Epic Systems Corporation

Updated September 14, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 47 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 117 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

Current Employee - Varied  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Varied in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I came in with work experience, thinking I'd stay a couple years to pay down debt, and I've been here well over that. While not perfect, it's been a great experience. It's important work to improve healthcare, we do it quickly, and with minimal politics. The people are super bright. I like living in Madison too - it's a nice place to raise kids and a progressive community.

Cons

We have a reputation for working too many hours. It depends on the role, but I hear the average is ~45, which is consistent with what I observe here. I'm probably at 50-55, and that's comfortable for me - it's what I did at my last job too. Heavy travel roles tend to be higher, because of the travel.

Generally positive, but can sometimes feel overwhelming

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation is great, obviously. Fun place to work, and they really take the effort to make the building themes be as interesting as possible, especially in the newer buildings. It's not atypical to be given your own projects early on, but you're encouraged to seek out lots of help since they know you're still learning the ropes.

I also want to address a couple of claims on here that I consider inaccurate:

1) Work hours reported by other people are way over exaggerated. I typically work 40-45 hours a week and based on traffic patterns in and out of the garages, I would say most people tend to work 8-5. If you come in at 7 am, the place is a ghost town, and it's the same as if you stay till 6 or 7pm. Unless they are also working at home (which I RARELY, if ever, do), 40-45 hours a week would seem to be typical.

2) Turnover is not really very high. Of just the 20-30 people that work immediately around me, maybe two have left in the past few months. I've heard the actual turnover rate is under 20%, pretty typical for any company.

3) Travel can be brutal if you're in, say, Implementation, but I only have to travel maybe two or three times a year to meet my requirements, which is typical for most positions (BID, SD, QA, just to name a few). My advice, if you don't want to travel a lot, avoid being in Implementation Services.

Maybe things were different before, but this is how they are now.

Cons

Not too much, honestly, Often times it can feel as if you're given a little TOO much freedom, leaving you unsure of just what you are supposed to do. Sometimes the place can feel a little "cult-ish" and paranoid, but I think it can be justified as Epic has just attained premier status in the EMR world relatively recently (i.e. in the past 5-10 years) and they want to stay that way.

More structure towards newer employees, and stronger, more practical training.

An excellent place to intern

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working at Epic as a Software Development Intern was a great experience. The company culture is fantastic, and the work you accomplish feels meaningful. Everything about the company seems great - the location, campus, food, compensation and benefits are all top notch.

Cons

Generally speaking, I encountered none of the issues most people complain about while on my internship. The only real con I can speak for is that there seemed to be too little training on the application I was working with. Everything was overly general.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Entry Level Technical Service Enginneer at Epic

Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company tries really hard to make this a great place to work. Lots of nice perks, especially to a fresh out of college individual. Salary seemed generous for enetry level position with no prior experiance.

Cons

The work is pretty boring. This in combination with hiring many people who are still trying to figure out what they want to do leads to high turnover. The company also has a mildly cultish geek worshiping culture. Be wary of any koolaid offered.

See cons. Overall great place to work.

Great Intern Expierence

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Received a lot of responsibility running my own team of interns and collaborating various teams to build a new product. Able to significantly influence the project with our teams opinions, and the final product has been passed on to final development before shipping to customers. Fantastic team to work with

Cons

Location in Wisconsin is off putting, Can be difficult to get recommendations from team members for future job search due to Epics policy.

Software Development Intern

Current Employee - Software Development Intern  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI

Pros

- Solid pay
    - Flexible work hours
    - Share an office with another person
    - Cheap and excellent food
    - Great intern HR team - they organize many events

Cons

- No one will return for a full-time position
    - Not as big a name as Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc.
    - Spend a lot of time learning Epic code
    - Too much freedom for non-creative projects
    - Full-time developers are too busy to help
    - Madison is suburban
    - Very nerdy culture
    - Housing is always under construction

People work here for money, and nothing else. At least try to change this.

A Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As a software development intern, they will ask a lot of you and you will be expected to perform to the best of your abilities. While here, outside of your title (which no one ever sees unless you tell them), there is nothing to distinguish you from a full time employee, and you are treated as such. Sometimes this can feel overwhelming, but in the end, I found it to be a great learning experience. You will be given a full project that you take almost complete control of and direct. You are not given busywork and the culture towards interns is extremely friendly. I received assistance everywhere I looked for it and then some. Though a lot is expected, there are tons of resources at your disposal to make sure you succeed. In fact, the software developers here are possibly the most well-rounded and fun group of software developers I have ever met.

Outside of work, Madison is a fantastic place to spend a summer. There are tons of things to do... if you are bored here in the summer it is your own fault. Also, Epic puts a lot of time into planning and coordinating events for all the Interns to attend, from Paintball to Amusement Parks, so you will definitely have a lot of fun while you are here.

Cons

I don't think there are any huge cons. The only thing I can think of is that though there are a lot of resources available and everyone is extremely helpful, I found that you had to actively search for the help in order to receive it. There was not much training before you were given your project and expected to start work on it, which is both a positive and a negative.

Challenging

Former Employee - Implementation Project Manager  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They provide lots of opportunities to learn and grow your career. They compensate well and have excellent benefits, including an amazing sabbatical program for every 5 years you stay with the company. They try to have fun and make the campus an enjoyable place to be. The CEO is very involved in the company's day-to-day activities, which can be a pro or a con...depending on the situation.

Cons

They pay well, but they expect a lot; the hours and travel (depending on the position) can be very demanding and often don't allow for a good work-life balance. Most employees have the constant feeling of never being caught-up with their workload...it's a constant struggle of re-prioritizing to handle the biggest issue at the time. It's a work hard/play hard mentality, and I felt that sometimes the "work hard" aspect was not justified. It's very discouraging to be directed to put a lot of time and effort into something only to be told later that it wasn't actually necessary.

Work with employees and customers to gain a better understanding of what actual issues are. Employees can get jaded and ambivalent if a customer always has really "critical" issues...the sense of urgency is lost when someone cries wolf too often...and working at a break-neck pace for an entire project is a recipe for burnout and job dissatisfaction.

Good Internship

Former Employee - Software Development Intern  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Well put together internship with interesting projects. Even with the large intern pool you don't feel like you're competing with other interns and the environment encourages asking questions and getting help when you need it. Interns have a lot of say in the structure of their project and how they spend their time. Housing was provided for all interns in downtown Madison.

Cons

Because of the amount of say interns have in their project/structure, interns need to be self-directed. This is fine, but depending on the project interns often need to spend much of the project familiarizing themselves with existing code, which can lead to awkward moments partway through where you realize what you've been working on has already been done. Because housing was in downtown Madison, the commute to/from work was about 25 minutes.

Great people, challenging work, very high expectations

Former Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Epic is fully of amazing people - energetic, intelligent, and dedicated. The work is challenging and is towards a good cause.

Cons

Expectations are very high. This is mostly good, but can also often leads to burnout. Epic felt more and more corporate the larger it got, with less emphasis on the individual.

Management is very good. You should continue to value team members' opinions and seek to improve processes. While many of the side benefits are nice, most people leave because the salary is ultimately lower than other positions that also require less hours per week, and many don't feel like there's a strong push from the company to keep them.

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!