Engine Yard

Beau Vrolyk
1 Rating

Cool place to work

I worked at Engine Yard

Pros

Engine Yard is a great place to work. Very passionate employees. Excellent product. Focus on quality. Very innovative. Interesting group of people.

Cons

Like any venture-backed company, it's a lifestyle commitment to work at Engine Yard. It will be a time commitment and the work of each person matters. Slackers need not apply.

Best group of people I have ever worked with.

I have been working at Engine Yard

Pros

Extremely intelligent and dedicated people work here developing cutting edge technology and providing superior customer service. There are not many places you find such talent.

Cons

Long hours but it's getting better. Working with cutting edge technology can be good and bad depending on your goals.

Remember the principles the company was built upon. Continue to hire managers based on those principles.

Cautiously hopeful

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The new CEO is actually really great. Engine Yard needed this. The choices he's made are ones that should have been made a long time ago. I think he also pays attention to what we're good it, which has always been a gripe of mine. He's learning what we're able to do well and trying to build on that. He wants to keep our big customers and figure out how to make our platform work for the people that need it most.

Company culture has rebounded a bit since the layoffs. Hiring is resuming with focus on engineering (yay).

Cons

When you deal with so many people's core businesses, security is very tight. Though it's expected, it can be cumbersome on a day to day basis.

The time needed to accomplish fixes of underlying issues is still hard to come by.

Company perks have been cut back recently, but this is to be expected.

The agile methodology that has been adopted recently can be cumbersome and overly specific at times. Allow for engineering creativity in solving challenges rather than exhausting the challenge before it gets to the engineers.

The CEO has recently outlined what he wants to accomplish. I would be ecstatic if we stick with that direction long enough to really achieve something. The worst thing we could do is find a way to shoehorn the things we were doing into the new framework so that nothing changes once again. The pattern of direction changing without day to day work changing is difficult to endure. Pay attention to ticking time-bombs and involve engineers in the decision process of what needs to happen and how to solve it. Guidelines are better than exact specs.

A rough couple of years, but things finally seem to be turning around

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, above-average compensation, highly distributed team, interesting technical challenges. Teams are finally communicating and progress is once again being made.

Cons

Traditionally, senior management at Engine Yard has been astonishingly poor, including and especially at the top position. This effectively brought all forward momentum at the company to a halt. That said, all of the current executives are relatively new to the company, and they're making coherent (albeit difficult) decisions about personnel and strategy.

You have a good plan in place, and you have the right teams to execute it. Let those teams finish what they've started, and don't change direction yet again.

Pretty good!

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Engine Yard as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment; the company does a lot to ensure its employees are happy (lots of after hours events, etc).

Cons

Not much. Same as any mid-size company.

Opensource friendly

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Engine Yard as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Engineyard allows me to work on opensource full time and it is rare I do internal tasks - kind of dream job.

Cons

Working from foreign country makes it a bit complicated, I need to account for vacations and sick days on my own. Rather low amount of communication, but as I'm doing work unrelated to the company it can be expected.

Leadership cannot focus and prioritize

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Competitive Salary
    - Laid back work environment, good work/life balance
    - Colleagues are generally smart and nice
    - Lots of autonomy in your work
    - Well regarded brand in the startup world, so it's a good training grounds if you want to go work at another startup
    - They finally fired John Dillion

Cons

- Execs cannot focus or prioritize, so resources are spread thin
    - They tried to be everything to everyone, with the attempt to be a polyglot company, which is not a good strategy with the engineering resources they have. Ended up poorly executing those strategies.
    - They try to save money by hiring more inexperienced people who have no idea what they are doing, which is a burden on people who are more experienced and properly trained in their function.
    - Lack of processes and discipline on enforcing the little processes they do have leads to chaos when trying to get anything done efficiently
    - Extremely high turnover makes it difficult to maintain any momentum, lots of talented execs and employees have left
    - New CEO ended up cutting costs through layoffs. Let go talented employees and kept some incompetent ones.

Think holistically about the consequences of cutting costs. Good luck.

Flexible employer, disconnected teams. Work on an interesting, complex product

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of smart people around, and employees enjoy some flexibility in terms of remote work. People move around and sync up remotely as needed without issue.

Cons

Communication and cultural voids between different parts of the organization - overall teamwork isn't great. Not a lot of visability into what different parts of the company are doing, various leadership/exec teams have come and gone.

No proper HR, cultural problems = lots of employee churn.

Constant undercurrent

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experience and connections in the community. Lots of opportunities to participate in conferences (although less of that now perhaps). Some very sharp people work here. The outstanding commitment of supporting the customers. The teamwork, especially within teams.

Cons

The undercurrent. The hipster crowd not accepting others outside their limited world. Communications and cooperation between teams is nearly non-existent - for example engineering and any team. Or marketing and most other teams. It's just weird. No attempt at cross-functional project management. Lack of respect. Constant management change. Changing management makes more changes without understanding past mistakes, or the world they are now in.

Seriously. Wake up and smell the culture. Be the example that you need to be. Attempt to improve the undercurrent. If you can improve the culture - first - then you have a better chance at making the great changes that you dream of. But without the people working as a team, it just is not going to happen.

Major ups and downs

I have been working at Engine Yard part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty decent compensation, the majority of employees are bright, interesting people. A growing industry with lots of room for growth. Customers on the cutting edge of web development

Cons

The company culture has gone downhill - many employees seem burnt out on the constant change; no official policy for annual raises or long term benefits

Improve interdepartmental communication and create long-term incentives for veteran employees

Engine Yard Photos