Environmental Resources Management

Updated August 18, 2014

2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

You get out exactly what you put in!

Current Employee - Sustainability Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sustainability Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is an amazing place for people of all levels who show initiative and take ownership of their work and careers. Their are no glass ceilings based on degree or experience - it is entirely merit-based, with boundless opportunities for rapid growth. The organization is results oriented; I am evaluated based on what I achieve, but have a great degree of flexibility and autonomy in how I generate results.

Cons

The environment is fast-paced; ERM works on the most challenging projects in the consulting industry as a trusted advisor to major clients. People who want to do the bare minimum to scrape by will be valued for their contribution, but will be disappointed if they expect major increases in salary, bonuses, or responsibility by just doing the minimum. If you want atypical results, you need to distinguish yourself - this is not a place for 'B' players.

The local management in Austin is incredible - completely in touch with the staff in the office, focused on team building, and dedicated to personal and professional growth. The senior management at the global level (which, to their credit, spends time with the employees in offices around the world) could be better about communication to stakeholders within the entire company. Even so, based on their peer group, they are a big cut above the rest.

Company filled with opportunities and really smart people.

Current Employee - Senior Project Scientist (Project II)  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Scientist (Project II) in Austin, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Within the two years that I have been with the company, I have had the opportunity to grow in areas that I already had some experience, but more importantly, I have had opportunities to try new things outside my primary practice area.

I have also been fortunate to receive a number of training and networking opportunities which makes work more meaningful and enjoyable.

Cons

You are expected to be highly utilized (which can be trying at times, but that also means you are rarely bored at work).

Completely Unexciting

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Ability to pretty much set you're own hours.

Cons

Far too many to list.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Partners, not anyone else

Pros

Allowed to work at home

Cons

Managers with half the experience of the people they are managing. Partners are treated with respect, no one else is. Everyone works hard on projects but only Partners are financially rewarded. Zero work life balance.

Reward everyone who works hard, not just partners. There should be more work/life balance. Most of the managers seem inept at managing staff with less experience than those they "manage".

ERM - Longevity

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Good benefits including excellent 401K match, medical/dental insurance and great work hours.

Cons

Promotions are only given to those that match themselves with a partner. If you are not matched up with a partner you will be overlooked.

Change the promoting potential for employees.

Interesting

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Growth opportunities, great educational experiences, fantastic people

Cons

Confusing performance management system, metrics change quickly, performance heavily weighted toward regional performance versus individual

A company with a vision for success and strong strategic focus

Pros

People are encouraged and measured on collaboration. Good leadership that is adaptable and focused on growth. The people are diverse, smart, and hardworking.

Cons

Processes and behaviours are not consistent across the company. Can be reactive when it comes to implementing processes, although this seems to be changing.

Continue to invest in your people. Continue to encourage and provide pathways for collaboration. Provide better defined paths for career development. Allow for better work-life balance.

You Can Do Better Elsewhere

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some job flexibility. Some of the people were nice. If you're young and perceived to be an up and comer you can learn some good skills.

Cons

I worked in an evolving process risk group. 3 or 4 out of 27+ knew what they were doing. The rest were mostly young folks with no operating experience working on projects they knew nothing about. l almost felt guilty billing customers.

If you're a seasoned professional expect to learn nothing new; no training or opportunity to learn anything. A few chosen young folks put on the fast track learn some new stuff, but no one else.

Expectation is that you will work overtime. My job called for 98% billability with a 30 min. staff meeting each day that was part of the calculation - you do the math. Incentive bonus was removed for this year because "too many projects ran over budget".

If the above was just my experience I'd take my lumps and be quiet, but many in my former group would echo my sentiments. Many good people have left after I did. As it was I left and have no regrets - had a wonderful new job that paid 30% more in 6 weeks.

Terrible place to work, but typical of consulting companies.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can think of none. The partner I reported to was consistently late or did not show up to appointments with me, did nothing to further my career, and actively prevented me from finding work.

Cons

Lack of Advancement Opportunities, Politics, Organizational Structure, Lack of Recognition to junior staff.

It would be in your best interest to value intelligent, hard working entry-level employees. Recognition through better pay, promotion, and other non-monetary perks would certainly go a long way. If you treat staff as if they're disposable, do not be surprised when they find another job.

Growth? For Partners and shareholder

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offices worldwide. Some very talented/ experienced consultants.

Cons

Poor people management at most locations. Wages are low. Bonus are borderline insulting since so low... Complete lack of cohesion in "performance and assurance" group. Sustainability practice is a joke... "Collaboration" is now key to the strategy (2009) due to destructive efforts offices had put up (Opco competition - your P/L vs theirs)... IT structure was amazingly dated in 2007 (Still using Lotus Notes - WOW!).... Limited infrastructure regarding basic HR support/ knowledge management/ marketing... Bill, bill, bill! Claim to be a global consultancy, yet, a vast majority of tools/ approaches are locally developed

You want to be the next "largest Sustainability consultancy". Look around regarding how you groom/ retain your staff! Let's start with the basics : Salary, promotions, bonuses.... EHS is a small world and word is in the streets

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!