Environmental Resources Management Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Environmental Resources Management CEO John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Ability to work on many interesting projects (in 12 reviews)

• In general, great people with good attitudes (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance & Compensation (in 9 reviews)

• Health and safety is a big scam (in 6 reviews)

ERM: Challenging environment, interesting projects, takes care of its people, great for ADHD-me!

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Exton, PA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting, and sometimes BIG projects to work on here, and plenty of variety across industry sectors and consulting practices. Access to experts in all fields, flat organizational structure on all levels except the top top, and even there, the people feel like coworkers. Clear emphasis on people and community, including ERM Foundation which raises and allocates funds to worthy organizations and even affords consultants "pro-bono time" to give organizations a leg up!

Cons

Consulting can be tough sometimes. You have to stay billable while keeping up with training and other time requirements.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on people--it pays!

Awesome company - a lot of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Adoption of the Sustainability strategy has changed the company. The ERM Foundation and numerous Green Teams allow us the opportunity to apply our talents to help communities. Recent investments in employees, like the Emerging Leades program, is awesome. This is a group of talented and committed professionals. A lot of opportunity, both career progresson and financial; however, each individual has to take ownership and drive it.

Cons

The company is not for everyone. It is a very high performing group and those that aren't as committed and passionate can feel left out as they don't receive the same rewards and recognition. There have been a lot of programs (that are good and needed) announced but the delays in implementation and lack of communication can get frustrating.

Advice to Management

Better communication on the status of all the new programs. Don't introduce new programs unless we are able to implement them. Continue to progress the Sustainability strategy.

You get out exactly what you put in!

Current Employee - Sustainability Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sustainability Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is an amazing place for people of all levels who show initiative and take ownership of their work and careers. Their are no glass ceilings based on degree or experience - it is entirely merit-based, with boundless opportunities for rapid growth. The organization is results oriented; I am evaluated based on what I achieve, but have a great degree of flexibility and autonomy in how I generate results.

Cons

The environment is fast-paced; ERM works on the most challenging projects in the consulting industry as a trusted advisor to major clients. People who want to do the bare minimum to scrape by will be valued for their contribution, but will be disappointed if they expect major increases in salary, bonuses, or responsibility by just doing the minimum. If you want atypical results, you need to distinguish yourself - this is not a place for 'B' players.

Advice to Management

The local management in Austin is incredible - completely in touch with the staff in the office, focused on team building, and dedicated to personal and professional growth. The senior management at the global level (which, to their credit, spends time with the employees in offices around the world) could be better about communication to stakeholders within the entire company. Even so, based on their peer group, they are a big cut above the rest.

Amazing Community

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Take all of the smartest and most driven people in the industry, orient them around common goals, and inject them with a willingness to mentor, and you have ERM. These people are super-successful in multiple aspects of life, and it shows in the company - besides incredible financial success and staff growth, our office has an indoor soccer team, yoga, weekly board game sessions, volleyball, happy hours, video games, parties, and a ton of other activities. There is also a really strong community engagement culture - a community garden that provides food to an organization educating at-risk youth about nutrition, school supply drives for needy children, an active Engineers Without Borders community with projects in Peru and Panama and the local Urban Water Trotter Challenge, a Sustainability Committee and Green Team, park and lake clean ups, homeless community and soup kitchen volunteering, mentoring for student river watch groups, and other ways to engage. We really get the chance to make an impact. The leaders work really hard, but also demonstrate work-life balance, especially with their families, and expect others to do the same. It's a true sustainability culture, and it shows in the office and with clients!

Cons

If you are used to being the smartest person in the class and the biggest overachiever, look out! Your ego is in for a shock, not because people are not really nice, but because the bar is set extremely high. Great place to learn, grow, and collaborate, but you have to be willing to strive. If you expect to outpace your coworkers in six months instead of being part of a special team, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

ERM allows ambitious people to move forward in their cares really quickly, but driven people will force themselves into burnout even though the organization works really hard to message around work-life balance. Sometimes it is better to give people time to mature even if it drives them crazy.

