Ensequence

Peter Low

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

New direction, new leaders

I have been working at Ensequence full-time for less than a year

ProsEnsequence is a company that is re-focused and moving full speed ahead in a new direction with purpose.
Great leaders, benefits and location.

ConsNo 401k match, tall cubical walls create seclusion.

I learned the importance of inquiring about the position's history during the interview process and not learning after..

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Ensequence full-time for less than a year

ProsSome very bright, hardworking talent on staff. Most of the people generally get along and work well together. Good feeling of community among the majority of the staff. (Now...if only they could abandon those high-walled cubicles

ConsSenior management often unsure of the company's overall path forward...a lot of trying something out, then gauging the success (or lack of) and then adjusting their approach accordingly. That's fine, but the roller coaster ride (as I've heard others describe it) is tiring and the poorly executed rounds of layoffs caused a good portion of the top talent to leave for more stable companies. On that note, Ensequence has the feel of start-up, in that opportunities to learn and move up are available, but the overall stability of the company is questionable. And, while the company has been in existence since 2000 and has raised tens of millions in investor capital during that time, it has yet to find a successful (read:profitable) business model, spending more money to develop its products than is made from the sale of said products.

As for what I alluded to in my title, if your the 4th person hired to a specific role in ~3 years (as was my case), you need to learn about this before you accept the offer and consider whether you want to deal with it, or rather, consider the other job offers you have. Lesson learned.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething they (I'm sure) already know: when various members of senior management are leaving for other companies, combined with the rounds of layoffs, this creates a genuine concern (panic for some) among the rank and file. For the sake of the company and it's current staff, please exercise some discretion...

Dynamic company that isn't afraid of change

I have been working at Ensequence full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great location, openness to change things if they aren't working. Ensequence is changing and adapting with the times, embracing new technologies and methodologies.

ConsToo many different opportunities to pursue all of them. Need to focus on one or two.

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine the primary business and are you want to focus on and rally the company around a single vision and direction. Don't be afraid of letting go of the past.

A great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ensequence

ProsA good place to make a career while learning cutting edge technologies. Family oriented and fun atmosphere. Great opportunities to grow and excel at your job. Great people.

ConsEnsequence is growing and defining its processes and teams. While the new positions are filled, many of us are spread too thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct development would benefit from a more traditional structure where marketing and engineering are lead by different staff.

Great people to work with, Can do attitudes!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ensequence

ProsGood People, very few personality issues
Understanding managers who strive to create a good work environment
Excellent location in the Unico Tower

ConsAs the company has aged it has become a bit corporate feeling
loss of the 401k Matching
not always the best at recognizing important contributions

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has done pretty well with this company given the shifting landscape that is the interactive Television business. I would give them a B+ overall.

Great people, great location, cool industry (TV)

I have been working at Ensequence

ProsTelevision industry software products - friends and relatives can relate to the end product.
Stock Options, Downtown location - easy access to public transit, casual dress code, flexible work hours, free bagels and donuts on Fridays, free soda every day.

ConsNo 401k match. Limited use of Open Source technology. Cube walls reduce open feeling in the middle of the office, but at least most of the shared offices (where many of the employees work) don't have them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd 401k matching and remove waiting period. Provide paid time off for community service/volunteering. Lower more of the cube walls for a more of an open space feeling and collaboration.

Challenging, demanding, but rewarding.

I have been working at Ensequence

ProsCompensation and benefits are generally better than the norm.

ConsThe company is still in the start-up phase, so longevity remains a concern.

Worked for Ensequence? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ensequence reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ensequence CEO Peter Low. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Ensequence employees.