Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

799 reviews filtered by
3.6
Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living (in 53 reviews)

• Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 136 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 86 reviews)

Amazing culture

Former Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Clear mission - improving patient care
    Always innovating
    Fun environment - conference rooms are all themed (super mario bros, dungeons and dragons, etc)
    If you work hard, the raises will come
    Flat culture is very collaborative

Cons

Managers are often young and inexperienced, which can create difficult relationships
    Downside of flat culture is you are limited in upward mobility

2. Lots of autonomy and flexibility to run your project, your way.

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, travel perks, lots of autonomy

Cons

travel 50%+ of the time, expected to be available outside of normal business hours

3. Project manager

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

Lots of flexibility and working w smart people

Cons

Upper management makes people feel replaceable

Great company for someone looking to start fast.

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

I'm surprised about how many doors are open to me @ Epic. I don't want to sound like a big homer, but there's always something new for me to dive into and get dirty with. Compensation jumped quickly and you can rise fast in a variety of different ways. The campus, food, travel perks, flexibility in working hours and lack of micromanagement make for an awesome place to work.

Cons

Very few of the software developers can think outside of the box and many are disconnected from how their tools ACTUALLY function. It creates a huge struggle with those that are implementing the product.

Process is important, but give people the ability to get creative on installs that don't fit the mold. Allow for more flexibility in working from home. It's a big win, and I promise you won't lose any of the "culture", you'll just gain happier people. Pull back the curtain on the ranking/feedback process. There is no way for someone to meaningfully ask for a raise or for middle management to have any sort of salary conversation. If someone is not meeting performance expectations at any point, it is very difficult to change perception. Group-think is prevalent.

Great job, but glad to be gone.

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As said by everyone else, they pay well and you're in an environment where you're doing meaningful, awesome work. People are great, and you feel like you're making a positive impact.

Cons

Far too much work. After a couple months of training, they give you as much work as they you can take, and they keep giving you more work as your productivity increases. I rarely had a week less than 50 hours, but it was not at all uncommon to have weeks of 60 hours or more. Unless you're an SD, they will work you until you're burned out, then replace you with someone new.

Great place to work with great work to do and live a nice life in general.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with not only incredibly smart people, but incredibly caring and passionate people. The pay is phenomenal and the work is fun to do on a day-to-day basis. As a software developer I get to collaborate with my team on things I design and things they design. We implement alongside each other and we test each others work and we have fun doing cool things. The food here is amazing and I can't imagine anywhere else having this high quality of food from coffee carts through lunch.

Cons

You become an expert in development languages that aren't being used by anyone else in the 'tech industry', so your experience does fall behind professionally in that respect. However, your ability to think algorithmically and be an intelligent computer scientist is not hindered.

8. Meh

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You work with competent and gifted people, opportunities to travel, fast paced learning environment, looks good on resume if desiring a future in healthcare

Cons

Management does not care about project managers, Work/life balance at Epic is a myth, everyone is looking out for themselves, when you dig beneath the surface most project managers are dissatisfied and cynical about their work

I really don't appreciate the revolving door policy, the burn and turn strategy with project managers

9. meaningful work, great people and atmosphere

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You have a lot of control over how your career develops. I think the atmosphere is fast-paced, but there's so much to learn and do. I never felt bored and each day was different and meaningful. I felt like the work I did was making a real difference in patient care. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by others who were passionate about the work we were doing.

The company is very organized and their training for new employees is fantastic. I had no real understanding of what I was getting into, but was able to learn what I needed to learn in order to do my job and get right to it. If there was something I didn't know, my colleagues were always willing to help or the knowledge was available with a quick internal search.

Cons

Lots of work. Some days you'll have to put in more than 8 hours.

Keep doing what you're doing as it seems to be working in terms of creating a great product and keeping your employees happy.

10. Get paid well to live in the Tundra and do large quantities of tedious work

Former Employee - Technical Services Analyst in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services Analyst in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

You can get steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast for 50 cents, lunch is subsidized and usually pretty delish. Starting pay is good

Cons

Quoth Frank Underwood, "Disorganized labor". Good luck actually finding time to work on anything that will actually make the software better. Even better luck if you're naive like I was and thought working here would give you a chance to improve the way health care is delivered.

Eventually, Epic's competition won't be complete crap. Customers will get fed up having TS who have less than 6 months under their belt and don't know how to do anything. Adopting (instead of doing a remarkable sales pitch during interviews) actual West Coast startup work/life balance, dare I say average vacation time and actual perks, could go a long way in terms of employee retention.

Not for those w/ young children

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of autonomy. Opportunities to get involved quickly. Travel points accumulate very fast.

Cons

No work/life balance. Most of the people you work with are relatively young and could care less about your family needs.

If certain positions (i.e. Project Manager) are not a good fit for someone that has young children and that is very involved w/ family, don't make the position sound more accommodating than it is.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos