Ensign Group

Ensign Group Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.8

Ensign Group President, CEO, and Director; President, The Flagstone Group Christopher R. Christensen
Christopher R. Christensen

Skilled nursing scavenger

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally provide a pretty good service

Cons

The entire business plan is to churn and burn administrators. They recruit young white maies (90%+) out of grad school, give them a six figure salary and promise them several hundred thousand more if they 'turn' their facility. The thing is, they have all sorts of snags and escape clauses to keep them from having to pay out the bonuses you earn. Once you sacrifice your personal life for about a year and IF you successfully turn your facility and make it profitable, they will ask you to transfer to another underperforming facility, so they can reset the pay scale and expectation for the facility you just came from. It is shameless and self serving and they do it over and over and over again. The turnover for their admins is less than 18 months. Less than 10% of their admins have been at the company more than 3 years and this is by design. They dont want to pay for performance. They'll move the sucker admins around from building to building, keeping the big financial carrot just out of reach until you burn out and leave. Then they just bring in a new crop of young mba grads to do the exact same thing. it is a well oiled machine and this is how they've grown so rapidly. They basically get the equivalent of 2 full time administrators for the price of one.

Ensign is great!

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ensign Group really does drive quality and they care about providing good care. They allow room for you to grow and learn without someone breathing over behind your neck. They really instill strong values that they live by and it shows in their facilities. I think people forget that healthcare is about compassion and quality care, but also it is a business. Money needs to be made in order to provide that quality care. They maintain a good balance.

Cons

Maybe a little more structure in guidelines. Nothing major though.

Never forget who is on the front lines. They work hard.

Administrator greed and profits are more important than patient care

Former Employee - Director of Marketing
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing

I worked at Ensign Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The patients and their families are amazing

Cons

Culture is all about getting that medicare patient in the door...

Clean house and get genuine honest employees

A Great Place to Call Home

Current Employee - Nurse in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a new employee with Ensign, and I couldn't be more enthused and impressed. They truly do demonstrate their core values in their day to day business dealings. Not just some meaningless slogans like some other healthcare companies. Employees are first, and are treated with respect and trust. The companies motto of "loving one another" rings true and is practiced by the management. I have worked in this field a long time and I cannot tell you how happy and pleasantly surprised to find a place that is so emotionally comfortable, and genuine. Ensign demonstrates that they truly care for their employees and residents. All of the staff at the facility I work in , work together as a team, and are willing to go that extra mile to help their fellow coworkers. We work hard and at the same time have a lot of fun doing it. It is a prime example of practicing the Golden Rule here at this company. I actually feel as though I have been adopted into a family. Wish I had found these folks a long time ago.

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep being the way you are, don't try to mimic the other long term care companies.

I Highly Recommend Ensign!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ensign is a unique company that genuinely cares about its employees. I've never worked for a company that truly lives its core values and has a company culture that we can all be proud to be a part of. Ensign is not your typical "corporate" environment. Leaders have a lot of autonomy in decision making and employees are rewarded for good performance. We also have a lot of fun at work. I love the individuals that I work with and I look forward to coming to work each day and being able to make a difference.

Cons

The organization is fairly flat, so promotions can be more difficult to come by.

Continue to be transparent and reward employees who are committed to the company.

Corporate Take Over

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ensign is a fast growing company with good opportunities. They are competitive in their salary, and offer some great incentives to be part of the Ensign Group workforce.

Cons

Ensign Group is the typical corporate business. The amount of work in comparison to the rate of pay does not always weigh out. When numbers go down, work load goes up.

Understand that what looks good on paper does not always translate well in the operation aspect of the business.

Dietary Cook

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ensign Group provides great incentives for their employees. The lower management are able to take ideas and help approve the department to the best of their ability. The pay is compatible with other health care facilities.

Cons

The corporate motto of "profit" is king often makes the job difficult. The company is often more worried about making a profit, to the extent that health care delivery suffers.

The practice of cutting hours and budgets make it difficult for employees to fulfill their job to the best of their ability.

Best healthcare company out there

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and people passionate about caring for others. The core values of this organization really drive who they are. I really identify with the core value of "Love One Another". Given how much time we all spend at work, its great to love what you do and who you are doing it with.

Cons

There really aren't any that I can think of. This company does what it says and is focused on quality care and disciplined growth.

Keep doing what you are doing. Your record in quality and growth speaks for itself.

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cherishes free thought, innovation and leadership.
    Company is full of people who truly care about one another.
    Great values

Cons

It's growing, so there are some growing pains that we have to adjust to, but it's fun to face these challenges together.

Keep the small company feel. I'm confident the company is headed the right direction. Great leaders and great people!

HR

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Ensign Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and fantastic benefits.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company.