England Logistics

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jason Beardall

I enjoy working here, I work hard, but no sales job is easy.

I have been working at England Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsI think the best part of this job is the stability of the company. They have been in business for a long time. I came from a start up and I worked very hard, but didn't get paid for the last two months I was there.
The management is a young team, as far as experience, so a learning curve to go through, but I have found them to be open and honest with all dealings I have had. I like the job, even though it is a numbers game, but what sales job isn't. It takes picking up the phone and talking to people and following up to be successful here. More of a mind over matter type of thing. I like the opportunity to make money and advance based on my own efforts.

ConsI think one of the big challenges here is the ramp and sometimes there is turnover you don't expect. I have worked in other inside sales jobs and turnover is a fact of life. You can almost pick who will make it and who won't based on attitude and activity.
I have read some of the comments here and I am guessing they are people who left unhappy. I think that can be seen as a con of working here. People leave here and then write terrible comments online. Sometimes it can be discouraging,but what helps me is I talk to the people on the phone who I am working with or calling as prospects, it lightens the day. If you think positive and work on hitting a goal, you usually end the day on a good note.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think I would advise management to weed people out who act negative and say terrible things about the company and the management. It is a cancer. When you are working in a job where you continually say negative things and act as if the world owes you, you are taking everyone down with you. I think management should focus on those who work hard and have a positive attitude. I have worked in other companies and just because I thought it was right, didn't mean management would change everything and take my advice. What I did find was that when I was on goal and worked for it, I was given respect and listened to. I think it is a two way street. I don't always agree with the managment here, but I really wouldn't wnat o be in thier place either. If I could do a better job, I guess I would be the president of the company, but since I am one of the worker bees, I would advise the managment here to just be fair, consistent and think of the person who is actually doing the day to day job.

Happy with what I have.

I have been working at England Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsCelebrations of success like no other. The company gives back more then any other company I have worked for, management truly care for the employees. For a company to go out of there way to spend money on programs that help make the business better but your own life as well, I cant thank them enough.
Its a great TEAM!

ConsNone, People could always list or say unhappy things but for me, I am employed with benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere will always be those employees that think they are entitled to the gold ring, but if they deserved that coveted gold ring they would have it. I have worked for several large corps and for a business that stays on a personal level with the employees is incredible. Only those that have had management positions or leadership positions can see and recognize you going out of your way for us. So for all the employees, Thank you for the job.

Great Company, Great People, Hard Work

I have been working at England Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company is full of awesome people. You'll work hard here but it will be rewarded in many ways like, career advancements, earnings, company parties, lots of celebrations, etc. there are some brutal reviews on here that are clearly from whiners that ultimately didn't make the cut and need someone to blame to make themselves feel better. I've been with the company for 19 months and have been promoted. I've talked personally with each member of executive management including the President as well as see interact with them regularly like everyone else in the company and they are good people that are driven, honest and care about the people.

ConsIt's HARD work! Not that it's a grind unless you can't keep up. But it will test you and you'll grow. It would be nice to let our hair down more often during business hours. Health insurance isn't great but that seems tough to come by anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in better benefits. They aren't horrible but they certainly aren't great.

Blah, Blah, Blah...

I have been working at England Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsAs stated many, many, many times in pervious post, the only pros coming out of these postings are from management. They will say whatever they need to cover their butts. That is the England Logistics way...

ConsThe list is too long to even start. Although I will admit that this could be a good company, but the management is continuing stagnant operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management who actually understand their respective departments, we're here to make money not be harassed about numbers that the management themselves doesn't understand.

Long hours, escalating ramps, low compensation, and extreme favoritism in promotional opportunities.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at England Logistics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat and talented people in the trenches. Exciting job (hard to look at it like a career). Challenges vary from day to day.

