Environmental Defense

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
3.7

Fred Krupp

Great place to work...except when it's not

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The organization does cool, important stuff.
    Most employees are smart and intense and dedicated to making the world a better place.
    The organization is focused strategically on getting stuff done.
    Risk taking is often supported.
    Lots of change.

Cons

Lots of change.
    Long hours and you're always on-call.
    Things can go from great to terrible without warning.
    Employees are disposable - I saw a number of people who were seemingly solid employees get systematically pushed out. It was an ugly process and people left angry and confused.
    Management is spotty. Most managers are subject experts and don't do much managing.

Support and manage your talented employees. If someone is on the outs, or if changes are coming, give it to your employees straight.

Great, motivated employees--may make too many concessions to business

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Environmental Defense as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great staff (very motivated and well-meaning)
    Reasonable work hours
    Rewarding work and projects
    Welcoming atmosphere for newcomers
    Relatively little attention on hierarchy

Cons

This obviously depends on where you fall on the liberal-conservative spectrum, but: I'm a pretty moderate environmentalist and often felt that EDF was making too many concessions to please its business partners. Some of the steps businesses took to reduce emissions were almost too minor to matter.
    I'm not sure what the opportunities for growth were; I got the feeling they hired from outside EDF more than from within the organization
    Salary--low for entry-level positions (and San Francisco is an expensive city...)

There has not been a better sense of teamwork in the Development support team but management could use a few pointers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time

Pros

great Development support team. they have great communication with each other, and great sense of teamwork. they are willing to lend a hand when needed, band together to execute projects, and they are not only colleagues but become friends as well. they look out for your best interest along with the best interest of the department to further the success of the company.

Cons

Development management team lacks that communication and teamwork. management team cannot articulate their needs, they can only articulate what is wrong after assigning a task without direction.

needs better communication and articulation of needs. needs to articulate what is wanted when assigning a task rather than waiting to see a draft and pointing out everything that is NOT wanted. need to make themselves more present and available in the office.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seems like a cool place to work but do not accomplish much

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance and generally fun, younger staff, especially in the larger offices. Your experience completely depends on your manager and program. I had some of the best managers and some of the worst. There is no management training for new managers and there are a lot managers managing a lot of people who are not effective managers.

Cons

Extreme lack of transparency into human resources, promotions, compensation, and the organization overall. Everything is driven by money. They will do anything for a dollar even compromise project goals. If you do not have money for something new that you want to do then you will not make it past the first conversation with your boss and no one will help you find the money even though there is an entire department dedicated to finding and securing funding for projects. They pride themselves on being "entrepreneurial" which may have been true 20-30 years ago but not any more. This organization operates/acts more like a corporation than a nonprofit. Not the place for someone who wants to do something very different and is very idealogical/passionate. The wasting of resources, time/money, is also unbelievable...extravagant meals, events, salaries, offices, etc. They discuss "diversity" like white ivory-leaguers, they discuss it but do not do anything about it...by far the least diverse (ethnically, economically, socially, experientially) organization I have ever seen or been a part of in my career.

Train managers. Work experience and/or degrees does not automatically make effective managers. Salaries and promotions should not be so disparate and secretive.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Environmental Defense as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Really nice, passionate people. Everyone is willing to give a helping hand. I enjoyed working with numerous projects during my time there. It was great.

Cons

The pay wasn't great, but what can you expect when you work at a nonprofit. Regardless, I would recommend a job at the EDF to anyone.

Nice organization to work for

I have been working at Environmental Defense

Pros

Pays well. Get to work independently. Learn a lot about helping organizations improve energy efficiency. Proactive staff. Good for the environment.

Cons

Have to pay for expensive training up front. Reimbursed later.

Passionate people, pragmatic enviro ngo, bad salaries and inexistent career development for junior staff

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Defense full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people that work there are great, passionate and interesting; great colleagues.

Cons

salary and lack of carreer development plan

Great EDF Climate Corps Fellowship

Former Employee - EDF Climate Corps Fellow
    Former Employee - EDF Climate Corps Fellow

I worked at Environmental Defense as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The EDF climate corps fellowship gives graduate students an excellent opportunity to affect change at major companies and organizations around the country

Cons

The application process was very drawn out and slightly disorganized. More communication between the submission of the application and the first interview would have been helpful.

Great learning internship!

Former Employee - Economic Policy Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Economic Policy Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Environmental Defense as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Work with really smart people
    -Given intellectually challenging work
    -Interesting weekly lunches with lectures from senior management and outside speakers

Cons

-Unpaid internship
    -Sometimes given work without quite enough guidance
    -Not an easy internship, but overall a very good experience and one that will prepare you for a lot of different types of work down the road

Move away from paper mail fundraising. It might work for now, but it comes across as hypocritical and it's more outdated than the fundraising staff thinks.

Wonderful experience, learned a lot.

I worked at Environmental Defense as an intern

Pros

Supportive, engaged group of passionate people.

Cons

More emphasis on team culture would be appreciative.

Worked for Environmental Defense? Contribute to the Community!