Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions

Updated May 30, 2014
Updated May 30, 2014
3.2

Lowell Potiker

Pros
  • Working from home allowed a great work/life balance and the compensation was adequate (in 5 reviews)

• Flexibility of work time for family is valued, and the ability to work from home is good as well (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is awful the new ceo should be fired (in 7 reviews)

• Management was almost criminal in their attitude toward sales reps (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It was an excellent start to my career

Former Employee - Publishing Coordinator  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Publishing Coordinator in Troy, MI

I worked at Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very laid back culture, yet still stern enough so that people do not slack

Cons

My department declared bankruptcy soon after my internship ended

Under paid, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gained variety of experiences
    Work hard, Play hard attitude
    Gain valuable experience
    Large number of vacation days (after 5 years)

Cons

Poor management
    Long hours
    Too many chiefs not enough indians
    Management has not changed enough since new owners took over
    No incentive to stay - increase responsibility but no increase in pay

Before making decisions bring the people in to the meetings that do the actual work, or spend a week doing the job of the people in your group so you know what they do. If you can give out a raise but someone deserves do what you can to reward that person/team.

overall good people but hard work

Former Employee - Field Customer Service Representative  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Field Customer Service Representative in Troy, MI

Pros

good people that care about the business and doing things right

Cons

Vacation days are frowned upon

Be a little more flexible

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a great company to work for.

Former Employee - School Fundraising Account Executive
    Former Employee - School Fundraising Account Executive

I worked at Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible, Many at home positions, challenging, fun, compensation, contests

Cons

They constantly change ownership or management or processes, not really surrounded with others so it is hard to learn as you are on your own.

Continue to pay well to keep the best reps and tie the book sales for Fundraising reps to Merchant reps so they work well together. Stop separating the company and make them all one with one goal in mind.

I'm glad I left before they declared bankruptcy

Former Employee - Fundraising Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Fundraising Sales Representative

I worked at Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work from home, set your own schedule, company provides everything in terms of marketing materials, everyone knows what the book is even if they don't use it

Cons

Unrealistic goals, certain people were micromanagers, book quality was tanking, they didn't move digital fast enough, cookie dough through Pine Valley was not popular, clients missed Sally Foster gift wrap catalog

Sales reps aren't stupid. Share the hard numbers with them--they can handle it.

Like working at a startup!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Forward thinking management team taking industry trends into account.
    -Sales representatives being given increased targeting data.
    -Overall focus on growth of business into new markets and technologies without abandoning popular legacy product line.
    -Brand new headquarters building tailored specifically to us.
    -Great collaborative company culture
    -Employees take ownership over success of the business

Cons

-New management brings oversight and requests metrics
    -If you'd consider this a con, you actually have to complete tasks assigned to you by your managers.
    -Some employees still behave like they are in a large bureaucracy, which the company was before new ownership came in.

Stay the course and make sure you stay focused on all employees providing results

It was a pretty good job until they filed bankruptcy.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, OH

Pros

The management did not micro manage.

Cons

Pay structure changed often. Focus moved around

Poor decision making at the top which may be why the liquidated. New ownership now but much the same management.

Love it here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strategic, forwarding-thinking CEO
    Unified executive team with strong ethics and values
    Return of family culture
    Great products with plans to make them even better

Cons

5 CEOs in 6 years and March 2013 bankruptcy have some employees skeptical that things will be different under new ownership

My advice is to keep doing what you’re doing!
         Investing in employees
              **Hired back as many employees as possible in April 2013
              **Reinstated employees’ length of service
              **Within weeks of buy company, gave increases across the board to all employees
              **Recently gave employees ownership in the company through Employee Equity Plan
         Investing in the business
              **Saved the business from bankruptcy
              **Retaining/hiring strong leaders who understand and support CEO’s vision
              **Improving systems so employees can work smarter (not harder)
              **Enhancing existing products and developing new ones

Entertainment is back and better than ever!

Pros

Entertainment is a great company with dedicated people and a fantastic culture. The new owners (who are the founding family) have brought new life back into this historic brand and have positioned us to be better than ever for many years to come. I have been an employee here for over 20 years and during the last 10 years in particular we have been owned by many different corporations or equity funds that took Entertainment in the wrong direction, departing from the core values and principles that made it the great company it once was. When our new owners took us over back in April, they generously gave all employees a pay raise and then immediately started managing the company back to the core philosophy which were the key ingredients to our long term success - a Win, Win , Win for our consumers, our merchant partners and our fundraising partners. In addition to the Entertainment book that everyone knows and loves, along with our updated online site, there is a fantastic new mobile app making our offers easier to use than ever before! With all of this said, Entertainment is on the rise and positioned to grow by leaps and bounds in the years ahead so if you want to join a company with a recognized brand and a bright future, look no further because this is it!

Cons

There were a few employees that were hired back but still acted entitled and not willing to do what it takes to help bring us to the next level. Fortunately most of these people have already resigned or been terminated. ...some of which may have left some of the negative comments you see on this site!

We are absolutely going in the right direction so keep up the great work!

New ownership is bringing a breath of fresh air

Current Employee - Business Manager  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Troy, MI

Pros

New ownership is bringing a breath of fresh air to what was a stale company. Management is digging deep into all parts of the company and making appropriate changes to get us on the right track. It's a slow process because you can't fix everything overnight, but very excited to see that changes are happening daily.

Didn't feel that the old management of the company were hands on. Held a yearly meeting to update on results (which were clearly never accurate), but never interacted with employees any other time. New management is very hands on, interacting with employees on a daily basis and they definitely have an open door policy.

New management just launched an employee ownership program which is very exciting. Empowers the employees by being "owners of the company"

Have seen a lot of different management over the last several years of the company, and finally feel like this is the right group. They are investing in the future of the company again, not downsizing every year like past management.

Cons

Things may not be changing as fast as some would like. Need to keep it in perspective that there was a lot to fix and it can't be done overnight.

Continue communicating with employees on a regular basis and digging into all parts of the company. Updates, even if small, help keep employees motivated.

Worked for Entertainment Publications dba Entertainment Promotions? Contribute to the Community!