Environmental Stoneworks

1.9

Chuck Stein

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Environmental Stoneworks full-time

Pros

ESW is a great place to work. They trust my knowledge in my profession and are starting to really invest in their people. They push for innovation and listen to what the "guys on the ground" have to say!

Cons

you have to wait for 1 year of service to enroll in the 401k. Once you can enroll, ESW matches!

Continue to invest in your people.

Not recommended for anyone

I worked at Environmental Stoneworks

Pros

In the Denver Tech Center.

Cons

Executive Level staff is unethical in their behavior toward employees. Expectation is long hours (think 60 to 70+) with minimal to no compensation for those long hours. Performance Reviews are arbitrary at best, with goals that are subjective and unrealistic. Bonus structure is based on this rating system and is used as a negotiation tactic for prospective employees to accept a lower salary. Executive Level staff has been known to spend tens of thousands of dollars on "leadership retreats," engaging in very unprofessional behavior while on said retreats.

Executive Level staff tends to turn a blind eye towards unethical and abusive behavior for those they put into "management" positions, and when asked to intervene, tend to avoid said situations. I was in one meeting where a tenured employee lied about another employee's behavior...and there was no reprimand or public apology for that employees behavior.

Final story: I was out of the office in New York (personal matter) on Monday and Tuesday, and I was let go on a Thursday. They accused me of "something" on the aforementioned Monday; I was out of the state. Ethical? No.

Follow and believe in the core values you claim to have for the company. Stop having the "warehouse" mentality and start acting like professionals.

Don't waist your time you can make more money flipping burgers

Former Employee - Plant Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Plant Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Environmental Stoneworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can tell me even one I'd like to hear it

Cons

When you give it more than 100% they still don't appreciate you

Stand up for what you think is right and fight for valued employees

If you want to have a work/life balance, this job is not for you.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Environmental Stoneworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting work. Every job is a little different.

Cons

Out of touch management, understaffed, mediocre pay and benefits, unrealistic workloads.

Understand that constant turnover and employee burnout is no way to run a business. More time, energy, and money is wasted on recruiting new people to replace the burn outs. That money could be better spent on running the business more efficiently.

Worst Company That I ever Worked for, EVER!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Environmental Stoneworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a pay check and that's about it.

Cons

long hours every week, never enough to get a head. The problem is management. They do not listen or care about their employees. They are all talk! Don't take a job with this company, you will be just wasting your time and getting screamed at for low numbers. All smart and good employees leave because of management. I have seen management make employees cry over their jobs. I could go on and on with specific issues but it would change a thing.

Get out of the way, listen to your employees. Do what is right for a change.

None of the good employees stick around...wonder why?????

I worked at Environmental Stoneworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would consider the benefits marginal (until you discover the sacrifices that must be made). There was a LOT to learn within my position but, once again, I felt I had to give my soul to the devil to learn it. In the end, I didn't find the sacrifices to be worth any of it.

Cons

Where to begin - the hours are outrageous! The company was always understaffed and the staff that was there was expected to make up the difference. However, management would not consider adding any positions to cover the deficit so, instead, the employees ended up working 55+ hours most of the time. Upper management has devoted their ENTIRE LIVES to this company like they are brain surgeons...it is just STONE people!!!! Upper management was oblivious to anything happening within the company, especially the unhappy "grunts" that were working below them. Between the mood swings of management, you never knew "who" to expect so it was easier to remain quiet and make do with what you had. Finally, when I got tired of "making do" and actually spoke up I was told (within the rumor mill of course because nobody says anything to you directly) that the entire department had a "victim mentality." Once you turn in your resignation you are told to avoid the management because they are angry with you so you cannot even walk to the other end of the building:( Grow up and run a company like it should be run - but I am not sure that management is capable of this feat.

ADVICE TO OWNERS - Get new management! The staff turnover is outrageous and the staff you have managed to keep thus far is so low in morale that everyone is performing under the necessary expectations.

Sad, miserable, dysfunctional

Former Employee - Controller in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Controller in Denver, CO

I worked at Environmental Stoneworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the benefits, the pay is average but you can get all of these things at any other company without living with all of the stress

Cons

This place has some serious problems. I just left the company after being constantly abused and verbally bashed by my manager who is at the executive level of the company. I worked a zillion hours and it still wasn't good enough. This is a common problem at the entire company. They believe you have to work constantly to be considered a marginal employee. I think I'll need therapy to recover from working at this place from the burn-out and PTSD I feel like I'm suffering. When I tried to tell the CEO of the company why I was leaving when I quit, it was quickly dismissed and I overheard him on the phone telling the CFO that it didn't matter because I was an underperformer anyway. All of that after I worked myself to death for that place.

There's nothing to do. They are the problem and they'll never see it.

This is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Installations/Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Installations/Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Environmental Stoneworks

Pros

Great support from upper management. Good benefits and compensation.

Cons

The only thing I can think of was that the driving was too much sometimes.

I have no bad feedback. I loved working for this company

Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Prefer Anonymous in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Prefer Anonymous in Denver, CO

I have been working at Environmental Stoneworks

Pros

The benefits are decent as far as health insurance costs but they are very light on vacation time, sick time, flexibility etc.

Cons

I am posting this in hopes that someone might see it and think twice about working here particularly if you have a family and/or value your work/life balance. The organization is dysfunctional with a lot of yelling and screaming going on. Lots of hours are worked and still it's never good enough. It's mentally and emotionally challenging.

Management IS the problem. The lack of professionalism and respect for people with families is a serious issue. Everyone at this company is going to bail as soon as the economy turns around and they find other jobs.

Do NOT work here!

I worked at Environmental Stoneworks

Pros

Pay was ok except when you factor in the amount of hours you work. I probably made less per hour than I did fresh out of high school without a college degree!

Cons

Where do I begin? There is absolutely no opportunity for growth or advancement, although in your interview they will tell you there is. Don't believe a word of what you are told in the interview - it is all lies! There is no recognition for good work, hard work or the willingness to put in the time to get the work done. Instead, you are judged for speaking your mind and disagreeing with management. Because of this, if you don't want to get fired, you must walk on egg shells and keep your mouth shut. Although, no one in management really has the balls to fire anyone, they will just complain about you to everyone who will listen, meanwhile, never speaking to you about the issue. you will also be worked to death, working way too many hours for your pay. And if you ever bring up the issues that you are having with the company to a manager you are told you have a "victim mentality", interesting. The list goes on and on, in short, do NOT work at this company, you will regret it.

No advice to management; they are all incompetent. Advice to owners - get rid of management (starting with corporate); clean house and start new.