Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

815 reviews filtered by
3.6
Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living (in 53 reviews)

• Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 136 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 86 reviews)

Challenging work, engaging and rewarding if you approach it with maturity.

Current Employee - Technical Services Manager in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services Manager in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work is very challenging and engaging. You have a lot of autonomy, and control over your direction. The vision and culture of the company is strong. Almost everybody you work with is really smart and cares about what they do, and why. The company really is a large group of people who feel that their work can make healthcare better.

Epic has such a strong focus on education that I feel one could spend a life of learning while at Epic - from application certifications, to other external seminars or technical certifications.

Because Epic does everything they can to hire really good people, a lot of the people hired each month tend to be right out of college (smart/good people tend to not bounce around too much after their first few years somewhere). This means that with the growth Epic has had, the staff overall is young and ambitious. Some may feel "peer pressure" to also be ultra-ambitious, but to others it's energizing.

Cons

Since the work is engaging, and since Epic hires people who tend to be ambitious, a lot of people get themselves into a position of working a lot more than they want to. If they're unable to approach the job with maturity in terms of understanding when you're burning out, or Team Lead doesn't help you recognize when you're burning out, then.. you'll burn out.

Advice to Management

Protect the culture as fiercely as you can. As the company grows and the industry changes, it will be more difficult to keep the same entrepreneurial, energetic and positive culture you've had for so long.

2. A Fantastic Summer Internship.

Former Employee - Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Intern in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Epic went above and beyond to make sure we had a great experience. From the start, I was put on an exciting project that interested me. Project managers did a great job of providing direction when needed but still letting it be our project and think it through from start to fully-functioning prototype.

+ I learned a ton on the job.
    + Excellent pay and free housing.
    + Fun, free events throughout the summer for interns.
    + An awesome campus.
    + I still miss the cafeteria!

Cons

I've heard that working there full time doesn't offer the same level of opportunity for growth or flexibility. But if you're looking for an internship, give it a shot!

Advice to Management

Make sure that full time developers are given reign to use their creativity in ways that will benefit the company.

3. Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High compensation (especially considering the cost of living in Madison), very intelligent colleagues, beautiful campus, great benefits, good and cheap food. Everyone is very helpful, willing to take time to help you with just about anything. You can pretty much set your own hours. Rewarding work in a field that directly affects millions of people.

Cons

You will likely work mainly with very archaic technology (VB 6 and M/Cache). Definitely more of a "career" place than a stepping stone for more opportunities, though this could be a pro to some. I often felt I was doing a lot more maintenance of old code than I'd like, as opposed to creating new stuff, but your mileage will vary. Lots of institutional knowledge. It takes a while to get going, but once you do

Advice to Management

I sometimes felt like I was being "babied" along, especially in training. Encouraging more new innovation/ideas and letting developers run with them would be nice.

5. Be challenged and make a difference!

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

I love working with bright people who want to do what's right to the best of their ability. Everyone is willing to help others and your work makes an impact on healthcare globally!

Cons

It is a challange. If you don't like taking on new things and pushing yourself, it's probably not the job for you.

Great first job

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extensive training program, I learned a lot about software implementation and system structures that has applied to other jobs.

Cons

No work-life balance. Hard to take time off. A bit of a chew-you-up-and-spit-you-out mentality for young grads.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency in management to increase employee buy-in. Only a handful of the very large hire group I started with made it past the 3 year mark.

Epic has been a great learning experience.

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Lot's of interesting to learn.

Cons

Very steep learning curve. You have to enjoy what you're doing.

8. Good place to work

Former Employee - Technical Services
    Former Employee - Technical Services

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Flexibility to take initiative and implement personal ideas. Nice offices and work environment, as well as great co-workers always willing to help out with problems and issues. Great perks like the coffee shop and cafeteria, and great outdoor space to get out and get fresh air.

Cons

The work could be stressful, and sometimes long hours were definitely required, but part of the job was learning to manage your time and workload, and by doing that you could find a good balance. Learning to say no to some requests was key.

Advice to Management

Overall, management seemed to take input from employees seriously, and should continue to do so. Overall I felt the company was well managed.

Technical Services

Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Epic is a great launching board into Healthcare IT. No matter what your experience level is out of college, you can get a high-caliber salaried job in the field as long as you're smart. You'll make tons of money really fast, eat like a king, and travel to interesting places.

You're allowed to work fairly independently and handle things the way you see fit. If you think the customer should implement a workaround, you can go ahead and say it, and your word will be the word of the company. If you think a piece of code should be fixed, you can assign it to yourself and draft a design.

You'll have an extraordinary amount of power and responsibility for a recent graduate. Some days, you'll look back at the impact of a fix or change you performed and it will blow your mind.

Cons

Your job experience is a complete shuffle. Rather than being on client projects with a start and finish, you will be assigned several customer organizations to support, and they'll be yours for the entire duration of your career with Epic (with a few exceptions). If one of them is awful to you, you're probably stuck.

There's no career advancement. There are new programs being created constantly to mask this, different ways of becoming "gurus," "experts," "masterminds," etc. but none of these are actually promotions. A TS can get a slightly better job title by becoming a Coordinator or a Team Lead, but they'll still be stuck doing the same kind of work plus extra. You'll keep getting asked to do more and more, but you won't be rewarded for working harder.

There's a lot of denial like this that goes on. HR will tell you that the turnover rate isn't bad (look around you). R&D leads will tell you that the technology isn't outdated (just look at it). Trust your eyes- Epic isn't planning on keeping or growing you. If you take this gig, you probably won't be at it more than a couple years, and the noncompete will keep you out of work unless you've kept your other skills sharp.

Advice to Management

Please think about the most recent talking points/commandments.

"What you put up with is what you stand for." Think about how that sounds to those of us in the trenches. What you put up with is what you stand for because you're running the show- you can push back on anything, punish anyone. What I put up with keeps me employed.

"If you don't agree, dissent. When decided, support." The company is now huge, and the general body of employees is no longer involved in decision making- we just find out about policies at staff meetings and deal with them. Until there is more transparency, all this really says to us is "Don't dissent."

10. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

- Starting salary is 58,000 dollars, which is officially 27.8 dollars per hour, before taxes
    - the people you work with are highly intelligent and overall great people, but 70% also viscerally hate their lives and jobs
    - that hate is despite making 115,000 dollars after 3 years
    - some people love Epic to the point of naming their children Willow and Clarity, two of the application's names (though generally not project managers...)
    - you travel a lot and rack up hotel and air miles
    - fewer than 1% of applicants get hired, which makes working at Epic a very prestigious job. Future employers know this. They also know why you would quit.
    - you get incredible leadership and management experience
    - you will always have a job at Epic if you quit (in good standing, of course), and can consult for twice the salary at Epic.

Cons

- More likely, your hourly wage will be between 17 and 22 dollars per hour
    - My average work week was 59.8 hours per week, which was an underestimate and took into account training days in the beginning of the year which were solid 8. That's a conservative estimate with 50 percent above and 50 percent below. It is not unusual for people to work between 70 and 100 hours per week, generally at least one week per month
    - There is a huge learning curve when you start
    - you travel a lot

Advice to Management

Make job expectations clearer before hiring

11. Overall a good company

Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

beautiful campus. good salary, and great work life balance. Madison is also a good place to live.

Cons

Not a technical strong company, still using VB and Cache. Flat structure and almost impossible to promote.

Advice to Management

Switch to C# and asp.net or use open source language. Go public if possible.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos