Epic Systems Corporation

Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner

Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself(in 118 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments(in 78 reviews)

Valuable experience, but poor work life balance.

Technical Services Engineer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsExcellent salary out of college, good professional experience, useful training and certification, smart and motivated employees, nice cafeteria.

ConsLots of red tape, poor work-life balance, lots of the technologies you learn are not used outside of epic.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of time and training is being invested in good employees who subsequently leave. Better work life balance and stronger incentives to stay during the crucial 1-3 year mark would result in a smaller but more competent work force.

software developer

Software Developer (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsVarious projects with various technology

ConsOnly focus in health care tech

Incredible opportunity if you go in with open eyes

Project Manager (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsEpic is a great place for motivated young professionals. If you are smart and willing to learn, work hard, and understand that you're working for a vendor in what ultimately amounts to customer service role, you will excel here and be well-compensated for it. Know coming in that this is not a 40-hour-a-week kind of place, but good outcomes are highly valued, and you'll get noticed if you're doing great work in a mature way. The work itself is meaningful, and the perks and benefits are solid.

We are decisive and aggressive in working out individuals who are not meeting expectations, which contributes to both a high-quality talent pool as well as some resentment among employees who weren't aware of their peers' performance problems.

ConsIt's a great first (or second) job, and I have learned a tremendous amount about both project and people management - however, it's not for everyone, and I can see how someone with a significant amount of corporate experience under their belt would struggle with many of Epic's more nebulous, small-company-style policies. Not the job for you if you're looking for set hours (i.e., a 9-5). You'll rise faster if you can put in a lot of time upfront; that said, it's still possible to balance a family with the PM role, and most team lead managers (middle/senior management) are married with kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're no longer a small company - policies should be clearer instead of ruled by "judgment", which can vary person to person. Example: overall, Epic is generous with giving you flexible time off when you need it, but many would prefer a clear-cut lump of PTO time, vs. trying to determine how much recovery/work-away time is appropriate per situation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent company that looks good on a resume

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFantastic work experience, community involvement, opportunity to work with very intelligent people and make many friends

ConsVery long work-hours and heavy work-place politics

Advice to Senior ManagementPutting 22 year olds in supervisory positions without proper oversight and controls leads to favoritism and petty politics.

3 years in Technical Services

Technical Services (Former Employee) Verona, WI

Pros-Lots of projects to work on.
    -Strong insurance plans.
    -Talented coworkers (crap HR filter process, basically look at people who had high grades or came from elite colleges, but it leads to a pretty elite subset)
    -Customer exposure to major healthcare organizations at a transformational time in the industry.
    -Big plus on a resume.
    -Campus is pretty.
    -Sabbatical sounded cool.

Cons-Everything has to be done in house, meaning a lot of redundancy that can be resolved if we simply hired experienced staff.
    -Too much young talent fresh out of college.
    -Too flat, management gives out subjective promotions and bonuses, results in difficultly in giving feedback to management (since they can bite back in your own bonuses).
    -Middle management are undertrained at management.
    -Averaged about 55 hrs/week for 3 years. Had a few 100+ hour weeks, a couple months averaging ~350+ hrs. Management response came two months after 8 horrible weeks, where they staffed an incompetent "helper" TS (new hire) that solved 1 additional issue in the 2 months he was supposed to help me.
    -Management gave few opportunities for growth. Growth is essentially on your own.
    -Poor HR Process, some serious duds that get a job here, some serious talent get ignored. Google abandoned the stupid logic puzzles a long time ago, so should Epic.
    -Campus is pretty but I would rather have management spend more to retain people.
    -Disconnect with upper management and employees. Always seem to be trying to hire more, never seem to be trying to retain talent.
    -Shortage of R&D staff. R&D seems to have a higher quality standard compared to IS and TS, though I would argue most mistakes made by IS and TS are due to stress.
    -Some more experienced QAers are very difficult to work with when they catch a "bug" that you know your code isn't doing (e.g. Clarity report testers). Other R&D developers are extremely difficult to catch to help in your code (e.g. Clarity developers).
    -Your success is highly dependent on what you can learn on the fly from your TL and mentor, and then what customers you get. If you get a new implementing customer, you are on a blank slate. If you get a customer from another person, they might have burned their bridges before that transition. Your customer can also give you enough bad feedback to get you fired. Some ex-Epic consultants working at customers sites have actively managed to do this to people, in an effort to get "more experienced" TS staffed.
    -Some customers are great and open to learning, others are woefully understaffed and incompetent. I had a customer that would not grow compared to other customers when doing hands on training and hands on issue resolution. Added about 10 hours of unneeded work/week, and no managing staff did anything about this after I raised the concern in every quarterly summary sent to the C-level execs/project directors of the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs one honest manager said to me: "Epic only keeps its promises to its customers, not to employees."

