Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros:
  • "Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects"
    in 11 reviews
  • "well known company in legal and oil and gas industries"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The place is falling apart

ProsThe company loves to tout it's "people oriented" focus. It's also considered a growing company although it has handled it's growth incredibly poorly

ConsThis is a pressure cooker environment that you do not want to come to work for. The growth has led them to hire outside for about 90% of their leadership positions and they simply do not promote from within. There is no room for advancement and the current leadership pool is of the short term variety that comes in, siphons off what profits and perks they can and then bails out before things go wrong. They've been doing that for a few years now and it's gutted the company of any long term talent. Turnover is astronomical and management likes to capture meaningless buzzwords like "One ERM" and beat everybody over the head with them till we're sick of it. The truth is, our counterparts around the world are treated and compensated very differently and "One ERM" rings very hollow. The growth has caused them to become incredibly centralized with the power concentrated in England. The English tend to be very arrogant and treat the Americas and other divisions with disdain. Local decision making and creativity has completely evaporated and London orders everyone around like children now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the current centralized train of thought. You've abandoned the principles that got you to this point and indeed - fired many of the people who got you here. I'm not sure anything can save this company at this point in time - I think it's probably too late by now.

Was an excellent place to work before ERM bought out OASIS Environmental.

ProsClose-knit office, good place to gain great amount of experience.

ConsERM took over and got rid of smaller contracts. Mass exodus of employees made the office experience less rewarding and fulfilling professionally. Hired too many upper management personnel to help win large contracts, but actually lost a great deal of work. Management couldn't keep employees busy with 40 hours/week, so started asking people to begin taking personnel time off. Not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have never sold out to ERM.

Some interesting project work... Below average pay, no/little career development support for more junior consultants...

Risk Consultant II (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsSometimes bring in interesting projects
    Employees range from (a few) talented individuals to incompetent
    Varied experiences, alot of inconsistency across regions, offices...etc.- for me some positives some of my colleagues had much worse experiences others were better off
    Some good people.. for consultants with less than 10 years it is a good place to get foot in the door and be thrown in the deep end to learn on your own but not a place to stay or progress

ConsSalary is way below industry/competitors
    Poor leadership, alot of mismanagement
    Alot of politics especially partner level (this affects every one further down the chain)
    Attempt to show that there is a flat structure when in fact it is overly bureaucratic
    Alot of inconsistencies re-promotions, salaries, allocation of project work...The company does not have consistent processes and systems across offices. Attempts to correct this seem to make things worse rather than better!
    Generally overrated and does not live up to its 'aims/ambitions' (e.g. The world’s leading sustainability consultancy or more specific to me: top global risk consultancy...etc.)
    Management claim the increased rates are because ERM is as good as the market's best (e.g. for tech safety/risk: DNV) or better than it's competitors, which is fundamentally untrue...

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to realise what the market are paying in terms of salaries and close the gap (or at least try!)
    Need to get some consistency across offices/regions (at least start with getting conistency across Business Units in the same country!)
    Improve management of projects and project work allocation
    Be more honest and transparent with Junior and mid-level consultants

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, but zero incentive and poor salary

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Pros- The people (party due to the inevitable Stockholm syndrome)
    - Great projects
    - Varied role

Cons- Poor pay
    - Poor prospects
    - Micromanagement
    - Bureaucracy
    - Blame culture
    - No actual love for the environment - all about the bottom line
    - Outdated
    - Zero inegrity
    - A tendency for management to put their fingers in their ears and sing whenever you raise concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people, not projects that go against the environmental statement you supposedly adhere to. Otherwise, your sub-standard consultancy will hire more and more sub-par people as the talent leaves for companies with integrity. Find your soul again ERM.

Internship

Intern (Former Employee)
    Seoul (South Korea)

Pros-Great brand name within industry
    -Very talented people to work with
    -Interesting and challenging work

Cons-Pay isn't great
    -Zero training
    -Billable hours mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on training your juniors more

Those who sleep with their "Partners" get more billable hours for their Night-time Job.

ProsNo pros at all. Pathetic company to work for.

ConsSeveral. The seniors have several billable hours in the budget, but assign the entire project with very minimal "billable" hours to the junior consultants and claim the rest for themselves for their selfish reasons (to maintain billability and a good reputation for themselves without actually working on the project).

