Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

3.2
Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
1,152 Ratings

Pros
  • I got a lot of really good customer service experience (in 249 reviews)

• I met so many great people working for Enterprise (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance if you are married or want to start a family (in 525 reviews)

• Tough starting out with long hours (in 923 reviews)

4,219 Employee Reviews

Management Trainee

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

The on the job and classroom training that you will gain from this program is invaluable. I would recommend any young graduate looking to get into sales or management to go through this program.

Cons

There are long hours, you will be washing a car in a suit, you will most likely have to work at an airport location which will subject you to working nights, early morning, outside in harsh conditions, and on holidays and weekends. With that being said, I still do not regret the training that I have taken away from this experience.

Advice to Management

Create more short term goals and small wins for management trainees like bonuses or little ways for them to earn commission while they are training for advancement.

2. Enterprise

Pros

Awesome company and culture. Literally teaches you everything you need to know about running a business, whether that is sales or customer service or marketing.

Cons

Hours are pretty long and the pay could be a little better. Also, after awhile there seems to be no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Ease the Management trainees into the process a little better. There is a lot to learn and it can be difficult to just throw them in the crossfire.

3. Management Trainee

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at this company are fantastic and Enterprise promotes 100% from within

Cons

I would only recommend this company to candidates who are hard working and want to move up! It is not a job, it's a career.

Advice to Management

Thank you for caring about our careers and growth

5. Work hard but great job out of college

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- you learn the basics and you learn them fast -competitive atmosphere -everyone you work with is outgoing and upper management is similar in age

Cons

-you work a lot of hours - sometimes you have to clean car in a suit

Advice to Management

-train your employee. make that a priority

Good company, great people

Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly has movement up if you put in the effort. A lot of great, like-minded people who make the work day fun.

Cons

Long hours and work weekends, which doesn't really bother myself but some do not like it. Once you hit a certain point, promotions can take a while to come around.

7. Great Company to start your career

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

Great company to work for if you like to work hard. Its a white collar job with a blue collar feel. The value of running your own branch is priceless and perks of driving a rental that covers gas and insurance is great.

Cons

long hours and hours increase as you move up in management. If upper management wants you to quit they will write you up for anything to get you out. Take 2 weeks vacation then leave before its to late.

Advice to Management

hire more people

8. Better Than Most

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vertical and lateral mobility, geographic spread, excellence is rewarded, mostly good coworkers and bosses, good training, fair compensation. Each employee is groomed to run their own business.

Cons

Work-life balance, staffing levels depending on your territory.

9. Great Company, Tough Balance

Current Employee - Management Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent all-around business training, great coworkers, comprehensive sales and customer service training.

Cons

The hours add up, not much of a work-life balance. Dealing with the public can be exhausting.

Advice to Management

Better cooperation between different branches of the business, clear cut advertising on what the branches actually do as opposed to what people think we do.

10. Great job

Pros

Great place to work and to grow.

Cons

Long hours and days are really long

Management Trainee

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Flushing, NY

Pros

You receive great benefits, 401k with employer contributions, fun company events and training, employee discount on vehicle rentals and purchases, and incentives for top performers. You can achieve relatively fast promotions compared to other companies (they 99.99% promote from within). Also, there is never a dull moment at this company, which keeps things from getting monotonous. The company has sectors outside of daily rental that you may be interested in working in after spending time as a trainee and daily rental manager. Enterprise is always growing and there is a lot of job security here provided you perform well enough to keep your job and follow their code of moral ethics and best practices (you'd be surprised how many people don't).

Cons

You'll face very long hours and unfortunately be asked to shorten or completely bypass taking lunch on busier days. You will work weekends. The company has an antiquated dress & appearance code that mandates wearing a suit for males and restricts you from growing facial hair (not even well-kept facial hair). We would look just as presentable in nice polo shirts. Only upper management should have to do the suit-and-tie bit. And even though it is in someone else's job description to clean and prep the cars..you, my friend, will be cleaning cars in a suit. So invest in cheap suits. Don't wear the suit you wore to your best friend's wedding. You'll ruin it by your 2nd week. If there was a way to hold this job working only M-F, I probably would have stayed. But all branches are open at least 6 days, some are 7. And I think part of why I left is because my only work experience was with a 7-day operation and it was tiring. Now, even once you cope with the 58-62 hours a week that contrasts the 44-48 that was said to be expected in the interview process, the hourly commitment would be bearable if we didn't have to shovel all the snow, clean all the cars, do non-stop pick ups and drop offs, grab a phone that never stops ringing, and tend to a myriad of things before even being ready to help a customer into their rental. Don't get me wrong: you will learn a lot from being with this company and I'm actually glad I had this work experience. I just think things can be organized a little better at the branch level. The company intentionally understaffs branches so that manager's collect more in profit sharing from the branch's bottom line. That leaves the service agents, management trainees, and even the assistant managers suffocating under the pressure to perform and meet every customer's wants and needs. Being an assistant manager at Enterprise is probably the most difficult once you get to that level. Now the issues caused by understaffing would be alleviated by having a manager who knows what he or she is doing. If your manager is good at forecasting branch needs based on reservation details, handling customer complaints & disputes, and catering to important accounts without making the average customer suffer, then all of this isn't that bad. But managers earn their promotion based mostly on their sales record as a trainee. Just because you are a good salesperson doesn't mean you'll be the best manager. I've met a lot of suspect managers who I wouldn't let manage my niece's lemonade stand. I did enjoy the day-to-day, week-to-week juggling act a little by just looking at it as a great challenge that, once conquered, you felt like king of the world. I just didn't enjoy it enough to see myself doing it for years and years before making it to upper management where you could breathe a little easier. Only thing that helped dealing with a lot of it was working with a fun team. So if you come to work at Enterprise and you don't like your co-workers at your branch, that magnifies the other day-to-day issues you will encounter and makes them seem even worse.

Advice to Management

I worked under 3 different branch managers during my time with Enterprise and only one organized the schedule in a way that didn't break our team's back. Help your employees have the time off they need to re-group and hit the lot hard or else they won't perform as well.

Showing 4,219 of 4,481 reviews