Epic Games Reviews

Reset
4.6
Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney
Tim Sweeney

Best place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Law Department Contracts Administrator in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Law Department Contracts Administrator in Cary, NC

Pros

Great benefits and perks - they value their employees and treat them with respect. Also, you are held accountable for your own work, which means everyone there strives to do his/her best.

Cons

In my opinion, there were no cons, except that there was no room for growth in my particular field. I was always treated as a member of the team, and I loved it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Feb 2, 2015 – Recruiting Analyst

Thank you for the feedback! We work hard to provide Epic employees with amazing benefits and are glad to hear you had a great experience here.

Great place to work, then Good, now average and getting worse.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food in the kitchen, plenty of fun things around the office, lax attire. The CEO has great plans and priorities for making customers happy.

Cons

They pay less than average because "It's Epic" No time to enjoy any of the pros because you're always in crunch, blatant cronyism in upper management under the new leadership since the old president left. They've hired too many people too fast, and now everyone is just another number, and its really harder to get your job done now. The execs under the CEO are exacting his plans to make customers happy at the expense of employee happiness. There are talks of bonuses, but they don't happen anymore.

Advice to Management

If you say you're going to listen to your employees, then actually listen and don't just lip service them.

Good company but a few bad apples

Former Employee - Artist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Artist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Epic Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Epic is a great place to work as there some very talented and passionate people there. They are a very family-oriented company and treat there employees to free lunches, activities etc.NC is a beautiful place to work and live, great for families. The UNREAL engine will always keep Epic well funded.

Cons

Under all the hype and good news about Epic there is a layer not to many people know of. Many people on the art side have been there for a long time and with the success and sale of the "Gears of War" Franchise to Microsoft the environment for creative artist has been dismal. Ask your self other then "Gears" and "UT" and the slow developing "Fortnight" what has the core team really produced in the last 10 years? Infinity Blade? was developed by EPIC'S subsidiary ChAIR . The old Art management team are stuck in there ways. Any new talent should be prepared to deal with big egos and management that has not really produced anything of quality since the "Gears" franchise. Many of there top talented artist left the company because of the art management team, some were fired for trying to bring creative vision and breathe new life into an art environment that has grown stale. Unfortunately there really isn't any opportunity for creative growth and expression if your not an art manager. The moral on the art team was at an all time low when I was there, I hope things have changed.

Advice to Management

Shake things up! bring in some creative Art oriented people that are flexible in their creative vision and collaboration, but also who know how to leverage and use artist to there strengths, and not punish them for being creative. Don't fire artist for being creative and thinking outside the box. Embrace more creative people and allow exploration. Creating games and art is not about one game be it "gears" "call of Duty" etc. With a studio so large and filled with such immense talent you could be cranking out more amazing games and visuals if you let people free their imagination. Upper Management should really look into changing or restructuring some of the creative leads. Really scrutinize what's really going in there, speak to the artist get there take without re-percussions. Get some visionaries in there from outside of the core team who created "Gears" you don't own "Gears' anymore so bring in new talent for a new franchise.

Epic is a growing company that has the spirit of a small startup.

Current Employee - Senior Engine Programmer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Engine Programmer in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are plenty of directions that you can go, internally. The people make this company the living organism that it is, and it shows. For a game dev, they focus on the person and family, which is massively different from the industry norm.

Cons

The company is always changing, and that adds a volatile feeling to some projects. When the company focused on one project, there was a stability with that direction. With as many new areas as they're getting into, it makes you wonder which projects will survive.

Advice to Management

Very well placed management, although the company has to grow in employees in certain areas.

Oct 28, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for the feedback! You're right, the people here are amazing. Epic truly wants what is best for their employees and families. Don't miss the Halloween festivities later this week! Have ... More

Epic is best game company to work at

I have been working at Epic Games full-time

Pros

Smart people work there. Management is honest and forthcoming. The quality of the work being done is extremely high. They always strive to do the right thing for customers and employees alike.

Cons

There are a lot of locations so a lot of coordination is required but Epic handles it at least as well as any spread-out company could.

Jul 23, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for your review! We are glad you are enjoying life at Epic. Your comments reminded me of how valuable our weekly company meetings are. It's great that all of our studios are able to come ... More

7. Amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing holds you back here. Leads allow for growth. The talent here is top notch yet most people are very humble. Benefits are great and they value the importance of having a balanced life. Great location, great place to raise a family, etc.

Cons

Epic continues to grow, so there may be some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communication and openness with your employees.

Jul 23, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for the review! Isn't it great how transparent management is with employees? There will always be some growing pains but if we remain focused on hiring exceptional people and making ... More

8. Great Company!

Current Employee - Administrative in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are awesome, benefits are great, and company has complete transparency to its employees. Great strategic plan and leadership is always available.

Cons

Tight knit family- so new hires take time to get involved....

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

Jul 23, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

I know it's a bit late but welcome to the Epic family! We do our best to facilitate fun events to help people feel like they are part of the studio and meet new people. For example we have our ... More

9. The best game development studio to work for in the industry

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing to work with - there is a real family atmosphere and everyone is the best at what they do, the facilities are amazing, the benefits are great, you get to be a part of innovating in a highly competitive field

Cons

The location is not as glamorous as some other studios and advancement is limited in some areas

An employer that truly cares about each employee and their family.

Current Employee - Technical Lead - QA in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Lead - QA in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very aware of each employee and their happiness at work. Food and entertainment is supplied, as well as a full gym and quiet rooms. With the happiness of the employees of the utmost importance, they are able to attract the most talented people in the industry as well as keep their current employees at their best performance. During company meetings, there is a Q and A session, so all employees can ask the CEO anything (nothing is off limits). There are quarterly meetings with a random group of employees to get suggestions of what management can do to make Epic a better place. The company frequently organizes parties and events that are family friendly.

Cons

There is a bit of a hierarchy here, in spite of attempts to keep everything equal. The difference in pay between some jobs is quite (obviously) very large. There are some things the company is quick to spend money on (TVs, special events, etc), but some of their employees really miss out.

Advice to Management

Realize the value of people that are a little "lower" on the totem pole. It's easier to promote from within than hire external! It would be good to have activities that force the different departments to interact with each other outside of work (the rally was a good example). Overall, there aren't a ton of complaints, I'm pretty happy here!

Best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership of the company genuinely care about the people here. Tim Sweeney is the best person you could possibly have running a company. Over the years, they have made many changes to ensure the best working environment for the people here. Better work/life balance, no core hours, lots of new Friday events, such as Epic Friday (work on anything that interests you, or that could improve your skills), Game On(twice a month, play games on Friday, eat pizza, drink beer!) and other cool events.

Cons

The only current downside would be the management structure at the game team level. Upper management is great, while management on individual game teams can be chaotic and unorganized.

Advice to Management

I would only advise more training of the producers to be able to better lead a team as well as you all lead the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed