Ensign Group

Ensign Group Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ensign Group President, CEO, and Director; President, The Flagstone Group Christopher R. Christensen

Christopher R. Christensen

Great Mission, Company Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI love the residents, the company culture. There are fun contests and initiatives to improve our performance. We really do our best to make the resident's lives fulfilling.

ConsWhen all employees buy in to the culture, it's wonderful. When others don't, it's hard to keep the moral high. It can get routine, so keep putting in the celebrations to make the days fun.

All in all this is a great company

ProsAwesome business model; giving administrators true autonomy to make necessary decisions, and using more peer-to-peer accountability than top down accountability. Great bonus structure and run by good people.

ConsVery intense focus on profit, and a bit cut throat

It is just another Corporation....all about the profit margin

Director (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsApparently the Cons out weighed the Pros or I would still be working there. The residents were a mixed bag of appropriate and inappropriate. It was an easy job to get.

ConsIn the facility where I was employed it appeared the Peter Principle was an operating system. All of the Kool-aid reading "employees first" was a jargon way of saying "use them up" the employees that is. The promise of a "loving" workplace was a little more like they expect your job to become your life. In the AL unit that I had experience with, the area of medical personnel were understaffed, under trained and micro-manged by anyone in so called Management. I felt bad for them but the culture was so profit driven impact was close to impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk. Hire experience and talent. Promoting from within is fine but promoting someone just because they are the last one standing is just foolish. These are real people's lives on all sides, respect that. It is not all about how slick the building is but how well trained and appropriate the staff is. Insecure micro managers in their first executive position do not play well with others.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unfair workplace

L[N (Former Employee) Homedale, ID

Prosclose to home with an easy commute.they have good benefits for their employees. the CNAS are caring and dedicated to the residents. the food for the residents is homecooked and delicious

Consthey pay is way under fair value. the availability of supplies needs help. they dont appreciated good help and bring your flaws up in front of the entire staff in meetings, they yell at staff in the hallways. there is too much nepotism. they make promises then dont keep them.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the nepotism and give your hard working employees a raise!!!

Unfair management

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) Homedale, ID

ProsThe residents are amazing. The activities and nursing assistants do a great job.The dietary people serve a good meal to the residents

ConsThee upper management needs to treat people with respect and not discipline employees in front of their coworkers or in meetings. They don't appreciate their help.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the nepotism and hire people that treat the workers with respect.

Not so great

Administrator-in-training (Current Employee)

Proscasual working environment; friendly co-workers

ConsManagement is focused on profit, although they would say patients come first and that is reflected in everything that we do.
    salary does not reflect experience, market, or skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe true to your employees.
    Management always says they have high standards and performing people, if that is the case, then provide better benefits and compensation as we work hard for the company.

Skilled nursing scavenger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally provide a pretty good service

ConsThe entire business plan is to churn and burn administrators. They recruit young white maies (90%+) out of grad school, give them a six figure salary and promise them several hundred thousand more if they 'turn' their facility. The thing is, they have all sorts of snags and escape clauses to keep them from having to pay out the bonuses you earn. Once you sacrifice your personal life for about a year and IF you successfully turn your facility and make it profitable, they will ask you to transfer to another underperforming facility, so they can reset the pay scale and expectation for the facility you just came from. It is shameless and self serving and they do it over and over and over again. The turnover for their admins is less than 18 months. Less than 10% of their admins have been at the company more than 3 years and this is by design. They dont want to pay for performance. They'll move the sucker admins around from building to building, keeping the big financial carrot just out of reach until you burn out and leave. Then they just bring in a new crop of young mba grads to do the exact same thing. it is a well oiled machine and this is how they've grown so rapidly. They basically get the equivalent of 2 full time administrators for the price of one.

Ensign is great!

Marketing Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEnsign Group really does drive quality and they care about providing good care. They allow room for you to grow and learn without someone breathing over behind your neck. They really instill strong values that they live by and it shows in their facilities. I think people forget that healthcare is about compassion and quality care, but also it is a business. Money needs to be made in order to provide that quality care. They maintain a good balance.

ConsMaybe a little more structure in guidelines. Nothing major though.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever forget who is on the front lines. They work hard.

Administrator greed and profits are more important than patient care

Director of Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsThe patients and their families are amazing

ConsCulture is all about getting that medicare patient in the door...

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and get genuine honest employees

A Great Place to Call Home

Nurse (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI am a new employee with Ensign, and I couldn't be more enthused and impressed. They truly do demonstrate their core values in their day to day business dealings. Not just some meaningless slogans like some other healthcare companies. Employees are first, and are treated with respect and trust. The companies motto of "loving one another" rings true and is practiced by the management. I have worked in this field a long time and I cannot tell you how happy and pleasantly surprised to find a place that is so emotionally comfortable, and genuine. Ensign demonstrates that they truly care for their employees and residents. All of the staff at the facility I work in , work together as a team, and are willing to go that extra mile to help their fellow coworkers. We work hard and at the same time have a lot of fun doing it. It is a prime example of practicing the Golden Rule here at this company. I actually feel as though I have been adopted into a family. Wish I had found these folks a long time ago.

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being the way you are, don't try to mimic the other long term care companies.

Worked for Ensign Group? Contribute to the Community!