ConsMisguided management goals, long hours, and very few promotion opportunities. Everything is geared towards making the President of the company happy. He is an ego maniac who pays lip service to caring about the people in the company. What a joke. He promotes only yes men and fights to appoint more of them to the board when he faces challenges from executives who actually know what they are doing. Hie rein has been added by an explosive division of carrier services and a growth trend set in motion by Josh England.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less greedy. You hold the Senior Account Manager job up on a pedistal, but almost none of them cleared 6 figures last year. People who brought in $300,000 in margin and more! You hold the non-compete over their head and grind them to the none. $100k stress, hours, and effort for $60-90k. You should be ashamed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

High Turnover and Headed South

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at England Logistics

ProsHonestly....none other than what any job's pros would be.

ConsWorst job i have ever had!

If you cant tell that the overly optomistic reviews are fake, youll probably end up working here until they fire you for lack of production. I left on my own after nearly 3 years at the company. I know i am an idiot. Learn from me and listen to my words! Stay Away!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously in all honesty you need to make big changes quick or your going to lose your whole workforce and your company. If the Englands are smart they will clean house. Which they probably will.

Mayday, mayday, mayday!

I have been working at England Logistics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThose on the floor are a hard working group of people who are very talented at what they do. There is great potential to grow as a company, if they would invest in their employees, and listened to them. Great place to gain experience in the transportation industry.

ConsWhen the former President left to become the CEO of CR England, so did the hope of keeping this brokerage at the top of it's class.

Management has no idea what is actually taking place on the sales floor. They tout growth, and claim to hit record numbers, but I think that most stats are padded.

They do not invest in their employees.

It basically lives up to the nickname "Cut Throat Island".

The ramp attainment is unreasonable, and punishes those who have worked there for more than a year.

Those who have tenure will make less and less the longer that they work for England.

England is perceived as a brief layover to gain experience towards an actual career.

It has become nothing more than a glorified call center.

You are forced to make a certain number of phone dials everyday, and they look at quantity rather than quality.

Sink or swim mentality.

HUGE turnover rate.

Expensive benefits.

High stress, and not a place that you would want to stay for long.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. No casino night, nor pizza party, nor number of dress down days can save the deflated moral in that building.

People are there to make money to provide for their families, not to make YOU as much money as possible. When the company hits a milestone, give them a kick back. Cash is king, you all get kickers, why don't those who are in the trenches? Happy, motivated workers are productive.

Fix your awful ramp. Look at each person's ramp individually, set goals and help them achieve them.

Provide adequate resources to support your brokers.

Provide some support staff for after hours and weekends. For a "top 3 broker", that England is claiming to be, there is nothing in place help carriers after hours. One person at a desk for a few nights a week is highly inadequate.

Promote from within. It is disheartening to see multiple people passed over for promotions, only to have you hire someone from an outside source.

Stop surrounding yourselves with mindless, spineless "Yes men". Take time to visit with those who are the life blood and driving force of your company and take some suggestions from those who are battling for the common good everyday.

PPOL is awful, and the marketing department does little to promote our company, and develop quality sales leads.

The investment in the 4DX program is a giant misuse of funds, and a waste of time and resources. You paid thousands of dollars to have a third party tell you that you need to set goals, communicate with your employees, and that everyone should be accountable..?

Stop writing fake reviews on Glassdoor. Lipstick on a pig is still lipstick on a pig!

Company with great promises......

Capacity Manager (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at England Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsI couldn't decide between two or three stars.... Read my review and maybe you'll be able to figure that part out :)

The people work four people to one cubicle as a team for account managers. It's not necessarily a bad thing because as a team, you need to be able to talk to each other quickly and at times without even speaking while on the phone. This is NOT an easy job. It's cold calling truckers to see if they will be willing to take loads from point a to point b for as little money as humanly possible.

Sometimes, what the customer pays is actually really good and the trucker gets a good deal for it, but generally you're negotiating to the point that the trucker to either hang up or realize they don't have any other offers and to just take it.

That being said, I enjoyed the people employed there while I worked there. You're kind of forced to because of how close you sit to everyone, but it was much less terrible because it was a fun work environment.

If you can successfully prove your worth as a capacity manager, it isn't very difficult to move up through the ranks. I worked for an account manager that was making not only his hefty base pay, but also 5-6k per month on top of that because of the commissions. I mean, that's some MAJOR commission checks! He did have the highest paying customers and was kind of an outlier in the large quantity of money he made, but I'm just saying it IS possible.

