Environmental Resources Management

Updated December 17, 2014
2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 12 reviews)

• Great People, Get to learn a lot of things from very experienced people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 9 reviews)

• Low awareness of local environmental laws, labor laws and standards of health and safety (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Was an excellent place to work before ERM bought out OASIS Environmental.

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Close-knit office, good place to gain great amount of experience.

Cons

ERM took over and got rid of smaller contracts. Mass exodus of employees made the office experience less rewarding and fulfilling professionally. Hired too many upper management personnel to help win large contracts, but actually lost a great deal of work. Management couldn't keep employees busy with 40 hours/week, so started asking people to begin taking personnel time off. Not good.

Should have never sold out to ERM.

The place is falling apart

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company loves to tout it's "people oriented" focus. It's also considered a growing company although it has handled it's growth incredibly poorly

Cons

This is a pressure cooker environment that you do not want to come to work for. The growth has led them to hire outside for about 90% of their leadership positions and they simply do not promote from within. There is no room for advancement and the current leadership pool is of the short term variety that comes in, siphons off what profits and perks they can and then bails out before things go wrong. They've been doing that for a few years now and it's gutted the company of any long term talent. Turnover is astronomical and management likes to capture meaningless buzzwords like "One ERM" and beat everybody over the head with them till we're sick of it. The truth is, our counterparts around the world are treated and compensated very differently and "One ERM" rings very hollow. The growth has caused them to become incredibly centralized with the power concentrated in England. The English tend to be very arrogant and treat the Americas and other divisions with disdain. Local decision making and creativity has completely evaporated and London orders everyone around like children now.

Ditch the current centralized train of thought. You've abandoned the principles that got you to this point and indeed - fired many of the people who got you here. I'm not sure anything can save this company at this point in time - I think it's probably too late by now.

Great people, reasonable opportunities, OK pay.

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

The company is starting to melt its regional differences and develop a coherent culture. The people in general are really nice to work with and there are challenging opportunities if you seek them out.

Cons

Pay is comparable to other similar firms but if you're in this industry you know it's not the best. Bonuses are not that good. Promotions become more difficult as you move up as the company has a relatively flat structure.

If you're going to demand high billability and quality product, try to reward employees more. Concentrate on making training relevant for each person who must attend.

Those who sleep with their "Partners" get more billable hours for their Night-time Job.

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros at all. Pathetic company to work for.

Cons

Several. The seniors have several billable hours in the budget, but assign the entire project with very minimal "billable" hours to the junior consultants and claim the rest for themselves for their selfish reasons (to maintain billability and a good reputation for themselves without actually working on the project).

THE BUDGET SHEET SHOULD BE MANDATORILY SHARED WITH ALL CONSULANTS WHO WORK ON THE PROJECT. AND STOP CHEATING YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

Strategic focus sometimes got in the way of project work (gotta collect those bills and focus on key sectors)!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Good atmosphere to work in and support by the local partners. Most of the staff (especially senior) were good mentors and willing to help out. Challenging work and lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Salary is just average. Technical ability appears to be less important than selling ability. Company regions are not consistent with bonus pool or pay causing some resentment. Would have liked less pushing on bill collection by technical staff.

I understand the high turnover rate

Current Employee - Staff Geologist
    Current Employee - Staff Geologist

Pros

Good vacation even if you're starting out new. Never had trouble getting some time off or rearranging a day to go to an appointment (i.e. dentist). Benefits are good and pay is decent if a little under what industry should be if you have more education. My coworkers in the field were always easy to work with.

Cons

NO BILLABLE WORK! I was hired for a position that had at most 25 hrs of billable work each week with a few exceptions (doesn't exactly fit the description of "full time"). I am continually told to ask for work within the office and always hear the same answer: nothing this week or nothing you can help with. Then I am continually sent emails chastizing me for my terrible billability. There are only so many times every week I can volunteer to do literally any billable work and be told I'm out of luck. The few things that I get to do are not related to what I was hired for. It is incredibly discouraging to want to work, be willing to put in the time and effort, and be unable to do so. I am looking for a new job elsewhere as soon as I can. I'm even willing to take a pay cut if it means I can find a job that will allow me to work.

If you want to have work at ERM, get into auditing or compliance or be the only field position in your office.

On a final note, I fail to see the point ot annual reviews if no incentive is given to work harder or better each year. Give me all 1s or all 5s and I'll still be given the mandatory 1-2% raise, at best. More senior level managers who are plainly awful at their jobs seem to enjoy overtime and bonuses regardless of their shoddy work and lost contracts.

Stop hiring people if you have no work for them. Then stop blaming them for the situation you put them in. Stop rewarding terrible/poor work, no matter who it comes from.

EHS Commodity Sellers

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large size clients. International presence. Some (rare) very highly skilled talent

Cons

- Claim to be on the sustainability track = All talk, no nationwide growth strategy, little results. Most senior hires did not last a year before leaving... Huge road blocks internally
    - Commodity EHS provider with a squeeze on human resource and very high billable rates.
    - Career growth is pathetic, have not learned a thing in 7 years.
    - Salaries are miserable and annual bonus are a joke. Expect to get a flat 1-2% per year and a $500 annual bonus if your manager are not promoting your case (12 hours work days efforts for 12 months!)
    - Revolving doors at many offices due to poor leadership...

Vision to become a Billion dollar company is blurring top management. Exploiting people is a good thing but need to give back one way or the other... I have not encountered such bitterness to my other 3 former FT500 employers as much as with ERM...

A Company with Growing Pains

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

- In more renovated offices, a great working environment.
    - In general, great people with good attitudes.
    - Ability to work on many interesting projects.
    - As a result, gain many valuable skills quickly.
    - Corporate is pushing collaboration between offices, countries. Opportunity to work in many locations and with people on a global scale.
    - Relatively flexible working hours and locations (from home, from other offices if traveling) if you have the right manager and working group.

Cons

- Compensation is very low for the type of company this is. Management claims they perform benchmarking and ERM is on par with competitors, which may be true in the environmental engineering and testing realm. However, as the company grows and performs more management consulting functions their competitors in this realm are at a much higher scale, and employees therefore expect more.

- Very low vacation time.
    - Very few USA holidays given to employees. Many bank holidays or government/school holidays are not observed. Problematic for those with kids, but excused as on those days employees typically choose to work from home.
    - Typical consulting stress/problems related to billable hours goals.
    - Jack-of-all-trades need can get a bit trying. If you're a scientist who is great at science and projects but terrible at selling work, you will not fare well.
    - Collaborating with other regions can sometimes be difficult and there may be infighting, as a remnant of the company previously being franchised. Management is trying to discourage this, but it is sometimes still present.

Improve compensation, continue work encouraging collaboration, re-evaluate vacation time, re-evaluate billable goals and billing rates.

ERM has many challenging and interesting opportunities for the right person.

Current Employee - Program Director in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Management provides support and encouragement and is willing to take risks.

Cons

You need to be a workaholic

Recognize the people need to have a home life too.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexible schedule and great place to work. Full of fun with great people

Cons

Compensation should reflect on industry standard

Keep up the good work