Envestnet Reviews

Jud Bergman

1. Good Company, Lots of Opportunity

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Envestnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Envestnet is fostering a good corporate culture and is a growing company. The managers are all hard working and fair.

Cons

Nothing moves in a straight line. There are four teams and three supervisors which must work on and approve every update.

2. Finance Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Envestnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company norm is to have casual Fridays, but no one cares if you were jeans throughout the week as long as there aren't clients. They provide breakfast of Friday. They have the fridges stocked with juice and soda.

Cons

Employees are overworked and underpaid. Management doesn't hold anyone accountable for not performing their job or doing it incorrectly. The employees who do a good job are given more work, while those who don't perform are given less work. Band aids are put on problems instead of finding the source of the problem and solving it from there. They hire people who do not have the right education or experience for the job.

Advice to Management

Manage!

3. Disorganized

Pros

Fancy sounding job nice coworkers sodas in fridge it's in the Columbia center laid back atmosphere

Cons

Training totally nonexistent, work is boring, need to come in at 5am, very disorganized, senior management power trip, people too busy to help you, low pay

Advice to Management

Pay people more and improve training of employees. Get better benefits and care about the clients and other stakeholders.

5. Implementations

I have been working at Envestnet full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

training and guidance from managers

If I had known the issues before starting I never would have accepted the position.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Envestnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office staff is very welcoming to new employees. On site benefits include free juice and soft drinks (when in stock).

Cons

HR department is not very helpful at all, I have not been able to get them to set up my account on the third party website for reimbursement of Flex benefits, but money is being taken from my checks. The AP department is extremely inefficient and any suggestions that I made to make the process more streamlined were not even taken in consideration.

7. Growing company that is trying to find the right structure.

Former Employee - Various Roles in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Various Roles in Denver, CO

Pros

Able to partake in corporate entrepreneurship.

Cons

Difficult to grow with removal of educational incentives. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Reinstate educational incentives. Allow and introduce more cross-functional training.

8. Needs a better training system.

Pros

The employees are very nice and try to train the best they can ( no real training procedures in place)

Cons

Low pay, high turn over, no real structure when it comes to training. The demand is high to produce with very little perks (bonuses and raises).

Advice to Management

Increase salaries (& bonus), having a "nice" manager will not keep employees from looking outside of envestnet.

A good place to work

Pros

Growing company and ample opportunity to develop

Cons

As it is a growing company there are many new positions and processes which have not been established

Look Elsewhere....There are much better opportunities in Seattle.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Envestnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location of office in Columbia Tower is nice if you live in the city.

Cons

I can only speak for what the group in Seattle (formerly Tamarac). My assessment is that the Dev teams and QA teams are managed by people that are in way over their heads because they are inexperienced, immature, and do not have broad industry exposure nor familiarity with best industry practices. They lack people skills and it is very apparent they do not have their subordinates best interests at heart. A lot of people get fired with little or no notice or are forced to resign. They vanish one day and we are cynically told that they have "chosen to seek opportunities elsewhere". This happens quite a lot. I am leaving because I don't like the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head since there did not seem to be any good reason why many of the people were fired. It's so random that I could be next. The software development and QA practices are antiquated. They call it Agile but I think of it is Wagile (Waterfall + Agile). No real test automation. Most testing is done the old fashioned way. Consequently lots of regressions. Lots of politics. Expect no loyalty from your manager. You will eventually be scapegoated if you work here long enough for some screw up or poor planning by your manager. Again, I think this is related to having green managers. They are good at playing CYA by faulting the employee. I almost feel like I am playing a game of gotcha with my manager. They will claim that this is a forty hour a week job but that's a bald faced lie. Expect a slice or two of Zeek's pizza or some phad thai from Ferry Noodle for your overtime efforts but not a word of thanks or appreciation. Pay is below average and the benefits are cheesy. The work is not all that interesting. I would imagine this is the modern day equivalent to circa 1970's COBOL programming in a bank. No real opportunity for advancement. Watch your back.

Advice to Management

With the likes of MS, Amazon, and a plethora of smaller software companies, I would think upper management could clean house and bring in better managerial talent for DEV and QA. Open up the wallet a bit and bring in some talent that understands modern software development practices and has some solid industry experience. Many of the managers are Tamarac holdovers and IMHO got their position not out of merit so much as simply being in the right spot at the right time. Tamarac needs some qualified experienced managers. Also, to attract talent at all levels make the salary and benefits with the Seattle area norm.

Avoid if possible

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

It is an ok company with decent benefits and compensation. You would work here when you are in between jobs

Cons

The middle management is absolutely terrible. They have little people management skills. It is always about deadlines and folks who are more interested in knowing if you clocked 8+ hours (it will so remind you of office space). There is no career management here as the middle managers have no clue or industry experience in it. If you are a software engineer (in QA specially), avoid this place. There are so many better opportunities out there, do yourself a favor and find those instead of coming here. If you still are interviewing here, please ask around how many folks have left the company in the last year or two. You will get the clues.

Advice to Management

Develop people management experience. Vest in the careers of you employees if you want the best out of them.

RSS Feed </> Embed