Ensighten

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
3.5

Josh Manion

Highly bright and motivated team

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ensighten highly encourages initiative-taking: employees have the freedom to take on new opportunities, as long as they can demonstrate traction and common sense. There are some employees who while have good ideas/intention, lack solid project management skills or the ability to get stuff done, and those may feel discouraged as management does not support their progress.

The CEO is exceptionally bright, and as such has little patience for office politics or gamesmanship. This has fostered the right culture and helped assemble a group of highly bright and motivated team members. We aspire to achieve great results and get stuff done.

Cons

Having worked at over five other companies prior to arriving at Ensighten, I cannot think of serious enough cons to list them out. Sorry.

Accelerate hiring and continue to focus on key geographical areas. This will enable us to leverage employee referrals more effectively.

Working at Ensighten is very exciting. The people, atmosphere, and future outlook are all excellent.

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership at Ensighten has been fantastic in my experience. As a small company it has great outlook towards future growth and opportunities for everyone working there. The employees I work with day-to-day are a smart and forward-thinking group of people and it makes me more confident in my choice to work here.

Cons

As Ensighten aggressively acquires more business and market share in the Tagging space, the work load can be daunting. Good time management skills are an absolute requirement. Most people are very busy and so there are occasions where communication can be difficult, but these are rare in my experience.

Keep moving forward! The future is looking bright for the company and it can get even better.

Impressive Technology, Great People

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a number of good reasons to work at Ensighten. The technology is truly impressive, and the company provides an opportunity to push yourself and develop your career - regardless of your position. The executive team has a clear vision for what we are trying to do - and for those who are willing to do so, no barriers to access or being able to work with other teams and departments. The company is also filled with friendly and very talented people.

Cons

The company is moving fast, it can be a challenge to keep up with the pace.

Keep us moving forward...

HORRIFIC!!! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

Current Employee - I Touch Many Departments
    Current Employee - I Touch Many Departments

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok I'll be fair, the benefits were decent

Cons

Totally confused and mismanaged management. Sales team is a joke as is Channel. No one knows what the hell is going on. I can't wait to leave. Oh, get some decent SEs...what a pathetic team.

Honestly, if I said what I really wanted to I might get banned from this site. Plus management scours this site trying to figure out who posts reviews and encourages certain employees to write "positive reviews" that are comple

Fast paced environment with the opportunity to work with brilliant people

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at Ensighten is one of the best in their positions in the Digital Marketing space -- there are at least 40-50 premier former Omniture employees and another 50-60 from leaders like Acxiom, Unica, IBM, Webtrends, Salesforce and more

Cons

The President and Executive team should reach out to the new employees acquired via acquistion --- especially in the remote offices globally

The company has been extremely successful in the past 4 years and this success needs to be shared with all employees.

Ensighten is what you make of your workplace.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's up to you. You can challenge yourself, or bore yourself, be laid back or be at the line of attack. There are superstars within the company, and there are those that are here for a day job. But, here is what I think:

You'll love showing up to work. You'll have the best possible setup ( the best Macbook Retina Pro, with two 27" beasts on your desk ). You'll have a lot of product ownership, and fun. You'll be encouraged to have work, life balance. You'll not be micro managed. You'll have a say in the direction of the product. You'll get to couch with the CEO and watch Apple's keynote. And, wait for it: you'll get to work from home when you want.

Cons

With only a few products, there isn't a lot of varied opportunities within the company. Being a startup, and following the 'make it work, make it better' principle, there is a lot that can be done with code quality. Being a company building an enterprise product, how neat/beautiful the product looks is not a primary concern.

Think more about employee benefits, and team outings. Think more about product quality. Think more about company culture and suitable workspace decoration.

President is not in touch with employees or reality

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer success team is relatively small and team is collaborative.

Cons

Great ideas are not encouraged and senior management is out of touch with reality. Senior management does not want to acknowledge they are over their heads in effective management. I have been trying to advance in the company by applying for a team lead role. I applied a month ago and interviews have been scheduled promptly by our staffing coordinator who is great to work with but then interviews with President were quickly cancelled. I don't believe the President of the company has any interest in employees who are not part of the sales group. President of company does not even know my name. Vey sad and discouraging.

Ensighten has lost some of its most creative talent by not promoting within. President of company needs to appreciate the people who develop, code, test and generate our products as well as the folks who sell our products. President of company definitely has his favorites.

Lots of deadlines, lots of meetings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Ensighten full-time

Pros

Leadership was very smart but still getting used to being management. The sales team and size of the contracts were always something to be impressed by.

Cons

We worked a lot of long hours. There was often poor communication and too many meetings. The company's velocity suffered as a result. There is also significant employee churn.

Great product but poor execution

I worked at Ensighten full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great friendly colleagues
    - Start up perks
    - product has a great outlook

Cons

Upper management has no direction and are always chasing their tail. High turnover rate with employees.

Get your heads on straight and recognize when there are valuable employees that will help take the product to the next level.

The Most Gratifying and Frustrating Company to Work For

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Ensighten full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ensighten has some of the best and brightest people I've ever worked with. We get to work with fantastic new technologies and everything moves so fast. The company has been in hyper growth mode since I started and shows no signs of slowing down. We have already crushed our competition in one market sector and moved on to others. The array of new products coming out is dizzying, and includes some real game-changers. A lot of money will be made. I only wish I had more stock options. I love the company, I love the people, and I love the technical challenges. The decision to work for Ensighten was a fantastic career move that I (mostly) have not regretted.

I gave a 5 star rating, but if I were able to, I would actually go with 4.5/5. I'm feeling generous today, rounding instead of truncating.

Cons

My work/life balance has taken a big hit since working for Ensighten. No one forces me to put in the long hours, though. I feel compelled to keep working to solve the next problem and to maintain pace with many of my brilliant colleagues who are doing the same. It turns into a negative feedback loop, after a while. Management could do more to break that cycle.

There are also complaints about transparency regarding direction and grand strategy. I came from a much larger enterprise before, so I am used to compartmentalization of information. Others are more bothered by it. They become frustrated when the CEO and VPs don't key them in on every decision. The fact is, Ensighten has become too large for that to really be viable still. Ensighten is, at this point in its lifecycle, a medium-sized enterprise, still clinging to the culture of a small start-up. We are victims of our own success, and must suffer through the growing pains.

Lastly, the acquisition of competitor Tagman earlier this year was mishandled, though not as badly as some people believe. There was some miscalculation among leadership on both sides about how integration would proceed and how well the two cultures would mesh. The redundancies that resulted in layoffs on the Tagman side were unfortunately unavoidable. It is the nature of M&A. Tagman would have gone under if left to compete on its own, and then everyone would have been out of a job. The deal was still a sound business decision just to acquire their customer and product portfolio.

Management should encourage better work/life balance, be more effective in communicating the reasons for business decisions, and attempt to breakdown compartmental silos within the organization.