Ensign Group

Ensign Group Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.8

Ensign Group President, CEO, and Director; President, The Flagstone Group Christopher R. Christensen
Christopher R. Christensen

Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the corporate Mission Viejo office and this company is fantastic. The culture is first class and the upper management is too. Free food is also a pretty frequent occurrence. Great work-life balance. Training is also pretty good.

Cons

It's hard to find cons, but generally this is not a company to join if you are looking for advancement in your career or if you are looking for higher than average compensation.

Keep doing what you're doing. If turnover appears to be a problem, consider offering a more competitive pay rate.

Money, Money, Money!!!

Former Employee - Activities Member in Claremont, CA
    Former Employee - Activities Member in Claremont, CA

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most coworkers made work easier.

Cons

The human resources department does not advocate for its employees. Management completely took advantage of their power and treated people very poorly. As long as figures were high, the human resources department looked the other way. Management practically had authority to fire employees based on whether they felt like or not, and not actual job related elements. When these practices were reported to human resources, they did nothing for the employee and instead gave the supervisors all benefit of the doubt. Absolutely horrific company to work for.

Value your employees.

micro-managing place to work-CNA

Current Employee - CNA in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - CNA in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

a place to work, if you cannot find anything eles

Cons

being a cna, you are micro-managed, even if you know everything...the big negative is health insurance,,,,very poor...huge deductible for someone who makes very little money.,,,big deductibles are good for the administrator, but not the cna...you work hard, make the company money, and they don,t respond with kindness.

treat the employees that make you the money with some benifits....but with stockholder companys....today, they want all the money,,,none for the employees

Great Mission, Company Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the residents, the company culture. There are fun contests and initiatives to improve our performance. We really do our best to make the resident's lives fulfilling.

Cons

When all employees buy in to the culture, it's wonderful. When others don't, it's hard to keep the moral high. It can get routine, so keep putting in the celebrations to make the days fun.

Hypocritical

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Ensign Group full-time

Pros

Core values-if followed. Pay is competitive.

Cons

No structure.They say that they are giving each facility "freedom" from the corporate model. The reality is they hire people that are ill equipped for the jobs given to them & then are offered zero oversight or guidance.

Practice what you preach. If the "employee" is really first, why are they being over worked, under staffed & mis treated by upper management? Calls to the compliance line get you no where.

All in all this is a great company

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time

Pros

Awesome business model; giving administrators true autonomy to make necessary decisions, and using more peer-to-peer accountability than top down accountability. Great bonus structure and run by good people.

Cons

Very intense focus on profit, and a bit cut throat

It is just another Corporation....all about the profit margin

Former Employee - Director in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Apparently the Cons out weighed the Pros or I would still be working there. The residents were a mixed bag of appropriate and inappropriate. It was an easy job to get.

Cons

In the facility where I was employed it appeared the Peter Principle was an operating system. All of the Kool-aid reading "employees first" was a jargon way of saying "use them up" the employees that is. The promise of a "loving" workplace was a little more like they expect your job to become your life. In the AL unit that I had experience with, the area of medical personnel were understaffed, under trained and micro-manged by anyone in so called Management. I felt bad for them but the culture was so profit driven impact was close to impossible.

Walk your talk. Hire experience and talent. Promoting from within is fine but promoting someone just because they are the last one standing is just foolish. These are real people's lives on all sides, respect that. It is not all about how slick the building is but how well trained and appropriate the staff is. Insecure micro managers in their first executive position do not play well with others.

unfair workplace

Former Employee - L[N in Homedale, ID
    Former Employee - L[N in Homedale, ID

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

close to home with an easy commute.they have good benefits for their employees. the CNAS are caring and dedicated to the residents. the food for the residents is homecooked and delicious

Cons

they pay is way under fair value. the availability of supplies needs help. they dont appreciated good help and bring your flaws up in front of the entire staff in meetings, they yell at staff in the hallways. there is too much nepotism. they make promises then dont keep them.

get rid of the nepotism and give your hard working employees a raise!!!

Unfair management

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Homedale, ID
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Homedale, ID

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The residents are amazing. The activities and nursing assistants do a great job.The dietary people serve a good meal to the residents

Cons

Thee upper management needs to treat people with respect and not discipline employees in front of their coworkers or in meetings. They don't appreciate their help.

Get rid of the nepotism and hire people that treat the workers with respect.

Not so great

Current Employee - Administrator-in-training
    Current Employee - Administrator-in-training

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

casual working environment; friendly co-workers

Cons

Management is focused on profit, although they would say patients come first and that is reflected in everything that we do.
    salary does not reflect experience, market, or skills.

Be true to your employees.
    Management always says they have high standards and performing people, if that is the case, then provide better benefits and compensation as we work hard for the company.