Epic Systems Corporation

Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living (in 53 reviews)

• Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 136 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, Fast Pace

Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are coming from a Liberal arts degree, there is a decent chance Epic is the most money you are going to get offered anywhere.
    In my experience, dealing with customers and related work takes on the order of 40-45 hrs/wk, starting as soon as I got done training. On top of that, I have some internal projects I do that add time (5-10 hrs/wk), but only add so much time because I actively enjoy doing them.
    I've had two team leads (supervisors)- both of them were great, and of the team leads on my team, I would rate almost all highly.

Cons

For all the talk Epic does about being integrated, every application is complicated enough that very few people newer than 5 years (who don't have coordination roles) have a good grasp of all of even their own application, and likely little to no knowledge of other applications.
    It is easy to get in a rut of just putting out fires. People do burn out, especially implementation specialists, who travel all the time.
    The quality of analysts at customer sites varies immensely, which can have a frustratingly large impact on how much work Epic staff have to do.
    Lots of new hires fresh of college have unrealistic expectations of what a real job is (it's hard). Most either shape up or ship out pretty quickly.

Stop trying to run a large company like it is a small one by telling everyone how great having a small company used to be. Company culture change is not the end of the world. Harness that tide, rather than try to keep it out.

Good Company, Good Job, great Benefits, Especially for a kitchen worker.

Current Employee - Chef in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Chef in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fringe benefits are nice, we have some freedom in the creation of the food and we are not managed by a bunch of task masters like you tend to find in many restaurant kitchens.
    Making good quality food for large numbers.
    Diverse working environment.
    Working with more like minded people than I have ever had the opportunity to, good growth and constantly challenged.

Cons

menu constraints can be limiting at times.
    The mass of product in an already tight working environment really makes for tough stressful conditions. (Should be alleviated by new Kitchen spaces)
    lots of struggle with having enough people to fill all of the roles puts added stress on the rest of the crew.

Don't wait to get a reaction from us before making improvements, most kitchen people will not say anything and will just go down in flames in the process. If we are complaining it has been really bad for a while.
    Make an effort to get more involved with the department rather than just making more and more demands. A better understanding of the department would go a long way .

Incredibly challenging and rewarding experience

Current Employee - Implementation Services
    Current Employee - Implementation Services

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Epic is a place where everyone is talented, driven, and very smart. I love working with people who have my back, are always willing to help out, are there when I need their advice and suggestions, and will push me to be the best that I can be. I love the feedback-based culture where I know where I stand and can be open in sharing this same feedback with others. The yearly raises have been much more than I dreamed of before I started this job. Lastly, I would be bored in a job where I did the same thing every day. At Epic, I never face this issue. There are different challenges and tasks on a daily basis, no matter what your role.

Cons

It is a very tough job. I often work 60+ hour weeks, but I am rewarded well for my efforts. I am given many different leadership opportunities, which all add to my workload, but are very helpful in furthering my career at Epic. I have to create my own work/life balance, but I make that a priority and can teach others about how to do this.

Always provide feedback to those you manage. I am glad that our culture encourages this, while many other companies I know (from friends or past colleagues) do not do the same.

Epic = Opportunity

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked here for 3 years and am overall very happy. Sure there are things I can complain about (see cons) but this will not be avoided by moving to another employer.

Compensation is merit based, which definately encourages people to pursue their passion and actually care about the work that they put out.

When something is wrong, people actually listen if you have a better idea, in many cases, if you can fix it, you should and do (and get credit for it).

Training is top notch, no other company can teach the complexity of healthcare like Epic does. Your first six months are more valuable than your degree when it comes to actually being a functioning part of a team in a giant healthcare organization.

The customers ROCK - no substitutes for this one.

Cons

Besides all the petty and trivial things people have written I would say turnaround can be be tough on everyone, Epic struggles to hold on to some of it's best people because of grad/med/law school. Also, I vomited when I learned what developers make.

Good in the short term

Former Employee - Software Development Intern
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This internship paid very well, and allowed me the freedom to work on an open-ended project. I was very much in control of my work time and effort. The other interns were really cool people and my office-mates were great.

Cons

I was one of the only women in the department. It was not a real problem, but it did make me feel very uncomfortable in meetings. I also know from other female interns that in meetings they were often ignored or undervalued in meetings.

The workload was also completely self-determined. I heard of full time employees working frequent late nights and weekends. This is the sort of job that would burn you out.

