Environment Agency Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
3.7

Environment Agency Chief Executive Paul Leinster
Paul Leinster

Interesting, mostly challenging work in an area of expertise I am interested in

Current Employee - Hydrologist in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Hydrologist in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work in an excellent office where there is a really good work-life balance. I enjoy my work, particularly for the problem solving challenges that regularly crop up. Fortunately, the a culture of supporting each other helps foster good working relationships.

Cons

Limited room for career progression in technical roles. Lack of reward for gaining professional qualification (i.e. Chartership) compared to the private sector.

Foster stronger relationships between national and area teams.

Great place to work with committed colleagues.

I worked at Environment Agency

Pros

Making a difference to improve the environment.

Cons

A lot of people not pulling their wright and coasting along.

Better motivation to junior staff.

Good employer who really tries to care for their staff

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to use my skills to make the world a better place

Cons

Constant change instigated by political maneuvers

keep us in the loop

I loved working for the Environment Agency - it's rare for an organisation to have so much passion amongst its employees

Former Employee - NetRegs Senior Marketing Officer in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - NetRegs Senior Marketing Officer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about the Environment agency is it's people. Nowhere else will you come across people as passionate about the organisations cause as you do at the EA. Working amongst so many like minded people invested in the company's values, it's impossible not to make friends. This not only makes the working culture enjoyable, but i also found there to be a good social scene and have fond memories of great weekends away with EA colleagues including participating in the welsh castles relay, white water rafting and numerous walking weekends. Having left the organisation 4 years ago, I still socialise with many of my EA friends today. Beyond the office culture, I found promotional opportunities within the organisation to be good. I received 3 promotions in the 5 years I worked there and found that managers were always supportive of my development. I attended numerous training courses and don't think I'd be where I am today without the good foundation that the EA enabled me to gain in the early stages of career.

Cons

It's a large and complex organisation so bureaucracy is rife and stakeholder management becomes a key challenge for all who work here. The resultant impact of this is that projects don't move fast enough which for many becomes frustrating. Add to this the challenges of changes in government and you'll find that there are many things that you will have little to no control over - unforeseen budget cuts being a prime example. With change comes frequent restructures - some people see these as opportunities but for many it's unsettling.

Focus on empowerment of employees and open and honest communication with employees - whatever the circumstances.

The most truly dysfunctional organisation I've ever worked in

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are really passionate about what they do, which can create a really good working atmosphere and a sense of solidarity

Cons

The bureaucracy at the Environment Agency is paralysing. It means that the pace of progress is glacially slow, and this slow pace means that staff are essentially facilitated in doing very little actual work, which compounds the problem. There are a huge number of process-driven activities which mean that in reality teams, particularly in head office, spend very little time discussing or problem-solving the issues they're actually seeking to resolve. I spent 4 years at the EA and I went 2 whole years without having a single team meeting that involved a discussion that directly concerned the problem we were supposed to be addressing. Rather, my team continually discussed how to advance the bureaucratic processes surrounding its management.
    There are opportunities to progress at the EA, but they require an employee to avoid any attachment to a given area of expertise and to essentially become a mercenary. If you hope to work in the EA in your chosen field of expertise and progress up the hierarchy at a reasonable pace, forget it! The means of interviewing for and attaining new positions involves a bureaucratised system of assessment that relates only obliquely to your achievements and expertise. Succeeding at the interview stage within the EA is a skill in itself that has very little to do with how good you are in your current position, how much experience you have, or how good you might be at the one you're applying for.
    Neither good nor bad performance is recognised here. My performance was called into question as many times for failing to accept the poor performance of other departments, as it was rewarded for having done very little over and above my expected duties.
    If you do decide to work at the EA, don't stay for more than a few years, because I think becoming institutionalised there could seriously damage your chances of attaining and retaining employment elsewhere. Having worked in both the private sector and in public service, I would not consider employing an EA employee who had been there for more than 5 years.

Resign

Special

Former Employee - Planning Liaison Officer III in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Planning Liaison Officer III in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

friendship, compassion, training, individuality, working hours, holidays, pension

Cons

trying to get by day to day without a mishap

to look at the person not the job time allocation

Good work but no career progression and infuriating beauracracy

Current Employee - Environment Officer in Farnham, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing worklife balance, incrediable flexibility in work patterns, interesting and challenging work initially with great training in the first couple of years

Cons

Slow career prgoression, rubbish internal communications, beauracracy that makes glacial look slow and teams often have conflicting targets which results in your goals and theirs not aligning

7 years in a post is too long, most people are looking for new challenges around 5. Staff turnover would be better if this was considered

Service Manager/Service engineer

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People and diversity of the job. Broad range of skills needed to be here and training supplied

Cons

Its government at the end of the day, its slow to react to change and takes its time.

Listen to your people more

I'm still here after more than 22 years and that must speak volumes

Current Employee - Resident Lock and Weir Keeper in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Resident Lock and Weir Keeper in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work outdoors without supervision most of the time. I am a site manager, dealing with people all day, gardening, cleaning and caring for a beautiful site set in the countryside that is also my home.

Cons

Being nice to people for over eight hours a day can be very trying and tiring. There is also a great deal of red tape to deal with.

Tap into the vast knowledge/skills base that your team has

demoralising

Current Employee - Water Resources in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Water Resources in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues enerally awesome, good pension scheme,

Cons

upper management do not give a damn about staff. lots of chat, not much action.

listen to staff, stop caring about your own extortionate pay-grade.

Environment Agency Photos

Kings Meadow House (Photo thanks to Geograph user Des Blenkinsopp, Some Rights Reserved)
The Environment Agency building (Photo thanks to Geograph user Euchiasmus, Some Rights Reserved)
Environment Agency Regional Office (Photo thanks to Geograph user Michael Trolove, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo