www.entrancesoftware.com

Smart+Fun

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a very nurturing quality from senior management to help guide and support you in your efforts at Entrance. You really feel like your voice is heard, and they actually live the culture and values that they have put in place here. It has been an amazing experience.

Cons

Really the only challenge that I see at Entrance is almost being too fun! I have felt in some instances that there may be too many meetings to attend, but if you speak up about it, and it really seems to be affecting your work, they will gladly excuse you from any that you might not have to be involved in.

Great Place to Learn and Grow

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Entrance Software allowed me to build the foundations for my technical sales career. The senior management truly invested in my career, giving me access to the tools and opportunities to help me grow as an individual contributor and team member. We even took a trip to San Francisco for a multi-day sales training. The work environment provided a good balance of fun/social events (happy hours, holiday lunches, celebrating promotions and big sales) with challenging work projects. Since I've left Entrance, the organization has continued to grow tremendously and is considered to be THE oil and gas software consulting company in Houston with top notch customers and consultants.

Cons

At the time, Entrance was a much smaller organization than what it is today, so it required each employee to have a "wear many hats" mentality. This was challenging at times, but in my opinion, it also made work fun and interesting. The organization has grown significantly over the last few years, so I'm sure the roles are more defined and structured.

Keep doing what you are doing! It's great to see Entrance so successful!

At Entrance, I learned and improved more in 6 months than in 2 years at my previous employer.

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a mid-level .NET developer, I found Entrance to be a great place to learn and improve my software development skills and knowledge. As others have mentioned, the concept of improving everything is highly valued there. They believe in removing obstacles to productivity, and as such, I was provided with a powerful laptop and the latest .NET development tools. I did work with some legacy code, but the team worked hard to refactor it to follow proper design patterns at every opportunity.

Entrance isn't perfect, and it isn't for everyone. Despite what I'm about to tell you (below), tt was a great experience for me, though, and it could be for you as well.

Cons

As I said before: Entrance isn't perfect, and it isn't for everyone.

Work/life balance is a joke. I was expected to have 36 billable hours (90%) and 40 total hours (100%) per week on my timesheet. This is totally unreasonable and unattainable unless you either fudge the numbers or just keep working as long as it takes to log 40.

Personally, perhaps the biggest downside is that I was laid off after 7 months there, because a huge project was basically cancelled by the client.

My thoughts on some of the other reviews: If you can't respect the CEO because he doesn't wear a suit every day.. If you can't handle people sometimes joking around at the office.. then Entrance may not be the best place for you.

It is my opinion that you have too many mandatory meetings. I get that you want people to participate, be informed, etc, but consider your audience! As a software developer, I don't benefit from hearing what Sales and Marketing are up to.

As I previously stated in the "Cons" section, it is my opinion that your billed hours quotas and overall utilization quota are totally out of touch with reality. If you demand that your employees are working 40 hours in a 40-hour work week, then they will either lie to you (fudge the numbers) or work themselves to death. Or perhaps you should just be forthcoming about just how many hours per week your employees should plan on working each week in order to be compliant. (You manage your clients' expectations. Why not do the same for your people, especially candidates or new hires?)

Fizzled quickly, chasing trends.

Former Employee - Software Architect in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High turnover, low pay, unstable management and misplaced goals... Was neutral upon hiring, quickly changed my mind as I couldn't decide what the company was working towards and the leaders are greatly misplaced. I'm more concerned about my career than pies and documenting every ridiculous idea that is posted in social media to prepare for the next round of turnover. At first it was "we are growing, growing, growing," which quickly turned into everyone freaking out about hiring sales people and getting higher rankings in searches. Those two topics dominate the very existence that is Entrance. I have no idea what management is trying to accomplish, but it was not for me.

Cons

I did not learn anything. I agree with the post below that there are a lot of claims of being the best in energy but I did not work with one person who had a true background in it or at least they didn't care enough to train me on it. The turnover is intense, and a handful of managers think they know a lot about a little when in reality they know very little about a lot. When exactly you grow out of a start up phase I don't know but I guess I should have seen the signs when on-boarding, or lack thereof.

I would suggest that talking down to people be reviewed first. There must be some leadership club going on because it's a constant topic that is like the guerrilla in the room. There is a tremendous amount of gossip and fakeness, so consider any open door policy nonexistent. Whatever is going on with the obsession with sales is exhausting. You also have zero privacy in the office, and the core of the business is whatever they think is trendy. I just got a really unstable feeling from the beginning. The gossip and feeling of disrespect I got was too much for my head. I felt like I was in high school. I constantly had the feeling that any conversation with a manager was something to set me up or to give them the pleasure of control.

Company is a start-up and acts like one. Management is not understanding and at times unreasonable.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small company environment and nimble with ability to change processes if desired.

Cons

Management lacks strong leadership skills to positively motivate staff.

To make the leap to the next level, consider investing in leadership training in order to learn positive motivation tactics.

Great Disapointment

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gold stars, coloring books and clueless teachers are what amount to working at this organization.

