Enova Reviews

113 reviews filtered by
3.3
Enova CEO David Fisher
David Fisher

Pros
  • Employees are encouraged to have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• I'm a smart guy & I like working with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • BED BUGS and there is no money worth an infestation of Bed Bugs in your home among your family (in 7 reviews)

• Slightly below average to average (a slight trade-off with the great work/life balance) (in 4 reviews)

1. Things are not what they seem here!

Current Employee - Collections Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Collections Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enova

Pros

None. This is an awful company to work for.

Cons

Everything! They don't help you succeed at your job and they have hard to reach collection goals.

Advice to Management

Fire the US Collections DM and Senior SM!

Decent place to start your career out of college

I worked at Enova full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- You get to work with some really smart people in a fast paced environment. Coming out of college it is a great experience and you learn a lot.
    - Start-up like culture and flexible work hours

Cons

- experience can vary depending on the P&L
    - average benefits like medical dental etc.
    - management can be immature sometimes

Great company to work for but they sell you a dream.

Current Employee - Applications Support Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Support Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enova

Pros

Meet a lot of nice people, excellent new attemdance policy, always train you on new things, there is opportunity for growth and you're recognized for your hardwork through spotlight points.

Cons

Bed Bugs are so bad here, every 2 weeks they have a bedbug inspection. Internal hiring is a long and stressed out process. You go through 5 interviews just to be told no or they hire someone externally. Schedule really sucks after working 2 years you should not be stuck with the same schedule. Feels like a highschool, you can't have your cellphone visible but management can use theirs on the floor and they sell you a dream until you have been there 6 months and realize this is not the place for you. I got a $0.25 raise after a year of working there. I have a family to feed and student loans and I am barely making it with the pay and the bonus or commision structure is a challenge.

Advice to Management

They need to care about their employees because they are losing so many good workers. I feel like it is just an unhealthy environment. Everyone is scared or making jokes about who is going to be fired next etc.

customer support

Current Contractor - Customer Service in Gurnee, IL
    Current Contractor - Customer Service in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Enova as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

good pay if you are in a leadership role

Cons

communication could be better

Great place to start a career

I have been working at Enova

Pros

-Uses cutting edge technology. Great place to start/further your career in tech/ analytics.
    -Senior management is very smart/ capable.
    -Great work/ life balance.

Cons

-Compensation could be better
    -Training for corporate employees can be better

Stay away

Current Employee - Live Chat in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Live Chat in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enova full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hummm great people to work with

Cons

They cater food to corporate while giving operations associates .10 raises

Advice to Management

Treat your operations associates like corporate why give corporate all the perks like they the only ones doing work.

Great company with a great atmosphere

I have been working at Enova

Pros

Very young forward thinking company and very much into technology. Also the perks and casual dress code is the best.

Cons

Sometimes even with all of the flexibility, certain departments seem to be cliquish and not as involved as it should to help in getting projects done effectively.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the cliques and bridge the gaps between the departments.

Fantastic place to work with great opportunities, a true meritocracy. Don't believe the negative reviews on here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enova full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Enova is a great place to work with awesome opportunities and and an emphasis on growing and developing employees. It's a young and hungry culture, filled with ambitious & intelligent go-getters. Most of the people I work with are dedicated and really want to see themselves and the company succeed. Enova also allows people to work in small, focused teams which helps dispel the feeling of a big, bureaucratic company. Regarding the culture, everyone I've come across here is extremely friendly and willing to help out.

The meritocracy is evident through Enova's values, which most agree are actually manifested every day. You're encouraged to speak up about your thoughts and opinions, and your ideas are heard by management. There's several programs in place to assist employee development, like the "enovation tank," and other cool learning opportunities. Flexible hours are encouraged; some people regularly get into to work around 10/10:30, which is a very nice perk.

Moving around is also available, if you're unhappy in your current role or want a new experience. Several individuals started out doing something different than their current role. Unlike some other companies I've worked for in the past, management leads by example. They push you very hard, but they want to you learn and grow, so it's worth it. They place a ton value on emotional intelligence/communication skills, so it's not just hard numbers when it comes to your performance. Management is very transparent, and is always there if you have a question or need help.

Compensation is also very competitive, and you're definitely rewarded for hard work. In my experience, it's not as difficult to make your voice heard here, as it is for other companies. Free lunches, happy hours, a stocked kitchen/fridge, and other perks are all great additions to the benefit repertoire.

Finally, I'd like to address the negative call center reviews on here (which I feel are completely unwarranted). I'd like to point out that the work environment, total compensation, and experience is much, much better that most call centers you'd find elsewhere.

Cons

While the benefits are great, they tend to be exaggerated. Free breakfast on Monday (enormous line out the door, not enough for everyone), massages (only if you sign up in the first minute, otherwise they're full), and the PTO is pretty weak, among other things.

I also felt a lack of understating of certain processes/tools inhibited my ability to perform well. An example would be SQL databases, which are used a lot, and are critical to your work. A lot of what you're going to be doing is self-taught, which takes time away from you other work.

Depending on what team you're on, it can be difficult to move up.

Under staffing on critical teams can cause projects to get delayed. Seems like management is fixing this problem, but for a huge company it always feels so resource constrained.

I think one of the biggest problems that people have at Enova is that you can have an entirely different experience here that someone who sits across from you who's on a different brand/P&L. While there are similarities between teams and people generally feel a certain level of cohesiveness at the company, there's enough variance where one P&L/team can feel like an entirely different company than another.

Advice to Management

Continue to ameliorate the meritocratic environment, and lead by example. Don't forget that a small change can have a big impact, and that the little things matter too.

Incredible environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enova full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Very smart people
    - Room for growth
    - A lot to learn
    - Lots of diversity with people from eclectic backgrounds
    - The company stays true to its corporate values. "Best answer wins" is something I've witnessed in action multiple times

Cons

- Could have more organized training
    - The environment is not for everyone. Some things require lots of self training and learning-by-doing. I see this as a pro but some might view it as a con

Advice to Management

Help develop the knowledge base to make it stronger so that employees can train quicker and more effectively. Having organized training resources saves time and makes it easier for employees to grow.

11. Great Place to Start or Advance Your Software Engineering Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Enova full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Thorough onboarding tech training (Ruby, Rails, RSpec/Cucumber, SQL, Linux, front end)
    Full-stack teams minimize--mostly--management overhead
    Innovation is encouraged and recognized
    Nobody in Software Engineering is bored--lots of work
    Great work-life balance 90% of the time--launches and outages excepted
    Flat management, very little bureaucracy
    Company takes recruiting and hiring very seriously
    Great perks, including full stocked kitchen and sabbaticals
    Working with amazingly smart people

Cons

Career path not well defined beyond Manager/Squad Leader
    Full compensation seems to be competitive, but base salaries are pretty average
    Weight gain from aforementioned fully stocked kitchen

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate as department grows and evolves--the farm league is a great example of this