Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros:
  • "Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects"
    in 11 reviews
  • "well known company in legal and oil and gas industries"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Use your talent!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsERM is a powerhouse, especially in Oil and Gas. They have a lot of very talented consultants worldwide and really know how to help clients solve challenging problems even in remote regions. I worked on some of the most interesting projects.

ConsThe focus is always on the partners. The consultants are treated like cattle that can be used only for the benefit of the company. Little support is provided in training to make consultants better, and the pay is definitely far below the industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from MacDonald's; your most important resources are those that face the client every day. Take care of the consultants, and they will help grow ERM into a multi-billion dollar company!

The potential is there, but the old heirarchy keeps them stuck in the mud.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsLots of excellent opportunities to meet smart, interesting people. Work on many different kinds of projects for high profile companies. Insight into many different industries.

ConsEntry level pay is very low, and bonuses & raises are highly dependent on the performance of other people. Little room for growth, because they prefer to hire people into the company, as opposed to promoting from within. "Sustainability" mantra is only visible on the company signature, not in actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more. We're more than just hours you can sell, and would like to be treated as such. If you really want to be "the world's number 1 sustainability consultancy", stop catering to oil, gas, and mining, and allow your employees to innovate.

Great people and interesting projects, but senior management is a bit out of touch.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Annapolis, MD

ProsThere are great opportunities to consult for a variety of industries across the globe, while working with a truly interdisciplinary group of professionals who like what they do. Technical skills in the company are top-notch, and most mid-level managers care about their colleagues and subordinates and try to help everyone advance. Time off is very flexible, and the company does still retain some of the entrepreneurial spirit that it once had--if you can identify, market, and win work, you will be recognized, rewarded, and sometimes supported.

ConsThe company that has turned its great technical assets into good financial performance, weathering the Great Recession with a minimum of layoffs and other belt-tightening. However, that success does not seem to flow down to the rank-and-file. Salaries are decidedly mediocre for the industry, health care is very expensive (ERM uses a carrier that a lot of doctors seem to increasingly hate), and the company is terribly stingy with necessary and intelligent expenditures on things like IT, supplies, and training.

This situation (and the absence of clear communication to the contrary) leads employees to the widespread assumption that the most senior partners take the lion's share of the profits for themselves, leaving a small pot to be invested in or divided amongst the employees who do the actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe love the projects and most of the people around us. However, management's unwillingness to distribute profits in a more equitable manner, to keep our health care costs down, or at the very least to explain in concrete, detailed terms why such things aren't happening, is leading to increasing dissatisfaction. In a "talent-constrained" industry, ERM is taking actions that guarantee it will lose some of its most talented staff. We don't need corporate pep-talks, we need to share in the company's success, in a meaningful--yes, monetary--way.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

truth

Intern (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosgreat environment. Wealth of resources for those that know there way around

Consdifficulty getting time with upper level management.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to develop entry level positions

Great People, Great career Development

Associate Engineer (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThe people are very friendly, personable, and passionate about their expertise. Because you are constantly jumping into new projects, you can carve your own career path and are less likely to get bored.

ConsThe goal that 100% of your time should be spent doing "billable" work, (work paid for by a client,) is not practical and can deter people from dedicating their time to other important projects.

Very good

ProsVery progressive with lots of opportunity, A great place to get involved and contribute to the growth of the company.

ConsCan be very hard work, company is growing and evolving rapidly - that said, work life balance is pretty flexible so it doesn't take over life.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain connected with the workers and what is going on.

Workplace flexibility balances high employer expectations

Staff Scientist (Current Employee)
    Annapolis, MD

ProsIn general, the hours are flexible and there is the ability to work from home. Working from home with a sick child or taking off early for an appointment is routine and, unless abused, not frowned upon. The company invests in employees with many in my office pursuing higher education at the expense of ERM. You have the ability to work with many different sectors of the company if you are a versatile person and have the ability to successfully network internally. The people are great and the projects are interesting.

ConsAs the company has grown over the last few years, companywide policies have replaced common sense. Blanket mandates are applied (often health and safety or subcontracting) regardless of sector, leaving project managers to scramble in attempts to jam square pegs through round holes. Global management is either insulated enough that they don’t know how they are affecting the “worker bees” or they don’t care. Much like anywhere else, playing internal politics is important and those who don’t play the game can stagnate.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lecturing low and midlevel employees about performance metrics. We all know that it increases the bonus you get from a very large bonus pool while it does very little to help our bottom line. Don’t expect me to work 60 hour a week for nothing but a $2,000 bonus at the end of the year when you get a $30,000 bonus because the people you manage worked their fingers to the bone. My life, time and family are much more important to me than your wallet.

Fast-paced environment

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsIt is a very fast-paced environment if you are wired that way. You can also climb up the ladder very quickly, but you have to put in the hard work. I've seen employees become partners in their early 30s. The people are hard-working, smart, friendly, and reliable. The company has grown significantly over the past 3 years, therefore, showing a positive financial outlook.

ConsThe company tends to put a lot of pressure on billability, and therefore, most people work more than 40+ hours to catch up on administrative parts of their job too. People's interests also gets lost within the pressure to be billable or to meet clients' demands.

Okay

Houston, TX

ProsFlexible environment. Global. Friendly atmosphere in most groups. Cool projects and opportunities. Growth, despite the economy.

ConsIt's a very typical consulting company. You have to work hard and sell yourself (like an insurance marketer) to get "billable work", which could be an administrative task (like creating a table!). You may have to work overtime without being able to charge clients. Buddying a Partner gets you far otherwise very slow career advancement. No fantastic technical training.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on "people skills" and focus more on the technical capabilities of employees. Have a set salary standard and be more open about your bonus allocation criteria. Some of your best technical people are not into networking and sucking up. Period!!

Dynamic projects, meritocracy-based and hard working consulting

Intern (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGreat atmosphere for environmentally-minded people, a lot of opportunities to try new things within company and social/outreach events outside of work

ConsMust be self-sufficient and be able to win and maintain work and clients, can be long and/or tedious projects, not necessarily an engineering opportunity (for those who are engineers by degree, little to no design work)

Advice to Senior ManagementReally consider the compensation employees earn for the work they put in. Although I did not necessarily experience this, a lot of concerns over adequate compensation were imparted to me and was definitely a deterrent for full-employment

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Environmental Resources Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Environmental Resources Management CEO John Alexander. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by Environmental Resources Management employees.