I ultimately left. Problems:

-Lack of workload balance, felt underpaid and underappreicated as a result. For what IS and TS do, we are severely under compensated.
    -Lack of management involvement in allowing me to be a Technical Coordinator.
    -Lack of control over personel issues at the customer site. We dance around giving IT a bad feedback at the customer site, but sometimes, THEY are the source of the problem by being inept at details.
    -Lack of management involvement after I asked to switch teams or roles (bored in as application TS after 1 year, wanted to switch to something more difficult).
    -Training certifications are useless for TS support.
    -I saw a few TLs and TCs get to their position by riding other people to the ground. A few times, the wrong people were fired. Very dissatisfied by company values, it is inconsistently applied.
    -IS staff are critical for TS success, but are essentially a revolving door. In my 3 years, I had to work closely with 12 IS staff. Only 3 remain at Epic. Most quit as soon as their last project is complete, the more vindictive quit as the project is in phase 4 (i.e. right before golive).

I enjoyed the dynamics of the work (project management, resolving issues, finding bugs, developing code fixes) however, the lack of promotions and growth in such a flat structure (and seeing my office mate, who has been here 6 years and is still doing the same stuff) made me hesitant to stay any longer.

Good experience but it is difficult to stay with Epic for too long

Software Developer (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsI have nice co-workers, the campus is beautiful, there is a nice food court on campus where lunch is made daily and is available pretty cheap, the pay is good, you can wear whatever you like, and you get an office instead of a cubicle (this can actually be a bit frustrating when you know someone can answer your question quickly but have to email them instead because they are in a different office).

ConsI often end up working long hours, the atmosphere - despite the casual dress code - feels like a high pressure environment, people tend to be stressed / overworked in general, and there is a LOT of process / lack of intimacy because it is such a large company.

Everything is available to make your experience great

Software Developer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsCompany culture - values hard work, everyone is trusted with responsibilities, common sense prevails
    Everyone has their own office or shares with one other person
    Pays very well
    Great food available for little cost

ConsYou have to adjust to driving your work forward independently - you are generally the only person responsible for getting your project to advance
    The quality of middle management is inconsistent, and if you have a hands-off team lead and/or mentor then you're going to feel lost and have to reach out for help

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow people to be team leads or mentors unless they are willing to invest their own time in other people's work. It can be destructive to motivation if your team lead is disorganized and can not spare time to care about your projects.

You will get out what you put in to your work.

Technical Services (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsLots of responsibility from the get go regardless of your position. Epic is ideal for people who are self motivated and like to try new things. The career paths at Epic are flexible so you can get involved in projects and leadership opportunities that fit your interests. The health benefits are the most affordable and highest quality that you will probably ever have in your life. If you work hard and generally perform well then you can expect consistent raises each year and end of year bonuses. Epic invests a ton of training into their employees so you can expect a lot of personal growth as you take classes to improve your knowledge of the software, the healthcare industry, time management, organization, leadership, and more. The culture of Epic is to do good, have fun, and make money where the emphasis is definitely placed higher on the first two.

ConsThere is always more to do than there is time to get it done in. This drives some people to consistently work long hours which burns them out and then they leave Epic after only a couple of years. I work 45 hour weeks and have still become a team lead, mentor, and project manager so you don't need to kill yourself at Epic to get ahead. The culture around leaving Epic is weird. The expectation is that you should stay at Epic forever.

Technical Writer: great salary, boring work

Technical Writer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsFor a job straight out of college with a journalism degree, this was a great opportunity. Compensation was good, starting over $40,000.00. Food/cafeteria is excellent, and a major plus. Campus is beautiful.

ConsBoring work. Technical writing about medical software is not a career in writing, it's a career in software development. Madison, Wisconsin is cold for out-of-staters and it's a small city.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd say, be up front about the work. It's not exciting. It's boring. People come in with high expectations and leave quickly because they realize there is not much glamor to the gig.

Great place to grow quickly and get experience, but expect to be worked hard

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsYoung, smart, hardworking co-workers
    Fun, challenging, high-level of responsibility comes quickly

ConsProject Managers travel way too much. After a year you'll be on the road 3/4 weeks, sometimes with stints as long as 5-6 weeks where you're only home on Fridays and weekends.
    You're expected to put in an extremely large amount of work if you want to move quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's professed values are often not in line with day-to-day happenings. There needs to be stronger oversight of Team Leads to make sure they are truly representing and behaving in line with the values of the company at large.

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!