Environmental Resources Management

Updated September 29, 2014
2.9

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 12 reviews)

• Great People, Get to learn a lot of things from very experienced people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 9 reviews)

• Low awareness of local environmental laws, labor laws and standards of health and safety (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Those who sleep with their "Partners" get more billable hours for their Night-time Job.

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros at all. Pathetic company to work for.

Cons

Several. The seniors have several billable hours in the budget, but assign the entire project with very minimal "billable" hours to the junior consultants and claim the rest for themselves for their selfish reasons (to maintain billability and a good reputation for themselves without actually working on the project).

THE BUDGET SHEET SHOULD BE MANDATORILY SHARED WITH ALL CONSULANTS WHO WORK ON THE PROJECT. AND STOP CHEATING YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.

I understand the high turnover rate

Current Employee - Staff Geologist
    Current Employee - Staff Geologist

Pros

Good vacation even if you're starting out new. Never had trouble getting some time off or rearranging a day to go to an appointment (i.e. dentist). Benefits are good and pay is decent if a little under what industry should be if you have more education. My coworkers in the field were always easy to work with.

Cons

NO BILLABLE WORK! I was hired for a position that had at most 25 hrs of billable work each week with a few exceptions (doesn't exactly fit the description of "full time"). I am continually told to ask for work within the office and always hear the same answer: nothing this week or nothing you can help with. Then I am continually sent emails chastizing me for my terrible billability. There are only so many times every week I can volunteer to do literally any billable work and be told I'm out of luck. The few things that I get to do are not related to what I was hired for. It is incredibly discouraging to want to work, be willing to put in the time and effort, and be unable to do so. I am looking for a new job elsewhere as soon as I can. I'm even willing to take a pay cut if it means I can find a job that will allow me to work.

If you want to have work at ERM, get into auditing or compliance or be the only field position in your office.

On a final note, I fail to see the point ot annual reviews if no incentive is given to work harder or better each year. Give me all 1s or all 5s and I'll still be given the mandatory 1-2% raise, at best. More senior level managers who are plainly awful at their jobs seem to enjoy overtime and bonuses regardless of their shoddy work and lost contracts.

Stop hiring people if you have no work for them. Then stop blaming them for the situation you put them in. Stop rewarding terrible/poor work, no matter who it comes from.

EHS Commodity Sellers

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large size clients. International presence. Some (rare) very highly skilled talent

Cons

- Claim to be on the sustainability track = All talk, no nationwide growth strategy, little results. Most senior hires did not last a year before leaving... Huge road blocks internally
    - Commodity EHS provider with a squeeze on human resource and very high billable rates.
    - Career growth is pathetic, have not learned a thing in 7 years.
    - Salaries are miserable and annual bonus are a joke. Expect to get a flat 1-2% per year and a $500 annual bonus if your manager are not promoting your case (12 hours work days efforts for 12 months!)
    - Revolving doors at many offices due to poor leadership...

Vision to become a Billion dollar company is blurring top management. Exploiting people is a good thing but need to give back one way or the other... I have not encountered such bitterness to my other 3 former FT500 employers as much as with ERM...

A Company with Growing Pains

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

- In more renovated offices, a great working environment.
    - In general, great people with good attitudes.
    - Ability to work on many interesting projects.
    - As a result, gain many valuable skills quickly.
    - Corporate is pushing collaboration between offices, countries. Opportunity to work in many locations and with people on a global scale.
    - Relatively flexible working hours and locations (from home, from other offices if traveling) if you have the right manager and working group.

Cons

- Compensation is very low for the type of company this is. Management claims they perform benchmarking and ERM is on par with competitors, which may be true in the environmental engineering and testing realm. However, as the company grows and performs more management consulting functions their competitors in this realm are at a much higher scale, and employees therefore expect more.

- Very low vacation time.
    - Very few USA holidays given to employees. Many bank holidays or government/school holidays are not observed. Problematic for those with kids, but excused as on those days employees typically choose to work from home.
    - Typical consulting stress/problems related to billable hours goals.
    - Jack-of-all-trades need can get a bit trying. If you're a scientist who is great at science and projects but terrible at selling work, you will not fare well.
    - Collaborating with other regions can sometimes be difficult and there may be infighting, as a remnant of the company previously being franchised. Management is trying to discourage this, but it is sometimes still present.

Improve compensation, continue work encouraging collaboration, re-evaluate vacation time, re-evaluate billable goals and billing rates.

ERM has many challenging and interesting opportunities for the right person.

Current Employee - Program Director in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Management provides support and encouragement and is willing to take risks.

Cons

You need to be a workaholic

Recognize the people need to have a home life too.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexible schedule and great place to work. Full of fun with great people

Cons

Compensation should reflect on industry standard

Keep up the good work

Use your talent!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ERM is a powerhouse, especially in Oil and Gas. They have a lot of very talented consultants worldwide and really know how to help clients solve challenging problems even in remote regions. I worked on some of the most interesting projects.

Cons

The focus is always on the partners. The consultants are treated like cattle that can be used only for the benefit of the company. Little support is provided in training to make consultants better, and the pay is definitely far below the industry standard.

Learn from MacDonald's; your most important resources are those that face the client every day. Take care of the consultants, and they will help grow ERM into a multi-billion dollar company!

truth

Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management part-time

Pros

great environment. Wealth of resources for those that know there way around

Cons

difficulty getting time with upper level management.

continue to develop entry level positions

Great people and interesting projects, but senior management is a bit out of touch.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Annapolis, MD

Pros

There are great opportunities to consult for a variety of industries across the globe, while working with a truly interdisciplinary group of professionals who like what they do. Technical skills in the company are top-notch, and most mid-level managers care about their colleagues and subordinates and try to help everyone advance. Time off is very flexible, and the company does still retain some of the entrepreneurial spirit that it once had--if you can identify, market, and win work, you will be recognized, rewarded, and sometimes supported.

Cons

The company that has turned its great technical assets into good financial performance, weathering the Great Recession with a minimum of layoffs and other belt-tightening. However, that success does not seem to flow down to the rank-and-file. Salaries are decidedly mediocre for the industry, health care is very expensive (ERM uses a carrier that a lot of doctors seem to increasingly hate), and the company is terribly stingy with necessary and intelligent expenditures on things like IT, supplies, and training.

This situation (and the absence of clear communication to the contrary) leads employees to the widespread assumption that the most senior partners take the lion's share of the profits for themselves, leaving a small pot to be invested in or divided amongst the employees who do the actual work.

We love the projects and most of the people around us. However, management's unwillingness to distribute profits in a more equitable manner, to keep our health care costs down, or at the very least to explain in concrete, detailed terms why such things aren't happening, is leading to increasing dissatisfaction. In a "talent-constrained" industry, ERM is taking actions that guarantee it will lose some of its most talented staff. We don't need corporate pep-talks, we need to share in the company's success, in a meaningful--yes, monetary--way.

The potential is there, but the old heirarchy keeps them stuck in the mud.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Lots of excellent opportunities to meet smart, interesting people. Work on many different kinds of projects for high profile companies. Insight into many different industries.

Cons

Entry level pay is very low, and bonuses & raises are highly dependent on the performance of other people. Little room for growth, because they prefer to hire people into the company, as opposed to promoting from within. "Sustainability" mantra is only visible on the company signature, not in actions.

Value your employees more. We're more than just hours you can sell, and would like to be treated as such. If you really want to be "the world's number 1 sustainability consultancy", stop catering to oil, gas, and mining, and allow your employees to innovate.