Engility

Engility Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Engility President & CEO Tony Smeraglinolo

Tony Smeraglinolo

Pros
  • When the company was still with L-3/MPRI is was a great company to work for(in 5 reviews)

• The busy-bee workers are all great people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises, bonus', no 401K match and refuse to negotiate on benefits, leave etc(in 7 reviews)

• No 401K match, little opportunity for training(in 6 reviews)

Love to work at Engility

ProsThe culture is very positive. Employees are strongly encouraged to be proactive problem solvers. Management genuinely cares about the employees here and is very receptive to process improvement suggestions.

ConsBig company with many departments that could do better at inter-company communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to value employees and listen to feedback.

Highly Ethical, Agile and First-Movers.

Recruiting Manager (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsThe collaboration and transparency is bar none. Imagine going to work being four steps (If that!) to the CEO, having total transparency and leaders actually listening to your ideas.

ConsHonestly, I do not feel there are "Cons!" The company has good benefits, perks and I have the work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing! Collaborating, providing transparency, making positive strides towards improvements, business alignment and people strategies.

Best place to work in aviation projects.

Test Engineer II (Former Employee) Atlantic City, NJ

ProsA friendly company and happy employees.

ConsContract over results in laid-off

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging but a great place to work with good people.

ProsThe team I directly work with is made up of some amazing, hard-working, knowledgeable people and the fast-paced environment makes it impossible to ever be bored. The location is a great and easy commute and I appreciate that the leadership is trying to be business-savvy in their decision making in order to protect the greater whole. I highly support the company values and leadership.

ConsTools. Legacy systems have made it very difficult for different departments to easily work together electronically. Advancements and changes are in the process of being made, which is great! However it is a slow process. The legacy systems also make it difficult for employees who aren’t legacy to understand processes and procedures. Communications need to be increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementFactor in morale. The balance between smart business decisions and things like the 401(k) matching, annual raises, etc. is understandably tricky. However, keep in mind the damage that is done to employee morale is harder to remedy than earning money. At the very least, communicate NUMBERS to the employees so they can fully understand any decision made by management. Make personal interaction during recompetes a personal process and focus on employee retention.

Senior Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Lexington Park, MD

ProsExcellent Leadership througout the organization

ConsTransitions between existing contracts and new opportunities is challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide updates on proposal submittals and contract awards throughout the company.

Director

Talent Acquisition Director (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsThe people I work with every day make me happy to come to work and I love my leadership too!

ConsLosing contracts to the competition and seeing good employees leave because we didn't win the recompete.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the transparency and the open sharing of information. The site visits by senior leadership is really a wonderful thing to do to get to know the employees at remote sites and hear what they have to say!

ENGILITY IS AN AWESOME PLACE TO WORK!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsEngility is one of the best places that I have ever worked. I am among a very dedicated team of people who believe in our mission and support us all 100% in the work that we do every day. This is a very rewarding place to work and is only getting better!

ConsWe have our challenges as the defense contracting world is a chanllenging environment to be in but I thrive on that and it only makes me a more determined employee. Nothing is easy - no company is perfect but I am among the best and plan on staying here for a very long time!

Advice to Senior ManagementKEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND FOCUS ON OUR MISSION TO BE THE VERY BEST IN OUR INDUSTRY!

Busy but fun!

Corporate Employee (Current Employee)

ProsThe group I work with is awesome, location is a great commute and the company is trying to move forward in the right direction

Conssometimes the different departments have challenges working together towards common goals, but we are getting there :)

Advice to Senior Managementcan we make sure to give corporate employees raises this year? No raise in 2 years is really tough and with no 401K match budget is stretching tight. When you don't reward hard workers with at least their 3% increase, motivation decreases. With no bonus potential for most people in the company, hard to want to stay long term, makes this more a check box on the resume as opposed to a career opportunity company.

Great company, been in the same position for over 15 years.

Program Analyst (Current Employee) Westwego, LA

ProsGreat benefits, all government holidays paid

ConsGovernment Contract Re-competes every few years. Very stressful during that time.

Its okay.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSome interesting projects within various parts of government - Federal, state, and local. Ability to migrate among projects, if desired. Flexible hours as permitted by the client. Business casual when appropriate. Of course, mileage may vary with managers.

ConsEngility is choosing growth through acquisition. Buying companies with desirable contracts and backlogs.
    Maybe good, maybe not good for personnel of the company acquired. Inevitably, layoffs of duplicate services, HR, recruiting, and finance.

In a recent cost cutting move to bring all benefits into one common plan, all paid time off (PTO, both sick and vacation) was summarily capped at 4 weeks. A pay cut without compensation for long time employees of companies that were acquired. The move makes me suspicious of what else might be next.

Matching 401K contributions are once per year. If you aren't employed on January 1st of the following year, you don't get a salary match for the previous year.

Directors and above seem to receive stock option grants, but not the rank and file. So, no financial incentives to tie one to the company.

Opportunities to attend training are met with resistance. Cost is a big factor leading many to forgo formal training. Engility seems to strive to meet an industry minimum among government contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy opinion at the moment is that Engility is just another government contractor. Not quite a magnet for the best and the brightest. But I will concede that my view may be skewed.

Employees, not management acumen for acquisitions, is the core strength of the company. Without any long term incentives to keep them around, knowledge will walk.

Worked for Engility? Contribute to the Community!