Environmental Resources Management

Updated December 17, 2014
2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 12 reviews)

• Great People, Get to learn a lot of things from very experienced people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 9 reviews)

• Low awareness of local environmental laws, labor laws and standards of health and safety (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for Partners, not anyone else

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Allowed to work at home

Cons

Managers with half the experience of the people they are managing. Partners are treated with respect, no one else is. Everyone works hard on projects but only Partners are financially rewarded. Zero work life balance.

Reward everyone who works hard, not just partners. There should be more work/life balance. Most of the managers seem inept at managing staff with less experience than those they "manage".

ERM - Longevity

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Good benefits including excellent 401K match, medical/dental insurance and great work hours.

Cons

Promotions are only given to those that match themselves with a partner. If you are not matched up with a partner you will be overlooked.

Change the promoting potential for employees.

Interesting

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

Growth opportunities, great educational experiences, fantastic people

Cons

Confusing performance management system, metrics change quickly, performance heavily weighted toward regional performance versus individual

A company with a vision for success and strong strategic focus

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are encouraged and measured on collaboration. Good leadership that is adaptable and focused on growth. The people are diverse, smart, and hardworking.

Cons

Processes and behaviours are not consistent across the company. Can be reactive when it comes to implementing processes, although this seems to be changing.

Continue to invest in your people. Continue to encourage and provide pathways for collaboration. Provide better defined paths for career development. Allow for better work-life balance.

You Can Do Better Elsewhere

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some job flexibility. Some of the people were nice. If you're young and perceived to be an up and comer you can learn some good skills.

Cons

I worked in an evolving process risk group. 3 or 4 out of 27+ knew what they were doing. The rest were mostly young folks with no operating experience working on projects they knew nothing about. l almost felt guilty billing customers.

If you're a seasoned professional expect to learn nothing new; no training or opportunity to learn anything. A few chosen young folks put on the fast track learn some new stuff, but no one else.

Expectation is that you will work overtime. My job called for 98% billability with a 30 min. staff meeting each day that was part of the calculation - you do the math. Incentive bonus was removed for this year because "too many projects ran over budget".

If the above was just my experience I'd take my lumps and be quiet, but many in my former group would echo my sentiments. Many good people have left after I did. As it was I left and have no regrets - had a wonderful new job that paid 30% more in 6 weeks.

Terrible place to work, but typical of consulting companies.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can think of none. The partner I reported to was consistently late or did not show up to appointments with me, did nothing to further my career, and actively prevented me from finding work.

Cons

Lack of Advancement Opportunities, Politics, Organizational Structure, Lack of Recognition to junior staff.

It would be in your best interest to value intelligent, hard working entry-level employees. Recognition through better pay, promotion, and other non-monetary perks would certainly go a long way. If you treat staff as if they're disposable, do not be surprised when they find another job.

Growth? For Partners and shareholder

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offices worldwide. Some very talented/ experienced consultants.

Cons

Poor people management at most locations. Wages are low. Bonus are borderline insulting since so low... Complete lack of cohesion in "performance and assurance" group. Sustainability practice is a joke... "Collaboration" is now key to the strategy (2009) due to destructive efforts offices had put up (Opco competition - your P/L vs theirs)... IT structure was amazingly dated in 2007 (Still using Lotus Notes - WOW!).... Limited infrastructure regarding basic HR support/ knowledge management/ marketing... Bill, bill, bill! Claim to be a global consultancy, yet, a vast majority of tools/ approaches are locally developed

You want to be the next "largest Sustainability consultancy". Look around regarding how you groom/ retain your staff! Let's start with the basics : Salary, promotions, bonuses.... EHS is a small world and word is in the streets

Great projects and people, positive growth and promotions, average pay

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting variety as an engineer. Many interseting projects working with experienced people right out of school. Lots of neat travel opportunities in the contaminated site management practice area. Company is on a strong growth track.

Cons

Average pay. Must have the ability to multi-task and switch gears very fast between projects and teams. Jobs require a lot of "business" tasks that might be handled by non-technical staff in other companies.

Increase junior salaries. It was justified to keep them average during the recession, but not now.

Project Engineer

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Partners do care about professional growth of the staff on their team, and would organize team building activities frequently. The company also often organize events to foster team spirits.

Cons

Each region of the firm operates more independently, therefore, not all offices function the same way. Some are not as friendly as others.

Not a great company to be in.

Current Employee - Consultant Level I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant Level I in Houston, TX

Pros

Some of the advantages of working at ERM is the ability to gain project experience quickly and add valuable experiences to one's resume.

Cons

The main disadvantage in my view is the low compensation ERM offers for the type of work. Projects can be demanding and require specialized knowledge which is simply not being compensated. Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers. ERM also does a poor job tracking its internal talent and is not uncommon to have talented staff unutilized and not being actively match to project internally. That is because ERM still operates as a network of independent offices, rather than ONE company (despite for years they have been trying to instill that culture).