English Heritage

English Heritage CEO Simon Thurley
Simon Thurley

Secretary

I worked at English Heritage

Pros

A great company to work for. They believe in what they do and it shows in the way they treat their employees.

Cons

The structure of the company was not always cohesive.

Review

I have been working at English Heritage

Pros

This is really a fantastic place to work...I cannot imagine better... I have really enjoyed the people and the atmosphere.

Cons

There really are no down sides for me at this company......I have enjoyed every minute of my employment here.

Lovely like minded people

Current Employee - Historic Property Steward in Shrewsbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Historic Property Steward in Shrewsbury, England (UK)

I have been working at English Heritage

Pros

Part time flexibility to fit around family. Good organisation to work for, good benefits, pensions etc

Cons

Lots of responsibility on small site within days of starting. Long hours snatching a break when you can.

Should be at least two people working at any one time on all sites

2014 saw a decline in the care of employees with introduction of illegal working hours policy for lone workers

Former Employee - Visitor Operations Team Member
    Former Employee - Visitor Operations Team Member

I worked at English Heritage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

above average hourly rate of pay. Good contributory pension, flexible working hours, good performance development review process, staff card allows access for your family to get in free, and the 25% discount in the shop is generous.

Cons

Hideous, uncomfortable, assexual, teflon coated uniform that encourages sweat and immobility.

Staff lone working at small sites were told that due to the increased opening hours this year, they would be working 9.15 (min) hour working day - WITH NO BREAKS.

EH say they have considered the H&S risks 'minimal'. But don't care that its slave labour or that its illegal. Not to mention that if you have a constant stream of customers you cannot go to the toilet when you want to.

So .... if you ever visit a site with one staff member of staff, and they may seem disoriented or flagging in energy be advised that this is because they have been there from 9.30am and will be there to at least 6.30pm, in a demanding customer facing role, WITH NO BREAK, so cut them some slack before you complain.

EH intranet claim to have a policy of 'supporting CPD' - in reality they don't. They are happy for staff to do internal courses, but they have no funding/ interest to help staff develop CPD skills outside the IT or HR fields.

stop USING your employees and make all single staffed sites at least 2 staff sites so the staff can have access to basic human rights like a break, and access to a toilet when they want to go.

Previous employer.

Current Employee - Field Monument Warden in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at English Heritage part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

English Heritage does a marvellous job of protecting our culture and providing accurate, researched material and information about these sites, monuments and related heritage.

Cons

None really. I would recommend anyone to try English Heritage as an employer.

Continue to involve staff in current work as you do because local advice is of importance.

A place full of self deluded narcissists

Current Employee - Visitor Operations Team Member in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Visitor Operations Team Member in London, England (UK)

I have been working at English Heritage part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You dont need to be clever

Cons

you work with idiots and social misfits

Wake up to reality

Great training and mutual respect working for a great cause.

Former Employee - Archive Support Officer in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at English Heritage part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting environment. Learning new skills. Great support from line manager. Criticism put in a constructive way. Great appraisal scheme. Team working and team building. Interesting trips to other English Heritage sites. Money off visits to English Heritage properties. Some opportunities to be flexible in working hours. Varied work so do not get bored. Great lectures and company information to add to role. Good support from Human Resources with any problems. Opportunities to take part in training to further you in role.

Cons

Working for a charity so not one of the highest paid jobs working for love of job and belief in cause. Short term or temporary contracts may not be possible to find another appropriate job in the company after leaving. Need to have a sense of humour. Need to be prepared to do physical work as well as a desk job. Some jobs may be quite specialised so may not suit everyone. Because it involves working for a charity have to be prepared to be resourceful in not wasting money or materials. Need to be careful handling precious materials.

Be prepared to invest in training for staff. Have to balance being careful with funding with investing in staff for the future.

A wonderfully rewarding organisation to work for.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at English Heritage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bright and enthusiastic colleagues who respect your knowledge and ideas. In fact the most respectful organisation I have worked for in a long career - and I've only been at EH for three years.
    I get to travel around the country and visit amazing historic sites, so I'm learning all the time.

Cons

A large organisation with a big base in Swindon, plus a London office, and regional offices. So not always easy to know what's going on everywhere. Different activities in organisation in many 'silos', such as Events, Interpretation, Retail, Catering, Designation etc. so synergies not always easy - but good teamwork tends to overcome this. English Heritage is soon to split into two - one part managing the historic properties open to the public; the other part will become "Historic England"

I would prefer a more horizontal management structure.

Friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - Catering Assistant
    Current Employee - Catering Assistant

I have been working at English Heritage part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most colleagues had a good attitude and were equally friendly with other members of staff as with the public. Fantastic places to work eg castles and high standards.

Cons

Quite high turnover of start partly due to many seasonal jobs.

Respect people below you, they have tough jobs too even if not under as much direct pressure to keep to budgets etc.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Historic Property Steward in Saltburn-by-the-Sea, England (UK)

I have been working at English Heritage part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent team of people, all who want to work in some of the country's most important and iconic places.
    Good work-life balance in my role as being only a steward I don't take any work home with me.
    Perks, a very good staff discount. Vouchers from love to shop when the site reaches sales targets and retail targets. Free entry to English Heritage properties. Festival of History is excellent.

Cons

seasonal work
    potentially a lack of career opportunities moving up the ladder

communicate more with staff, especially the 'lower' pay grade staff as they could be the managers of tomorrow, as most people will want to work in this area as a conscious choice.

English Heritage Photos

English Heritage - East of England offices (Photo thanks to Geograph user SJB, Some Rights Reserved)
English Heritage - National Monuments record centre (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger Cornfoot, Some Rights Reserved)
29 Queen Square, Bristol (Photo thanks to Geograph user Stephen Richards, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo