Epic Systems Corporation

Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner

Judith R. Faulkner

Pros:
  • "Great intern HR team, good pay, good living situation"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself"
    in 104 reviews
  • "A lot of the full-time developers do seem to have rather long hours"
    in 70 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

At Epic, you will work very hard, but you will be with amazing people and trying to make the world a better place.

Technical Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people you work with are amazing.
The work is interesting and is focused on doing good in the world.
The campus is awesome, with great food, private or two people offices, and awesome managers.
The pay is good. It may not seem great for the work at first, but if you do well you can get large raises (my second raise was nearly 30% - not to be expected but possible if you get very involved - and my other raises were very generous)

ConsYou will work hard. This is a company where they push you, and they'll keep giving you things until you feel like you're about to crack. There's too much to do for the number of people they have, so they'll try to get you do to as much as you can. With that said, it's not a problem to just say no. Many people don't realize that, but saying no to an opportunity is perfectly fine, and you should wait until the perfect opportunity arises and then jump on it. Don't be afraid to tell your manager you're overloaded. They can and should help, and if they don't, go to their manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of burning people out. There are a lot of really smart and really great people that leave Epic for jobs that don't require so much of their life.

Work hard, grow quickly, and gain some marketable soft-skills. Stay if the environment suits you, leave if it doesn't.

Implementation Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLimitless opportunities to own meaningful projects/work.
Substantial focus on corporate culture. Teaching it, preserving it, spreading it.
High levels of ownership and trust are conferred quickly to those who can handle it.
Salary is very competitive, particularly for high-performers.
You can count on colleagues to be completely reliable, overall. There are always some exceptions, but.
Flexible hours a.k.a. "just get the job done".

ConsSenior Project Managers are stretched thinly across the board, burnout remains high.
Managers (Team Leads) are often inexperienced at actually managing individuals, therefore many newer staff lack the necessary direction to productively shape a budding career (we hire a lot of folks directly out of college).

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease focus on talent retention, staff happiness, and career management for Implementation Services. Provide viable alternatives to permanent residence in Madison, and a clear path to obtaining those roles (other than threatening to quit).

Average place to work

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsYou (usually) get individual offices which is great. The campus is pretty good too (it really impresses the customers). Food in the cafeterias isn't bad either.

ConsWeather; it's really cold in the winter. The job is frustrating, which seems to be more of documentation stuff and less of programming. Some managers like setting unrealistic goals which can't be met unless you are willing to work overtime for which you probably won't get paid for.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your recruitment process. You say you recruit smart people. You just need average people to do get the job done.

Grind machine that promotes cult-like survivors

Implementation Consultant/Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsPay and benefits are excellent. If healthcare is your passion, you will also learn a ton about how the industry operates. Epic's reputation as a grind machine in the Madison area also means that former employees can find new jobs quickly, because they have proven they can work hard.

ConsManagement runs on "feedback", which means whatever your coworkers and occasionally customers (but usually your coworkers) say about you determines your growth in the company. Given that very few Epic employees had substantial careers anywhere else prior to Epic, and that the Epic burnout rate is high with employees rarely staying more than 5 years (or even 3), the feedback system has resulted in a management structure with very little diversity of thinking. Put simply, no one knows any better. So, you better tow the company line and kiss up. If a coworker is having a bad 18-hour work day and in their 1 year of work experience does not like an email you wrote, they might complain to your team lead, damaging your career as a consequence.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Implementation division should promote people who have shown wise judgment and critical thinking skills, not simply those people who survived the burnout by becoming cult members.

TS for over 6 years, still love it

Technical Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI feel like I am working with the best people to make a difference for patients around the world, and making the healthcare field better.

ConsEpic is struggling to balance the drastic growth it has seen and the need to maintain the small company feel. How can we fight complexity but still grow at this rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest. We always talk about the fact that we share the good and bad, however it still feels like there are many secrets out there.

Good people,

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people you work with are young, fun, helpful, and creative. You are compensated well. The customers you work with are generally great people that are fun to work with.

ConsA shortage of staff for technical roles leaves an overwhelming amount of work to be done. Retaining employees is hard for Epic because people burn out and are felt dispensable. The company has grown so much recently it is hard to feel like you have any equity in what you do, you feel more like a cog in a machine than a liberated professional.

Great company to work for

Implementation Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou are able to travel and see the world. Working environment is amazing and fun.

ConsAt times, you can work long days, and sometimes 60 hours in a week.

Please do NOT work here

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

ProsHigh salary for new graduates, good benefits, ability to stack up airline miles and hotel points, opportunity to make good money as a consultant after your non-compete if you are interested, intelligent coworkers

ConsI want to preface this section by letting you know that I am not a disgruntled employee who was let go. I put in my resignation after a few years at Epic and was given the opportunity to stay or boomerang back. When I saw the negative reviews of Epic as a senior in college, I ignored them because I thought they must have been written by employees who had been fired. This is not the case of this review.

1. No work-life balance - really. If you are IS, you will be traveling anywhere from 25 (highly unlikely) to 100% of the time, with an average of 75%. If you want to have friends or date, you might as well throw that out of the window because you will never be in Madison frequently enough to have either. If, on the off chance, you are in town, there is a very high chance that the people you want to spend time with are traveling. Also, your entire life outside of work will revolve around Epic - the people you hang out with, the people you meet, the people you live with. It's a bit of a joke that Epic employees find little other than Epic to talk about, even when they're not at work.

2. You are responsible for lying to your customers' faces as a representative of Epic. They are paying a high hourly rate for new IS to work on their project. However, training only covers a small percentage of the knowledge necessary for a successful install. You will be the one telling them if something is possible, the best way to modify the software to meet the needs of their clinical workflow, and resolving issues all while not knowing the actual answers. Sure, you'll have an AM, but chances are that these are individuals who have terrible management skills (see point 4) or who are too busy with their other customers to give you the time you need to know what you need to know. This is a very common complaint that I have heard from IS, new TS, trainers, and QA.