Advice to Senior ManagementTHE BUDGET SHEET SHOULD BE MANDATORILY SHARED WITH ALL CONSULANTS WHO WORK ON THE PROJECT. AND STOP CHEATING YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

I understand the high turnover rate

Staff Geologist (Current Employee)

ProsGood vacation even if you're starting out new. Never had trouble getting some time off or rearranging a day to go to an appointment (i.e. dentist). Benefits are good and pay is decent if a little under what industry should be if you have more education. My coworkers in the field were always easy to work with.

ConsNO BILLABLE WORK! I was hired for a position that had at most 25 hrs of billable work each week with a few exceptions (doesn't exactly fit the description of "full time"). I am continually told to ask for work within the office and always hear the same answer: nothing this week or nothing you can help with. Then I am continually sent emails chastizing me for my terrible billability. There are only so many times every week I can volunteer to do literally any billable work and be told I'm out of luck. The few things that I get to do are not related to what I was hired for. It is incredibly discouraging to want to work, be willing to put in the time and effort, and be unable to do so. I am looking for a new job elsewhere as soon as I can. I'm even willing to take a pay cut if it means I can find a job that will allow me to work.

If you want to have work at ERM, get into auditing or compliance or be the only field position in your office.

On a final note, I fail to see the point ot annual reviews if no incentive is given to work harder or better each year. Give me all 1s or all 5s and I'll still be given the mandatory 1-2% raise, at best. More senior level managers who are plainly awful at their jobs seem to enjoy overtime and bonuses regardless of their shoddy work and lost contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people if you have no work for them. Then stop blaming them for the situation you put them in. Stop rewarding terrible/poor work, no matter who it comes from.

Strategic focus sometimes got in the way of project work (gotta collect those bills and focus on key sectors)!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood atmosphere to work in and support by the local partners. Most of the staff (especially senior) were good mentors and willing to help out. Challenging work and lots of opportunities to grow.

ConsSalary is just average. Technical ability appears to be less important than selling ability. Company regions are not consistent with bonus pool or pay causing some resentment. Would have liked less pushing on bill collection by technical staff.

Great people, great projects, can be overly bureaucratic

Consultant Level II (Current Employee)

ProsERM employs some great people and this really makes the place. Most of the partners are very friendly and the company as a whole can be very supportive (they certainly were for me, however I've heard differently from other people).
    I've had the opportunity to work on some really fascinating projects and get a lot of client facing time despite my junior level (contrary to what some other reviews suggest).
    If you put the effort into "selling" yourself within the company and pushing for opportunities to work on different things it's a really great place to work, however people who are less forward seem to have had a much worse experience.

ConsMassive bureaucracy at upper levels can make doing anything difficult.
    Some senior partners are just old boys who seem to do little more than keep their seat warm (however others are really good and hopefully symptomatic of a "new breed"). Internal politics can be a nightmare with each partner effectively sitting on their own personal fiefdom - some partners make everything easy but others seem deliberately obstructive.
    Pay rises are paltry and you'll quickly find your salary is waaaaaaaaaay below industry standard and you have to fight hard to get anything like a fair paycheck. If you don't have support from one or more partners then forget it.
    Getting a promotion can be tough unless you have a partner on your side to fight your case.
    Company does not have consistent process and systems across regions. Attempts to correct this seem to make things worse rather than better.
    Chargeout rates are much higher than competitors, which given the lower salaries is a bit of an irritant. Management claim the increased rates are because ERM is better than it's competitors, which is fundamentally untrue because there are plenty of excellent consultants working at other consultancies (that's not to say that ERM is worse than its competitors of course).

Great people, reasonable opportunities, OK pay.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is starting to melt its regional differences and develop a coherent culture. The people in general are really nice to work with and there are challenging opportunities if you seek them out.

ConsPay is comparable to other similar firms but if you're in this industry you know it's not the best. Bonuses are not that good. Promotions become more difficult as you move up as the company has a relatively flat structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to demand high billability and quality product, try to reward employees more. Concentrate on making training relevant for each person who must attend.

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Environmental Resources Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Environmental Resources Management CEO John Alexander. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by Environmental Resources Management employees.