Environmental Resources Management

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 12 reviews)

• Great People, Get to learn a lot of things from very experienced people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 9 reviews)

• Low awareness of local environmental laws, labor laws and standards of health and safety (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Greenwashing Consultancy

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some senior consultant are great

Cons

Management unable to grasp large project planning
    High turnover rate due mismanagement

avoid them because they are not reliable.

No sense of teamwork or collaboration..

CLAIM WORKER'S COMPENSAION. HORRIBLE COMPANY

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No pros at all besides the toilets being autoflush.

Cons

Several. Horrible work environment. The goal is nothing but getting as much money as you can from clients. The partners, the seniors or project managers have several budgeted hours for a project. But they cheat their own employees (junior or entry level consultants) by assigning as much work as they can to those entry level consultants with LESS *BILLABLE* hours. So ofcourse anyone who looks at the timesheet is going to assume that junior consultant is not being productive or billable because he hasn't claimed that many hours for the entire project.

So what happens to those several remaining billable hours??? THE PARTNERS, PROJECT MANAGERS, SENIORS claim those hours for themselves even though they didn't work on the project at all. They make the excuse for reviewing the finalized work and trying to find errors so they can blame the juniors.

TO ALL CURRENT EMPLOYEES: YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO COMPLAIN TO OSHA AND IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR THE EMPLOYER TO FIRE YOU IN THIS CASE. CLAIM WORKER'S COMP AND GIVE THEM A TASE OF THEIR OWN MEDICINE!

Continue sleeping with your *Partners* and be prepared to face an OSHA Recordable

Risk Management

Former Employee - Safety in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Safety in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Oaky. Work was challenging. Could be better

Cons

Benefits could be seriously improved

Okay

ERM good reputation company is ending

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to meet good senior consultants despite the most untalented

Cons

Lack of technical skills of partners and directors, many of them without real knowledge of environmental issues

Administrative and support areas hinder the technical work than help

High rate of replacement of senior consultants

lack of independence of technical environmental assessments. partners negotiate assessments with customers

Weak leadership, "Weed out the legacy employees who Constantly whine que Were things better before ERM" defended by a partner is a sign of ERM professionalism.

No place to build a career

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Office location - They are using the office location to attract talent who want to work in trendy downtown Austin. Downtown Austin is a great place to work, lots of walking distance lunch places and always special events going on that you can catch during lunch or after work etc. The open office concept they are going to is great, the offices are big open areas with a telemarketing or customer service call center atmosphere.

Cons

On the other hand once you gain more experience you will realize you are going nowhere. You are either a partner or a worker at ERM. When something goes right the partner takes credit. When something goes wrong its the project manager's fault. You're not allowed to do anything without the partner's approval which is inefficient particularly since they are nonresponsive. They are making a lot of money off the staff and they are ruthless in pushing for higher billability - and you have to find your own work. The staff turnover is high and their business model is ok with that. They plan on you being around for a few years and moving on so that's why they are constantly recruiting. This is no place to build a career. Its just a job for a little while.

This a white collar sweatshop run by an unethical group of partners. They lied about advancement opportunities to get me in the door. Then they dumped a sinking project in my lap that already had significant budget and schedule problems and held me accountable for it in order to protect the partner and his buddy who had run the project into the ground before I was involved. Also, in many years in this field this is the first time that a supervisor tried to coerce me into taking an unethical track to benefit a client. ERM used to be a place that would roll up its sleeves and get the job done but now it is a risk-averse corporation loaded with bureaucracy and "CYA" procedures that keep you from getting anything done and it thrives on smooth and flashy but empty words.

They use salesforce.com religiously as a platform to track clients and marketing efforts and project wins but they don't give licenses to everybody so those with a salesforce license are at an advantage.

no thanks.

Health and safety issues are a constant jeopardy

Current Employee - Geologist in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Geologist in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

During 2y experience in ERM Brazil I could work with key clients.

