Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.5
Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay specially in a low cost state/city (in 53 reviews)

• The work environment is incredibly relaxed (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no sense of work-life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Many work long hours to avoid letting items slip through the cracks as they will hear about this relentlessly in feedback sessions (in 86 reviews)

Could hardly ask for more

Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment. Some of the best coworkers I could imagine having.

Lot's of freedom to find the projects you are most interested in and to learn new things.

Competitive salary. Average vacation policy (2-3 weeks paid depending on tenure) but 4 week paid sabbatical (salary, airfare, lodging) every 5 years.

Amazing on-site lunch at subsidized prices.

Fun campus.

Cons

Not many, especially nothing unique to a company of Epic's size that is growing so quickly. Policies and procedures change, but many times for the better not just for worse.

There's always A LOT of work to be done, so if you don't set a good work-life balance and stick to it, it's easy to burn out or have your life become all about your work. However, if you decide what's right for you up front and stick to it, there's a lot of room to thrive and be happy in what you do. I will say that I'm in Technical Services, and it's much easier to do this in my role than in others like Project Management and Software Development.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

1.Decent payment.
    2. Every software developer has their own office.
    3. Great compus.
    4. Co-workers are smart and nice.

Cons

1. Use 80's supper old technology, still use vb6 not even vb.net.

Advice to Management

Good management.

Not bad, not good

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The salary and benefits are quite good for the majority of roles, especially since it's the first real job for many new hires (as it was for me).
    - I believe every salaried employee has an office, possibly shared with another person. There are no cubicles.
    - The campus' landscaping is nice. There's a little forest, a stream, plenty of interesting plants and flowers, a multi-purpose field, a lake, running trails, etc. And there are fun little touches scattered around campus, like a photorealistic painting of an orangutan on the wall of some outdoor stairs. None of this is necessary, but it is nice, and it helps keep Epic from seeming too cold and corporate.
    - Almost all employees are bright and helpful. I say almost, but I never actually worked with anyone really dickish.
    - The internal culture has a young, geeky bent. I remember seeing Arrested Development references in company-wide presentations and memes inserted into company-wide announcements. The newest building is Harry Potter themed, for god's sake.
    - Building on the previous point, if you're a recent grad coming to work here making friends is not hard, as there are literally thousands of people around your age.
    - Epic really does put a good product first. The culture of helping customers deliver the best care is repeatedly emphasized and not just a show when customers are around.
    - The food in the cafeterias (although I never ate at the newest one, which opened June 2015) is much, much better than it has to be. I would compare it to a restaurant with entrees in the $10-15 range, which is rather remarkable when you're paying $3-$5. The culinary staff manages to be both inventive and consistent, turning out competently-prepared stuff that isn't super inventive (e.g. roast chicken, green beans almondine, and mashed parsnips) and occasionally throwing down a few plates of avant-garde wizardry (once, I swear, there was a dish with lobster, shiitake mushrooms, whey, daikon, and dashi). They are great. It's the one thing about the place I really miss.
    - Madison is really not a bad city. It's usually described as the "Austin of Wisconsin", which isn't so far off-base. Some people complain that it's very white, which is only true if you stick around the capital area. Fitchburg (which is a few miles south of the capital), for example, is not very white.

Cons

- The work is dull. I spent all of my time fixing little bugs, which requires navigating Epic's complicated internal structure and writing everything in M, a really unpleasant language that no other company uses. This was the dealbreaker for me, because it meant every damn day was just 8 or 9 hours of uninteresting work. It actually takes quite a bit of work to understand the internal structure necessary to do dev work, and the kicker is it's mostly stuff that will never translate to any other job. Put bluntly, I looked around and saw nobody in the company doing work I wanted to do, so leaving (after a little less than a year) was an easy decision. This was far and away the biggest factor in my leaving. It's great to do challenging, interesting work for 50-60+ hours a week. Doing boring things day-in day-out for 40 hours a week is a nightmare.
    - The culture requires working hard. This would be fine if the work wasn't so damn boring. My boss criticized me several times for only working 40-42 hours a week (not counting lunch), and there's a sense that the more time you log (literally, you log how much time you spent on what each day, in 15-minute increments) the better you're doing. I hear it's worse in TS and IS roles because they're customer-facing.
    - As a new hire, you are at the mercy of your TL (your immediate superior). Epic makes a proud point of hiring technical people to be managers, so in practice if you're a software developer or whatever and hang around for a few years there's a good chance you'll end up a TL, even if you're perhaps not great at supervising people. If you do not get along with your TL, working at Epic will be unpleasant, as there is really no way to switch, and they control what work you do.
    - Most people leave within a few years for the reasons mentioned above, and it's not very common to find someone who actually plans to build a future with the company.
    - I was lucky enough to avoid a customer-facing role (e.g. TS, IS), but those can be pretty awful with a bad (or even just difficult) customer, since Epic really sells itself on customer service. In practice you may have to be very patient with someone who has not paid attention and is very angry. A lot.

Advice to Management

The kicker is I don't really know how to make working here any better. The internal structure of Epic's software isn't changing any time soon, yet that's a big part of why the work is unpleasant. And TS/IS are always going to have to deal with demanding customers as customer service is a big part of what Epic sells.

Implementer

Current Employee - Implementation Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

-Able to have a lot ownership early on.
    -Pay is highly competitive for little to no experience in the field.

Cons

-You get thrown in the deep end really early on without much preparation. "Fake it til you make it" has never been more true except I am not sure how long it will be before I make it.

Advice to Management

Prepare your employees for their positions. There are not enough people for all of the work but we are giving the clients newbies who have never done this before and are expected to teach others.

Good company for a first job

Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, great people, flat management structure, and excellent food. Lots of opportunities for young employees to get involved with big projects.

Cons

Easy to fall into a poor work/life balance

7. trainer

Former Employee - Trainer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Trainer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good hours, smart people. good pay

Cons

you can only live in madison, WI

8. Project Manager

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and people

Cons

Very hard work and difficult schedules to keep

9. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-fun work, awesome coworkers, fast paced environment, large capacity for growth

Cons

too much work, managers with no management training, puts the clients over the employees every time

Advice to Management

work harder to make sure your employees achieve work/life balance, allow people to work not in Madison, Wi

To whom much is given, much is expected...

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus is beautiful, the cafeteria is great, and everyone is trained thoroughly. There's also a lot of freedom given to those that prove themselves worthy of it. The salary and benefits they offer to people fresh out of college are unrivaled.

Cons

During crunch times, expect to stay late, come in on weekends, and feel overwhelmed all the time. Deadline after deadline. A grandparent died this winter, and I stayed all night before leaving for the funeral. I still didn't finish everything I was tasked to accomplish, and got a mild talking-to for not alerting anyone that I was falling behind.

Advice to Management

Hire more new people instead of overworking the ones you already have. When an employee logs a 60 hour week, take note and delegate some of his or her responsibilities elsewhere. When they log 40 hours, stop badgering them to take on more responsibilities. Not everyone wants to live in their office.

11. Software engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

A Good place to work

Cons

I love big city,like California

RSS Feed </> Embed