Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

3.2
Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
1,135 Ratings

Pros
  • I got a lot of really good customer service experience (in 249 reviews)

• I met so many great people working for Enterprise (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance if you are married or want to start a family (in 525 reviews)

• Tough starting out with long hours (in 923 reviews)

4,194 Employee Reviews

Management Trainee

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

The on the job and classroom training that you will gain from this program is invaluable. I would recommend any young graduate looking to get into sales or management to go through this program.

Cons

There are long hours, you will be washing a car in a suit, you will most likely have to work at an airport location which will subject you to working nights, early morning, outside in harsh conditions, and on holidays and weekends. With that being said, I still do not regret the training that I have taken away from this experience.

Advice to Management

Create more short term goals and small wins for management trainees like bonuses or little ways for them to earn commission while they are training for advancement.

Management Trainee

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Flushing, NY

Pros

You receive great benefits, 401k with employer contributions, fun company events and training, employee discount on vehicle rentals and purchases, and incentives for top performers. You can achieve relatively fast promotions compared to other companies (they 99.99% promote from within). Also, there is never a dull moment at this company, which keeps things from getting monotonous. The company has sectors outside of daily rental that you may be interested in working in after spending time as a trainee and daily rental manager. Enterprise is always growing and there is a lot of job security here provided you perform well enough to keep your job and follow their code of moral ethics and best practices (you'd be surprised how many people don't).

Cons

You'll face very long hours and unfortunately be asked to shorten or completely bypass taking lunch on busier days. You will work weekends. The company has an antiquated dress & appearance code that mandates wearing a suit for males and restricts you from growing facial hair (not even well-kept facial hair). We would look just as presentable in nice polo shirts. Only upper management should have to do the suit-and-tie bit. And even though it is in someone else's job description to clean and prep the cars..you, my friend, will be cleaning cars in a suit. So invest in cheap suits. Don't wear the suit you wore to your best friend's wedding. You'll ruin it by your 2nd week. If there was a way to hold this job working only M-F, I probably would have stayed. But all branches are open at least 6 days, some are 7. And I think part of why I left is because my only work experience was with a 7-day operation and it was tiring. Now, even once you cope with the 58-62 hours a week that contrasts the 44-48 that was said to be expected in the interview process, the hourly commitment would be bearable if we didn't have to shovel all the snow, clean all the cars, do non-stop pick ups and drop offs, grab a phone that never stops ringing, and tend to a myriad of things before even being ready to help a customer into their rental. Don't get me wrong: you will learn a lot from being with this company and I'm actually glad I had this work experience. I just think things can be organized a little better at the branch level. The company intentionally understaffs branches so that manager's collect more in profit sharing from the branch's bottom line. That leaves the service agents, management trainees, and even the assistant managers suffocating under the pressure to perform and meet every customer's wants and needs. Being an assistant manager at Enterprise is probably the most difficult once you get to that level. Now the issues caused by understaffing would be alleviated by having a manager who knows what he or she is doing. If your manager is good at forecasting branch needs based on reservation details, handling customer complaints & disputes, and catering to important accounts without making the average customer suffer, then all of this isn't that bad. But managers earn their promotion based mostly on their sales record as a trainee. Just because you are a good salesperson doesn't mean you'll be the best manager. I've met a lot of suspect managers who I wouldn't let manage my niece's lemonade stand. I did enjoy the day-to-day, week-to-week juggling act a little by just looking at it as a great challenge that, once conquered, you felt like king of the world. I just didn't enjoy it enough to see myself doing it for years and years before making it to upper management where you could breathe a little easier. Only thing that helped dealing with a lot of it was working with a fun team. So if you come to work at Enterprise and you don't like your co-workers at your branch, that magnifies the other day-to-day issues you will encounter and makes them seem even worse.

Advice to Management

I worked under 3 different branch managers during my time with Enterprise and only one organized the schedule in a way that didn't break our team's back. Help your employees have the time off they need to re-group and hit the lot hard or else they won't perform as well.

3. Management trainee

Pros

Great company. Great management. Solid pay.

Cons

You will be working long hour days..

Advice to Management

A lot of opportunity to move up.

5. Job Review

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay well for students looking for a career start fresh out of school & they have great benefits.

Cons

To make good money, its pretty much required that you work 48+ hours per week which isnt horrible, but you work long days with limited flexibility.

Advice to Management

They have pretty strict, yet achievable, guidelines for advancement but depending on your location it can be difficult.

6. Get ready for a fast paced, challenging, and fun career. Key word is career. They invest in their employees.

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people, great upper management, management/customer service experience, competitive pay, corporate structure.

Cons

Long hours, under staffing, inconsistent branch (lower) management, inconsistent car options.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the motivated hard working individuals. Don't be afraid of being over staffed! You claim to make billions of dollars a year! Keep increasing pay, offer more off or half days.

7. Management Trainee

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for career advancement. Only promote based on performance.

Cons

Very long work hours with very little downtime. No work/life balance.

8. Awesome opportunity

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car part-time

Pros

I was able to get great leadership and management training. I learned the entire business and by the end was running the branch on my own. They really teach you how I make good business decisions

Cons

Washing cars sucks. But put in your time and show that you want to learn and give them a reason to want to keep you at front and you'll excell.

Advice to Management

It's awesome to have so much exposure to real world management but it would also be good to be able to get more of a feel for what it's like to go into the corporate office since a lot of people do go into corporate positions after they get to branch manager.

9. branch manaager

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

profit sharing and advancement possibilities

Cons

long hours can be a little stressful a t times

Advice to Management

give them you all

10. So much learning. So much fun!

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The promotions are realistic as long as you work really hard. There are incentives and everyone has fun doing their job.

Cons

The hours are pretty long and you work a lot. Sometimes there are no cars and it gets hard to please customers.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

11. Management Trainee Program

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great company with a lot of culture. They prep you to own and start your own business. You can move up here relatively fast as they only promote from within.

Cons

Very long hours. They are not as flexible with the hours and you will have to work some weekend shifts. The dress code is pretty formal so you will be doing lots of tasks in full blown work attire.

Advice to Management

Create more of a balanced work/ life structure for employees. After being at the company for a while you begin to loose morale with the work to pay ratio.

Showing 4,194 of 4,458 reviews