Entrance Software

www.entrancesoftware.com

Entrance Software Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Nate Richards

At Entrance, I learned and improved more in 6 months than in 2 years at my previous employer.

Software Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAs a mid-level .NET developer, I found Entrance to be a great place to learn and improve my software development skills and knowledge. As others have mentioned, the concept of improving everything is highly valued there. They believe in removing obstacles to productivity, and as such, I was provided with a powerful laptop and the latest .NET development tools. I did work with some legacy code, but the team worked hard to refactor it to follow proper design patterns at every opportunity.

Entrance isn't perfect, and it isn't for everyone. Despite what I'm about to tell you (below), tt was a great experience for me, though, and it could be for you as well.

ConsAs I said before: Entrance isn't perfect, and it isn't for everyone.

Work/life balance is a joke. I was expected to have 36 billable hours (90%) and 40 total hours (100%) per week on my timesheet. This is totally unreasonable and unattainable unless you either fudge the numbers or just keep working as long as it takes to log 40.

Personally, perhaps the biggest downside is that I was laid off after 7 months there, because a huge project was basically cancelled by the client.

My thoughts on some of the other reviews: If you can't respect the CEO because he doesn't wear a suit every day.. If you can't handle people sometimes joking around at the office.. then Entrance may not be the best place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is my opinion that you have too many mandatory meetings. I get that you want people to participate, be informed, etc, but consider your audience! As a software developer, I don't benefit from hearing what Sales and Marketing are up to.

As I previously stated in the "Cons" section, it is my opinion that your billed hours quotas and overall utilization quota are totally out of touch with reality. If you demand that your employees are working 40 hours in a 40-hour work week, then they will either lie to you (fudge the numbers) or work themselves to death. Or perhaps you should just be forthcoming about just how many hours per week your employees should plan on working each week in order to be compliant. (You manage your clients' expectations. Why not do the same for your people, especially candidates or new hires?)

Fizzled quickly, chasing trends.

Software Architect (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHigh turnover, low pay, unstable management and misplaced goals... Was neutral upon hiring, quickly changed my mind as I couldn't decide what the company was working towards and the leaders are greatly misplaced. I'm more concerned about my career than pies and documenting every ridiculous idea that is posted in social media to prepare for the next round of turnover. At first it was "we are growing, growing, growing," which quickly turned into everyone freaking out about hiring sales people and getting higher rankings in searches. Those two topics dominate the very existence that is Entrance. I have no idea what management is trying to accomplish, but it was not for me.

ConsI did not learn anything. I agree with the post below that there are a lot of claims of being the best in energy but I did not work with one person who had a true background in it or at least they didn't care enough to train me on it. The turnover is intense, and a handful of managers think they know a lot about a little when in reality they know very little about a lot. When exactly you grow out of a start up phase I don't know but I guess I should have seen the signs when on-boarding, or lack thereof.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that talking down to people be reviewed first. There must be some leadership club going on because it's a constant topic that is like the guerrilla in the room. There is a tremendous amount of gossip and fakeness, so consider any open door policy nonexistent. Whatever is going on with the obsession with sales is exhausting. You also have zero privacy in the office, and the core of the business is whatever they think is trendy. I just got a really unstable feeling from the beginning. The gossip and feeling of disrespect I got was too much for my head. I felt like I was in high school. I constantly had the feeling that any conversation with a manager was something to set me up or to give them the pleasure of control.

Company is a start-up and acts like one. Management is not understanding and at times unreasonable.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsSmall company environment and nimble with ability to change processes if desired.

ConsManagement lacks strong leadership skills to positively motivate staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo make the leap to the next level, consider investing in leadership training in order to learn positive motivation tactics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Disapointment

Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGold stars, coloring books and clueless teachers are what amount to working at this organization.

If you yearn for your days at middle school this is the place for you!

If you love gossip, working on picnic benches and seeing multitudes of new hires be laid off just months after being poorly onboarded and given roles they didn't interview, for this place is for you!

If you constantly like being hit by left over marketing junk flying over some randomly placed divider, this place is for you!

ConsThe CEO shows up wearing clown pants and expects to be taken serious. This may actually be a pro if you think clowning around is professional. From the outside in they seem to really know the energy industry, once you get inside you quickly find there there isn't one manager who has a background in energy. The culture and values are fabricated off of some illusion of what a "fun" work place should be. In reality they have no clue on how to mange spending, increase sales cycles and scale revenue growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe 90's dot com phase is over, stop acting like you think your a silicone valley start up.

Working for a company that cares about improving makes all the difference.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are the tangible things like the stocked kitchen, smoothie machine, free soda machine, ping pong and shuffleboard tables, flexible work hours, on-site oil changes, on-site chair massages, acupuncturist, dry-cleaning/laundry pick up and drop off, JEANS!!, monthly catered meals, happy hours and celebration events; those are all fantastic, but what really sets Entrance apart for me is the willingness to accept that no-one and nothing is perfect and it is everyone's responsibility to contribute to a culture of improvement and change.

