Environmental Resources Management

Updated August 18, 2014

2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

No place to build a career

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Office location - They are using the office location to attract talent who want to work in trendy downtown Austin. Downtown Austin is a great place to work, lots of walking distance lunch places and always special events going on that you can catch during lunch or after work etc. The open office concept they are going to is great, the offices are big open areas with a telemarketing or customer service call center atmosphere.

Cons

On the other hand once you gain more experience you will realize you are going nowhere. You are either a partner or a worker at ERM. When something goes right the partner takes credit. When something goes wrong its the project manager's fault. You're not allowed to do anything without the partner's approval which is inefficient particularly since they are nonresponsive. They are making a lot of money off the staff and they are ruthless in pushing for higher billability - and you have to find your own work. The staff turnover is high and their business model is ok with that. They plan on you being around for a few years and moving on so that's why they are constantly recruiting. This is no place to build a career. Its just a job for a little while.

This a white collar sweatshop run by an unethical group of partners. They lied about advancement opportunities to get me in the door. Then they dumped a sinking project in my lap that already had significant budget and schedule problems and held me accountable for it in order to protect the partner and his buddy who had run the project into the ground before I was involved. Also, in many years in this field this is the first time that a supervisor tried to coerce me into taking an unethical track to benefit a client. ERM used to be a place that would roll up its sleeves and get the job done but now it is a risk-averse corporation loaded with bureaucracy and "CYA" procedures that keep you from getting anything done and it thrives on smooth and flashy but empty words.

They use salesforce.com religiously as a platform to track clients and marketing efforts and project wins but they don't give licenses to everybody so those with a salesforce license are at an advantage.

no thanks.

Health and safety issues are a constant jeopardy

Current Employee - Geologist  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Geologist in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

During 2y experience in ERM Brazil I could work with key clients.

Cons

My beyond the awful work environment, having as responsible for the code of conduct and human rights a professional who harasses morally more employees than any other is a shame for a company of global recognition.
    This is a huge problem that causes widespread dissatisfaction, generates high turnover of senior consultants and worsens the weak sense of team

The place is falling apart

Pros

The company loves to tout it's "people oriented" focus. It's also considered a growing company although it has handled it's growth incredibly poorly

Cons

This is a pressure cooker environment that you do not want to come to work for. The growth has led them to hire outside for about 90% of their leadership positions and they simply do not promote from within. There is no room for advancement and the current leadership pool is of the short term variety that comes in, siphons off what profits and perks they can and then bails out before things go wrong. They've been doing that for a few years now and it's gutted the company of any long term talent. Turnover is astronomical and management likes to capture meaningless buzzwords like "One ERM" and beat everybody over the head with them till we're sick of it. The truth is, our counterparts around the world are treated and compensated very differently and "One ERM" rings very hollow. The growth has caused them to become incredibly centralized with the power concentrated in England. The English tend to be very arrogant and treat the Americas and other divisions with disdain. Local decision making and creativity has completely evaporated and London orders everyone around like children now.

Ditch the current centralized train of thought. You've abandoned the principles that got you to this point and indeed - fired many of the people who got you here. I'm not sure anything can save this company at this point in time - I think it's probably too late by now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Those who sleep with their "Partners" get more billable hours for their Night-time Job.

Pros

No pros at all. Pathetic company to work for.

Cons

Several. The seniors have several billable hours in the budget, but assign the entire project with very minimal "billable" hours to the junior consultants and claim the rest for themselves for their selfish reasons (to maintain billability and a good reputation for themselves without actually working on the project).

THE BUDGET SHEET SHOULD BE MANDATORILY SHARED WITH ALL CONSULANTS WHO WORK ON THE PROJECT. AND STOP CHEATING YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

I understand the high turnover rate

Current Employee - Staff Geologist
    Current Employee - Staff Geologist

Pros

Good vacation even if you're starting out new. Never had trouble getting some time off or rearranging a day to go to an appointment (i.e. dentist). Benefits are good and pay is decent if a little under what industry should be if you have more education. My coworkers in the field were always easy to work with.

Cons

NO BILLABLE WORK! I was hired for a position that had at most 25 hrs of billable work each week with a few exceptions (doesn't exactly fit the description of "full time"). I am continually told to ask for work within the office and always hear the same answer: nothing this week or nothing you can help with. Then I am continually sent emails chastizing me for my terrible billability. There are only so many times every week I can volunteer to do literally any billable work and be told I'm out of luck. The few things that I get to do are not related to what I was hired for. It is incredibly discouraging to want to work, be willing to put in the time and effort, and be unable to do so. I am looking for a new job elsewhere as soon as I can. I'm even willing to take a pay cut if it means I can find a job that will allow me to work.

