Environmental Protection Agency
www.epa.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Environmental Protection Agency Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Gina McCarthy

Pros:
  • "great work-life balance, friendly people, decent pay, inter-agency collaborative environment"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Great benefits, great work life balance, very easy going office culture"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Ridiculous (month-long) standard HR/background check red-tape for interns"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The salary bands are of course lower than the private sector and max out at the senior management level"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Computer Technician

Deployment Technician (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPros: You get to work for a few months, pay a few bills and Lord have mercy
    on you if you have to pay child support and that is not for lack of love for your
    child.

ConsYou get to pay some of your bills while you work on a contract for 3 or 4 month
    and then it's back to the unemployment drawing board.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive good hard working people a chance at real employment.

Fun

ProsIt was an awesome internship experience. Few government internships are paid. The work wasn't too hard, but the opportunity to learn was always present.

ConsThere was a lot of down time and many of the senior employees seemed to be employed for no really apparent reason other than government bureaucracy.

Summer fellow

Summer Fellow (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsWork life balance was great. Many worked 8:30-5pm or took advantage of flex schedules that allowed for every other Friday off. There was very LOW low attrition and tremendous company loyalty ("lifers"). Employment seemed equal to "tenure". I was only an intern so it's not clear to me how quickly one can move up in management, but there were very smart and qualified people here. I was definitely impressed by the staff at the Research Triangle Park office.

ConsThis is a large and slow moving, government administration. Hence, many activities were bureaucratic and at time non-sensical (example, ordering statistical software or software tools to conduct basic research). The salary bands are of course lower than the private sector and max out at the senior management level. My manager also told me about how government hiring often works -- it's better to know someone on the inside who can guide you on what the actual position is for.... often times job descriptions are written and tailored for a specific employee who already works internally!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfied

ProsEducational, fast paced. Good team work setting.

ConsConstantly changing objectives, hard to adjust.

GRO-U Fellow Experience

GRO-U Fellow (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat working environment that allows for family-friendly/flexible schedules. There seem to be interesting events available most days that I came into the office, ranging from a lecture on the constitution to a slideshow and traditional treats from a trip than an employee wanted to share with the office.

ConsSubject to budget cutbacks and things outside of the agency's control. I had many issues with the computer that I was issued, but help was usually slow in coming because they couldn't keep as many IT people on as they would have wanted. The IT people were shared with other agencies, so this would not be an EPA-specific problem.

Wonderful work environment with great benefits doing interesting work (usually)

Washington, DC

ProsThe fact that it's a good government job is a top reason to work here. But, the best reason to work here is that a good number of your colleagues are intrinsically motivated to protect human health and the environment. The Agency offers a fair number of professional development opportunities (training, details, individual development plans). Highly motivated individuals will flourish in this environment, as long as they are resourceful and can learn to be patient and flexible.

ConsAs with many technical organizations, the middle management team tends to be well qualified as a technical person, but not necessarily as a manager. Many middle managers lack skills, tact, and foresight to lead diverse, motivated teams. If you have a great supervisor, your job will be fantastic. But, there seems to be a lack of great first-line managers.

The high political nature of the Agency leads to senior management keeps busy with managing "crisis" and fails to cultivate a culture of shared goals and common purposes. As with many government agencies, the budget situation is further reducing staff and squeezing resources.

Advice to Senior Management1) Hire folks with educational training in public/business administration. (I once had a middle manager completely dismiss my MPA as being useful in her team - although I do have a MS, too). And, pressure middle/senior managers to continuing education in emotional intelligence and leadership. 2) Stop doing strategic planning in a vacuum, only working with a small fraction of staff. 3) Continue to support innovation, creative thinking, and diversity.

For environmental professionals, the US Environmental Protection Agency is the top government employer.

Environmental Protection Specialist (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe US Environmental Protection Agency, divided into ten (10) geographic regions, is the nation's most powerful and visible environmental organization. For environmental professionals in any sub-field or study, at any career level, there is a job to do at EPA.

ConsThe US Environmental Protection Agency is of course a federal agency and a big bureaucracy, with all the frustration and waste that sometimes goes along with such large public organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll employees, but especially at the lower to mid levels, and especially those working in EPA regions, outside of the HQ offices in Washington DC, deserve and need more positive feedback and support for the good work they do.

Great organization, although it is the governement wheel.

Student Researcher (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsAbility to work independently and without too much oversight.

ConsAgency buerocracy can sometimes slow progress and creativity.

A Great Place to work if you get hired on as a Federal employee

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsOn site fitness Center
    Promotions
    Job details Job shadowing and mentoring
    On site day care
    Family Friendly

ConsContractors do not have access to fitness center.
    Lack in communication between divice

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it is out of the control of management but the agency does need to start the hiring process of outside of Directors and managers.

Laid Back

Environmental Intern (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat People, free time, work at home Friday

Consslow work speed at times

Advice to Senior Managementask us more what we want

Worked for Environmental Protection Agency? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Environmental Protection Agency reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Environmental Protection Agency CEO Gina McCarthy . All 130 reviews posted anonymously by Environmental Protection Agency employees.