It isn't often that you will find a president who is not only willing to accept feedback as readily as Nate does, but also takes the time to truly consider it as a means to bettering himself and his company. This acceptance and commitment to improvement comes from the top down and everyone in the company is empowered to provide feedback on ways we can improve. It is certainly unique and refreshing, and as such we are ever evolving.

Also, I've never been around so many smart people. The chit chat in the break room can make your head spin whether the discussion is on algorithmic theory in database design or blueberry and banana cream cheese pie. Filling up at the water cooler is never dull.

ConsThey talk about a work-from-home once a week option as a benefit, but Mondays and Fridays are off-limits and if you have meetings on T,W,Th, you are expected to be there unless there is a compelling reason not to be. It's not as easy to take the work-from-home option as it seems.

The company grew rapidly at the end of 2013 and there were some definite growing pains involved including less-than-ideal onboarding of new hires, tenured employees feeling lost in the shuffle, and hiring a few people that weren't culture fits (you can read some of their reviews on this site).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue improving lines of communication with the team. Listening to suggestions, feedback, and themes that are repeated in the gossip chain and working to improve these areas and then close the loop with the team about the fixes being put in place.

Entrance Software

SharePoint Architect (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people were nice and very knowledgeable.

ConsManagement while they claim to be involved, proactive and open-doored where completely the opposite. I found them to always have their doors closed in the rare occasion when they actually were around and where quick to dispense criticism but not take some advice on what might actually work better and had been proven repetitively in the work place. I am an IT professional with nearly 30 years of experience and 10 years SharePoint expertise and was treated more like an intern than a respected member of the SharePoint community. Not once was I asked for my opinion on what might work, so I did not offer it. I think this is a great company for the Intern or fresh out of college student looking to garner experience, but would not advise my fellow professional colleges worth their salt in the industry to waist their time until they get their act together.

Advice to Senior ManagementI will offer my advice now if they read these type of postings and take them seriously. Take care of your people and your people will take care of you. Yes, your customers are important, but if you have no employees to service them or "no employees with the right set of knowledge" because you can't maintain them, then you have no one to service your customers. Customers also like longevity, it builds relationships and continuity, makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. Plus the more intement with them you already are, the less ground you have to cover.

Entrance - Fast Growth, High Impact, Driven to Learn

Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIf you want to see your impact on a company, Entrance is a great place to work. Small, but growing quickly, every employee matters. I flourished in the learning-centric environment, was pushed out of my comfort zone, and learned many skills that I am still benefitting from today. Intense environment means that you get to know colleagues well, and that a bit of wackiness is sometimes needed to blow off steam. Personal development is supported by management, and the company invests in and values its employees.

If you like working with smart people around you, it's a great place to be.

ConsThis is not the place to be if you want to coast. Management has high expectations, and does not expect to increase benefits or pay without also increasing expectations. This means that managing those expectations is crucial from both sides, and that communication skills are key. It can also eventually lead to a burn out if you do not know how to set boundaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a great company culture, and if you stick to it, you'll find that the people who match will stay.

High growth firm with lots of potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStrong culture of work/life balance
    Little/no travel (rare for consulting)
    Talented coworkers
    On site dry cleaning pick up/drop off, oil changes, etc.
    Best-in-class tools (aeron chairs, dell laptops, coding tools like redgate, resharper, etc.)
    High degree of transparency with employees and clients
    No staff aug!

ConsOne or two managers are indeed lacking in people skills
    Not industry leading pay, but fair and great fringe benefits
    Typical growing pains of a firm that is doubling every 12-18 months

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the recent changes in management, don't let unfair negative comments on this site discourage you.

Learned a lot but not worth the stress and little pay

Software Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe access to learning material and the latest software is great.

If you work better under pressure then this is a great place to work.

They were honest with customers...never saw any occasion where they billed the client for nothing.

People there are passionate about what they do and are very supportive.

ConsPay is no where close to being competitive. Expectations are unrealistic and the pressure to perform (be billable) is overwhelming. They claim a balanced work-life but the reality is simply not true.

Its been a while since I have worked at Entrance...early 2013...and things may have changed since then. While the experience on my resume was worth it, if I had the choice to work there again I wouldn't.

One of the worst place I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey had great health benefits, salary offered was ok, food, fruits, snacks are available. Refrigerator was always stocked.

ConsManagement was very rude and disrespectful
    Environment not setup for open communication
    No formal training and expected to hit the ground running on first day
    Expected to be play different hats for e.g. Business Analyst & SoftwareTester

Advice to Senior ManagementIndividual roles should be crystal clear. If you hire a Software Engineer then they should just build/program. Samething goes if you hire a Software Tester all they are required to do is test the application.

Entrance Software President responded to this review

May 14, 2014

Thanks so much for the feedback - one of our core beliefs is that great people "run to criticism" and we welcome the learning we get even from failure in a hiring decision.

Although our training
    ... More

Worked for Entrance Software? Contribute to the Community!