If you want to have work at ERM, get into auditing or compliance or be the only field position in your office.

On a final note, I fail to see the point ot annual reviews if no incentive is given to work harder or better each year. Give me all 1s or all 5s and I'll still be given the mandatory 1-2% raise, at best. More senior level managers who are plainly awful at their jobs seem to enjoy overtime and bonuses regardless of their shoddy work and lost contracts.

Stop hiring people if you have no work for them. Then stop blaming them for the situation you put them in. Stop rewarding terrible/poor work, no matter who it comes from.

Hard to believe in a global recognition

Former Employee - Tech Lead  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Tech Lead in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

some senior consultants really do a great job despite the mismanagement, bureaucracy and no administrative support

Cons

My 5 years experience ERM Brazil was definitely very enlightening!

I can not understand the criteria for partner selection: all of them with little or no knowledge about environmental issues and poor leadership.

The unique partner ability that I was could identify was mismanagement.

Rare senior consultants know what they are doing in the midst of so much bureaucracy and mismanagement.

No administrative area features professional work. It is total improvisation all the time. Health and safety is a big scam. Work environment is hostile and hysterical, far from being competitive, and stimulated by partners.

Hard to believe that ERM claims to have a global recognition when I see the same problems in other ERM offices in other countries.

I believe that ERM partners do not hear any advice

Poor internal ethics

Current Employee - Partner  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Partner in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Advertised as environmentally friendly company

Cons

Most senior partners are just looking to increase their bonus in the short term, without any investment on new partners. Very short sighted and lack of vision. Senior partners also don't know how to manage change in a growing company. Mostly, their mentality is a small mom and pop's firm and can't handle large projects or commitments. Also they are extremely adverse to what they call "risk". All other consultants are doing what ERM calls risky, so i honestly don't know where can they grow if they are unwilling to do the work.

Check your turnover rate, and open your eyes!!
    it spells disaster!!

Rapidly losing credibility

Former Employee - Environmental Consultant  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Environmental Consultant in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

Good opportunities with key customers, but most of them lost due to poorly formulated proposals

Cons

These comments are specifically about ERM BRAZIL.

- Proposals : The commercial and technical proposals are quite poor. Undermine the work of coordinators;

- Partners and Directors : Most of Partners and Directors are less experienced than any senior consultant . The Managing Partner 's people skills are left much to be desired . Managers with half the experience of the people they are managing .
    Partners and Directors has poor knowledge about national environment laws and regulations (Technical Responsibility Endorsement is complusory)

- High turnover rate: intense turnover, specially senior consultants, shows a lack of effective technical procedures in all areas;

- No support for professional support: Administrative and logistics
    areas are more valued than environmental team . Those not at such levels are left to fend for themselves and are at the mercy of the bureaucratic system of the company .

- moral harassment / Health and Safety: false culture of safety, employees do not really care about the health and safety knowledge, skills, equipment or even laws and regulations of local and national health and safety work.
    The partners of people leaving due to lack of projects, but revolves around telling others what is due to lack of performance, employees Despite having had an excellent performance. CEO conceals the harassment made ​​by partners and employees.
    The harassment beyond the acceptable

- Productivity: Lack of sophistication , low professional attitude and micromanagement . Very superficial assessment . Productivity affected by work environment and no cooperation . Complete lack of sense of team .
    The desk layout is leading to the awkward work environment intrusive . You have to book your desk each week and aren't always able to sit close to your team mates , or even get a desk sometimes .

For a global environmental consulting firm is very strange their partners are not ISO14001 proficient and not certified by ISO 9001.

Clients: key clients relationship is extremely difficult due the defined goals by partners unskilled. Company claims to be an environmental consultancy but will only works for the largest polluters and whoever pays them, not always independently.

ERM: Suffice to say, this is a company that had a distinct history, but seems to be rapidly losing credibility and professional ethics in the environmental market.

Not a good place to build your career

Seek your true professional areas

below expectations

Former Employee - Tech Lead  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Tech Lead in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

flexible hours at work
    a lot of opportunities

Cons

I worked 6 years in ERM Brazil and SA ERM. I decided to leave because I did not notice any improvement in these six years.
    Moral harassment beyond the acceptable
    Very superficial assessment
    Productivity affected by work environment

very little respect

Pros

Hard to find out one

Cons

I worked for a year and never found so pretentious and snobbish staff for the quality of work they do.
    The vast majority do not know what they are doing.
    What a disappointment to one company that says global leader

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!