If you yearn for your days at middle school this is the place for you!

If you love gossip, working on picnic benches and seeing multitudes of new hires be laid off just months after being poorly onboarded and given roles they didn't interview, for this place is for you!

If you constantly like being hit by left over marketing junk flying over some randomly placed divider, this place is for you!

Cons

The CEO shows up wearing clown pants and expects to be taken serious. This may actually be a pro if you think clowning around is professional. From the outside in they seem to really know the energy industry, once you get inside you quickly find there there isn't one manager who has a background in energy. The culture and values are fabricated off of some illusion of what a "fun" work place should be. In reality they have no clue on how to mange spending, increase sales cycles and scale revenue growth.

The 90's dot com phase is over, stop acting like you think your a silicone valley start up.

Working for a company that cares about improving makes all the difference.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Entrance Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are the tangible things like the stocked kitchen, smoothie machine, free soda machine, ping pong and shuffleboard tables, flexible work hours, on-site oil changes, on-site chair massages, acupuncturist, dry-cleaning/laundry pick up and drop off, JEANS!!, monthly catered meals, happy hours and celebration events; those are all fantastic, but what really sets Entrance apart for me is the willingness to accept that no-one and nothing is perfect and it is everyone's responsibility to contribute to a culture of improvement and change.

It isn't often that you will find a president who is not only willing to accept feedback as readily as Nate does, but also takes the time to truly consider it as a means to bettering himself and his company. This acceptance and commitment to improvement comes from the top down and everyone in the company is empowered to provide feedback on ways we can improve. It is certainly unique and refreshing, and as such we are ever evolving.

Also, I've never been around so many smart people. The chit chat in the break room can make your head spin whether the discussion is on algorithmic theory in database design or blueberry and banana cream cheese pie. Filling up at the water cooler is never dull.

Cons

They talk about a work-from-home once a week option as a benefit, but Mondays and Fridays are off-limits and if you have meetings on T,W,Th, you are expected to be there unless there is a compelling reason not to be. It's not as easy to take the work-from-home option as it seems.

The company grew rapidly at the end of 2013 and there were some definite growing pains involved including less-than-ideal onboarding of new hires, tenured employees feeling lost in the shuffle, and hiring a few people that weren't culture fits (you can read some of their reviews on this site).

Continue improving lines of communication with the team. Listening to suggestions, feedback, and themes that are repeated in the gossip chain and working to improve these areas and then close the loop with the team about the fixes being put in place.

Entrance - Fast Growth, High Impact, Driven to Learn

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want to see your impact on a company, Entrance is a great place to work. Small, but growing quickly, every employee matters. I flourished in the learning-centric environment, was pushed out of my comfort zone, and learned many skills that I am still benefitting from today. Intense environment means that you get to know colleagues well, and that a bit of wackiness is sometimes needed to blow off steam. Personal development is supported by management, and the company invests in and values its employees.

If you like working with smart people around you, it's a great place to be.

Cons

This is not the place to be if you want to coast. Management has high expectations, and does not expect to increase benefits or pay without also increasing expectations. This means that managing those expectations is crucial from both sides, and that communication skills are key. It can also eventually lead to a burn out if you do not know how to set boundaries.

You have a great company culture, and if you stick to it, you'll find that the people who match will stay.

Former Employee - SharePoint Architect in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - SharePoint Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Entrance Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were nice and very knowledgeable.

Cons

Management while they claim to be involved, proactive and open-doored where completely the opposite. I found them to always have their doors closed in the rare occasion when they actually were around and where quick to dispense criticism but not take some advice on what might actually work better and had been proven repetitively in the work place. I am an IT professional with nearly 30 years of experience and 10 years SharePoint expertise and was treated more like an intern than a respected member of the SharePoint community. Not once was I asked for my opinion on what might work, so I did not offer it. I think this is a great company for the Intern or fresh out of college student looking to garner experience, but would not advise my fellow professional colleges worth their salt in the industry to waist their time until they get their act together.

I will offer my advice now if they read these type of postings and take them seriously. Take care of your people and your people will take care of you. Yes, your customers are important, but if you have no employees to service them or "no employees with the right set of knowledge" because you can't maintain them, then you have no one to service your customers. Customers also like longevity, it builds relationships and continuity, makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. Plus the more intement with them you already are, the less ground you have to cover.

High growth firm with lots of potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Entrance Software full-time

Pros

Strong culture of work/life balance
    Little/no travel (rare for consulting)
    Talented coworkers
    On site dry cleaning pick up/drop off, oil changes, etc.
    Best-in-class tools (aeron chairs, dell laptops, coding tools like redgate, resharper, etc.)
    High degree of transparency with employees and clients
    No staff aug!

Cons

One or two managers are indeed lacking in people skills
    Not industry leading pay, but fair and great fringe benefits
    Typical growing pains of a firm that is doubling every 12-18 months

Keep up the recent changes in management, don't let unfair negative comments on this site discourage you.