Epic Systems Corporation

Updated January 25, 2015
3.6

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living (in 53 reviews)

• Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 136 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Great in Hindsight

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Specialist in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful, fun and smart people, who will end up being your friends, roommates, etc.
    - High degree of autonomy and responsibility for young professionals
    - Great pay that goes far in Madison
    - Low degree of management, so you have significant control of how and when you do your work
    - Strong values; focused on product & customer success; making money has followed

Cons

- Not a great culture of feedback; it's completely dependent on your managers if you get any at all
    - Very transient place & there's a bad culture of complaining about work and continuous talk of quitting
    - Project managers travel a lot and its a difficult work/life balance
    - Sales teams tend to over-promise and creates challenges for install team
    - Not great advancement options for PMs. Once a PM, always a PM with few new challenges

Give TL's more time dedicated to managing and helping their team members grow, find their paths at Epic, providing support. I recommend taking all customer responsibilities from TLs and making them CASO's and getting more involved in supporting customers & employers.

Still figuring it out...

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good coworkers, challenging

Cons

You feel replaceable, because you are

Allow employees to grow into new roles better

Good people, good food, lots of work

Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culinary staff are incredible; lunch is sold at cost and is always amazing. I just had a delicious shrimp dish for $4 the other day!
    Almost everyone I've met at Epic has been incredibly friendly and wonderful to work with, always willing to help me out.
    I personally agree with all of the company's goals and mantras, so it's easy for me to follow them (for example, keep commitments)
    I was able to start doing "real" work very quickly

Cons

After moving here, everyone I know is from Epic. Everywhere I go, I see Epic people.
    There's a pretty steep learning curve, and that can be challenging and frustrating
    I started doing "real" work very quickly and don't always feel like I have the necessary knowledge to do things well

Keep doing what you're doing. Epic's a great company and I'm very pleased to be working here.

Great job, if you make it one

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very independent - do what you think is best, push against the processes you don't like, make new ones. You have an incredible freedom to run your own ship. This is the best perk.

Pretty great salary for the first real job of a fresh college grad.

The campus is really neat. It feels like one of those silly perks that you wouldn't care about, but it does make a difference.

Getting the whole company together for staff meeting once a month is a great idea.

If you feel like moving on later, SQL is a hell of a lot more transferable than Cache.

Epic tries to match you to your strengths. I applied as a TS and they offered me BID out of the blue, which plays a lot better to my skill set. As a BID, I was strongly encouraged to transfer to a different team, refused because I didn't think I would like the work, and they allowed me to stay on my current team (which I quite like) without any repercussions.

Cons

It's a crap shoot how good a certain internal process or bit of documentation will be, and while Epic makes a big hullabaloo about being an integrated EMR, internally it's still got a lot of knowledge sharing problems and between-app redundancies.

BID's have it nicer than most other roles, so sometimes you feel pretty guilty talking to your peers.

The independence means you have to be the right kind of person for it. If you want to passively come in, work, clock out, this isn't the place for you. You're expected to use that freedom to accomplish a lot and to seek out opportunities without being told. If you want a lot of direction for your job, Epic's not the place for you.

The cowboy nature of the company has a dark side - there's a lot of variability for how good your TL/work/team will be. I strongly suspect this "get high performance for objective metrics, let everything else sort itself out" attitude is part of Epic's serious diversity problem.

Don't over-fetishize quantitative data and agency ratings - sometimes the most important things are more intangible.

Try to foster dev communication with TS/IS. Both sides have a lot of knowledge worth sharing with the others.

It's worth it if you know what you're in for

Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is great, and benefits are very good for the most part. The work itself is meaningful and interesting. The campus is fantastic, and those working there are very bright.

Cons

There's only 2 weeks of vacation, plus holidays on top of that. It's important to set limits for yourself; otherwise, they'll keep pushing you to take more onto your plate.

Keep working to improve (perceived or real) issues with the software. The customer support model is great and should continue as is. There is a high turnover rate; some of the issues Epic is facing right now could be helped by retaining more people.

fast-paced company where your work experience, growth and type of projects are based on your effort, merit and hours

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunities that would rarely be offered elsewhere to recent college grads. You can lead your own team of analysts, develop new processes, impact the software, and meet incredibly successful and interesting customers.
    Great team work community and support--if you ask for it. You need to be able to push yourself to learn, deal with ambiguity and recognize when you need to ask for help and support.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of the opportunities are based on your boss (team lead) and what he/she thinks of you. If you don't have a strong relationship with your TL and the other TLs in your application, it can hinder your growth and your opportunities to work on the projects you are interested in. Often times, you can be great at your customer work, but have low visibility internally which leads to less promotions.

A good all around company

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, lots of freedom of development, a lot of individual ownership

Cons

Sometimes can fairly stressful, I don't always agree with management

Wasn't planning on staying, but have loved it since day one

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of variety in work week-to-week, as well as freedom to pick up and put down responsibilities and chart my own course. Ownership of projects very early on. Oh, and of course the food!

Cons

Winter weather can be tiresome

Create more opportunities for non-project managers to spend more time on-site in clinics and hospitals

Fast-paced, independent work; YOU create your work/life balance

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+Benefits (health insurance, sabbaticals)
    +You control your work destiny. If you are engaged and open to learning something new on a regular basis, you'll fit right in
    +Your own office (or even a shared office) - no cubicles!
    +The food is amazing
    +Your peers really are the best of the best

Cons

-Vacation time; maxing out at 3 weeks and 6 sick days a year is a bummer, even with sabbaticals thrown in
    -Hours can be tough, but once you have tenure, it's a little easier to manage your work-life balance

Reasonably enjoyable if slightly dull. Compensation is acceptable.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

Expectations for interns are relatively low. Laid back work days.

Cons

The office is in Madison, Wisconsin

Training for interns could be made more relevant.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos