Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to start if you are extroverted and like sales

Management Trainee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsAcross different cities, locations and branch types (airport, home city) I have always been able to find great coworkers that make the day more interesting
    Job security
    Exposure to contacts at other companies if you are courteous...this translates to job opportunities so that you can leave Enterprise. Many people find their next jobs from customers
    Good sales training
    Learn about cars and consumer behavior to some extent

ConsMuch opportunity for unethical behavior and not checked/encouraged by management
    Pay is abismal, especially for the hours worked
    Unfavorable work-life balance at the branch level...definitely harder for women with children to succeed
    Washing and dealing with cars in a suit...you will ruin multiple pairs of shoes
    Customer service environment so you will deal with upset people daily

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Flag Review
    Enterprise Rent-A-Car Director: Employment Brand responded to this review Jun 11, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review of Enterprise. We take unethical behavior very seriously as our expectation is for employees to act ethically at all times. We would like to hear more about your experience ... More

Turn and Burn employee mentality

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood temporary management experience for new college grads only

Conslong hours
    under paid
    over promised
    unequal performance based promotions/demotions
    unprofessional atmosphere during and after business hours

Advice to Senior ManagementHire for the long term and stop using the "management" so loosely. This is a sales job, be honest up front.

good, the company is large and a great place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe best reason to work for this company is the employees. They are always so nice. Everyone cares about what you think and feel. It is like one big family. I love coming to work

ConsThe long work week can be a bit to much. Some managers never tell you a head of time when they need help They just think you know. Some times they can be down right thoughtless. No matter, you always get a chance to voice your opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more considerate

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

don't waste your time

Branch Rental Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosif you live through this, you can handle anything

Conswork you to death!!! and don't pay you!!!

Interestingm, but was avg.ing over 60 hrs/ week.

Sales Management Trainee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsIf you are ready to not really have a social life then its a great place to work.
    Drive different vehicle and get to know your area/community.

ConsSales #'s to meet, but you won't get fired for not meeting them.
    arrive at 7am leave sometimes as late as 7pm. difficult to have a life and work here, unless you make this work your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on hours.

Detailer

Detailer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsAwesome people to work with.

ConsA great company to work for, but if you are part time they dont really care about you.

Great Company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsLots of work/life balance. Low amount of hours. Great benefits.

ConsCustomers, High Turnover, Understaffed offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more with your new hires on a much longer term than just 9 months.

Great company....opportunity for advancement

Management Trainee (Current Employee)

Pros*Top Sales Management Trainee program
    *Learn great people skills
    *Teaches Professionalism

Cons*Reservations with no cars
    *Long hours
    *Keeping a positive attitude with irate customers

Advice to Senior ManagementIts all about being at the right place at the right time...if you are in a good location you can sell. If not, your opportunity for advancement is decreased...

Great job for those who do not want a social life.

Management Assistant (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThey will hire you right out of college. Depending on your managers, the management trainee program can be very beneficial. They promote from with in. They are always hiring due to the high turn over rate.

ConsSay Hello to 60+ hour work weeks and Good-bye to your social life. You will be surrounded by unhappy, rude people all day, whether it is the customer or your employee who is just as miserable as you are. Don't worry about wearing your nice suits, because they will be ruined in a week of work from washing cars. You will wash cars in the blazing heat, freezing cold, and pouring rain. Yes, I said the pouring rain.
    You are told that service is what matters most, but the main focus is sales. For the most part, every one who I knew that got promoted hit their numbers the unethical way. If you bring it up with upper management, they turn a blind eye. Upper Management does not greet you with a friendly "Hello, how are you this morning?" they greet you with "What do your sales look like today?". If you express your unhappiness with your progress or concerns with others you work with, upper management will either do nothing about it or transfer you to a different location/department without asking if you are okay with it.
    You are not paid nearly enough for the things you do for the company/ deal with on a daily basis. If you know how to run a branch, but can't seem to hit your numbers, the upper management will notice and send you to run a branch with out being paid like a branch manager. Be prepared to be stressed out all day. Upper management will come into your branch over promise on reservations to customers and under deliver when it comes to having cars for the reservations.
    Being extremely under staffed is very common, and you will be left high and dry as an MT or MA to run a branch. Don't bother calling any upper management when you get in a bind or stressed and have questions or need help, because they wont answer. Also, you are not guaranteed to take a lunch. We were so busy that as an MT I rarely got a full lunch and as an MA I made sure MT's went before I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees ideas and concerns, there is a high turn over rate for a reason. Praise your employees for the hard work they put in, since your paycheck depends on it. Just because you've been there does not mean you've been in our situation. Do not come into a branch, over promise and under deliver. Do not preach about being an ethical company if you just turn a blind eye when it comes to being notified about unethical employees.

I transferred several times while working with Enterprise and found the experiences to be different by state.

Management Assistant (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsYou get to learn great customer service techniques and depending on your area and your management team, you get to actually learn the full four step sales process.

ConsI started off in New Mexico and actually thought the job was okay there. I hated the long hours and how lean Enterprise insisted on running, but I could tolerate it until I gained enough experience for another opportunity. However, here in Houston I was asked to do some unethical things regarding sales. There is also a complete lack of teamwork in Houston. When I brought these issues up to management they brushed it aside. It felt like I worked for an entirely different company. There is opportunity to move up, but how fast is not just dependent on sales numbers like they would make you think. Enterprise can be very political at times. Most of the offices and wash bays are very out dated and dirty. I often questioned if any of our wash bays were OSHA compliant.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn Houston, I would advice high management to stop promoting unethical sales techniques and making systems where those who engage in these practices are promoted. I would also ask that teamwork between branches and areas improves. As fas as advice for the entire company, I would ask that Enterprise runs less lean and overall improvement of the offices and wash bays.

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Videos

Enterprise Rent-A-Car – Why Work for Us?

This is where it all starts. When you join us at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, you'll be part of an industry leader with a rich history. The Enterprise Rent-A-Car brand is owned by St. Louis based Enterprise Holdings, a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Enterprise Rent-A-Car reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Enterprise Rent-A-Car CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Enterprise Rent-A-Car employees.