Ennis Knupp & Associates

Ennis Knupp & Associates Reviews

2.2

Ennis Knupp & Associates President Stephen Cummings
Stephen Cummings

Great benefits and people, management needs to pay more attention to its people.

Former Employee - Senior Performance Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Performance Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

- Amazing Benefits (Annual Personal Health Savings Account)
    - Excellent Co-workers
    - Small Size, Get to Know Everyone
    - Very High Job Security

Cons

- Small Company with Big Company Bureaucracy
    - Low Salary
    - Management seemed too worried about getting rid of under-performing employees

Do not brag to staff about how profitable and successful the company has been in the past year while trying to cut costs and give meager raises/bonuses

Not what I bargained for...

Current Employee - Performance Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Performance Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ennis Knupp & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro is that there are still some legacy Ennisknupp partners who are engaged in keeping up workplace morale and do whatever is possible to promote career advancement.

Cons

Well respected in the industry; however, horrendously managed workforce confined to structural inefficiencies makes for a poor culture, poor employee satisfaction and poor compensation scale.

Be less structured in how accounts are staffed, be more invested in developing organic talent and loosen the purse strings when it comes to compensation. HEK has been losing strong employees for a few years now due to their criminally low comp scales.

Drink the Kool-Aid please

Former Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Investment Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ennis Knupp & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to get some experience and bolt, back in the day, $2k funded FSA - mid and junior coworkers are cool

Cons

Senior management will make you drink the EKA Kool-aid, now since the merger a few people were forced out and let go. These folks (management) will stab you in the back, luckily I left before all that went down. Expect to be overworked and underpaid.

If you stay there for over 2 years, you are there too long. There's a cult like culture where there are some loyalists - (even though they are still underpaid like everyone but are downing the kool aid like its going out of style) becareful of them. PA start around lower 40s -, IAs around lower 50

None needed, they really could care less.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EKR

Current Employee - Senior Investment Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Investment Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

Experience: Get it and bolt.

Cons

biased, non-competent management, underpaid and overworked without recognition, antiquated systems.

None. They don't care and will not listen. It doesn't hurt to try... How about take personnel management classes.

Nice People, Nice Place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

Overall good place to work, good benefits and great people. Like the Monday Morning Stand up Meetings and think everyone is very easy to deal with.

Cons

There is a bit of the "we're smarter" or "we're better" than everyone else in the industry feel that comes from the employees.

Better communication and better outreach to junior employees. Should recognize the high potentials and treat them differently.

Think Again

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

Ennis Knupp offers exceptional benefits and I have been pretty happy with my work life balance. It's a good place to spend a couple of years.

Cons

There is no rationale for how promotions and salary increases are given. From my experience, neither is merit based...rather it's based on what principals like you. It seems as though the "good old boys" system is very much in place. It's difficult to get any justification about anything from senior management and employees are expected to just roll with the punches. It seems as though management is VERY concerned about the bottom line and not about the people they manage.

Leadership needs to make employees more aware of how they can advance. Also, if they are managing a group of people, they need to be vested in the development of those people.

Very INHUMANE

Current Employee - Performance Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Performance Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

Good place to get your feet wet, decent benefits package, and easy to get promoted

Cons

Terrible pay with VERY long hours. Each performance analyst is set up to work 60+ hours during performance season, upper management does not care about junior staff or the hours worked. This issue has been brought up to upper management many times, but nothing is ever done. Large pay discrepancy between employees hired externally.

Time to start taking care of your junior staff with larger pay increases. If not, I could see a lot of younger and talented staff leaving if job market turns around.

Good Start

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

EK offers a lot of opportunity to see different asset classes and aspects of pension, 401(k), and non-profit institutional investment. There are also a number of opportunities to meet with well-known investment managers who are known leaders in their fields. The firm is intellectually honest and only gives advice that is supported by investment theory. The benefits are good and investment-oriented positions are partner-track.

Cons

The pay is lower than a lot of other opportunities in the financial services industry that require similar amounts of work. At the lower levels, the hours can be long, which can be difficult in light of the relatively low pay. Also, longer-tenured employees may find it difficult to obtain meaningful salary increases.

I recommend viewing salary decisions on an absolute basis, rather than as a percentage of prior period pay. The current model suggests that outside hires are more valuable than the people who are training them. Next, while the benefits are favorable, they are not valued by younger employees as much as higher salaries would be. Consider reducing benefits to increase salaries.

Good place for a few years. Seen as a school in its industry.

Former Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Investment Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

Reputable place to launch a career. Educational benefits are very strong.

Cons

Senior management does not care much about the development of stars among junior staff. Too structured in many aspects.

Break or bend rules when it comes to treating staff, specifically the bright ones. Otherwise it ends up being a place full of dull analysts and profit-oriented principals, with no growth of future principals from within the firm.

Used and abused

Former Employee - Performance Analyst
    Former Employee - Performance Analyst

I worked at Ennis Knupp & Associates

Pros

Learn a lot right of the bat, as they throw everything at you to do... even the kitchen sink

Cons

As a PA, long hours, low pay, and treated as disposable..

I am sure you can pay $5-8k more a year for the hours put in

Worked for Ennis Knupp & Associates? Contribute to the Community!