Engine Yard Reviews

1. Getting a litte better

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engine Yard

Pros

New CEO seems to have more focus and direction. Finally making improvements that are aimed at our customers instead of investing in speculative partnerships that don't bear fruit.

Cons

Slow growth so no room for advancement or growth. Limited chances to invest in new tech or grow as a developer. Previously lots of wasted effort.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on customers!

2. Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is starting to come out of a bit of a period of stagnation, and it feels exciting. There's been a lot of badly needed change - new CEO, better leadership, new strategies, new office spaces. Teams seem to be finally working well together!

The company has stayed true to allowing remote work, employees tend to enjoy lots of flexibility. Commitment to open source efforts and involvement with conferences and community events are still a great part of the company culture.

Cons

Not everything is figured out yet, and there's a strain on resources to get lots of things done - sometimes that can be stressful.

Advice to Management

As you work to refocus the company's strategy and trajectory, more could be done to keep employees happy, involved and engaged.

Cautiously hopeful

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new CEO is actually really great. Engine Yard needed this. The choices he's made are ones that should have been made a long time ago. I think he also pays attention to what we're good it, which has always been a gripe of mine. He's learning what we're able to do well and trying to build on that. He wants to keep our big customers and figure out how to make our platform work for the people that need it most.

Company culture has rebounded a bit since the layoffs. Hiring is resuming with focus on engineering (yay).

Cons

When you deal with so many people's core businesses, security is very tight. Though it's expected, it can be cumbersome on a day to day basis.

The time needed to accomplish fixes of underlying issues is still hard to come by.

Company perks have been cut back recently, but this is to be expected.

The agile methodology that has been adopted recently can be cumbersome and overly specific at times. Allow for engineering creativity in solving challenges rather than exhausting the challenge before it gets to the engineers.

Advice to Management

The CEO has recently outlined what he wants to accomplish. I would be ecstatic if we stick with that direction long enough to really achieve something. The worst thing we could do is find a way to shoehorn the things we were doing into the new framework so that nothing changes once again. The pattern of direction changing without day to day work changing is difficult to endure. Pay attention to ticking time-bombs and involve engineers in the decision process of what needs to happen and how to solve it. Guidelines are better than exact specs.

5. A rough couple of years, but things finally seem to be turning around

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, above-average compensation, highly distributed team, interesting technical challenges. Teams are finally communicating and progress is once again being made.

Cons

Traditionally, senior management at Engine Yard has been astonishingly poor, including and especially at the top position. This effectively brought all forward momentum at the company to a halt. That said, all of the current executives are relatively new to the company, and they're making coherent (albeit difficult) decisions about personnel and strategy.

Advice to Management

You have a good plan in place, and you have the right teams to execute it. Let those teams finish what they've started, and don't change direction yet again.

6. Leadership cannot focus and prioritize

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive Salary
    - Laid back work environment, good work/life balance
    - Colleagues are generally smart and nice
    - Lots of autonomy in your work
    - Well regarded brand in the startup world, so it's a good training grounds if you want to go work at another startup
    - They finally fired John Dillion

Cons

- Execs cannot focus or prioritize, so resources are spread thin
    - They tried to be everything to everyone, with the attempt to be a polyglot company, which is not a good strategy with the engineering resources they have. Ended up poorly executing those strategies.
    - They try to save money by hiring more inexperienced people who have no idea what they are doing, which is a burden on people who are more experienced and properly trained in their function.
    - Lack of processes and discipline on enforcing the little processes they do have leads to chaos when trying to get anything done efficiently
    - Extremely high turnover makes it difficult to maintain any momentum, lots of talented execs and employees have left
    - New CEO ended up cutting costs through layoffs. Let go talented employees and kept some incompetent ones.

Advice to Management

Think holistically about the consequences of cutting costs. Good luck.

7. Going the wrong way

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with smart people and to be creative. In an industry that should be growing.

Cons

Management is focused on cutting expenses not growing the business. After a layoff of 17% of the company, with very little sales staff and no new services it is hard to see how they can remain afloat.

Advice to Management

Reward your hard working employees by giving them decent severance packages and eliminate the pain that you know you will have to put them through within a year.

8. Grave Yard

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office is in a nice location

Cons

Just about everything.
    Horrible developer culture who are always complaining and unhelpful.
    Absent CEO
    Very little to learn - industry is being consolidated by AWS and other IaaS, there will be very little need for a PaaS in a couple of years

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board - replace the CEO and most of the executive team.

9. Imagine the Exact Opposite of a Bullet Train

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Engine Yard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has so little momentum that it's a pretty relaxed place to be. Now, I want to recognize that there were folks who were grinding on emergencies, fires, and (usually unnecessary) deals but "I" felt the pacing to be slower than much of Silicon Valley. Outside of the typical, "why isn't this ready yet?" questions, execs don't ask very tough (or insightful) questions so it's not necessary to be completely present.

Your choice of Macbook Air or Pro.

Cons

Little to no growth, high churn, aimless management team, and above all, a completely absent CEO. I'm pretty sure he has a daily reminder that goes off at 7:45AM that says, "Go be CEO," which I assume he usually ignores. I do like his jacket though, and I can only hope that my hair will have that devilishly handsome silver luster in my later years.

Advice to Management

At this point? I'd say take whatever money is left and just have a huge blowout party in southeast Asia or something. It's be wild and probably a better use of funds anyway.

10. Constant undercurrent

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience and connections in the community. Lots of opportunities to participate in conferences (although less of that now perhaps). Some very sharp people work here. The outstanding commitment of supporting the customers. The teamwork, especially within teams.

Cons

The undercurrent. The hipster crowd not accepting others outside their limited world. Communications and cooperation between teams is nearly non-existent - for example engineering and any team. Or marketing and most other teams. It's just weird. No attempt at cross-functional project management. Lack of respect. Constant management change. Changing management makes more changes without understanding past mistakes, or the world they are now in.

Advice to Management

Seriously. Wake up and smell the culture. Be the example that you need to be. Attempt to improve the undercurrent. If you can improve the culture - first - then you have a better chance at making the great changes that you dream of. But without the people working as a team, it just is not going to happen.

11. Disconnected, disjointed, unfocused culture

I have been working at Engine Yard

Pros

You have a lot of freedom to do what you want to do, which leads to good work/life balance.

Cons

There are a lot of strong personalities and everyone seems to be pursuing their own agenda rather than serving the user or some unified corporate team goal. Very unwelcoming to new people.

Advice to Management

Get everyone on board with the corporate goals! Communicate more openly. Make sure that when you use the word "transparency" you are walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

Engine Yard Photos