Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Get promoted to branch manager ASAP...then leave!

Branch Rental Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBranch level employees are full of energy and fun to work with
Healthcare benefits are better than a lot of others
Starting salary is decent for fresh graduates without a skilled degree
Lots of management experience and office administration/operation experience

ConsLong hours...i mean LOOOOOONG hours!
Taking time-off (that you actually accrue each year) is frowned upon
Tenured employees (branch manager and down) are not favored at all
Upper management (above branch level) has a "what have you done lately" mentality
Pay plans are said to be "paid on performance" but they are targeted to keep you at a certain level (and they are changed randomly at any time)
Customer service scores determine promotability, but the customer survey process is VERY OUTDATED and is a COMPLETE JOKE!

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of your founding values is "Customer Service is our way of life"...employees are taught, trained and molded to bend over backwards and give the customer whatever they need to be "completely satisfied", yet upper management COULD NOT CARE LESS whether their own employees are completely satisfied with their career or value in the company. Make sure your employees are completely satisfied first...then they will take care of the customer better and completely satisfy them; and profits will follow.

good, the company is large and a great place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best reason to work for this company is the employees. They are always so nice. Everyone cares about what you think and feel. It is like one big family. I love coming to work

ConsThe long work week can be a bit to much. Some managers never tell you a head of time when they need help They just think you know. Some times they can be down right thoughtless. No matter, you always get a chance to voice your opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more considerate

Interestingm, but was avg.ing over 60 hrs/ week.

Sales Management Trainee (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you are ready to not really have a social life then its a great place to work.
Drive different vehicle and get to know your area/community.

ConsSales #'s to meet, but you won't get fired for not meeting them.
arrive at 7am leave sometimes as late as 7pm. difficult to have a life and work here, unless you make this work your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on hours.

don't waste your time

Branch Rental Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 5 years

Prosif you live through this, you can handle anything

Conswork you to death!!! and don't pay you!!!

Detailer

Detailer (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car part-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome people to work with.

ConsA great company to work for, but if you are part time they dont really care about you.

Great Company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of work/life balance. Low amount of hours. Great benefits.

ConsCustomers, High Turnover, Understaffed offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more with your new hires on a much longer term than just 9 months.

I transferred several times while working with Enterprise and found the experiences to be different by state.

Management Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to learn great customer service techniques and depending on your area and your management team, you get to actually learn the full four step sales process.

ConsI started off in New Mexico and actually thought the job was okay there. I hated the long hours and how lean Enterprise insisted on running, but I could tolerate it until I gained enough experience for another opportunity. However, here in Houston I was asked to do some unethical things regarding sales. There is also a complete lack of teamwork in Houston. When I brought these issues up to management they brushed it aside. It felt like I worked for an entirely different company. There is opportunity to move up, but how fast is not just dependent on sales numbers like they would make you think. Enterprise can be very political at times. Most of the offices and wash bays are very out dated and dirty. I often questioned if any of our wash bays were OSHA compliant.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn Houston, I would advice high management to stop promoting unethical sales techniques and making systems where those who engage in these practices are promoted. I would also ask that teamwork between branches and areas improves. As fas as advice for the entire company, I would ask that Enterprise runs less lean and overall improvement of the offices and wash bays.

Great job for those who do not want a social life.

Management Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey will hire you right out of college. Depending on your managers, the management trainee program can be very beneficial. They promote from with in. They are always hiring due to the high turn over rate.

ConsSay Hello to 60+ hour work weeks and Good-bye to your social life. You will be surrounded by unhappy, rude people all day, whether it is the customer or your employee who is just as miserable as you are. Don't worry about wearing your nice suits, because they will be ruined in a week of work from washing cars. You will wash cars in the blazing heat, freezing cold, and pouring rain. Yes, I said the pouring rain.
You are told that service is what matters most, but the main focus is sales. For the most part, every one who I knew that got promoted hit their numbers the unethical way. If you bring it up with upper management, they turn a blind eye. Upper Management does not greet you with a friendly "Hello, how are you this morning?" they greet you with "What do your sales look like today?". If you express your unhappiness with your progress or concerns with others you work with, upper management will either do nothing about it or transfer you to a different location/department without asking if you are okay with it.
You are not paid nearly enough for the things you do for the company/ deal with on a daily basis. If you know how to run a branch, but can't seem to hit your numbers, the upper management will notice and send you to run a branch with out being paid like a branch manager. Be prepared to be stressed out all day. Upper management will come into your branch over promise on reservations to customers and under deliver when it comes to having cars for the reservations.
Being extremely under staffed is very common, and you will be left high and dry as an MT or MA to run a branch. Don't bother calling any upper management when you get in a bind or stressed and have questions or need help, because they wont answer. Also, you are not guaranteed to take a lunch. We were so busy that as an MT I rarely got a full lunch and as an MA I made sure MT's went before I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees ideas and concerns, there is a high turn over rate for a reason. Praise your employees for the hard work they put in, since your paycheck depends on it. Just because you've been there does not mean you've been in our situation. Do not come into a branch, over promise and under deliver. Do not preach about being an ethical company if you just turn a blind eye when it comes to being notified about unethical employees.

Great company....opportunity for advancement

Management Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than a year

Pros*Top Sales Management Trainee program
*Learn great people skills
*Teaches Professionalism

Cons*Reservations with no cars
*Long hours
*Keeping a positive attitude with irate customers

Advice to Senior ManagementIts all about being at the right place at the right time...if you are in a good location you can sell. If not, your opportunity for advancement is decreased...

I love working for Enterprise Holdings but its time to move on.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is a great company to work for. The 401k is amazing and so is the staff.

ConsOnly way to move up with the company is if you have a degree.

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Videos

Enterprise Rent-A-Car – Why Work for Us?

This is where it all starts. When you join us at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, you'll be part of an industry leader with a rich history. The Enterprise Rent-A-Car brand is owned by St. Louis based Enterprise Holdings, a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Enterprise Rent-A-Car reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Enterprise Rent-A-Car CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Enterprise Rent-A-Car employees.