Epic Systems Corporation

Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner

Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself(in 118 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments(in 78 reviews)

great place to start

Prosamazing work environment, great intelligent people

Conslong hours, unrealistic expectations at times

Advice to Senior Managementwork with your team members on work life balance and mentoring

It's a lot of work, with a lot of payout.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsThe benefits at Epic are outstanding. Plus it is good for self starters that don't need a lot of supervision and can get work done on their own.

ConsThe work-life balance can get out of control. With this, there are ups and downs and it's important to set rules and guidelines for yourself so you don't get burned out.

Great Salary and Benefits, But lack of transferrable skill sets to apply to other industries

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsGreat starting salary and benefits for recent college graduates
    Smart young workforce so working here in many ways can mimic an undergraduate type environment
    Beautiful campus, Great cafeteria, privates offices for workers, certification classes for employees

***On the surface Epic is a wonderful environment to work in. You are able to bond quickly and build meaningful relationships with young people going through the same college to real life transition that you are. In addition new project coordinators are given ownership of software implementation typically a few months in so you are able to get your feet wet as soon as you finish certification and other project management related coursework.

Cons**** The expectations HR sets when recruiting students from college campuses in many ways is misleading. First of all, the skills you gain from being a consultant at Epic are not going to be highly transferrable to any other type of job outside of Epic Software consulting.

****Extremely high turnover rate

**** Lack of diversity

**** The formal mentorship and module assignments (some theorized its based loosely on majors) are random. Its really up to you to create meaningful professional relationships with more seasoned employees and new hires. My mentor was absolutely useless as she was too busy working to be of much help or make herself available. Some mentors have been working at Epic only a few more months that their mentees in extreme cases.

I would caution any recent graduates considering working at Epic to really think long and hard about the careers they want to build for themselves, and the industry they see themselves ending up in. If you have a liberal arts background and you aren't completely sold on working at a midwestern software company for the next few years or being an independent software consultant. I would definitely not recommend taking this kind of job, don't be swayed by the the nice salary and benefits. It is far better to work your way up to the type of career you want to have in another industry than selling out this early in the game for a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere need to be some drastic improvements made to Epic's assigned mentorship programs. It seemed that many of the people assigned as mentors have little to no greater level of experience than their mentees.

Also HR should be more forthright about the day to day tasks associated with working at Epic. They seem to be purposely vague during the recruitment process. I didn't actually know what my work would entail and what the expectations would be until I began going through certification classes. Also there needs to be an increased focus on building diversity on campus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many people have made this a career

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsHigh levels of responsibility, challenging and rewarding work, great work environment, smart co-workers. Strategic direction is set to benefit patients and health care organizations, not investors.

ConsPeople who have worked hard in the past or are in control of their schedules will be fine - I feel balanced most of the time. People who have never worked or have expectations that someone else will manage their time/schedule might get frazzled.

3.5 years in, still love it!

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsCampus, food, fellow employees, structure of leadership, amazing location, benefits, pay rate.

ConsIt gets pretty cold here in the winter sometimes! Wish the parking garage was heated.

Pays well, but they don't value their employees

Software Developer (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsThey pay well and of course have good health insurance. There are a lot of young people (this can be a pro or a con, depending on what you're looking for), and the campus is beautiful. Many people have their own office or a single office mate.

ConsThere's an expectation that everyone is working really long hours and being continually overly busy. This leads to a closed-door culture (at least, in the building I work in), where you feel like you can't interact much with your coworkers because you're probably interrupting them. If you're in software, the two languages we most use are used almost nowhere outside of this company, so the skills don't transfer. There's a huge amount of (paid) training required, most of which is not useful outside the company, and which, in many cases does not actually prepare you for your job. There's very little support between people on the same team, so if you're looking to understand something (because you're new) or get walked through a workflow, it can be very difficult.

Despite their huge profits, they don't bother to have little daily benefits, such as snacks in the break rooms or subsidized lunch. It makes it seem like the employees are not really valued.

Also, many of the longer term benefits (401k matching, "shares" in the company, better vacation) don't kick in until you've been at the company for much longer than the average person stays.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that your employees are people. Expect that they will have lives outside of work, and make them feel appreciated while they are there. Try to foster a culture of collaboration instead of everyone isolated working on their own projects that happen to be in the same piece of the software.

Demanding but good compensation

Pros- Great compensation
    - Traveling lifestyle can be fun at first
    - Great experience right out of college

Cons- Work-life balance is terrible
    - Can easily become overstretched due to be staffed to too many projects

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

Overall, a good place for new grads

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsI rarely encounter unintelligent people, which makes it possible to a get a lot done. HR has high standards and it shows. Pay and benefits are pretty good, but nothing too special if you have business or technology degree. Epic will ask a lot of you, but you'll learn a ton about health care. I'm confident that many of the skills I've learned will apply well to future jobs, and if you've worked for Epic, many employers know that you work hard.
    As much as Epic can be a demanding and pushy company, it's a moral and honest company. I've worked for other technology companies, and I can say with certainty that Epic's primary motivator is NOT money. What other companies encourage customers not to install an application?! We look out for our customer over all else (including employees), which sets us apart from competition and is Epic's "special sauce" in my opinion.

Implementors get to travel a lot, which has been a blast! You have very little control over your travel schedule, though, so be prepared to be gone a lot.

ConsHonestly, the technology at the core of our software is pretty outdated, which will at some point become an issue for the company as a whole and probably already limits developer job opportunities post-Epic. I also wonder about the wisdom of spending so much on our campus when it's widely acknowledged that we're probably about to pass peak revenue.
    I don't have a lot of complaints about work-life balance - I think I missed the worst of this issue. As an implementor, you're going to work some long days and weeks. But, overall, I haven't found the workload to be overwhelming.
    Definitely not an "entrepreneurial" company like they sometimes advertise to potential employees. Sorry, you've been around since 1979 - Epic is not a startup, nor is it a small company. It's a large, established corporation - but one with a flatter structure and more flexibility than many companies of similar size.
    Two weeks of annual PTO could definitely be better, especially given how demanding working here can be.
    Madison is an okay place to live, but winters are horrible. If you're IS, you get to travel to some cool places which lessens this factor, but yeah...Madison is not

Advice to Senior ManagementStart stockpiling cash instead of building, and focus more on employee retention.

nice place to work at

Software Developer (Current Employee) Madison, WI

Prosyou can learn a lot about health care, I enjoy the everyday life doing development using internal tools like EpicStudio and EMC2, which makes code integration much easier.

Constechnical is outdated, I am using VB6 for client development, cache for server side coding.

I've developed a skill set that is highly applicable to many jobs, and grown fater here than I would have anywhere else.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsWork with very smart and ambitious people
    Exciting and challenging projects
    Change the way healthcare is managed/delivered
    Do something different every day
    Beautiful campus
    Great food
    Easy commute

ConsOften deal with difficult customer personalities while staying outwardly positive/upbeat
    Very low tolerance for mistakes, could pay for minor mistakes for a long time.
    Lots of travel
    Strong desire to keep the company feeling small results in a lack of structure and accountability, particularly with internal projects

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!