Epic Systems Corporation

Updated October 1, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 50 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 128 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 82 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

Current Employee - Varied  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Varied in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I came in with work experience, thinking I'd stay a couple years to pay down debt, and I've been here well over that. While not perfect, it's been a great experience. It's important work to improve healthcare, we do it quickly, and with minimal politics. The people are super bright. I like living in Madison too - it's a nice place to raise kids and a progressive community.

Cons

We have a reputation for working too many hours. It depends on the role, but I hear the average is ~45, which is consistent with what I observe here. I'm probably at 50-55, and that's comfortable for me - it's what I did at my last job too. Heavy travel roles tend to be higher, because of the travel.

Generally positive, but can sometimes feel overwhelming

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation is great, obviously. Fun place to work, and they really take the effort to make the building themes be as interesting as possible, especially in the newer buildings. It's not atypical to be given your own projects early on, but you're encouraged to seek out lots of help since they know you're still learning the ropes.

I also want to address a couple of claims on here that I consider inaccurate:

1) Work hours reported by other people are way over exaggerated. I typically work 40-45 hours a week and based on traffic patterns in and out of the garages, I would say most people tend to work 8-5. If you come in at 7 am, the place is a ghost town, and it's the same as if you stay till 6 or 7pm. Unless they are also working at home (which I RARELY, if ever, do), 40-45 hours a week would seem to be typical.

2) Turnover is not really very high. Of just the 20-30 people that work immediately around me, maybe two have left in the past few months. I've heard the actual turnover rate is under 20%, pretty typical for any company.

3) Travel can be brutal if you're in, say, Implementation, but I only have to travel maybe two or three times a year to meet my requirements, which is typical for most positions (BID, SD, QA, just to name a few). My advice, if you don't want to travel a lot, avoid being in Implementation Services.

Maybe things were different before, but this is how they are now.

Cons

Not too much, honestly, Often times it can feel as if you're given a little TOO much freedom, leaving you unsure of just what you are supposed to do. Sometimes the place can feel a little "cult-ish" and paranoid, but I think it can be justified as Epic has just attained premier status in the EMR world relatively recently (i.e. in the past 5-10 years) and they want to stay that way.

More structure towards newer employees, and stronger, more practical training.

Great for software developers

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice sized teams. Beautiful campus. Great pay. The travel is really nice. You travel a whole lot, but getting out of the office for a few days every couple months is something I really enjoyed.

Cons

Not a very good work/life balance. Very stressful near deadlines. I'd recommend working here, but probably not for more than a few years.

To be honest, they make the job about as good as it can be given that it is pretty highly stressful. I liked how they share a lot about how the company is doing (good and bad) and what they are considering for the future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Development Intern

Current Employee - Software Development Intern  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Solid pay
    - Flexible work hours
    - Share an office with another person
    - Cheap and excellent food
    - Great intern HR team - they organize many events

Cons

- No one will return for a full-time position
    - Not as big a name as Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc.
    - Spend a lot of time learning Epic code
    - Too much freedom for non-creative projects
    - Full-time developers are too busy to help
    - Madison is suburban
    - Very nerdy culture
    - Housing is always under construction

People work here for money, and nothing else. At least try to change this.

An excellent place to intern

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

Pros

Working at Epic as a Software Development Intern was a great experience. The company culture is fantastic, and the work you accomplish feels meaningful. Everything about the company seems great - the location, campus, food, compensation and benefits are all top notch.

Cons

Generally speaking, I encountered none of the issues most people complain about while on my internship. The only real con I can speak for is that there seemed to be too little training on the application I was working with. Everything was overly general.

Entry Level Technical Service Enginneer at Epic

Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company tries really hard to make this a great place to work. Lots of nice perks, especially to a fresh out of college individual. Salary seemed generous for enetry level position with no prior experiance.

Cons

The work is pretty boring. This in combination with hiring many people who are still trying to figure out what they want to do leads to high turnover. The company also has a mildly cultish geek worshiping culture. Be wary of any koolaid offered.

See cons. Overall great place to work.

Great Intern Expierence

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Received a lot of responsibility running my own team of interns and collaborating various teams to build a new product. Able to significantly influence the project with our teams opinions, and the final product has been passed on to final development before shipping to customers. Fantastic team to work with

Cons

Location in Wisconsin is off putting, Can be difficult to get recommendations from team members for future job search due to Epics policy.

A Fantastic Internship Experience

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As a software development intern, they will ask a lot of you and you will be expected to perform to the best of your abilities. While here, outside of your title (which no one ever sees unless you tell them), there is nothing to distinguish you from a full time employee, and you are treated as such. Sometimes this can feel overwhelming, but in the end, I found it to be a great learning experience. You will be given a full project that you take almost complete control of and direct. You are not given busywork and the culture towards interns is extremely friendly. I received assistance everywhere I looked for it and then some. Though a lot is expected, there are tons of resources at your disposal to make sure you succeed. In fact, the software developers here are possibly the most well-rounded and fun group of software developers I have ever met.

Outside of work, Madison is a fantastic place to spend a summer. There are tons of things to do... if you are bored here in the summer it is your own fault. Also, Epic puts a lot of time into planning and coordinating events for all the Interns to attend, from Paintball to Amusement Parks, so you will definitely have a lot of fun while you are here.

Cons

I don't think there are any huge cons. The only thing I can think of is that though there are a lot of resources available and everyone is extremely helpful, I found that you had to actively search for the help in order to receive it. There was not much training before you were given your project and expected to start work on it, which is both a positive and a negative.

No development opportunities - bad first job, but good for career switchers

Current Employee - Technical Coordinator  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Coordinator in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Cassiopeia food is usually good. It's getting more expensive and crowded - be prepared to stand in line for fifteen minutes.
    - Health insurance. It costs $60/month and covers anything
    - Decent pay. I worked at a bank before the department was shuttered, and I was paid more there. But this job is less volatile and is pretty close in base.

Cons

- Each time I travel, I fly out Sunday morning and fly back Wednesday late at night. Count it up - one day weekend many weeks.
    - No professional development.
    Programmers - good luck finding anything asking for Cache.
    IS - you don't learn much Project Management from a bunch of other kids eight months out of college.
    TS - I hope you enjoy sifting through poorly maintained Wikis all day.
    - You live in Madison and commute roughly 90 minutes a day, or you live in Verona/Middleton and have no social life. There isn't a right answer here.
    - One of the best things about the bank was the ability to advance. Once you get thrown into a box at Epic, you stay there until you leave or beg your TL to try out another box. What people find, once they get what they want, is that the four people with titles would rather churn and burn the livestock than keep any box livable.

Developers here tend to be low to midgrade, but they definitely have the best employment if they stick around.

The prompt above says "Consider discussing: promotions, personal growth, perks."

So, where are these? How are you motivating me to stay? You aren't, so I can only assume you don't care. No one seems excited to go to work - you've got a vibrant bunch of kids with big ideas and dreams. It's a bit monstrous how you systemically manage to squash the excitement from so many people.

Good job for the salary but not much else

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Very competitive salary, very nice food and drinks, comfortable office and easy parking, lots of conferences, presentations and guest lectures. Some members of my team were intelligent and helpful [others sabotaged my work to make themselves look better]

Cons

Obsolete technology is a problem when you interview afterwards. Very heavy workload. The technical assignments are not very challenging but are difficult and time consuming because (1) the software is very old and monolithic and (2) Epic uses the most complex software development cycle I have ever seen [Going through PQA is truly a good exercise, but I spent too much time chasing pedantic issues that just ended up getting dropped]

We were constantly told that Epic is the only software company that has a casual environment and dress code. I felt that almost everyone knew this was a lie and they should not have emphasized it as much as they do. We were also constantly told that the technology was *not* obsolete and the database is very fast. But again, the facts simply do not support this. The database performance studies we were quoted were very biased and not conclusive at all.

I might be the only one to say this next point: I felt the training was way too much considering that I used only a small part of it on the actual job. I resented all the personal time I spent studying for Epic exams while my colleagues were learning modern, more efficient technologies. I probably would have failed out of Epic except I saw people cheating on the exams. After that, even my TL mentioned how much my grades improved.

The exams were the main reason I left. Now I have a better job doing EMRs where the training is much better with more reasonable testing procedures. And the weird thing is that I work fewer hours but I deliver more and better solutions than I ever did with Epic.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!