Environmental Services

Updated September 10, 2014
3.2

Sarah S. Robinson

Great work environment

I worked at Environmental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management Easy to work for.

Cons

Working with others is not easy.

Better communication

Sr. Management cannot be trusted to help your career - Meet goals or you are gone!

Current Employee - Wetland Scientist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Wetland Scientist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Environmental Services

Pros

Decent-sized office is good for local opportunities. The jr. staff are helpful at training you in how to be a better consultant. Some really decent folks, and we have a after-work opportunities.

Cons

I've been told that the Corporate office (remote to this office) has the ultimate say in almost every decision... the management here do not support the staff, I've seen good folks come into the company and be escorted out when they pull back the Wizard of Oz veil and see that a family owned and run business only breeds favoritism.

Someone else said that it is a "Boys" company and coming from the north I am shocked and dismayed to agree.... Women aren't treated the same as men, nor is the pay comparable.

If you do work for this company, hope that you are in the Corporate office... all other offices are treated as 2nd-class.

I left the firm briefly and returned hoping somethings would change... they unfortunately haven't. I'm polishing my resume and 'looking' every day....

Listen to staff, sometimes they may be right..... communication of the good should also be presented with the bad... Be aware that the inequity within the firm (salary, bonuses, allowances for errors for the Sr. Mgmt) will one day be an issue....

Nepotism and 'Good ole boy' workplace not for a professional scientist or developing a career

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Environmental Services

Pros

Smaller offices (5-20) are close-knit and have the entrepeneurial feeling

Cons

If you are not in JAX or RAL, you better keep your resume current and polished. Two main offices with numerous small satellites constantly fighting over the scraps of projects. Unless you are a man who likes fishing, and can tolerate the 'good ole boys' you will have no long-term future at this husband-wife owned company.

Small pockets in S. FL have great female leadership, but the remainder of the company has to tolerate blatant favoritism of 3-4 select male managers, as well as the ego-stroking that Sr. Mgmt often demands.

Pay less attention to outside vendors trying to sell you lectures on "better/friendlier management styles" and focus on growing professionals that need the mentoring of seasoned managment, not canned presentations.

Listen to employees that are not in the JAX office, there are smart people within the company that do not have a voice.