Enterprise Community Partners

www.enterprisecommunity.com

Enterprise Community Partners Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Enterprise Community Partners – US – “Affordable Housing plus garden”

Terri Ludwig & Charles Werhane

Good company. Great mission.

Pros- Talented and knowledgeable staff
    - Social purpose. We make a difference in the lives of low-income people.
    - Grounded in a clear and goal-oriented strategic plan
    - Solid benefits overall
    - Good work/life balance depending upon your direct supervisor

Cons- Not enough focus on discipline and planning. The organization wants to maintain its entrepreneurial environment from its early days, but given our current size and the complex work we do, we need greater discipline.
    - Need greater focus on creating the right culture across the entire organization (parent company and all its subsidiaries)

Advice to Senior Management- Keep recruiting top talent but also focus on retaining the great talent you already have
    - Revisit compensation system to ensure equity and the promotion process to create more opportunity for deserving staff
    - Clearly outline values of the organization and expected behaviors and then hold people accountable, regardless of their level
    - Remember that you set the tone for the entire organization

Great mission, good people and sprawling complexity.

(Current Employee)

Pros- Great mission, if you understand exactly how your job or team supports it. The founder Jim Rouse was a great visionary. His vision is still intact and alive at Enterprise.
    - Lots of concerned, passionate and moral people work at Enterprise. Social justice and ethics is a big deal.
    - Depending on the time of year, work-life balance is usually very good.
    - Partial work from home schedules are tolerated by most in the org, and accepted by many lines of business. The IT infrastructure supports telework fairly well.
    - Superb benefits.
    - Nice onsite Gym (in Columbia)
    - Robust and generally well-organized IT department. Enterprise uses an offshore team of programmers that allow the onsite IT team to focus on solving business problems and creating value.
    - Lots of exciting projects are happening at any given time. If you can keep up with the volume of projects and work to understand the politics of the organization, it's pretty easy to make an impact and be noticed for your efforts.
    - Great training and volunteer opportunities. Each department seems to be funded well enough to allow employees to learn new things and grow in their careers and give back to the community.

Cons- At times, the organization feels needlessly sprawling and complex. It can be hard to understand exactly how you are making a difference. There's a lot of baggage that remains from the recent merging of two disparate organizations, including two CEO's and clashing cultures (non-profit and corporate).
    - This is an acronym and buzzword-heavy company. Lots of ideas and "thought-leaders" - lacking in the execution department sometimes.
    - Enterprise's non-profit salaries are typically well below median for Howard County, except for VP's and up.
    - Leaders seem consistently unwilling to connect the homelessness/housing problem to income inequality. There's a paradox with the mission and funding sources; Many of the same corporations and foundations that are complicit in the housing and homelessness problems are major donors. The focus on individual or grassroots donations seems pretty small in comparison.
    - In Columbia, the newer cubicle environment can be difficult to work in for those people who absolutely have to think, focus and concentrate to do their best work. There's an emphasis on constant collaboration, multiple meetings, interruptions and water cooler chit-chat over real work, getting down to brass tacks and resolving big challenges.
    - A handful of supervisors don't (or can't) do the work that their subordinates do. This puts them out of touch from time to time with real obstacles to progress for their teams.

Advice to Senior Management- Encourage innovation and R&D at all levels.
    - Consider collapsing departments instead of creating new ones.
    - Simplify and take risks with your message. It's okay to be a provocateur.
    - Continue to encourage employees to work remotely - and continue building the infrastructure that supports collaboration between offices and remote employees.
    - Get employees out of the office to see the work and witness the impact.
    - Continue with the forward momentum that you have with the IT & KIS departments. Enabling and measuring are keys to success.
    - Do what you can to bring up the average median salary for your non-managerial employees.
    - Loosen up on the corporate culture and dress code - If an employee isn't meeting with a donor or making a deal, there's shouldn't be anything wrong with wearing jeans or a t-shirt.
    - Practice what you preach (be green as an organization, not just on the annual report. Encourage transit. Innovate, etc.. )

Great mix of private-public environment!

ProsEnterprise has two sides: the for-profit Enterprise Community Investment side and a not-for-profit side, Enterprise Community Partners. Combination of both cultures makes for a fantastic learning environment. Very smart people, who are passionate and engaged about their work tend to work here!

ConsPromotions, though well deserved, have been a bit sparse on the Investment side. This is not at all a reason not to work here, but something to understand about the culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A terrific set of talent coalescing around a compelling cause -sometimes with unneccessary complexity.

Director of Programs (Current Employee)

ProsGreat colleagues and lots of opportunity for growth and advancement. Far reaching.

ConsSometimes there is a bureacracy about relatively minor things.

Advice to Senior Management1. Create more opportunities for staff to learn outside of their box. For example, many people in Solutions would want to learn about finance. The people in Columbia's desk jobs could get out and meet peers and see the work, etc.
    2. One market does not equal one market. Some are small and really just one medium sized city. Others are 2 huge regions with sizzling hot real esate markets. The resourcing and staffing of these different markets should more accurately reflect the nature of and magnitude of the challenges in each place. (Can you can tell I don't think we have enough in ours?)
    3. The salary increases are a little flat. I've been recruited for two jobs out of the blue since I've been here and haven't been tempted (despite their salaries being 25% more than mine here now) to take them bc I love Enterprise and the work so much. But, in a couple years, these sorts of offers will get much more tempting if the distance between my salary and alternatives continues to widen. I imagine this is true for others and wonder if there's a way to create bigger increases or bigger bonuses. I worry about loosing talent and great staff -which I've already seen with colleagues I've enjoyed working with only to find they've left mostly for salary reasons.

Great place to work with room for improvement.

ProsGood compensation packages, good benefits, nice people, reasonable hours with solid work-life balance, all for a good cause.

ConsOverly complicated structure, minimal new employee orientation (aside from HR/benefit basics), can get lost in your department and never meet other company employees, sometimes feel disconnected from outcome of our affordable housing work.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a solid orientation program that runs quarterly and includes seeing some company buildings/projects out in the field so employee feels connected to organization's common goal. Hire from within more often.

Current employee, and we do have "cubicles"

ProsCompany is where it wants to be as we head to our short and long term goals. We have cubicles, just not the tall ones from the 1970's that an earlier post indicates we went away from. New set up encourages engagement and communication amongst peers and is not a problem, is the new trend of this decade. Awesome benefits and mission that has a purpose. Laid back, great culture, smart and intelligent individuals

Conssome recent changes which are never easy but is all for the good. Wish we still had deli in building but that's manageable

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and keep leading us in the right direction. Happy with the recent changes and glad to be in a position to grow

Change in Direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMission Driven organization for the underserved

ConsA disconnect between the mission and those they work with

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an honest, open and responsive look at the partners they work with

Now they do not even have cubicles, even worse

(Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsOffice is in a good location.

ConsIn the move to the new building, now there are not even cubicles, just open office areas! It's like a funeral wake now. Everyone has to be absolutely quiet so as not to interfere with their neighbor's listening. Very sad in an environment that in the early 2000s used to have offices that encouraged lively conversations within them. Very sad.

Very corporate environment, have gotten away from the basic mission that started Enterprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.Please consider more privacy for your employees. You can trust them, they are very hard workers and having an open area to "keep people on their toes" actually discourages trust. This is not a newsroom, where open areas are needed. .

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNon-profit organization that helps the community in affordable housing. You learn more than what you have thought.

ConsHard to get in. The process to get hired is pretty long. It took me a month just to be done with the paper work.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great experience, terrific social venture platform, and many wonderful colleagues.

ProsMission, track record, people, rigor

ConsSenior mgmt needs to get out of its own way.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Worked for Enterprise Community Partners? Contribute to the Community!