Environmental Resources Management

Updated July 24, 2014

2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

-Great team
    -Friendly atmosphere in the London office, I had a global role where I regularly interacted with people from all levels, and I found that everyone was always extremely welcoming, willing to help, and down to earth, regardless of seniority.
    -Genuinely flexible working hours

Cons

-Be prepared to put in a lot of hours!

Some interesting project work... Below average pay, no/little career development support for more junior consultants...

Current Employee - Risk Consultant II  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Risk Consultant II in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sometimes bring in interesting projects
    Employees range from (a few) talented individuals to incompetent
    Varied experiences, alot of inconsistency across regions, offices...etc.- for me some positives some of my colleagues had much worse experiences others were better off
    Some good people.. for consultants with less than 10 years it is a good place to get foot in the door and be thrown in the deep end to learn on your own but not a place to stay or progress

Cons

Salary is way below industry/competitors
    Poor leadership, alot of mismanagement
    Alot of politics especially partner level (this affects every one further down the chain)
    Attempt to show that there is a flat structure when in fact it is overly bureaucratic
    Alot of inconsistencies re-promotions, salaries, allocation of project work...The company does not have consistent processes and systems across offices. Attempts to correct this seem to make things worse rather than better!
    Generally overrated and does not live up to its 'aims/ambitions' (e.g. The world’s leading sustainability consultancy or more specific to me: top global risk consultancy...etc.)
    Management claim the increased rates are because ERM is as good as the market's best (e.g. for tech safety/risk: DNV) or better than it's competitors, which is fundamentally untrue...

Management need to realise what the market are paying in terms of salaries and close the gap (or at least try!)
    Need to get some consistency across offices/regions (at least start with getting conistency across Business Units in the same country!)
    Improve management of projects and project work allocation
    Be more honest and transparent with Junior and mid-level consultants

Great people, but zero incentive and poor salary

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people (party due to the inevitable Stockholm syndrome)
    - Great projects
    - Varied role

Cons

- Poor pay
    - Poor prospects
    - Micromanagement
    - Bureaucracy
    - Blame culture
    - No actual love for the environment - all about the bottom line
    - Outdated
    - Zero inegrity
    - A tendency for management to put their fingers in their ears and sing whenever you raise concerns.

Invest in people, not projects that go against the environmental statement you supposedly adhere to. Otherwise, your sub-standard consultancy will hire more and more sub-par people as the talent leaves for companies with integrity. Find your soul again ERM.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ERM does not live up to its reputation as a leading sustainability consulting firm.

Current Employee - Consultant Level II  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant Level II in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you work in one of the core environmental consulting practices then ERM is probably a good company to work for, however if you work in other specialist areas it doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the competition on compensation or reputation.

There can be some good opportunities to work on interesting projects.

ERM has a flat organisational structure - you have direct contact with senior management and fast response times.

Good support services. All IT is in-house. Very responsive and knowledgeable. 5 star service.

Cons

ERM has several consulting levels: Consultant I, Consultant II, Senior Consultant, Principal Consultant, and Partner/Tech. Director. They try to make out that there is no 'gradism' and everyone is a consultant. This is not the case. There is a strong reliance on the established hierarchy of grades.

Junior consultants (CI and CII) have limited client contact and often only get involved in delivery and not design of projects.

You've got to love your job at ERM because the pay and reward is significantly below market rate.

The London office has hot desking. I've seen this work in other companies but ERM has it so wrong. The desk layout is intrusive leading to a awkward work environment. You have to book your desk each week and aren't always able to sit close to your team mates, or even get a desk sometimes.

Senior management need to be more visible and communicate organisational strategy more effectively.

Commit to flexible working to improve the London office.

Not as good as it thinks it is

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technical expertise
    Global network
    Strong client base

Cons

I'm not sure that the company knows what it stands for. There is a curious mix of businesses, from hardcore technical expertise in "dirty" areas such as industrial clean-ups to strategic advice on sustainability through information systems. I never had a strong sense of a common purpose amongst the leaders of the organisation - other than to look out for each other. Admission to the partnership - where the real rewards lie - seems to be a black box decision-making process and at the end of the day you need to be "one of the boys" to get in. Salaries are very, very low for the consulting industry (I know, I worked in HR) and the business model is geared towards rewarding the partners every five years or so as they attract another round of private equity investment. There is also a "cult" around the CEO who has surrounded himself with yes-people (mainly men, note). I really am not sure what the future is for the company beyond this current round of investment.

Be much clearer, and demanding, in setting high standards for leadershp across the organisation. Current development framework is mired in a 1990s view of leadership which is utterly unrelated to the real world.

Disappointing company with no ethics.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A global footprint, some good people.

Cons

Company claims to be an environmental consultancy but will work for the largest polluters and whoever pays them.

Interesting folks, poor pay

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great, innovative, interested people who care. Challenging projects and good travel ops. Very non-hierarchical.

Cons

Below average pay and slow promotion processes at junior levels.

Think about your people more than growth.

A wonderful internship experience! Learned a great deal, met great people, and was treated very well.

Former Employee - Intern  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as an intern for less than a year

Pros

+Great work culture
    +Highly intelligent and competent employees
    +High-performing company
    +Was mentored by caring supervisors
    +Was given meaningful work and felt like my output was actually valued
    +Didn't pour a single cup of coffee or make a single photocopy.

Cons

I apologize if this review seems one-sided, but I really can't think of any cons.

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!