Cons

My beyond the awful work environment, having as responsible for the code of conduct and human rights a professional who harasses morally more employees than any other is a shame for a company of global recognition.
    This is a huge problem that causes widespread dissatisfaction, generates high turnover of senior consultants and worsens the weak sense of team

The place is falling apart

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company loves to tout it's "people oriented" focus. It's also considered a growing company although it has handled it's growth incredibly poorly

Cons

This is a pressure cooker environment that you do not want to come to work for. The growth has led them to hire outside for about 90% of their leadership positions and they simply do not promote from within. There is no room for advancement and the current leadership pool is of the short term variety that comes in, siphons off what profits and perks they can and then bails out before things go wrong. They've been doing that for a few years now and it's gutted the company of any long term talent. Turnover is astronomical and management likes to capture meaningless buzzwords like "One ERM" and beat everybody over the head with them till we're sick of it. The truth is, our counterparts around the world are treated and compensated very differently and "One ERM" rings very hollow. The growth has caused them to become incredibly centralized with the power concentrated in England. The English tend to be very arrogant and treat the Americas and other divisions with disdain. Local decision making and creativity has completely evaporated and London orders everyone around like children now.

Ditch the current centralized train of thought. You've abandoned the principles that got you to this point and indeed - fired many of the people who got you here. I'm not sure anything can save this company at this point in time - I think it's probably too late by now.

Those who sleep with their "Partners" get more billable hours for their Night-time Job.

Pros

No pros at all. Pathetic company to work for.

Cons

Several. The seniors have several billable hours in the budget, but assign the entire project with very minimal "billable" hours to the junior consultants and claim the rest for themselves for their selfish reasons (to maintain billability and a good reputation for themselves without actually working on the project).

THE BUDGET SHEET SHOULD BE MANDATORILY SHARED WITH ALL CONSULANTS WHO WORK ON THE PROJECT. AND STOP CHEATING YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

I understand the high turnover rate

Current Employee - Staff Geologist
    Current Employee - Staff Geologist

Pros

Good vacation even if you're starting out new. Never had trouble getting some time off or rearranging a day to go to an appointment (i.e. dentist). Benefits are good and pay is decent if a little under what industry should be if you have more education. My coworkers in the field were always easy to work with.

Cons

NO BILLABLE WORK! I was hired for a position that had at most 25 hrs of billable work each week with a few exceptions (doesn't exactly fit the description of "full time"). I am continually told to ask for work within the office and always hear the same answer: nothing this week or nothing you can help with. Then I am continually sent emails chastizing me for my terrible billability. There are only so many times every week I can volunteer to do literally any billable work and be told I'm out of luck. The few things that I get to do are not related to what I was hired for. It is incredibly discouraging to want to work, be willing to put in the time and effort, and be unable to do so. I am looking for a new job elsewhere as soon as I can. I'm even willing to take a pay cut if it means I can find a job that will allow me to work.

If you want to have work at ERM, get into auditing or compliance or be the only field position in your office.

On a final note, I fail to see the point ot annual reviews if no incentive is given to work harder or better each year. Give me all 1s or all 5s and I'll still be given the mandatory 1-2% raise, at best. More senior level managers who are plainly awful at their jobs seem to enjoy overtime and bonuses regardless of their shoddy work and lost contracts.

Stop hiring people if you have no work for them. Then stop blaming them for the situation you put them in. Stop rewarding terrible/poor work, no matter who it comes from.

Hard to believe in a global recognition

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

some senior consultants really do a great job despite the mismanagement, bureaucracy and no administrative support

Cons

My 5 years experience ERM Brazil was definitely very enlightening!

I can not understand the criteria for partner selection: all of them with little or no knowledge about environmental issues and poor leadership.

The unique partner ability that I was could identify was mismanagement.

Rare senior consultants know what they are doing in the midst of so much bureaucracy and mismanagement.

No administrative area features professional work. It is total improvisation all the time. Health and safety is a big scam. Work environment is hostile and hysterical, far from being competitive, and stimulated by partners.

Hard to believe that ERM claims to have a global recognition when I see the same problems in other ERM offices in other countries.

I believe that ERM partners do not hear any advice