Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects(in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers(in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues(in 5 reviews)

Well organized and positive environment

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood reputation within the Oil and Gas industry.

ConsSo far so good. No problems yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the global scope and vision.

Fast-pace, high demand, friendly work environment with lots of international opportunities

Associate Scientist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBest part of ERM is the strive for international, capital intensive projects. This allows exposure to different industries and projects internationally. The main sectors are Oil and Gas, Power, Mining and Manufacturing and Chemical.

ConsCan be stressful and time intensive. Salaries are not great until you reach partner (then they are great). Low junior level staff retention. High senior level staff retention

Advice to Senior ManagementPay Junior level staff more and offer better career tracks to increase Junior staff retention.

Awesome company - a lot of opportunity

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAdoption of the Sustainability strategy has changed the company. The ERM Foundation and numerous Green Teams allow us the opportunity to apply our talents to help communities. Recent investments in employees, like the Emerging Leades program, is awesome. This is a group of talented and committed professionals. A lot of opportunity, both career progresson and financial; however, each individual has to take ownership and drive it.

ConsThe company is not for everyone. It is a very high performing group and those that aren't as committed and passionate can feel left out as they don't receive the same rewards and recognition. There have been a lot of programs (that are good and needed) announced but the delays in implementation and lack of communication can get frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication on the status of all the new programs. Don't introduce new programs unless we are able to implement them. Continue to progress the Sustainability strategy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ERM: Challenging environment, interesting projects, takes care of its people, great for ADHD-me!

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Exton, PA

ProsInteresting, and sometimes BIG projects to work on here, and plenty of variety across industry sectors and consulting practices. Access to experts in all fields, flat organizational structure on all levels except the top top, and even there, the people feel like coworkers. Clear emphasis on people and community, including ERM Foundation which raises and allocates funds to worthy organizations and even affords consultants "pro-bono time" to give organizations a leg up!

ConsConsulting can be tough sometimes. You have to stay billable while keeping up with training and other time requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the focus on people--it pays!

This is not the best company, but there are some smart people here, and some good opportunities.

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsInteresting projects in renewable energy, cleaning up environmental disasters, and everything in between.

ConsCompany does not care about employees much, and if you have a bad boss or are stuck in a bad practice group, your life can be miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more offices downtown, and give Commuter Checks to your employees if you have offices in the middle of nowhere!

Brentwood Office-horrible working environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brentwood, TN

ProsAt the very least, it was a good learning experience and I was given freedom to make efforts over and above my job that contributed to office efficiency.

ConsWhen it came time to step up for a big project, there was not enough "teamwork" mentality.
    Women became catty and untrustworthy. HR in GA is even worse (meow!)
    Lots of folks left after I did. My last mistake was covering up someone else's office error so that we didn't look bad in the presentation to the client. I should have left it alone. I learned. Liked my bosses, but after a while didn't trust them. Best thing for me as well was leaving that environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let an office problem snowball. Nip it in the bud and you may have less turnover.

Good.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsManager is very attentive and respectful.

ConsThere isn't a set schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more jobs.

Fragmented, disorganized environmental service provider

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsWorldwide exposure on certain projects

ConsLack of sophistication, low professional attitude, and micromanagement. An environmental firm which receives many contracts from oil and natural gas sector.

A growing company coming to together to be a global force

Partner (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGrowing company - many opportunities to navigate, especially for young consultants. Also, the partner model is a great device to attract and retain top performers

ConsMorale of junior staff seems to be average or low. Some of this is caused by lack of transparency or the ability for them to see the future

Great place to learn but limited career opportunities

Staff Scientist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsERM used to be the engineering leader in site investigation and remediation and contaminated site management. They enjoyed a good reputation for their skills and knowledge. Many of those experienced geologists are still around and most are very interested in sharing knowledge with junior staff and promoting an excellent product. However, the SIR and CSM service lines look like they are being phased out. Newer service offerings, (ex. information systems, EIA, sustainability, etc.) are not mature enough yet to draw a conclusion on quality and market eminence.

ConsVery political and very closed-door leadership. There is absolutely no management training or mentoring so future partners are 'recognized' "the day they come in the door." Advancement appears to be based on political alignment and personality synergies more than on qualification or experience. "Partner-track" candidates are largely caucasian men. Lack of diversity in upper management appears to foster this status quo.

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!