Environmental Resources Management

Updated September 11, 2014
2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible place to work, but typical of consulting companies.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can think of none. The partner I reported to was consistently late or did not show up to appointments with me, did nothing to further my career, and actively prevented me from finding work.

Cons

Lack of Advancement Opportunities, Politics, Organizational Structure, Lack of Recognition to junior staff.

It would be in your best interest to value intelligent, hard working entry-level employees. Recognition through better pay, promotion, and other non-monetary perks would certainly go a long way. If you treat staff as if they're disposable, do not be surprised when they find another job.

Growth? For Partners and shareholder

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offices worldwide. Some very talented/ experienced consultants.

Cons

Poor people management at most locations. Wages are low. Bonus are borderline insulting since so low... Complete lack of cohesion in "performance and assurance" group. Sustainability practice is a joke... "Collaboration" is now key to the strategy (2009) due to destructive efforts offices had put up (Opco competition - your P/L vs theirs)... IT structure was amazingly dated in 2007 (Still using Lotus Notes - WOW!).... Limited infrastructure regarding basic HR support/ knowledge management/ marketing... Bill, bill, bill! Claim to be a global consultancy, yet, a vast majority of tools/ approaches are locally developed

You want to be the next "largest Sustainability consultancy". Look around regarding how you groom/ retain your staff! Let's start with the basics : Salary, promotions, bonuses.... EHS is a small world and word is in the streets

Great projects and people, positive growth and promotions, average pay

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of interesting variety as an engineer. Many interseting projects working with experienced people right out of school. Lots of neat travel opportunities in the contaminated site management practice area. Company is on a strong growth track.

Cons

Average pay. Must have the ability to multi-task and switch gears very fast between projects and teams. Jobs require a lot of "business" tasks that might be handled by non-technical staff in other companies.

Increase junior salaries. It was justified to keep them average during the recession, but not now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Engineer

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Partners do care about professional growth of the staff on their team, and would organize team building activities frequently. The company also often organize events to foster team spirits.

Cons

Each region of the firm operates more independently, therefore, not all offices function the same way. Some are not as friendly as others.

Not a great company to be in.

Current Employee - Consultant Level I  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant Level I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the advantages of working at ERM is the ability to gain project experience quickly and add valuable experiences to one's resume.

Cons

The main disadvantage in my view is the low compensation ERM offers for the type of work. Projects can be demanding and require specialized knowledge which is simply not being compensated. Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers. ERM also does a poor job tracking its internal talent and is not uncommon to have talented staff unutilized and not being actively match to project internally. That is because ERM still operates as a network of independent offices, rather than ONE company (despite for years they have been trying to instill that culture).

Nice people to work with

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Very nice group of people overall.

Cons

Partners get bonuses for work, others don't

Everyone who contributes to the success of the company should be rewarded, not just the partners

Well organized and positive environment

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good reputation within the Oil and Gas industry.

Cons

So far so good. No problems yet.

Keep the global scope and vision.

Fast-pace, high demand, friendly work environment with lots of international opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Scientist  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Boston, MA

Pros

Best part of ERM is the strive for international, capital intensive projects. This allows exposure to different industries and projects internationally. The main sectors are Oil and Gas, Power, Mining and Manufacturing and Chemical.

Cons

Can be stressful and time intensive. Salaries are not great until you reach partner (then they are great). Low junior level staff retention. High senior level staff retention

Pay Junior level staff more and offer better career tracks to increase Junior staff retention.

Awesome company - a lot of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Adoption of the Sustainability strategy has changed the company. The ERM Foundation and numerous Green Teams allow us the opportunity to apply our talents to help communities. Recent investments in employees, like the Emerging Leades program, is awesome. This is a group of talented and committed professionals. A lot of opportunity, both career progresson and financial; however, each individual has to take ownership and drive it.

Cons

The company is not for everyone. It is a very high performing group and those that aren't as committed and passionate can feel left out as they don't receive the same rewards and recognition. There have been a lot of programs (that are good and needed) announced but the delays in implementation and lack of communication can get frustrating.

Better communication on the status of all the new programs. Don't introduce new programs unless we are able to implement them. Continue to progress the Sustainability strategy.

ERM: Challenging environment, interesting projects, takes care of its people, great for ADHD-me!

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Exton, PA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting, and sometimes BIG projects to work on here, and plenty of variety across industry sectors and consulting practices. Access to experts in all fields, flat organizational structure on all levels except the top top, and even there, the people feel like coworkers. Clear emphasis on people and community, including ERM Foundation which raises and allocates funds to worthy organizations and even affords consultants "pro-bono time" to give organizations a leg up!

Cons

Consulting can be tough sometimes. You have to stay billable while keeping up with training and other time requirements.

Keep up the focus on people--it pays!

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!