Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.2
3,042 Reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company stays true to their values; customer service really is their way of life (in 243 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 170 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 486 reviews)

• you will be working many long hours with not much opportunities to take time off (in 888 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun company, terrible working conditions that catch you off guard!

Former Employee - Management Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are fun. The company itself stands for something good (family owned, employee advancement, benefits)

Cons

When they scout you, they promise a LOT. It's a major shock when you start and they tell you your pay rate and what your duties actually are. I didn't want to be one of those entitled post-university grads who think they are too good for the job. So I stuck with it until I couldn't take it anymore, often in tears on my way home for the mess I got myself in and not having the nerve to quit. Here are some highlights from the lowest point in my career-life:

- Hours are incredibly long (7:30am - 6:00pm M-F and every other Saturday). You always start early and always leave late.
    - Pay is so low that when they offer 'Flex Time' to come in late or leave early you actually don't want to because your paycheque will be even worse
    - We have to wash cars in SUITS! Summer, winter, whatever. Salt-stained pants and shoes, forcing you to spend your hard-earned $$$ on more suits. If your branch is too small to have a car prep person, then you bet your bottom you'll be out there cleaning them yourself, sweating, freezing (in the winter) and then you are supposed to come back inside with a smile and shake a customer's hand
    - The push for branch profitability meant we were always understaffed which makes the job even worse. Imagine coming in at 7:30am on a Monday with 25 reservations and ZERO cars to offer. The feeling of stress made my heart palpitate ... very unhealthy feeling and totally not worth it. I would honestly rather a job at Wal Mart!

New hires should make a LOT more money. $1-$2 over minimum wage will NOT help us pay down the university debt (especially when a degree/diploma is required to get the job).

no comment

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

great experience to gain to go forth with

Cons

at some point you hit a wall

Too many hours not enough cash

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people in the company have a pretty positive attitude and like to see others do well. It was a great learning experience. Good training program. Cheap benefits.

Cons

Salary is lacking. Way too many hours. You're on a strict sales quota. You have to wash cars - in suits. Men must wear white shirts - everyday. 3/4 shirts always for women - even in the summer - while washing cars. -______- They say you only have to work one weekend a month - you'll work 2-3. constantly, constantly understaffed. All the upper level managers brag about their big paychecks and only care about the numbers. you have to drive weirdos home and be in a car two feet away from people who say things like, "you're a pretty black girl" or have creeps say things like, "i'll give you 100 bucks to wash my car in a bikini" when you're out in the hot sun scrubbing cars in your suit.

Pay attention to your higher level management. The numbers are fixed.

Management assistant

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Hot girls... Drinking after work encouraged. Half price rentals. Good place for very dumb people with low standards.

Cons

Long hours. Exhausting physically and mentally. Customers are annoying and management is very stupid.

Put some effort into core values. A lot of things, like values are there for looks. Same with "mentorship," it doesnt exist so stop bragging. Raise the prices and have competitive pay. I made more in high school.

Good when you are graduating from college

Former Employee - Management Trainee in South Holland, IL
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in South Holland, IL

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with some great people discount is great if u sell good you get to attend excellence outings

Cons

Washing cars long hours no work life balance and watch what you do

Everyone's in a clique you have to watch out for yourself and management is just greedy and worried about you making them there check

MT

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

Large company to move around

Cons

50 hours a week for $35,000 a year that is = to about $9 per hour. To many interviews for that pay. If the pay was 60 + I can see it. They make it a salary base job so they do not have to pay over time. That make it sound like if going move up fast if you work and anything they ask you to. Ps their is sales in the business. They make seem that is all customer service but it not on the second interview you have to be a sales person not a customer service. You can see it in they face that they are trying to brain wash you to believe that they are job growth.

Great good for recent college grads. If you have any other commitments; forget it!

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to meet some great people. Drive a lot of new cars that you wouldn't be able to do anywhere else. Pay is okay if you live at home and don't have any major bills. You can progress with company quickly if you want to be completely dedicated to renting cars for the rest of your life.

Cons

Long hours. Expect anywhere between 50-70 hours a week. Time off is hard to get because there is always a shortage of staff. Pay is inadequate for the amount time and energy they expect you to put in. You cannot go anywhere with the company without sales. If you are not a good seller, you will not do well. Upper management is tight circle, breaking into is a challenging task.

Give more time off and be more considerate of the employees who put in a lot of time just to rent cars. They need to understand that we have lives too. However, if you are young and just want to work really hard, this could be a good job for you.

Alot of Hours With Terrible Pay

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Riverside, CA

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good training program
    -Some cool people

Cons

-Very low pay until you become a branch manager (this takes a few years and they'll tell you otherwise)
    -Average 55 hours per week; even for branch managers with years in
    -Washing nasty cars in the heat and rain in a suite
    -They always overpromise and underdeliver
    -Paying a family of multi-billionaires alot of money and you get nothing for alot of work

Quit the constant sales gimmick to employees AND customers

Don't work here!

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-You get to meet a lot of people
    -You get to drive a lot of really nice cars

Cons

-Absolutely no work/life balance (60 hour work weeks)
    -Employees are significantly underpaid
    -Very high turnover
    -Washing cars in fancy suits
    -The branches are always understaffed

-Pay your employees a reasonable salary
    -Hire more people
    -Be upfront when hiring new employees

Terribly over worked and under paid.

Former Employee - Management Trainee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who work here are great- many Enterprise employees will tell you that they made some of their best friends while working here. You get to know people quickly when you spend 50+ hours a week with them...

Cons

Awful hours, low pay and unrewarding job. Customers who treat you like you are an idiot and management who fails to deliver on promises. Stress levels would be out of control because of overbooking and under staffing.

You all started in the Management Training program. You must remember how horribly over worked and stressed you were. Stop telling candidates that you respect work-life balance- we all know you don't. Employees shouldn't have to make Enterprise their entire life and give up ever going to the doctor or seeing their friends in order to move up. Give employees the ability to have a life outside of work and help alleviate the stress you created by having more employees at each branch. Also, you pay terribly!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Photos