Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.2
3,518 Reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company stays true to their values; customer service really is their way of life (in 249 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 525 reviews)

• you will be working many long hours with not much opportunities to take time off (in 923 reviews)

More Highlights

Would I recommend it? Absolutely not.

Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Variety.
    -It certainly will toughen you up.
    -I reached branch manager in 3 years.
    -Opens the door for other roles (externally), particularly within sales.
    -There are roles outside of rental that are more interesting and rewarding.

Cons

-The hours. On average I worked a minimum of 65 hours a week, even at branch manager level.
    -Always short staffed, hence the above.
    -Huge amounts of pressure. The "yes" mentality certainly helps grow the business but also puts you under huge pressure to meet you obligations. You are forced by senior management to take deals that you simply cannot source a vehicle for.
    -No time to train employees, which means they spend their time surviving rather than developing and learning.
    -Lack of support from senior management.
    -KPIs out of your control negatively impacting your pay.
    -Terrible base salaries.
    -You have to play the game to get ahead, this can mean trampling over peers who you regard as friends.
    -No work life balance. I've known people (branch managers) have to cancel their days off that they've had booked for months because a member of their team has gone "sick".
    -Too much stick, not enough carrot. KPIs and performance reviews can be used in a positive way, not just as a tool to get people to do more. Praise was rare.
    -Poor long term retention. It was a shame to watch the best people leave.
    -If someone leaves or moves out of rental they are deemed to have failed. A huge stigma.

-Focus on your work/life balance. It can make the difference between retaining your best people and losing them.
    -Support the branches. They are the people who drive the business, get cars on the road, greet the customers. Leaving them under pressure and short staffed negatively impacts their behaviour, and ultimately service.

If you like 48 hours a week and 12 dollars an hour this job is for you.

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Davenport, IA

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Training was in depth but they basically try to cheer you up so you wont quit.

Cons

LONG hours.
    Low Pay.
    Terrible compensation.
    Awful clientele.
    1980's computer system.

Update your computer system this is the year 2015.

Stay away! You are fresh out of college and this cult wants you!

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

- You meet some of your best friends who are in the same awful position as you
    -You and these new friends go out drinking... a lot .

Cons

- Worst.Job.Ever. I was unemployed for awhile and then ERAC called. I thought... I can clean cars.... I like being outside.... I can sell a product that our customers DON'T need.

-If you are a top seller for the month, you get to go to an event namely TOP GOLF, paint ball, baseball games, hockey games etc. and drink into oblivion. They treat you like a celebrity, if you are selling that coverage!

- I realized early on that customers were awful and they kept trying to sell me the dream. I stopped selling and it felt great. Once you commit to looking for another job, just stop selling completely. They will take you to lunch and try to sell the dream again and again.

-When they realize that you have stopped selling they will move you to a store far away from your house, that's their way of punishing you. That's when you really need to step it up with looking into a new job!

-The other best part is the exit interview where you can be really honest and tell them why you hated it so much.

-I knew eventually they would start being open on Sundays, I am glad that I got out when I did!

You know it is a crappy job. Pay a decent salary and have only 8 hour days.

Worst job EVER

Former Employee - Management Trainee
    Former Employee - Management Trainee

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Pay and even that was a joke because of the amount of hours they demanded .

Cons

They get fresh out of college students that they can RUN into the ground. They literally burn you out and then you have no other desire but to quit. The work life balance is HORRIBLE. Management was full of a bunch of frat boys who love to drink and party on the company's dime. I will never work for this company again!!!

Grow up. Start your MT's off with higher pay. Stop pretending you care!

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Rental Return Agent
    Former Employee - Rental Return Agent

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

limited work supervision and flexible hours

Cons

Customers and management doesn't appreciate employees. Managers can never be found, impersonal work environment

Show appreciation to employees gain structure,

Marginal but getting worse every day

Current Employee - Lead Driver
    Current Employee - Lead Driver

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee rates on rental cars. Seeing some of the people that have made it to management gives me confidence that i can easily become management somewhere.

Cons

The management. Promoting from within. The same punk kids that barely squeaked by in college get to advance through the ranks and become big shots at Enterprise. Lets not forget the horrible pay.

Treat your lower level employees with respect and not like slaves.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Rental Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Rental Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It will look good on your resume because of the training they provide.

Cons

-There are so many politics within the company. They tell you that "it's easy to move up", but you really only move up if you have managers and people that care about you, otherwise, you're on your own.
    -The hours are terrible, I felt like I didn't have a life and the pay wasn't even comparable. Most days I was lucky to get a lunch at 3:00pm. Sometimes getting lunch is even frowned upon.
    - Many times I felt very unsafe because of the clientele we served. The automotive industry is a shady business. It was an often occurrence that we had to go an repossess a car at 7:30pm at night in the ghetto.
    - You are just a number to them, they do not care about your well being or you as a person.
    - They say that they "take care of their employees and customers first, then growth and profit will follow"- they are only concerned with how much money they are making and what is on paper.

Change the hours or have employees work in shifts. Make sure you know what's going on in your branches, don't just look at the numbers.

Really hard to work here, when you have morals.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to get promoted quickly
    - Company events
    - Paid internships
    - Training
    - No business background required

Cons

- Questionable Ethics: To say this is one of the worst places to work would be an understatement. I started as an intern and worked my way up. I quickly became a management assistant, than an assistant manager. Once I was part of the management team, I started to see things that questioned everything I believed in. My area manager was taking money from body shops under the table. My area manager was also giving his friends' free rentals and writing it off, thus affecting my bottom line and my profit. I thought the correct thing to do would be to bring it to the attention of HR. Unfortunately doing so got me reprimanded. The HR team told me "this is part of the process, and sometimes area managers do things that aren't ethical for the sake of the business".
    - Long Hours:60-70 work weeks for poor pay. Managers get a base salary and therefore end up working 7 days a week for very little pay. If you do the math, you can work for less than minimum wage per hour.
    - Promotions are quick at first but slow down once you reach the manager level.
    - Customer service takes a whole different meaning at Enterprise. Customers who are rude were treated with the most respect. Customers who were nice were taken advantage of. It was part of Enterprises Culture to take advantage of the sweet old people and scare them into taking all the protection products, which they cannot afford. Anyone who didn't speak English as a first language was also considered an ideal customer, because again you could advantage of them.
    - Break the law constantly - In NYS there is a law called 396-Z, which explicitly says that you must sell all additional products individually, unfortunately as part of the wonderful training you are told to package products together (basic and full coverage). Using the terms basic and full is actually against the law.

- Practice what you preach. Don't have an ethics policy that you wont follow.

stay to long and youre gone

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

after 5 years you can make some money

Cons

soon as you start to make some real money you are gone

keep doing what youre doing its making you super rich

Glorified mini can driver and cleaner

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

You get to drive new cars.

Cons

Poor training, under qualified managers, no morals, long hours, you work weekends too.

Spend more time training staff and less on candy crush saga's.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Photos