Environment Agency

Environment Agency Chief Executive Paul Leinster
Paul Leinster

19 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Very good employer

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very conscientious organisation with good benefits and very nice people!

Cons

Hard to progress career wise

Keep communications simple!

Interesting, mostly challenging work in an area of expertise I am interested in

Current Employee - Hydrologist in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Hydrologist in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work in an excellent office where there is a really good work-life balance. I enjoy my work, particularly for the problem solving challenges that regularly crop up. Fortunately, the a culture of supporting each other helps foster good working relationships.

Cons

Limited room for career progression in technical roles. Lack of reward for gaining professional qualification (i.e. Chartership) compared to the private sector.

Foster stronger relationships between national and area teams.

Great place to work with committed colleagues.

I worked at Environment Agency

Pros

Making a difference to improve the environment.

Cons

A lot of people not pulling their wright and coasting along.

Better motivation to junior staff.

Good employer who really tries to care for their staff

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to use my skills to make the world a better place

Cons

Constant change instigated by political maneuvers

keep us in the loop

I loved working for the Environment Agency - it's rare for an organisation to have so much passion amongst its employees

Former Employee - NetRegs Senior Marketing Officer in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - NetRegs Senior Marketing Officer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about the Environment agency is it's people. Nowhere else will you come across people as passionate about the organisations cause as you do at the EA. Working amongst so many like minded people invested in the company's values, it's impossible not to make friends. This not only makes the working culture enjoyable, but i also found there to be a good social scene and have fond memories of great weekends away with EA colleagues including participating in the welsh castles relay, white water rafting and numerous walking weekends. Having left the organisation 4 years ago, I still socialise with many of my EA friends today. Beyond the office culture, I found promotional opportunities within the organisation to be good. I received 3 promotions in the 5 years I worked there and found that managers were always supportive of my development. I attended numerous training courses and don't think I'd be where I am today without the good foundation that the EA enabled me to gain in the early stages of career.

Cons

It's a large and complex organisation so bureaucracy is rife and stakeholder management becomes a key challenge for all who work here. The resultant impact of this is that projects don't move fast enough which for many becomes frustrating. Add to this the challenges of changes in government and you'll find that there are many things that you will have little to no control over - unforeseen budget cuts being a prime example. With change comes frequent restructures - some people see these as opportunities but for many it's unsettling.

Focus on empowerment of employees and open and honest communication with employees - whatever the circumstances.

Special

Former Employee - Planning Liaison Officer III in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Planning Liaison Officer III in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

friendship, compassion, training, individuality, working hours, holidays, pension

Cons

trying to get by day to day without a mishap

to look at the person not the job time allocation

Good work but no career progression and infuriating beauracracy

Current Employee - Environment Officer in Farnham, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing worklife balance, incrediable flexibility in work patterns, interesting and challenging work initially with great training in the first couple of years

Cons

Slow career prgoression, rubbish internal communications, beauracracy that makes glacial look slow and teams often have conflicting targets which results in your goals and theirs not aligning

7 years in a post is too long, most people are looking for new challenges around 5. Staff turnover would be better if this was considered

Antiquated and very slow moving, but with lots of work life flexibility and training.

Former Employee - Environment Officer in Blandford Forum, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Environment Officer in Blandford Forum, England (UK)

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Knowing that you are doing something good. Knowing that the work you do every day makes a difference. Great flexibility around working times and locations. Lots of training

Cons

Systems and processes are very old fashioned, the IT is from the dark ages. In the role I was doing I would have been on 18 months training but would have come out of it with no recognisable qualification. They knew I was starting work and had 3 months to prepare however when I arrived I wasn't meant to have a desk and a laptop and I had neither. With 2 furthe new employees competing for a space I found it very difficult to get on with my training....I regularly had to computer hop as colleagues came back to their desk from being in the field and the computers took so long to boot up that I felt this was definitely putting me behind.

Invest in IT systems, prepare better for staff arrival....and if the job requires a lot of training then perhaps attach a qualification to it.

Service Manager/Service engineer

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Environment Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People and diversity of the job. Broad range of skills needed to be here and training supplied

Cons

Its government at the end of the day, its slow to react to change and takes its time.

Listen to your people more

I'm still here after more than 22 years and that must speak volumes

Current Employee - Resident Lock and Weir Keeper in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Resident Lock and Weir Keeper in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Environment Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work outdoors without supervision most of the time. I am a site manager, dealing with people all day, gardening, cleaning and caring for a beautiful site set in the countryside that is also my home.

Cons

Being nice to people for over eight hours a day can be very trying and tiring. There is also a great deal of red tape to deal with.

Tap into the vast knowledge/skills base that your team has

Environment Agency Photos

Kings Meadow House (Photo thanks to Geograph user Des Blenkinsopp, Some Rights Reserved)
The Environment Agency building (Photo thanks to Geograph user Euchiasmus, Some Rights Reserved)
Environment Agency Regional Office (Photo thanks to Geograph user Michael Trolove, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo