Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.6
Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay specially in a low cost state/city (in 53 reviews)

• The work environment is incredibly relaxed (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no sense of work-life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Many work long hours to avoid letting items slip through the cracks as they will hear about this relentlessly in feedback sessions (in 86 reviews)

1. Impacting healthcare world-wide

Current Employee - Interface Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Interface Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Motivated, self driven people can go far, very quickly. Great culture, smart people. Salary and benefits are fantastic.

Cons

Hard to choose where to take my sabbatical. It is limited to a foreign country I have never been to. Also, the health insurance choices are difficult. Especially when your healthcare is paid for after five years.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the strong. Focus on the best and spend less time with the weak.

2. Great place to work

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

great coworkers excellent team

Cons

Had to move due to family reasons wish i could work remotely

3. Project Manager

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere with friendly people Easy to get work done

Cons

Bad work/life balance Work over 50 hours a week most weeks CEO is stubborn

A really rare opportunity that will eat you alive if you let it

Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to big things. Surrounded (mostly) by competence. Opportunity to solve complex and important problems. Given real responsibility real fast.

Cons

Completely different corporate environment than (almost) anything else means that it will be: A) Difficult to show your value to future employers and taken seriously. "Oh, you managed a 90 person technical team over 2 years for a multi-million dollar project involving thousands of stakeholders? Well, this position requires 7 years of experience, but, uh, that sounds impressive." B) Hard to cope having less talent surrounding you

6. Good training,helpful

Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is good. Campus beautiful. Good environment of discussion. Move foundation to Web & C#

Cons

Language is my problem. Almost white people here. English not my first language

Advice to Management

Nothing special . All great

A very good place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* A lot of responsibility early on - hires based on aptitude rather than experience, and then trusts you to deliver right off the bat * Work culture revolves around ownership. You will not be micro-managed * If you want to change something, you generally can. There are structures, but it's not as soul-crushingly ossified as more hierarchically-conscious companies * Work is meaningful - this is healthcare and you are actually saving lives (with the corollary that standards are very, very high, because the stakes are very, very high) * Benefits are much better than the average, particularly healthcare (but not vacation, unless you stay for the sabbatical) * Principled CEO who is genuinely in it for the customers, not the money

Cons

* The healthcare industry is very politically sensitive, so if you're the sort of person who can't stand the heat, this is not the kitchen for you * Also, don't come here if you're content to coast - coasting is not tolerated * The flat management structure is great in theory but in practice means it's sometimes difficult to work out who is responsible for what * A slight but visible bias toward R&D functions, perhaps because of the company's origins as an R&D shop. More needs to be done to support the project management side of things internally

8. Nice pace.

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Quiet Town, nice people, flexable work time.

Cons

No advanced tech. Small town.

9. Technical Services

Pros

A lot of responsibility from the get-go. No one micromanages you, and everyone is very helpful. In my 3 weeks here thus far, yes I've work on an average of about 45 hours per week, but nothing to stressful.

Cons

A lot of training. Feels like I havent left college yet as there are still exams to take and study for. A lot of work to put in to these also.

Advice to Management

I like the fact that new hires take responsibility for there success right away, however I would advice implementing a more generous reimbursement package as $500 (aftet tax ~$300) just doesnt cut it.

10. Still in Training

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Awesome environment, laid-back culture, management is laid out in such a way that you have a good grasp of who to report to.

Cons

Training feels like going back to school again. People either really like working there or dislike working there.

A Great Step towards a Career

Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

Pros

The Epic atmosphere is overall very friendly and fun to be in. At times it can be a bit cheesy or forced but Judy, the CEO, truly believes in the company, her employees and the customer. She is a truly unique CEO and takes the Corporation out of "Epic Systems Corporation". The campus is amazing, complete with a cafeteria with a huge variety and very affordable pricing making lunch easy to obtain without leaving work or preparing a lunch everyday. Coworkers are responsible, friendly and very intelligent people. Epic has a huge community of people and you can pretty much find a group of people for any interest you might have outside of work. It's a great way to find new activities, especially if you are new to the colder climates. Disclaimer: Epic is a big place and things will definitely vary by role, application and team. What I say here reflects my experience alone and do not proclaim it to be the case across all of Epic.

Cons

Epic has very high expectations of its employees and compensates its employees well for these expectations. However, lack of proper design and a general inexperience among developers causes even the most straight forward projects to be unnecessarily difficult. Most developers are hired directly from college with little industry experience. This leads to less growing opportunities and less organized projects. Projects begin to feel like a college assignment and seriously lack the design necessary for enterprise software systems that have such a vital role in people's lives. Disclaimer: Epic is a big place and things will definitely vary by role, application and team. What I say here reflects my experience alone and do not proclaim it to be the case across all of Epic.

Advice to Management

Promote seniority and experience over new hires from college. Inexperience and lack of technical planning can make projects a nightmare; creating un-maintainable code from the start which makes life more difficult down the road, even in the short term. Most developers (I've spoken to) see Epic as an opportunity for entry level industry experience and see very little merit in becoming a senior developer at Epic. Disclaimer: Epic is a big place and things will definitely vary by role, application and team. What I say here reflects my experience alone and do not proclaim it to be the case across all of Epic.

RSS Feed </> Embed