Enterprise Community Partners

Updated May 3, 2015
27 reviews filtered by
3.8
Terri Ludwig & Charles Werhane

1. Good culture, creative visionaries who are passionate about housing, plus good work-life balance

Former Employee - Program Officer
    Former Employee - Program Officer

I worked at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on so many interesting policy topics, and there are positions for folks with a range of interests and skills within the company. Good work-life balance, salary, benefits. Strong leadership.

Cons

Lots of interests can lead to shifting direction often - new ideas every week!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Stay focused, rather than bouncing around. When you've got a good thing going, stick with it and dive deep.

2. Great organization, but...

I worked at Enterprise Community Partners part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great organization and a great cause. Everyone is extremely passionate and truly believes in what they do. It is a great work environment with a very friendly staff. Every single person I’ve interacted with at the company was helpful and accommodating. The work itself was very fun.

Cons

I felt that compensation was not adequate nor fair. I was not allowed to take overtime hours even if I badly needed them, yet was still held at fault when I could not do the impossible. In addition, my pay was well below what every salary guide I’ve found said that I should make. I brought these things up with management, and was repeatedly turned down. It seemed as if these things were viewed as a fluid luxury depending on budgetary availability, rather than absolute necessities. It wasn’t right.

My position also had very few growth opportunities, and performance feedback could be a lot more open throughout the year.

Administrative

I worked at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture, wonderful benefits and pay. Some pretty great friendships made in my years of service.

Cons

If you are administrative staff don't expect to be promoted often. Not much room to grow in that category. Get ready to be marginalized and looked over. Doesn't matter how many years of service you have your job could be gone in a moment. There have been some wonderful staff people let go for budget purposes!

Advice to Management

Treat your administrative staff better. Allow for better growth in the company for these hard working staff members. Make sure they are treated as part of the team, especially if they are remote.

Going from cubicles to open space even more of a disaster than the original offices-to-cubicles disaster

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good location. Competitive pay and benefits.

Cons

Very poor physical work environment. An excellent story from the Washington Post and other reliable sources recently noted studies showing numerous drawbacks of open-space arrangements--less work done and more ill people. Research has shown time and again that workers get less done in open-plan offices and that colds, flus, etc. spread much more readily in such environments too. The benefits in building camaraderie simply mask the negative effects on work performance. Not good.

Advice to Management

Open spaces are destroying the workplace. Help your employees to be able to be more productive, happy and stay healthier and admit your errors in the physical design arena. The millennials that work there don't know how good we had it before. They do not know any better and think it's "normal" and "ok" in such an environment. Is that really the best you can do? Customers and employees deserve better. Columbia is not New York City, where office rent is outrageous. All of this his applies to Enterprise Community Investment also.

6. Great company

I have been working at Enterprise Community Partners full-time

Pros

Socially motivated enterprise. Great people, great benefits.

Cons

Varies by department. Generally speaking the company is not growing and few ever leave willingly, so not many opportunities.

Advice to Management

More leaders, less managers.

7. Great place to work for socially minded individuals who want to contribute to a greater good

Former Employee - Director in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Columbia, MD

I worked at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Contributing to the creation and preservation of affordable housing/fulfilling work, working with interested, committed professionals, national scope with local focus.

Cons

The multiple business units have competing interests at times which contributes to confusion and difficulties for the staff

Advice to Management

Align goals and priorities among all the business units. Be realistic about the number of hours in a day, trust your team!

8. It's an interesting place to work.

I have been working at Enterprise Community Partners full-time

Pros

For the most part, the employees are considerate and competent. The organization has a worthwhile cause.

Cons

Although its tagged as a nonprofit organization it operates more like a for profit company. There is more structure, process, rules and regulations than I'm used to after working in the nonprofit sector for 20+ years.

Advice to Management

Offer a method to share ideas and comments.

Great mission, good people and sprawling complexity.

I have been working at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great mission, if you understand exactly how your job or team supports it. The founder Jim Rouse was a great visionary. His vision is still intact and alive at Enterprise.
    - Lots of concerned, passionate and moral people work at Enterprise. Social justice and ethics is a big deal.
    - Depending on the time of year, work-life balance is usually very good.
    - Partial work from home schedules are tolerated by most in the org, and accepted by many lines of business. The IT infrastructure supports telework fairly well.
    - Superb benefits.
    - Nice onsite Gym (in Columbia)
    - Robust and generally well-organized IT department. Enterprise uses an offshore team of programmers that allow the onsite IT team to focus on solving business problems and creating value.
    - Lots of exciting projects are happening at any given time. If you can keep up with the volume of projects and work to understand the politics of the organization, it's pretty easy to make an impact and be noticed for your efforts.
    - Great training and volunteer opportunities. Each department seems to be funded well enough to allow employees to learn new things and grow in their careers and give back to the community.

Cons

- At times, the organization feels needlessly sprawling and complex. It can be hard to understand exactly how you are making a difference. There's a lot of baggage that remains from the recent merging of two disparate organizations, including two CEO's and clashing cultures (non-profit and corporate).
    - This is an acronym and buzzword-heavy company. Lots of ideas and "thought-leaders" - lacking in the execution department sometimes.
    - Enterprise's non-profit salaries are typically well below median for Howard County, except for VP's and up.
    - Leaders seem consistently unwilling to connect the homelessness/housing problem to income inequality. There's a paradox with the mission and funding sources; Many of the same corporations and foundations that are complicit in the housing and homelessness problems are major donors. The focus on individual or grassroots donations seems pretty small in comparison.
    - In Columbia, the newer cubicle environment can be difficult to work in for those people who absolutely have to think, focus and concentrate to do their best work. There's an emphasis on constant collaboration, multiple meetings, interruptions and water cooler chit-chat over real work, getting down to brass tacks and resolving big challenges.
    - A handful of supervisors don't (or can't) do the work that their subordinates do. This puts them out of touch from time to time with real obstacles to progress for their teams.

Advice to Management

- Encourage innovation and R&D at all levels.
    - Consider collapsing departments instead of creating new ones.
    - Simplify and take risks with your message. It's okay to be a provocateur.
    - Continue to encourage employees to work remotely - and continue building the infrastructure that supports collaboration between offices and remote employees.
    - Get employees out of the office to see the work and witness the impact.
    - Continue with the forward momentum that you have with the IT & KIS departments. Enabling and measuring are keys to success.
    - Do what you can to bring up the average median salary for your non-managerial employees.
    - Loosen up on the corporate culture and dress code - If an employee isn't meeting with a donor or making a deal, there's shouldn't be anything wrong with wearing jeans or a t-shirt.
    - Practice what you preach (be green as an organization, not just on the annual report. Encourage transit. Innovate, etc.. )

Good company. Great mission.

I have been working at Enterprise Community Partners full-time

Pros

- Talented and knowledgeable staff
    - Social purpose. We make a difference in the lives of low-income people.
    - Grounded in a clear and goal-oriented strategic plan
    - Solid benefits overall
    - Good work/life balance depending upon your direct supervisor

Cons

- Not enough focus on discipline and planning. The organization wants to maintain its entrepreneurial environment from its early days, but given our current size and the complex work we do, we need greater discipline.
    - Need greater focus on creating the right culture across the entire organization (parent company and all its subsidiaries)

Advice to Management

- Keep recruiting top talent but also focus on retaining the great talent you already have
    - Revisit compensation system to ensure equity and the promotion process to create more opportunity for deserving staff
    - Clearly outline values of the organization and expected behaviors and then hold people accountable, regardless of their level
    - Remember that you set the tone for the entire organization

A terrific set of talent coalescing around a compelling cause -sometimes with
    unneccessary complexity.

Current Employee - Director of Programs
    Current Employee - Director of Programs

I have been working at Enterprise Community Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues and lots of opportunity for growth and advancement. Far reaching.

Cons

Sometimes there is a bureacracy about relatively minor things.

Advice to Management

1. Create more opportunities for staff to learn outside of their box. For example, many people in Solutions would want to learn about finance. The people in Columbia's desk jobs could get out and meet peers and see the work, etc.
    2. One market does not equal one market. Some are small and really just one medium sized city. Others are 2 huge regions with sizzling hot real esate markets. The resourcing and staffing of these different markets should more accurately reflect the nature of and magnitude of the challenges in each place. (Can you can tell I don't think we have enough in ours?)
    3. The salary increases are a little flat. I've been recruited for two jobs out of the blue since I've been here and haven't been tempted (despite their salaries being 25% more than mine here now) to take them bc I love Enterprise and the work so much. But, in a couple years, these sorts of offers will get much more tempting if the distance between my salary and alternatives continues to widen. I imagine this is true for others and wonder if there's a way to create bigger increases or bigger bonuses. I worry about loosing talent and great staff -which I've already seen with colleagues I've enjoyed working with only to find they've left mostly for salary reasons.

Enterprise Community Partners Photos