Envestnet Reviews

Envestnet Chairman, Founder, and CEO Jud Bergman
Jud Bergman

1. A good place to work

I worked at Envestnet

Pros

Growing company and ample opportunity to develop

Cons

As it is a growing company there are many new positions and processes which have not been established

2. Needs a better training system.

I worked at Envestnet

Pros

The employees are very nice and try to train the best they can ( no real training procedures in place)

Cons

Low pay, high turn over, no real structure when it comes to training. The demand is high to produce with very little perks (bonuses and raises).

Advice to Management

Increase salaries (& bonus), having a "nice" manager will not keep employees from looking outside of envestnet.

3. Growing company that is trying to find the right structure.

Former Employee - Various Roles in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Various Roles in Denver, CO

I worked at Envestnet

Pros

Able to partake in corporate entrepreneurship.

Cons

Difficult to grow with removal of educational incentives. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Reinstate educational incentives. Allow and introduce more cross-functional training.

Look Elsewhere....There are much better opportunities in Seattle.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Envestnet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location of office in Columbia Tower is nice if you live in the city.

Cons

I can only speak for what the group in Seattle (formerly Tamarac). My assessment is that the Dev teams and QA teams are managed by people that are in way over their heads because they are inexperienced, immature, and do not have broad industry exposure nor familiarity with best industry practices. They lack people skills and it is very apparent they do not have their subordinates best interests at heart.

A lot of people get fired with little or no notice or are forced to resign. They vanish one day and we are cynically told that they have "chosen to seek opportunities elsewhere". This happens quite a lot. I am leaving because I don't like the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head since there did not seem to be any good reason why many of the people were fired. It's so random that I could be next.

The software development and QA practices are antiquated. They call it Agile but I think of it is Wagile (Waterfall + Agile). No real test automation. Most testing is done the old fashioned way. Consequently lots of regressions.

Lots of politics. Expect no loyalty from your manager. You will eventually be scapegoated if you work here long enough for some screw up or poor planning by your manager. Again, I think this is related to having green managers. They are good at playing CYA by faulting the employee. I almost feel like I am playing a game of gotcha with my manager.

They will claim that this is a forty hour a week job but that's a bald faced lie. Expect a slice or two of Zeek's pizza or some phad thai from Ferry Noodle for your overtime efforts but not a word of thanks or appreciation.

Pay is below average and the benefits are cheesy.

The work is not all that interesting. I would imagine this is the modern day equivalent to circa 1970's COBOL programming in a bank.

No real opportunity for advancement.

Watch your back.

Advice to Management

With the likes of MS, Amazon, and a plethora of smaller software companies, I would think upper management could clean house and bring in better managerial talent for DEV and QA. Open up the wallet a bit and bring in some talent that understands modern software development practices and has some solid industry experience. Many of the managers are Tamarac holdovers and IMHO got their position not out of merit so much as simply being in the right spot at the right time. Tamarac needs some qualified experienced managers.

Also, to attract talent at all levels make the salary and benefits with the Seattle area norm.

Avoid if possible

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Envestnet

Pros

It is an ok company with decent benefits and compensation.
    You would work here when you are in between jobs

Cons

The middle management is absolutely terrible. They have little people management skills. It is always about deadlines and folks who are more interested in knowing if you clocked 8+ hours (it will so remind you of office space). There is no career management here as the middle managers have no clue or industry experience in it. If you are a software engineer (in QA specially), avoid this place. There are so many better opportunities out there, do yourself a favor and find those instead of coming here. If you still are interviewing here, please ask around how many folks have left the company in the last year or two. You will get the clues.

Advice to Management

Develop people management experience. Vest in the careers of you employees if you want the best out of them.

7. Great People

I worked at Envestnet

Pros

People were great to work with. Plenty of opportunity within a growing company

Cons

Compensation a bit lower than competitors

Some good people, but incompetence at many levels

I worked at Envestnet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Work/life balance was pretty good
    -Very social atmosphere and many young people
    -Very entrepreneurial and able to make an impact if you know what you're doing
    -The company serves a real need, so it has done well despite many missteps

Cons

-Very chaotic and disorganized, with many senior people in way, way over their heads
    -Many managers and executives are incompetent, although they were very arrogant and bought their own hype
    -Pay was not competitive and bonuses were laughable
    -Extremely political; the ability to suck up was more valued than talent or competence

Advice to Management

I don't think they'd listen to any advice...

9. Growing firm and excellent opportunity for the right person

I have been working at Envestnet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If self-motivated and assertive, there are opportunities for input and advancement. Good work/life balance for the most part. Seems to be working on areas of improvement. Constantly growing.

Cons

Many areas of needed improvement still in progress but sorely needed. Pay calculations not clear to staff. Large workload. Inexperienced management. lack of training for new hires. Sink or swim in many cases.

No work life balance

I have been working at Envestnet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company growing, promotion potential, benefits adequate

Cons

No work flexibility, difficult to get permission to go to a doctor's appt without being frowned upon, conformity a must, ability to work from home but management refuses to allow it unless you know the right people, lower management unprofessional and untrained on how to manage people, constant criticism without reward, growth has been too fast and training program is non existent, but you are punished for making mistakes without being properly trained. As another reviewer said, and many at the company as well, it's a job, not a career.

Advice to Management

Try some flexibility, realize getting the job done correctly is more important than conforming to a manager's power trip, offer management classes, hire mature management internally, realize retention is valuable and pay for experience. Ask employees about how management is doing, reviews only go down and not up. Consider the big picture and work styles to get the most out of individuals, employees are more motivated when they can trust their superiors and don't feel like their boss owns them.

It's a job not a career

Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Envestnet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are not too many positives other than the hours. The company is good for people that want a job that holds them until they find another opportunity.

Cons

Unless you are in upper management or in with upper management there is no growth. The pay is way below average and the bonuses are very low. Do you homework before starting to work here and make sure to ask the hiring manager about why they are hiring.