Entertainment Cruises

Updated August 3, 2014
Updated August 3, 2014
2.9

Michael W. Higgins

A fun place to work but rife with drama and typically boneheaded Front of House/Back of House Managers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises full-time

Pros

Many of my co-workers have become an extended family to me. My managers were usually reasonable and worked to improve me both personally and professionally.

Cons

Inter-office politics is especially strong and sometimes harsh. Work is seasonal which makes for difficult winters financially. If you're not prepared to work long hours sometimes on little rest, the job isn't for you.

Accountability. Front line employees need to be held accountable for their actions but that is even more important for their managers. The most successful Front and Back of House Managers are the ones that are most successful at throwing others under the bus and making excuses.

If you are not their favorite then you will pay dearly!

Current Employee - Micro Managed
    Current Employee - Micro Managed

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great friendships, meeting and helping guests, interactive, something new everyday, people skills, and cruising with a view.

Cons

Favoritism, no room to grow if not a favorite, upper management judges front line staff, no accountability, upper management will not listen to staff... And the list can go on.

Start listening to front line staff and give promotions on skill level and work ethic not on if you are someone's friend or lover. Promote within and stop keeping your employees back just because you don't like someone on a personal level. STOP HAVING FAVORITES.There are plenty of hard working people that get overlooked just because someone does not like them or because they have been talked bad about by a favorite and by the way these favorites are lazy, do what they want, rat on people, and get insulted when called out on when they are not doing their job. It is crazy what some people can do and what others cannot do. It is really sad for a company to have such a great system for hospitality but not follow their system when it comes to their employees. plus offer benefits and livable wages to your frontline staff and maybe you will get some decent working employees! Thank you

One of the most memorable jobs in my career

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Entertainment Cruises full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employee incentives and senior management

Cons

Favoritism, bad exit process, better management training, future career opportunities

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Concept; Horrible management

Former Employee - Server Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Entertainment Cruises part-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting new people, learning about the restaurant business. It is a great company to work for even though the pay is not all that great. Sailing past the statue of liberty never gets old.

Cons

Management is highly unprofessional. They play favorites and do not support the rest of their staff who are actually trying to ensure that the company stays afloat. Good servers have even been fired for expressing their concerns, and confidential information about terminations have been discussed. Staff has also dealt with harassment both sexual and non-sexual from other staff members, and when brought to the attention of management, they turn a blind eye. Personal feelings and opinions hold too much weight with the New York staff, and I personally felt targeted constantly. No one is trustworthy. Do not work here!!!

Actually pay attention to the employees that actually work. Actually coach your staff if you feel like they aren't doing the right thing instead of setting them up to fail at the first sign of trouble.

Too many egos.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Entertainment Cruises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Any time your on a boat in Lake Michigan viewing the Chicago skyline is not so bad. Participating in special events.

Cons

Money. Anyone that knows what their doing can make a lot more money somewhere else.
    Inexperienced floor managers more concerned with exercising their authority that supporting staff.
    Fear based work environment.

Praise and support a lot more. The work is very difficult especially during the high season. In staff meetings stop braiding staff with what is wrong. They do a lot of things right praise them for it and provide solutions for doing things better.

Hard work, low pay, part time, no benefits, mixed bag of good/bad co-workers, seasonal(not many cruises Jan./March).

Current Employee - Marine Deck Crew  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marine Deck Crew in Washington, DC

I have been working at Entertainment Cruises part-time for more than a year

Pros

Outdoors waterside work, get to cruise the Potomac, if you like meeting new people and making customers happy, might be a good introduction to shipboard skills (you can learn as much as you want).

Cons

Low pay, part time, no benefits management expects a lot of dedication for little return, no real incentives for deckhands.

Share some of the wealth pay a person a decent wage. Get down in the trenches to get a grunts view of the reality of your operation.

Friendly company to work for but as a sales associate, your work and professional development plateaus quite quickly

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Entertainment Cruises as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Really friendly environment and thorough training of employees

Cons

There isn't much diversity in regards to your day to day tasks.

None

Fun summer internship but would not make this my career.

Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Entertainment Cruises as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great Friendly environment, Supportive management team, flexible schedules.

Cons

Bizarre compensation schedule, horrible work hours, offices open 7am - 10pm all summer. Ended up being one of almost 70 interns. Was misled about call center environment by having first day orientation in the corporate office and not the office we were going to be working in. Was not communicated that we were mostly cheap labor, strict dress code for a call center.

Internship opportunity wasn't what was expected

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service Intern
    Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service Intern

I worked at Entertainment Cruises as an intern

Pros

Good communication experience on the phone.

Cons

Boring after halfway through the internship.

A Sales Internship that I would never recommend to anyone

Former Employee - Sales Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Entertainment Cruises as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The are only two single benefits to this internship. Firstly, the location of its Chicago downtown office. Lastly, the free dinner cruise tickets.

Cons

There are so many that my fingers would face considerable physical harm if I had to reiterate them. Absolutely the worst internship I have ever had the misfortune to be a part of.

Evolve you internship program,

Worked for Entertainment Cruises? Contribute to the Community!