Exciting, dynamic work environment, great opportunities for career growth

Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Merit-based environment - if you have a good idea, you are encouraged to share it and use it to drive value for clients, regardless of age or experience. Hard work is rewarded with praise and bonuses/advancement, opportunities to manage others. Leadership team - Upper management in Austin goes out of their way to create an inviting, friendly and collaborative work place while simulateously driving the business forward. They listen to staff input and try hard to engage all employees in the conversation and development of office comraderie. Vision for Sustainability - ERM has implemented a corporate strategy over the last 5 years that has fundamentally changed and continues to change our company. The focus on sustainability is real, and we are constantly pushing to do better.

Cons

Company growth = constant change - as we grow, there are all sorts of new initiatives and new programs coming out, and while they're moving ERM in the right direction, it's often hard to keep up. Clearer, more proactive communication from management would be helpful. Consulting is demanding - the nature of the business is that our clients have needs and competing priorities, so the pace of consulting is not for everyone. I have found a work/life balance, but it's a constant balance of work needs, family life, and learning nice ways to say "no". More internal programs to teach employees strategies for this would help any consulting firm.

Advice to Management

Overcommunicate on changes that are in place so that employees understand the big picture, and how this makes ERM better. This needs to not only go to the partners, but to everyone down through the consulting ranks. Think in terms of a management system - ERM has great tools, but very little infrastructure to tis us together in a systematic way that helps us be thoughtful and proactive as a company. In much the same way we help our clients implement continuous management systems to help manage their business, ERM needs to do the same. We're getting there, but there is so much left to do. More focus on consistent, periodic training on ERM processes is needed (e.g. project management, GMS), especially for the abundance of new employees that are still learning company culture, and need more exposure to the softer skills that consultants need.

7. Great

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Culture, People, Clients, Sector, Practice

Cons

Growing Big, Geography, Systems, People, P&L

Advice to Management

Focus, Focus, Focus, Focus, Focus

8. Very good

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Very progressive with lots of opportunity, A great place to get involved and contribute to the growth of the company.

Cons

Can be very hard work, company is growing and evolving rapidly - that said, work life balance is pretty flexible so it doesn't take over life.

Advice to Management

Remain connected with the workers and what is going on.

9. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and great place to work. Full of fun with great people

Cons

Compensation should reflect on industry standard

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

The Life of a Consultant Isn't For Everyone

Current Employee - Partner
    Current Employee - Partner

Pros

ERM is very people-centric and invests heavily in training. It conducts annual engagement surveys on which it achieves high scores compared to other companies. There is a clear (albeit not an easy) path to partnership for those associates wishing to put in the time and effort to be promoted. ERM has a substantial effort to fund and support environmental and sustainability causes, and tracks its carbon footprint so that it can set targets for reducing it. ERM attracts some of the most intelligent, highly accomplished people in the industry and affords its people the opportunity to work on challenging and interesting (sometimes even fun) projects. While it has over 140 offices in 41 countries there is a strong sense of community between locations. Employees are encouraged to work remotely and are provided the tools and resources they need to do so effectively.

Cons

Working as a consultant involves long hours and extensive travel and that life can be difficult for some. ERM's history of growth by acquisition has created some disgruntled legacy employees who can be difficult to get along with ("life was perfect before ERM bought out Joe's Consulting Shack). The lack of direction and feedback from leadership and frustrating because your boss may be located in another State or constantly on the road. As others have mentioned, billability is a primary concern and as consultants are typically overtime exempt employees, those who choose this life and expect extra compensation for working long hours are likely to be disappointed.

Advice to Management

There should be more of an effort to connect associates to peers. ERM works hard, but needs to play hard too. Weed out the legacy employees who constantly whine that things were better before ERM. Greater collaboration across offices and business units should be encouraged.

11. I had an excellent experience working with ERM

Former Employee - Project Manager in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Exton, PA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Fabulous and diverse project opportuntiies

Cons

I was working on energy efficiency proposals and they deemed it duplicative of their marketing department jobs, so I was laid off.

Advice to Management

I don't presume to give management advice.

RSS Feed </> Embed