Make an effort to hire more women!
    Also, have developers allocate more time to keeping old code clean and relevant.

Wonderful place to grow and build confidence. A lot of work.

Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really smart people.
    Engaging projects.
    Get to travel as much as you'd like.
    Great benefits.
    Madison is an incredible city.

Cons

Poor work/life balance.
    Stressful.
    Socially isolating (stuck in office all day).
    Blame is placed on TS for basically everything. IS don't really contribute anything (typical management role), except peskering the engineers to solve the problems.
    Inconsistent leadership.
    Cold.

I think there needs to be better direction at Epic. There is a slow development cycle, and some promises that can't be delivered to our customers by developers, who then hide behind the shadows, while the TS clean up their mess. I think that there needs to be more recognition for TS as I truly feel that they are the powerhouses of the company (not trying to be biased), and I think many would agree.

It's a great place to work if you're willing to be a great employee.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have a lot of freedom in my job. I can pick what projects to work on, what extra things to take on on the side, how to allot my time and (in many cases) who I want to work with. I can do as much as I'd like, but I'm also encouraged to say "no" when necessary to prevent myself from getting overloaded. I can also occassionally work from home or in one of the common areas so I can get out of my office if I need to.

Cons

You have to be good at what you do. This isn't a coasting company where you can get by just doing what you're told. You need to take the initiative to make things around you better and actively try to improve yourself and your team. This really isn't the job for people who like to be told exactly what they need to do day in and day out and expect to succeed doing just that.

Unreasonable expectations from the start

Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was nice, and they provided excellent medical benefits.
    Having an office with only two people was nice, but isolating.
    Having food on site was good, but often very far away from where your next meeting was.

Cons

There is very little training involved before you're given your first customers. I had my first customer assigned to me on my second day of work.

No regard was given to personal skill sets. My educational background, which had nothing to do with computers or computer science, was apparently all they needed to see to put me into the technical services bucket. I was never even considered for another, perhaps more suitable, role.

Team leaders are a mixed bag. Sometimes you'll get a supportive TL who will help you to achieve your goals, and sometimes, as in my case, you'll get a TL who only cares that you show results. Even when I asked for help, I was never given any. I was told that I was just making excuses for not getting the work done that I hadn't even been properly trained to do.

Work/life "integration" is a joke. Plan on taking your work home with you every day because that's the only way it's ever getting done. There is no balance. Taking a personal phone call during the day does not mean that the extra hours of work you have to do at home is justified, especially when it's your turn with the pager.

"Recovery" time is very limited. I worked 19 days straight without a break, with many of those days lasting 12+ hours, and was offered 1 day off in return. Burnout under those conditions is inevitable.

Backstabbing is not uncommon between employees. Lies do get made up about how people are doing at work, and some TL's will listen to everyone else before they listen to you. This is supposed to be a professional work environment, but it often felt like high school all over again.

You hire smart people for a reason. Don't burn them out. The time it takes to train a replacement for the employees you've lost just hurts the company's reputation further.

Listen to the employees. They know more about what's going on in the workplace than they get credit for.

Trust the employees. When

Software Developer Intern

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good salary and free housing for interns
    - Freedom of control on intern project
    - Little to no intern training
    - Great intern HR team
    - Good benefits for full-time developers

Cons

- Full-time developers are stressed and overworked
    - Managers have no management training
    - Use of old languages such as Cache means no other company will take you seriously
    - HR blackmails you when you try to leave the company
    - Madison is boring

To upper management: Hire actual managers.
    To middle and lower management: Go back to your original job.

Challenging. Beautiful. No balance.

Former Employee - EDI in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - EDI in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Beautiful campus and great food (seriously. it's a big deal.)
    -Brilliant and friendly co-workers
    -Never bored
    -Solid benefits
    -Madison is one of the best places to live in the US

Cons

-Lack of work-life balance. The work isn't so difficult, but there is just so much to be done that working bleeds very much into your life. Also the expectation that you are available to answer emails/calls at ALL hours.
    -Poor management. Both in structure and training. Since there is no such thing as a promotion, the only motivation is "if you do well, you get even more work" or "if you don't excel we'll fire you."
    -Conflicting generational philosophies. The Company has grown so rapidly that many of the older employees try to impose philosophies that work in a company of several hundred people or less. Since Epic is now almost 10,000 people, those ideas don't apply so well.

Hire people to manage teams in a given role. Don't just give those people in a role management positions for having been there a while. Many skilled workers are not meant to be managers, and vice-versa.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos