Epic Systems Corporation

Updated October 17, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 51 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 129 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Software Developer Engineer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer Engineer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company really has a strong, diverse, and sometimes geeky (but not overly so) culture. Everyone around me was successful and intelligent and generally motivated. It seems very much that success correlates with hard work here. There's a lot of opportunities for growth and learning, and I could easily approach anyone for help, which I took advantage of during my internship. A large chunk of the leadership consists of programmers and developers, which is both good and bad, but I view it as mostly good. Lastly, the internship experience was great. There were a lot of events, a lot of perks, and the social aspect of it was wonderful. I got the chance to meet a lot of awesome folks from around the country.

Cons

The location is a little troublesome. I personally love the area; you get a good amount of the activities associated with a city with a more laid-back feel and there's a lot of outdoor activities. I say it's troublesome only because, if you have attachments (family, significant other, etc.), it's pretty hard to convince them to move out there to the area. But, then again, Chicago is pretty close by!

Great place to work and live, just not the traditional "forefront" of tech

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Madison is a great city. Full of young people with plenty to do on the weekends in the area. The company is very friendly and welcoming to young people, and is expanding very rapidly. The campus is beautiful and fellow employees were helpful and encouraging. I worked in the office on a team of people with many different backgrounds, and you could easily pop in and ask the Graphic Designer or QA'er or more experienced developer any question you had and they were happy to dedicate time to help. Also note that your primary development audience are doctors and physicians (aka older people), which changes design and implementation approaches a little bit. The company spends a lot of time training their customers to try and get their familiar with their eclectic array of applications. The food is great and very inexpensive (<$5 for a real steak and potatoes), and they're adding on more and more to the campus every year. Tunnels and walkways allow you to stay indoors no matter where you're going to avoid the snow. Bridges and fun themes keep things exciting and interesting (also the treehouse). I loved my summer here and will likely be back after I graduate in the Spring.

Also one of the best salaries offered out of school for a developer (considering cost of living is so low in Madison), which certainly helps.

Cons

Cold, not really a place to work for more than 5-10 years. Good to wet your professional whistle and make some good money in a great city, but my true love is the learning new tech and advancing my personal skills. You won't see Epic delving into and AngularJS or NodeJS or Python/PHP dev with complex web app front end anytime soon. Also not allowed to use open source libraries in your work without specific legal approval like JQuery. You'll likely be programming in C++ or VB with HTML/CSS, with a chance of Objective-C or Java if doing Mobile. Not quite the same as the other large tech companies or startup scene.

Be open to using new technologies, and focus way more time on updating the design of your apps. PLEASE REDESIGN HYPERSPACE. Most of the apps feel like they're still stuck in the 90's.

Overall a great company to work for

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the environment, extremely motivated and intelligent co-workers, work we is important (can help save lives).

Cons

Work life balance can be bad, have a tendency to add more process when it's not needed.

Best summer internship I've heard of first-hand

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as an intern at Epic. The food is absolutely delicious, the campus is absolutely gorgeous (with cool themes!), and the pay is (probably) higher than what you will find at any other company in the Midwest. Teams seem to be well-sized. In my limited experience, management worked hard to make the place lighted-spirited. The work environment is incredibly relaxed. No hours are counted; even interns are salaried. There is no dress code whatsoever, and everyone either shares an actual office (with real walls) with one coworker, or has a private office. We got together quite often for awesome team-building events. Also, the sound of Nerf guns never seemed to be far away...

Intern development projects are usually R&D type stuff, but are always actual programming projects. This may sound like a silly comment, but I assure you that it isn't. Epic didn't seem to be heavy on strict design process, unless it actually helps. Interns (we worked in small groups) were given free reign of all design (structural and visual) and implementation details, with the exception of any necessary requirements gathering, which was done for us. That means pride of true ownership, which is rare for an undergraduate.

Everyone around you is very competent, bright, and full of criticism (the good kind). There's a certain peace of mind that comes with never having to look over others' shoulders. The employees have such diverse talents and interests that it starts to feel like a university campus, with a plethora of clubs and "extracurricular" groups to join.

Over 100 interns lived together in the Regent Apartments, on the edge of the UW campus, making it easy to form great relationships. Great (and free) intern events were constantly planned, including hikes, baseball games, and trips to the Dells. The intern team actually implements suggestions, so you know that they are working to make the experience even more attractive. Interns come from all over the country (and out of it), and from differing levels of higher education. Diversity always makes for interesting conversations and relationships.

Cons

Some decisions don't seem to be made very quickly. The company is VERY cautious. There is a constant, visible focus on avoiding bad PR, and some strange rules are born of that. This cautiousness extends to software as well. They tend to ignore widely used, powerful external software in favor of in-house copies. Because of the pressure to reinvent the wheel in-house and the large amount of code sitting around, is isn't uncommon for different teams to redevelop the same thing multiple times. Then you have 4 in-house copies of something someone else has been doing better for years.

Put more pressure on everyone else around you to experiment with well-established open source libraries and external tools when relevant. You could cut down on redundancy and relieve developer workloads, which could improve Glassdoor reviews!

Great company, Interesting Culture

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good culture, very into what they are doing and interesting themes to buildings. Helps to keep the company together
    Cool projects, especially for interns. They want you to enjoy what they're doing.
    Hard working people

Cons

Location is not super great, Madison is kind of a boring place with little to do
    No growth, seemed like it was hard to get higher up in the company, people had been there for 5 years + with no promotion

Interview Process

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very innovate and interesting place to work. Campus is beautiful and everybody there is very bright. If you are just starting off this is a great place to get some valuable experience.

Cons

The hours are pretty tough but not as bad as some people say. No other cons really come to mind.

Stressful but Rewarding

Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, great pay, lot of perks

Cons

Stressful, lots of work, Long hours

Hire more people and spread out the work.

Fast paced, challenging, and dynamic

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It never gets dull. Every job has people or customers that ruffle your feathers, but it's the person (employee) who has the choice how to react - grow or quit. Epic gives you lots of opportunities to grow up and be a contributing member of society. The autonomous work culture doesn't handle hold you but also sets the bar of expectations high to achieve the best. If you aren't achieving it, they work with you to help you become the achiever. If after trying and trying again, then they'll help you find something else that might be a better fit. They're invested first in their customers, and secondly in their employees, but they understand they have to have happy employees to have happy customers.

Cons

Most of the employees are single, young straight-out-college folks without families. Therefore, most of the benefit packages favor single employees and leave families in the dark. Don't get me wrong - what benefits families do have are incredible, but competing companies offer much better benefit packages for families. Nonetheless, the benefits for singles are amazing.

Summer Internship at Epic

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very good compensation. Well defined project but lots of flexibility with where you can take it. Great HR team for interns - some fun event every few days. Monthly all-staff meetings make you feel you are an important part of the company. Awesome food. Amazing campus!

Cons

Not very open to new technologies, but I think they are trying to change that now.

Be more open to new approaches and technologies. Don't be complacent with past achievements.

A good place to get an introduction to HIT

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment. Collaborative setting. Freedom to pursue interests that promote company values and advance company or division goals.

Cons

There is a lot of freedom to get involved in different projects and opportunities. However, with the flat management structure it is difficult to feel like you're progressing in your career. In a lot of ways it feels like there is a disconnect between your accomplishments and your pay.

Epic is no longer a small company, but it seems like upper management insists on running it like it is. More stratification in the management structure can help alleviate bottlenecks in decision making, but will ultimately sacrifice the 'flat' structure Epic currently has.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos