Ensign Energy Services Reviews

Bob Geddes

1. Terrible management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Ensign Energy Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay for employee parking which is expensive in denver, good work life balance, team building such as golfing and potlucks

Cons

poor management, poor communication between managers and to employees, frequent layoffs, no women managers, no opportunities for growth

2. Greedy Top Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Canada, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Canada, CA

I have been working at Ensign Energy Services

Pros

Great Team, promoted that people are the most important assets...

Cons

Slashed all employees other than the Top Management (Big $$ Boys) when oil went low...

Advice to Management

Cull the greed and non-effective Directors earning 3X the wage of ppl laid off, keep the assets company claims are most important....

3. Good money bad company to work for

Current Employee - Motor Hand in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Motor Hand in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Ensign Energy Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money and time off. And that's about it

Cons

Management the way they run their company benefits or horrible and way too expensive

5. All profits based on cutting employee compensation. Do not believe the glowing reviews on here written by paid HR.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Ensign Energy Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You feel some sense of security due to the large company structure. IE: not going to miss payroll due to bankruptcy. Don't laugh it happened to me when Vencor went bankrupt and became Kindred.

Cons

Where do I start? Recently acquired by Ensign, prior to this we had been rated a 5 star building by CMS with multiple platinum surveys in 10 years. You would think we had a good team and with a combined 150 years experience in management, but Ensign changed everything on day one.
    They spent thousands to replace equipment that was still new.
    Complained about being in the red due to expenditures and used that as an excuse to cut staffing. Some departments lost 50 percent of their staffing hours.
    Went from 12 hour shifts in nursing to 8 hour shifts, requiring the hiring of 30 percent more employees to cover the same 24 hr day.
    This means staff with children must find daycare for 2 additional days/ week.
    Benefits are horrible, we had just been given new insurance in January from prior "small" company, the Ensign benefits were less coverage for 2x the cost. Plus the one package they offered won't even cover the only hospital in our city.
    The attrition rate for employees has more than doubled over the prior company. New staffing always requires learning curves and places more burdens on existing employees.
    The worst is them breaking FLSA laws by placing everyone they can on salary. I'm talking about staff that have zero supervisory capacity. They make these people pick up every shift that is uncovered and put them on call 24/7.
    This is the only corporation in all my healthcare career that requires you to sign away your rights to any all all class action suits regarding harassment or discrimination. Instead of a trial by jury (where awards are higher) they require all claims and disputes be handled through arbitration. Using an arbitrator of their choosing and paid by them. HMMM, I wonder if that could result in a conflict of interest.
    They lost a medicare fraud case that resulted in staff being required to sit through hours and hours of compliance training. Well I guess we do get paid during the training.
    The budgets presented to department staffing are a joke and only set you up to fail. My budgets 20 years ago were 2x as high on a PPD basis. So any promised bonuses are a joke, and since all raises are performance based good luck with that.

Advice to Management

Put your Administrators through a real AIT program, not a fake one. You know the one that states an AIT must work in each department. Without the knowledge of what front line staff actually do, you cannot possibly make staffing and budgetary considerations. My observation is that AIT's only see papers and financials with little consideration given to actual operations of SNFs and other operations. Maybe this is the reason you're always looking for more AIT's, knowing they are cheap labor and you can always find new grads willing to get a job. Seriously, look at the want ads in healthcare. AIT jobs are practically non existent in every other company but yours. I witnessed the same over expansion of Vencor, they went bankrupt three years after acquiring Hillhaven. I give Ensign about the same time frame before they file for bankruptcy. So if you management types are holding their stock, I suggest you unload your options ASAP, don't get stuck losing your entire 401K like I and so many others did when Vencor announced on a friday night after the markets closed they filed for bankruptcy. The stock was worthless when the markets opened Monday morning. Finally, drink the Kool aid. It is basically all you will ever see from this company.

6. Good Place to work and Relly good people

Former Employee - Directional Driller in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Directional Driller in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Ensign Energy Services

Pros

good pay good people and lots of time off

Cons

work goes up and down with the price of oil

7. From the Office to the Field: A Learning Experience

Current Employee - Project Control in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Control in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ensign Energy Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Direct Management is easy to talk to and not afraid to tell you how to improve or offer new responsibilities Great place if you are ambitious and ready to work and learn you way to the next experience. Offers overtime and Competitive Pay.

Cons

They will give you work until you stop taking it. Old Boy Syndrome can be hard to work around. Some supervisors have worked they're way up and may need additional training in management and leadership and believing in their teams abilities.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards standardization and continuous improvement. Be realistic about your goals and talk to your employees regularly about what you expect from them and what they expect from you.

8. Great place to work the leader in the industry

Current Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ensign Energy Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great pay an adventure every day

Cons

Idon't have any to mention

Advice to Management

you guys are doing a wonderful job

9. None

I worked at Ensign Energy Services

Pros

They are very lenient company

Cons

They don't value their employees

10. Every dilling company is the same to work for, it really depends on the guys you work with and for, rig manager etc.

Current Employee - Roughneck
    Current Employee - Roughneck

I have been working at Ensign Energy Services

Pros

Money, easy to start and find work. Can find awesome peoe to work with, easy to advance fast. Long periods Of time off

Cons

Long days, work away from home,often not informed of when work will begin or end. Many people you work with are terrible people with anger problems. Rig mAnagers often have no commnication skills making your life much harder than it should be

11. Describe some of the downsides of working

I have been working at Ensign Energy Services

Pros

information about our review criteria

Cons

Describe some of the downsides of working

Advice to Management

vn

Ensign Energy Services Photos