Epes Transport

Not yet rated.

Britt Colley

Good people to work for

OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsHome every weekend; decent miles; average pay

ConsFilthy equiptment. Unable to have truck washed but once a month-ONLY if you happen to be passing thru greensboro yard on the day mobile wash is there. I've gone 3 months without a wash before.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore truck wash options. Better driver facilities at main teminal in G'boro

Ask a lot of questions to OTR drivers before you hire on. About 10% of drivers make it through orientation!

OTR Driver (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

Pros* Generally a good benefits package.
    * There are some really good driver managers who care about their drivers.
    * Good tractors with upgrades being made on trailers to be all air-ride.
    * Drivers are typically preplanned on loads, so they can make plans on stopping.
    * No problems with getting a lumper for unloading purposes.
    *Chester terminal is large and fairly well maintained.
    *I was NEVER hassled to get up when I was tired and wanted to sleep in. Although I didn't abuse the privilege, there were times I could get rested and leave when I needed to, so long as I made on-time pickup and delivery.
    *Qualcomm communications made getting load assignments, directions, and payroll information very easy.

Cons*No opportunities for advancement. You haul loads. That's the nuts and bolts view.
    *"Favorites" on load assignments. I wanted to run some "tall"miles but had no success.
    *A LOT of short loads, 150-250 miles that didn't pay anything extra.
    *No extra pay for hazardous materials and high dollar loads.
    *Management liked to do surveys but then continued doing what they had always done without ever really listening to the drivers; why bother?
    *This company really needs to get APUs (auxiliary power units) for their trucks to minimize idle time.
    *Truck washes, uniforms and safety shoes were done away with about 2-2.5 years ago as a cost-cutting measure. While I understand that, filthy trucks decrease fuel mileage and make the company look cheap and tawdry.
    *Greensboro driver facilities were the pits! Drivers got the "leftovers" and we were supposed to be happy with them? I don't think so.
    *SLOW Greensboro shop facilities. It could take a full day to get a simple PM done; never mind having major work done in a timely manner.
    *"Open Door"? To the best of my knowledge, I never saw mid- and upper-management in the drivers' side of the yard, but I could be wrong on this point. Drivers were limited as to where they could go. The driver managers would rarely let you through the door where they worked. This is more than likely a security issue, so I may be too hard on that, but it did stink at times!
    *Everything had to go through your driver manager. They're overworked already.
    *Exceptionally heavy loads at times could be a bear to weigh and make legal. Customers either need to be informed of weight issues and requested to adjust accordingly or the company just needs to look for more customers.
    *There were times I sat overnight waiting for a load, but the company didn't want to use some load boards that had good loads available.
    *Home Every Weekend? The company can no longer guarantee that. Of course, if one lives in Greensboro, there's never a problem to get home every weekend!
    * Beware of thinking you have a job when you come into orientation. About 10% of the drivers that come to orientation actually get hired. The company needs to do a much better job screening its applicants in advance, rather than paying for a hotel room for 3-4 nights, DOT physical, only to disqualify them with no explanation, up to and including the very last day! That's rather dishonest, if you want my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd be wasting my time to put any sort of comment that management hasn't already read or heard about through their "surveys". I think they prefer to bury their heads in the sand and think that everything is just fine. Drivers with significant amounts of driving time are just getting fed up and leaving the company. Of course they need fresh meat to replace the drivers that are leaving and can pay them a lower CPM. Nice job guys!

Worked for Epes Transport? Contribute to the Community!