Environment America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environment America Executive Director Margie Alt

Margie Alt

Make a difference, challenge yourself, work hard, become a real force for change

Fellow (Current Employee)

ProsThe Environment America Fellowship is the best entry-level advocacy and organizing experience you'll find, if you want to make political change for the environment right out of college.

I can't overstate how great the training and the amount of empowerment are. It's top-notch, and you get to do things that really matter right away.

It's a good balance of personal responsibility and support.

The best staff directors will devote time to you and include you in decisions. Even ones that aren't as organized or have a lot on their own plates will help you and keep you in the loop if you speak up.

ConsYou have to be prepared to work hard: 50-60 hours a week and 70-80 during the summer, where you will be fundraising (and running a fundraising office). THIS IS NOT A BAD THING. In fact, if you find hard, challenging work to make the world a better place to be rewarding, you will LOVE it. You just have to be ready for it.

The salary, despite what others will say, is manageable. You have to do things like actually plan, make sure rent isn't more than 50% of your income, and forgo binge drinking on most weekends, etc...probably a good idea regardless.

I find that most people who don't like this job don't take the time to understand WHY the salary is what it is -- just politely ask your staff director -- or why you spend time on fundraising -- again, just start a conversation, it's not that hard!

If you're the kind of person who bottles up negativity and doesn't like genuinely long and hard work, this isn't for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

JERKS AND CHEATS

Section Leader (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

Prosnone. Absolutely zero. I had no support, was not paid adequately or on time, and treated like an absolute child.

ConsBeing immediately laid off for not soliciting enough people for money
    Not being paid at all
    Being promised an orientation and having them not show up, then being blamed for it.
    Sleazy management ropes in college students with stuff like "Make a difference and get paid!!!"
    Everyone you talk to automatically hates you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither become a company with a moral standing, or just stop existing

Unpaid, No Metro Stipend, Disorganized

Communications Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWorking on environmental issues, sometimes in the heat of a major climate change bill, like we were in 2008.

ConsInterned here a few years ago. Organization was non-existant, people weren't that friendly or warm to the interns (didn't try to make them part of the team at all). Organization and feedback was very limited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LOVE!

Receptionist/Caterer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCool, laid back, professional, fun..adventurous.

ConsSad when the position eneded.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart an office in Northern California so I can come back:)

Horrible experience, not recommended

ProsResume builder, working with other young people who can commiserate with you.

ConsWe started with 64 fellows in my class. Only 4 made it through the fellowship. Horrible pay, required travel without per diem, A LOT of canvassing, horrible managers and directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop "rating" fellows against one another. We caught onto you at the very beginning and mistrusted all of you from the very beginning.

Good experience, pretty much impossible to live on, and oh, lack of diversity

Fellow (Former Employee)

ProsYou will lobby your congressional delegation, you will be on TV, you will get to voice (some of) your views and meet lots of passionate people across the country and in your state. You will also go on an awesome vacation nearly entirely paid for for a week in the winter. Some of the coworkers you meet (mostly canvassers) will be amazing people.

ConsUltimately, most fellows don't last for two years or go on to work in the network because there are too many factors making the job unsustainable, even if you're really into it. In a seminar on why the everyone quits, they did a survey. Pay and hours were at the top.

You will starting around 24,000 a year for working 50 hrs a week or 80 during the summer as a canvass director. That's fine if you have parents paying your rent, or you enjoy spending 95% of your waking time in the office and enjoy the people you're working with. However, if you're a 20-something with no one supporting you monetarily but yourself it will be difficult to make ends meet.

Environment America is about 98% white, and from what I could tell, most people were upper middle to upper class, which makes sense when you consider the pay. The network prides its self on doing things inexpensively, which is great, however, I don't think that should negate paying their employees decently. Getting paid enough to be able to afford car insurance, for example, shouldn't be considered excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire fewer fellows, pay them more. I imagine more will be retained than in past years, perhaps for cheaper overall! Allow these kids that you recruit so selectively from top schools to have more intellectual input.

Head First!

ProsThis job puts you on the front lines of environmental advocacy right away--you're given a lot of responsibilities and your co-workers expect a lot from you. Your work has a direct impact on protecting the environment, and you can really take pride in your work.

ConsFor some the lack of direction can lead to some ineffective time management, meaning much longer hours than necessary. You're paid like a community organizer (which you are), so if consumer capitalism is your thing, you should look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retention!

I'm doing great work but hate the company

Fellow (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsYou will get to take on projects and responsibilities that essentially nobody else gets to take without any experience. In the 4 months I've worked with EA, I've run 5 press conferences, been published in almost a dozen newspapers, lobbied a U.S. Senator, 1 U.S. Representative, and 3 other Representatives' staffs, and over a dozen State Representatives' and Senators' staffs.

ConsTerrible pay - it's the minimum for white collar (with the exception of in NY and CA, where the salary is higher), which is lower than the hourly minimum wage by 30-40 dollars per week over the course of the year; that's thousands of dollars per year.

Hit or miss "staff director" model - Fellows are paired with experienced Advocates and members of the Field Team, and while I know many who are very happy with their director, many are unsatisfied with theirs.

Extremely long hours - at the minimum, expect to work more than 50 hours a week, and during the summer, you'll be working at least 65-70 per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't mislead your potential Fellows during the recruitment process. Be fair and straighforward with us - tell us that we will be canvassing for 5 months out of the year, tell us that our supposedly usual hours (50-60/week) only cover half the year (the other half is 65-70+), and be honest that we often work 4-6 weekends in a row. These aspects were all heavily glossed over and played down, and when these conditions hit, I was surprised.

Save the environment!

Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou know that you are doing your part to make the world a better place. You're making a change on a large scale.

ConsWhen things get busy you are definitely working long hours. Some of the work is very time intensive in short bursts.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not really have any advice I can think of... I especially like the quick communication and good website.

Canvasser

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to access and will get to know many people

ConsDoes not require any real skills

Worked for Environment America? Contribute to the Community!