Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Company filled with opportunities and really smart people.

Senior Project Scientist (Project II) (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWithin the two years that I have been with the company, I have had the opportunity to grow in areas that I already had some experience, but more importantly, I have had opportunities to try new things outside my primary practice area.

I have also been fortunate to receive a number of training and networking opportunities which makes work more meaningful and enjoyable.

ConsYou are expected to be highly utilized (which can be trying at times, but that also means you are rarely bored at work).

Completely Unexciting

ProsAbility to pretty much set you're own hours.

ConsFar too many to list.

Great for Partners, not anyone else

ProsAllowed to work at home

ConsManagers with half the experience of the people they are managing. Partners are treated with respect, no one else is. Everyone works hard on projects but only Partners are financially rewarded. Zero work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward everyone who works hard, not just partners. There should be more work/life balance. Most of the managers seem inept at managing staff with less experience than those they "manage".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ERM - Longevity

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits including excellent 401K match, medical/dental insurance and great work hours.

ConsPromotions are only given to those that match themselves with a partner. If you are not matched up with a partner you will be overlooked.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the promoting potential for employees.

Interesting

ProsGrowth opportunities, great educational experiences, fantastic people

ConsConfusing performance management system, metrics change quickly, performance heavily weighted toward regional performance versus individual

A company with a vision for success and strong strategic focus

ProsPeople are encouraged and measured on collaboration. Good leadership that is adaptable and focused on growth. The people are diverse, smart, and hardworking.

ConsProcesses and behaviours are not consistent across the company. Can be reactive when it comes to implementing processes, although this seems to be changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your people. Continue to encourage and provide pathways for collaboration. Provide better defined paths for career development. Allow for better work-life balance.

You Can Do Better Elsewhere

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome job flexibility. Some of the people were nice. If you're young and perceived to be an up and comer you can learn some good skills.

ConsI worked in an evolving process risk group. 3 or 4 out of 27+ knew what they were doing. The rest were mostly young folks with no operating experience working on projects they knew nothing about. l almost felt guilty billing customers.

If you're a seasoned professional expect to learn nothing new; no training or opportunity to learn anything. A few chosen young folks put on the fast track learn some new stuff, but no one else.

Expectation is that you will work overtime. My job called for 98% billability with a 30 min. staff meeting each day that was part of the calculation - you do the math. Incentive bonus was removed for this year because "too many projects ran over budget".

If the above was just my experience I'd take my lumps and be quiet, but many in my former group would echo my sentiments. Many good people have left after I did. As it was I left and have no regrets - had a wonderful new job that paid 30% more in 6 weeks.

Terrible place to work, but typical of consulting companies.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI can think of none. The partner I reported to was consistently late or did not show up to appointments with me, did nothing to further my career, and actively prevented me from finding work.

ConsLack of Advancement Opportunities, Politics, Organizational Structure, Lack of Recognition to junior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be in your best interest to value intelligent, hard working entry-level employees. Recognition through better pay, promotion, and other non-monetary perks would certainly go a long way. If you treat staff as if they're disposable, do not be surprised when they find another job.

Growth? For Partners and shareholder

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsOffices worldwide. Some very talented/ experienced consultants.

ConsPoor people management at most locations. Wages are low. Bonus are borderline insulting since so low... Complete lack of cohesion in "performance and assurance" group. Sustainability practice is a joke... "Collaboration" is now key to the strategy (2009) due to destructive efforts offices had put up (Opco competition - your P/L vs theirs)... IT structure was amazingly dated in 2007 (Still using Lotus Notes - WOW!).... Limited infrastructure regarding basic HR support/ knowledge management/ marketing... Bill, bill, bill! Claim to be a global consultancy, yet, a vast majority of tools/ approaches are locally developed

Advice to Senior ManagementYou want to be the next "largest Sustainability consultancy". Look around regarding how you groom/ retain your staff! Let's start with the basics : Salary, promotions, bonuses.... EHS is a small world and word is in the streets

Great projects and people, positive growth and promotions, average pay

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLots of interesting variety as an engineer. Many interseting projects working with experienced people right out of school. Lots of neat travel opportunities in the contaminated site management practice area. Company is on a strong growth track.

ConsAverage pay. Must have the ability to multi-task and switch gears very fast between projects and teams. Jobs require a lot of "business" tasks that might be handled by non-technical staff in other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease junior salaries. It was justified to keep them average during the recession, but not now.

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!