Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.0 2,696 reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

2,696 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Company values hands-on sales people who are wiling to provide exceptional customer service"
    in 216 reviews
  • "met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise"
    in 147 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around)"
    in 387 reviews
  • "If you were to work full time its long hours (730-6) but you never get out at 6"
    in 772 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Terrific company, difficult hours

Management Assistant (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe people are the best! The managers were always there to help if you asked for it.
    Great benefits!
    SO much room for growth and promotion. You need to work for it though.
    You learn how to run a business and your success is in your hands.

ConsEarly mornings and late evenings. Sometimes I would work 50-60+ hours a week. You will also sometimes work weekend mornings and afternoons.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop shifts for the managers. This would help with the work/life balance issues

Great place to work but needs some changes.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Nash, TN

ProsA lot to learn and great mangers who will work with you on HR issues and days you work. Some room to move up in the company but you must show that you want to work and put in the effort for it.

ConsMicromanagement. Pay could be a little more honestly some of us really work hard even if it's a part time job and would like something just a little more even if it's just 25 or 50 an hour after six months of employment because there is so much turn over. Labor Companies. Seriously, get rid of these people and hire company people they do TERRIBLE work and costing the company more money in the long run in my opinion on damage and HR on these TERRIBLE people. I really like working for the enterprise brand but this is going to destroy the company at large locations ( Airports) in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that mangers who sell the best are afforded Airport locations to run. In my opinion just because you can sell well doesn't mean that you are a good manger. I think that running a airport location should be run by someone who has a lot time in the field of management than someone who is 25 years old and been with the company for just a few years. These are million(s) dollar locations and I believe you should have someone with more understanding and history with the company because running an airport location is nothing like running a branch location. These are just my opinions.

Assistant Branch Manager

Assistant Branch Rental Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood money. Great benefits. This is a great company to help boost your resume and workplace skills.

ConsNo life outside of work. Way too many hours

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay, so far.

ProsWork from okay.
    Great Pay, to be working from home
    No commute

Consnight hours
    boring training
    long hiring process

Advice to Senior Managementoffer more schedules

Should be called SALES Assistant

Management Assistant (Current Employee)
    Shreveport, LA

ProsGood way to learn how to deal with the public
    Good logistics training
    Good way to appreciate following jobs

ConsFocused on sales heavily, not management. This leads to good managers not getting promotions, but instead salespersons with no aptitude for management. They also do not promote on growing the rental car fleet. I have seen people double a branch fleet, but have low sales numbers fired. Finally, the Comptroller?(The person in charge of the budget paid to employees), is more worried about saving money for admin bonuses than employee satisfaction. I have heard this person say to cut Full Time employees to PArt Time so they will not qualify for Benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the management side more, this would lead to less turn over. Also,

Branch Manager

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with and a lot of upward mobility opportunities. Management is committed to helping you, as it is in their best interest as well to get you promoted, so there is a huge amount of support from your superiors.

ConsEveryone says it's long hours, but I found that it became normal to work that long so didn't bother me that much. A big frustration I had was that you get paid on fleet growth, but promoted on customer service. So if you have 20 reservations and 12 cars, and you're not allowed to say "sold out" then you're automatically going to upset your customers and hurt your ability to be promoted.

Good starting company, but that's it.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsGood company to start with right out of college that gives you experience in all aspects of business. Normal benefits and decent starting salary.

ConsThey base your starting salary of $32,500 on a 49 hour work week, so the pay isn't that great compared to someone who is working 40 hours a week and making about the same. The program is designed to run you into the ground as an employee because you basically kill yourself working non stop most days, even through lunch a lot of the time because the branch you work at is simply too busy to have an employee take a break. Each branch normally has a manager, assistant, and 2 or 3 "Management Trainees" which is what you start as. Then they have a car prep or 2 that assists with picking up customers. Every few months or so you get moved around to a different branch or airport location to get experience which can be good or bad because some branches are much worse than others in terms of customers and how busy they are. In my experience most of the employees are nicer and genuinely cared about their coworkers up until the Area Manager level. From there on it is strictly business and you are treated as an expendable number and they become much more unrealistic and demanding in terms of what they expect in performance. Each branch is run as it's own business essentially which is good for teaching you the tools to run a business, but as a Manager or Assistant manager, you generally take all the blame and reap almost none of the benefits. For example, if you rent to a customer that meets 100% of the company required guidelines, but then the customer damages the car or it's stolen, etc. then you as the employee at the branch gets penalized and the money is taken away from you instead of it coming from the company which seems unfair and simply a matter of luck. Overall your experience as an employee can be fun at first, but ultimately drains you and depletes you of socializing outside of fellow employees simply because you are too tired and don't have enough time. Your work day is from about 7:10 am until about 6:50 at night with an hour lunch break that's supposed to take place whenever the company gets a break which can be anywhere from 11 am-4 pm. Or like I said earlier the branch is typically too busy to have an employee take time off so they'll order pizza and the employee just grabs a slice or 2 in between helping customers. But a lot of days, getting out at almost 7 pm after being there for 12 hours you are simply too exhausted to go out with friends or go to the gym, etc.
    Another big negative of this company is the promotion potential. You can get from the starting position of Management Trainee to Assistant to Manager pretty quick (3 years or so), but after that it's almost impossible. The amount of Area Manager positions available compared to the number of managers is laughable. It also doesn't help that even when an area manager position does open up, the company doesn't necessarily open it to employees as an option. So that is why I would say 90%+ of the employees leave by their 4th year or so because you are either A) too burnt out to work there any longer, B) Can't wait any longer for a promotion that won't ever happen and simply quit.
    To summarize, Enterprise hires the highest number of college graduates for a reason. It's a good starting company where you can work with peers similar in age doing work that requires a college degree and offers a decent starting salary. On the flip side, you will work like a dog, working about 30%-40% extra hours than your friends at other companies and get so burnt out that you leave after 2 or 3 years and Enterprise hires someone just like you to start the process all over. If you are looking for a job and don't have any other options, feel free to go for it, but don't expect a long lasting career because the growth of Enterprise finished a few years ago and the options just simply aren't there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlmost every branch I ever worked at (about 8 and the airport location) was in desperate need of at least 1 extra employee. Spend the extra money to properly staff the branch and all employees and customers will be happier and business will run smoother.

Fits Like a Glove

Management Trainee (Current Employee)
    Victorville, CA

ProsThe training is very in-depth, and my managers were very helpful in developing me as an employee. The hourly wage isn't the best but they make up for it with plenty of overtime. My coworkers are like-minded and we have a blast working together. The employees and management make this a fun place to work!

ConsDifficult to balance work with personal life, time-off can be difficult to come by if you work at a smaller branch, demanding job working with irate customers on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementTaking time to acknowledge your employees for their hard work means a lot after a stressfull day.

Enterprise Rental car rental agency. Review with pros and con's of the workplace environment. Salary and bonus.

MID LEVEL MGT (Current Employee)

ProsFast paced with room to advance if you can perform. Sales bonuses can be reached easily with effort. Friendly staff and easy to talk to upper mgt.

ConsDisorganized and slow to react. Inventory often lacking. Staffing issues are frequent. Poor compensation for low level workers. Poor treatment of lower staff on occcation.

Hard work

Management Trainee (Current Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsGood experience, lots of type A personalities, plenty of room for advancement, decent pay in a short amount of time

ConsVery hard grunt work at first, like washing and vacuuming cars in a suit. Very long hours, often worked 60 hour weeks

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Videos

Enterprise Rent-A-Car – Why Work for Us?

This is where it all starts. When you join us at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, you'll be part of an industry leader with a rich history. The Enterprise Rent-A-Car brand is owned by St. Louis based Enterprise Holdings, a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Enterprise Rent-A-Car reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Enterprise Rent-A-Car CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson. All 2,696 reviews posted anonymously by Enterprise Rent-A-Car employees.