Epic Games

www.epicgames.com

Epic Games Reviews

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney

Tim Sweeney

The best game development studio to work for in the industry

Senior Technical Writer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe people are amazing to work with - there is a real family atmosphere and everyone is the best at what they do, the facilities are amazing, the benefits are great, you get to be a part of innovating in a highly competitive field

ConsThe location is not as glamorous as some other studios and advancement is limited in some areas

AMAZING

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was the best job i ever had in my life.
    So much to do and so much to learn

Consnot any downsides that i can think of at all

A constantly challenging and rewarding environment that fosters professional growth & autonomy

Artist (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsHiring standards ensure that all of your co-workers are at the top of the industry. Environment is always challenging. Very generous benefits. Management is relatively flat, giving great opportunity for driven people to excel and learn many new skills. Upper management is incredibly transparent.

ConsSometimes its stressful to make games. You might have to do the work of two or three people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees concerns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job I've ever had

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsIncredibly supportive, forward-thinking management. There's a strong appreciation for employee satisfaction - they hire the best and treat them accordingly.

ConsTransitional periods are challenging and the future is uncertain. The company is in the midst of a significant transformation, which inevitably leads to some concern among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue keeping costs down while spending where appropriate, continue being fearless and pragmatic in the face of uncertainty.

Very smart people working very hard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsI haven't been here too long but I've loved it so far. I'm continually impressed by my fellow employees and the teamwork that exists here. The culture is one of hard work and going above and beyond in all aspects, which works well when everyone is ascribing to that ethos. Management is very involved and very knowledgeable with a very clear vision.

ConsI haven't had many cons yet. Very long hours, even outside of crunch. While it's not mandated you work more than 40 hours, the minimum I see people working is 50 to 60. So there's social pressure to stay longer. But then the workplace is very fun so it doesn't feel like a 50 hour week either..

Fast and loose, employees are king

Senior Programmer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThere are very few obstacles to getting work done at Epic. Anyone can put in the effort and kick ass at their job. The company is run very smartly, and puts a lot of thought into staying lean and effective in the industry.
    We have amazing benefits and amenities too, enough to make you wonder how other companies can be so boneheaded. This ranges from great health plan and 401k, to free lunches and stocked kitchen, to simple things like not having to fight for basics like a swingline stapler, a decent mouse, or a $50 piece of software that helps you do your job.
    Cary, NC is, surprisingly, a great place to live. It looks like Hicksville, BFE on the map, but it's actually a technology mecca full of yankees, close to the beach, the mountains, and everything else the east coast has to offer.

ConsIf you need a lot of structure to get work done, Epic may not be the place for you. We're trying variations on Agile, or at least going through the motions, but it's very fast and loose. Ultimately people just do whatever needs to be done.
    The downside to being pampered by Epic and working with the industry's best is that some days that means working with spoiled egotistical brats. Very few of Epic's employees realize how good they have it here.

Great company to work for.

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Cary, NC

Pros-Epic only hires the best and it shows through the products that are released.
    -Flexible hours and good pay.
    -Great benefits.
    -There's always somethign awesome to work on.
    -Treats QA very well.

Cons-Better skilled workers are sometimes left working on menial tasks instead of the things that they need or want to do.

Best company I've worked for

ProsThe offices are great, both in Seattle and in Cary. The perks are awesome. You get to work with some really brilliant people on interesting things.

ConsCommunication could be better, especially between offices. Supposedly crunch is an issue for some teams, though it has not been for me.

It is the best job I have ever had!

ProsThe people at Epic are amazing. They are incredibly talented and passionate about what they do. The management at Epic is constantly striving to make the culture and atmosphere at Epic a place that you want to come to work. The perks and benefits to the employees are the best I have ever seen for a company of this size.

ConsWorking at Epic can spoil you so that you become complacent about just how good it is.

An employer that truly cares about each employee and their family.

Technical Lead - QA (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe company is very aware of each employee and their happiness at work. Food and entertainment is supplied, as well as a full gym and quiet rooms. With the happiness of the employees of the utmost importance, they are able to attract the most talented people in the industry as well as keep their current employees at their best performance. During company meetings, there is a Q and A session, so all employees can ask the CEO anything (nothing is off limits). There are quarterly meetings with a random group of employees to get suggestions of what management can do to make Epic a better place. The company frequently organizes parties and events that are family friendly.

ConsThere is a bit of a hierarchy here, in spite of attempts to keep everything equal. The difference in pay between some jobs is quite (obviously) very large. There are some things the company is quick to spend money on (TVs, special events, etc), but some of their employees really miss out.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize the value of people that are a little "lower" on the totem pole. It's easier to promote from within than hire external! It would be good to have activities that force the different departments to interact with each other outside of work (the rally was a good example). Overall, there aren't a ton of complaints, I'm pretty happy here!

Worked for Epic Games? Contribute to the Community!