportunity for training (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Had a great internship experience, everyone was very helpful and nice.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Engility as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great boss, everyone was happy to answer questions and help out.

Cons

did not have an in depth view of the client site where many employees worked

Satisfactory Government Contractor

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Engility full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong customer focus, which is to be expected from a long time govt. contracting company. As an 'embedded' support personnel at a customer site, keeping the customer satisfied is the priority, and adequate support is given in that pursuit.

Cons

Recent and forecast growth is through acquisitions. This does lead to difficulties and challenges integrating the companies, adjusting expectations, and managing the employee benefits. Having now been on both ends of the acquisition story, I feel Engility is doing an above-average job of integrating new companies, but there is still room for improvement. Lack of 401K contributions is one particular sticky point.

So far it has been a positive experience working here.

Current Employee - Defense Contractor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Defense Contractor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Engility full-time

Pros

So far it has been a positive experience with my short time with Engility. I hope that I can continue to grow with this company and enjoy a long career with the company.

Cons

I was disappointed when my old company was sold to Engility as our benefits had been up in the air. I am still awaiting the notices of what our benefits package will be before I have any cons with that respect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The continuous changes in leadership results in a lack of organizational direction

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Engility full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work experience and opportunities.

Cons

Lack of clear career path.

Damaging the brand

I have been working at Engility full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Reasonable pay. Good coworkers. Interesting job. PTO is average for the industry (with some qualifications). I cannot complain about the basic functioning (i.e. we get paid on time).

Cons

Soon after I was hired there was a "reorganization" at headquarters, resulting in massive layoffs for support personnel. This is sort of a death-spiral move, as simple things seem to take longer than they should (for example, a flip-flop on PTO policy is sitll unresolved in the bookkeeping software... a year or more since the changes). Compared to other companies, the overseas PTO policy is penny-wise, pound foolish. When I worked for L3 (prior to our sub-company being split off into Engility), the company paid full ride home on PTO. The next contract paid the first leg out of country (e.g. to Dubai or Istanbul). Now there is no support at all PTO. This would not be an issue if salary had not decreased with each contract, too. I know that every contract is different, but the upshot is that the "rolodex" of people that used to jump at a pop-up contract is diminishing, and the reputation MPRI had built for being able to fill immediate jobs with quality people is being squandered.

Commit to fewer "sub" contracts. Not being prime brings some cultural issues into play that will make me think twice the next time a search goes out to fill a billet.

Most aggressive company in the market when it comes to trying to be competitive in tough market

Current Employee - Director  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Engility full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management mindset that the first rule of being an "employer of choice" is to continue to be an employer. Doing everything they can to retain and win new jobs in a tough market. Love the values of the company (customer focus, differentiated, servant leadership, and earned trust) and believe the management really tries to lead using these values. Very good effort to communicate to employees with transparency. Leading consolidation in the industry through acquisitions.

Cons

Changing strategies and organization structure quickly (trying to be agile) but creates some disruption and change fatigue. Previously had lots of work in Iraq and Afghanistan and that creates challenges (business shrinking) as that work goes away. Very lean infrastructure means that there is little slack so high are expectations all the time.

Keep up the good work. It will pay off when the government starts awarding programs again. Keep making acquisitions and integrating them into the company so we can get new customers and expand our offerings. Adding technical discriminators to lowest cost provider positioning will help us win both LPTA and best value work in the future

Great Company

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Engility full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

experienced staff
    great benefits
    team was great to work with

Cons

not a lot of flexibility offered

The company helped to develop me technically.

Current Employee - Test Engineer II
    Current Employee - Test Engineer II

I have been working at Engility full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

God benefits and customer relations.

Cons

Transferring to new job and lay offs.

Please start a new 401K employer 100% matching account.

Senior Project Engineer

I worked at Engility

Pros

Great people. Challenging work.

Cons

Environment changed for the worse when the company merged with L3's services divisions

Love to work at Engility

I have been working at Engility full-time

Pros

The culture is very positive. Employees are strongly encouraged to be proactive problem solvers. Management genuinely cares about the employees here and is very receptive to process improvement suggestions.

Cons

Big company with many departments that could do better at inter-company communication.

Continue to value employees and listen to feedback.

Worked for Engility? Contribute to the Community!