ConsHIGH STRESS!!! I would go home with headaches that wouldn't go away until late at night, sleep, and start over again. My weekends generally involved a after hours cell phone that truckers would call and yell at me at any point of the weekend. Seriously... I got a phone call at 2 am from a guy who just needed someone to yell at.

Negotiating is fun, and I got really good at it, but if you don't get the guy down low enough, or the load won't cover no matter how many phone calls you make, managers will let you know how unhappy they are.

As a capacity manager, the base pay is 32k plus monthly commission. The commission is there just as long as you land yourself on the right team. This is all PURE LUCK. I was on a team that was taking losses left and right (thankfully, that doesn't come out of your paycheck because it's not technically your fault) because their customer wasn't paying enough to make a profit moving the loads. On the other hand, I was on a different team that I was making $1-2,000 profit. But that's not because I negotiated better, it's just because the customer paid that account manager more money to move those particular loads.

If you can handle the high stress, high pressure, sales/negotiation driven work day in and day out (working over 40 hours as needed, weekends, and an after hours cell phone) for the base pay and no overtime, then awesome. Don't let me stop you....... but don't say I didn't warn you, either.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't crush your capacity managers and drive them into the ground. If they have to take a loss on YOUR load because it was impossible to put someone on it in time, it is not completely their fault.

A great company with endless potential

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at England Logistics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have worked for England for 5 years and have received multiple promotions. I was able to move up because I came in, did my job, and maintained a good attitude. The company is booming and anyone who does the same will have opportunities. I love the people that I work with. England has done an amazing job of hiring hard working, honest people that become like family. My manager, as well as all of the executive committee, all provide an open door policy. I always feel like my opinion is heard and that they really do care about my success. Not just for the company, but for me. Jason Beardall is the President and he has been with the company since it only had a handful of people. Anyone that speaks poorly about him does not know him. He is passionate about seeing EL succeed and would do anything for anyone that needed help reaching their goals.

ConsIt is hard work! If you want an easy job where you surf the web all day, this is not the place for you. It requires a lot of focus and effort but if you are willing to do that, the sky is the limit.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the floor. Happy workers make good workers.

Sinking Ship!!!!

I have been working at England Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsStarted off as a fun atmosphere but quickly diminished. Everyone that started with me had high hopes. We were told as account managers we would make around 65k our first year… Not even close. You get a 40k base but commissions are nonexistent. They try to make things "fun" with games and activities but the best thing there seems to be the Ping Pong table… if your into that…. Company could be great, as it brings in a lot of money each year and seems to be growing but the Cons far outweigh the pros.

ConsThere always seems to be some way the commissions are messed up. Most end up having to continually track your sales and what you should get paid on and then hassle management to get the report fixed so you get paid. They promise promotions within but that is a lie. They keep hiring outside of the company for management and bring in these people that have no idea what is going on and expect them to lead. It also says a lot about a company when you are considered a veteran after being there one year. The longest tenured account manager has been with the company roughly 3 years and has no chance of advancement. If you make it to Senior Account Manager, forget getting promoted. You make the company too much money to move up and if you don't make SAM quickly then you are fired. All in all this company could be fun and enjoyable, the work isn't bad and if a few things were changed it could be a good career. Management won't act though. They feel nothing is "broken" so we shouldn't try to fix it. We still bring in millions a year and the VPS get a handsome bonus while employees get a gift card to Wal-Mart for $25. As people come to the company they are optimistic but work here for a month or so and you will soon realize you need to find something else. Everyone on my floor is looking for their next job/career. Once they find it they are out and everyone is jealous. With this low morale among employees the ship of England Logistics will sink. All it would take to bring this company down is for employees to walk out and protest. No account managers…. no company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just open up jobs for employees to apply for and present business plans and then steal their ideas and hire outside people and hope they can lead. There are positives about the company, build on those…. Share the revenue with your employees. Consider giving a decent bonus at the end of the year. Lastly, get better operating systems.

Worked for England Logistics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at England Logistics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for England Logistics CEO Jason Beardall. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by England Logistics employees.