3. Poor preparation. The first two months at Epic will consist of classes that will teach you the most basic information about your role and software application. After you are certified (if you are lucky - many people get staffed within their first month at Epic), you will be thrown on to a customer with the expectation that you are an expert (again, see point 2). The training you receive will rarely cover what you are expected to know and share with a customer as an expert in the system (This may sound confusing. Let me give you an example. Let's say that you are a new AC for the Clinical Documentation application. Your customer reaches out and says they want to create Lab Smartlinks. They want to know how and which labs are commonly made into smartlinks. You probably don't know what Lab Smartlinks are as you read this right now, right? Well, you won't know what they are after your certified and are charging you customer up the ass to be their expert either).

4. Poor management. The way to climb the ladder here is not based on merit - again, promotions and raises here are not based on merit. They are based on your ability to show how much you "drink the kool aid." If you want to move into management positions (AM, IC, TL), you HAVE to publicly show that you love the company, the product, and everything surrounding Epic. Don't even think about providing any constructive criticism about the company - you'll get a terrible bonus, if you get one at all, regardless of how much work you have put in the company. As a result, the management at Epic is not merit-based, but rather a group of people who either believe or pretend to believe that the company is perfection. They have very little to no leadership skills. They also receive basic (and in my opinion, laughable) training for their leadership roles. A majority of my friends and I experienced AMs (the person in your application who is supposed to be your supervisor on your project) yell at us for "asking too many questions," ignore our emails/phone calls/texts, or throw us under the boat (I did not personally experience this, but I know several others who did. Oftentimes, this occurred when the customer was unhappy and the AM or IC needed a scapegoat). AMs are often ACs who have been through one complete install, and are themselves not very experienced - look again to point 2. Turnover is so high at Epic that I found it uncommon to find someone who had been at Epic for more than 2 years (You'll be hard-pressed to find people who have been here for more than 4, which also bothered me. What does it say about a company that is 35 years old, but has only a small percentage of employees that have been here for even 5 years?).

5. Complete lack of transparency. Please do not mistake this as me saying that there is little transparency. There really is NO transparency. TLs are figure-heads who do not have much say in your career path (unless they dislike you, in which case, you'll be lucky if you are fired quickly) and do not understand your promotions or bonuses. These decisions are made by parties unknown to you, your TL, or even the lead of your application or role (I can state this as a fact because there were several questions that none of these individuals could answer for me when I was an employee).

6. You live in Madison. This could be a pro or con depending on who you are - that's why this is at the bottom. For the small percentage of the time that you are actually in Madison (see point 1), there are a few things to consider. The first is that there is very little diversity in Madison - cultural, SES, activities, restaurants, etc. You will be in a town with mostly white people who are either in college or work at Epic (although, I will congratulate you greatly if you manage to make "ex-Epic friends"), where most of the activities on the weekend involve the same 10 dingy college bars. However, the farmer's market is amazing, but it's really the only good thing about Madison. Some people love Madison though, so again, it's a pro or a con. But, do your research and visit before committing to live here.

Please think very carefully before taking a position with Epic. I know that they're throwing money at you, but it's not worth it. A lot of the people I knew at Epic were miserable and had to start taking medication for depression and anxiety while working there. I would never recommend Epic to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementI gave all the advice during my exit interview.

Nice people, always too much to do

Technical Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people I work with are nice, generally smart and competent, and care intensely about the success of our clients. Fellow team members will pitch in to help if you're in a rough spot.

The work is generally interesting and challenging, and you have the opportunity to advance rapidly if you have success in early projects.

The compensation is generous, especially given that new hires generally have minimal background in healthcare IT, and raises can be considerable.

The campus amenities are great. Having your own office straight out of college is a luxury, and the company cafeteria is amazing (just hope you have time in your day to actually sit down and eat).

ConsIt's hard to maintain a work-life balance. I often spend long hours at the office, and spend most weekends thinking of all the stuff I should be doing (whether I actually do it over the weekend largely varies). Overall, I think I average nearly 60 hours a week, but always feel it's insufficient to get what I need done.

Even in what is generally considered a low-travel position, I still have been averaging a business trip a month for the last 2.5 years.

The high workload leads to rapid employee turnover, which can make it challenging to ensure continuity on longer term projects.

Epic is chronically under-staffed, and as a result the quality of our product suffers. I'm regularly appalled by the bugs that I see in our code and the length of time they are allowed to persist.

Who you get as a team lead (direct manager) is a total grab bag and had the potential to really stymie your growth at the company. I've been lucky to have an experienced TL who's very supportive and tries to keep me from getting excessively over-burdened, but not everyone is as lucky.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs fast as you are hiring, it's not enough to sustain the needs of the clients you are constantly signing. As a result, you're overworking your current employees and hemorrhaging many of the valuable experienced ones due to burnout. There's a reason you have a reputation as a meat-grinder. Work on retention rather than treating employees as semi-disposable.

Consider the degree to which administrative processes are metastasizing--burdensome requirements that add to employee stress and workload without significantly adding value should be trashed.

Provide better support and training to new managers. Given your fresh-out-of-college employee base, you can't just give those who have been working for 1-2 years a new title of team lead and expect that they'll just know how to manage their team.

Also, please stop spending staff meetings to preach against your pet peeves. I'm really tired of hearing the same grammar and usage tips every month.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Unqualified & unprofessional TL's, terrible work Environment.

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Health Insurance! Thats it!!!

ConsEverything else!! Terrible Leadership in certain Departments

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Epic Systems Corporation CEO Judith R. Faulkner. All 577 reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees.