Epic Systems Corporation

Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner

Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 47 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 117 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Valuable experience, but poor work life balance.

Technical Services Engineer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsExcellent salary out of college, good professional experience, useful training and certification, smart and motivated employees, nice cafeteria.

ConsLots of red tape, poor work-life balance, lots of the technologies you learn are not used outside of epic.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of time and training is being invested in good employees who subsequently leave. Better work life balance and stronger incentives to stay during the crucial 1-3 year mark would result in a smaller but more competent work force.

The job is what you make of it

Implementation Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe work itself is satisfying and easy to quantify the good I am doing in the world of healthcare. There us a lot of variability in the job - there is flexibility to find the things that make you excited about the work and you can mold your projects to work on your favorite things (not to say that it's 100% of yyour time - there are still good days and bad days just like everything else). Coworkers are very supportive and there's a big sense of team - I have never felt alone in a problem and my colleagues have always rallied when I've needed them (as I do for them)

ConsWhile your manager may ask you if you're sure you have the bandwidth to take on a new project, your responsibilities are ultimately up to you. You can work 45 hours a week or 70 hours a week and there will always be more to do. While I have always felt empowered to say no, not saying no gets people in a pickle sometimes. There is also a "work hard play hard" mentality with some in implementation which can lead to cliques that bleed into the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your team members know how to say no and help those who are struggling to keep up reshuffle priorities. Glorifying those who take on too much, work untenable hours for the majority of people, and burn out quickly is a way to continue the pattern.

Pretty much what I expected. Here's why it didn't work for me, in case you're wondering.

Test Plan Runner (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsIf you're a software developer, and you're alright with working in an arcane system with aging tools, the pay, working conditions, and opportunities to do cool stuff that makes a difference for many thousands of people are good. Your results may vary, however, depending on what team you're assigned to.
    If you're an outgoing business type, the Implementation role is a chance to act like a salesperson without selling anything. It's highly stressful and there's an ugly, hidden rat-race, but the cool thing is that you'll be pitching a product that, while it isn't perfect, has proven it gives good results, and you'll be doing it in a way that's more focused on progress and people than on profit.
    If you're in neither category and just need a dang job, the tech service and quality assurance roles are waiting to catch you. Unlike the above two, these two jobs are just that, jobs. You do something uninteresting and uninspiring for a few hours a day, they pay you.
    Pros of TS: pays better, more chances to distinguish yourself and climb the ladder, some tasks of the many you'll do are interesting.
    Pros of QA: low stress, rarely exceeds 45hrs/wk (unlike ALL the other roles) (also, many QA beg to differ; my assessment is that they are socially anxious and vulnerable to the tactics management uses to get more free work out of people, not that Epic really overworks them by force), most teams have a 5-o-clock, go home culture.

ConsCons of SD: You'll develop your professional skills along a pathway that takes you further and further away from other branches you might wish to jump to in the future, because of Epic's ancient and unusual code scaffolding. If, 5 years in, you decide you don't much like developing for Epic, but you need the income of a senior SD, you're in trouble.
    Cons of IS: Don't expect fun travel. It's brutal, draining, bloodshot travel. If you're picturing chances to visit friends or even see the towns you go to, picture again.
    Cons of TS: Hour creep is prevalent on many teams. You often hear about TS getting slammed with 55 and 60 hour weeks month after month, with no graceful way to escape. Also, be honest. No one dreams about technical support.
    Cons of QA: Pay is low. Other roles don't really respect you. Few opportunities to shine or do innovative stuff, if that's your thing. And no one dreams about doing QA for a living, either.

My role at Epic was Test Plan Runner. This is QA's mentally challenged little brother, and is a terrible role. Don't under any circumstances get weaseled into being a TPR, they'll always give you a choice to do QA instead.

The story of how I lost my job: I had a hard time concentrating on boring, overly complicated, unstylish systems. My pace of work didn't pick up at the expected pace, and management, nothing if not attentive, noticed right away. After running out of ways to sound hopeful/with it/eager to keep trying to improve, I was told to resign or be fired, 1 year and 4 months in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGod help you.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting learning experience about healthcare system but ultimately not the right fit for everyone

ProsThe people you work with are young, energetic, and pretty intelligent, the campus is nice, and the open-office culture of being able to walk up to anyone and get help/support you need makes it feel friendly.

ConsWork-life balance (though they are trying to hire more to offload work as appropiate), flat management level puts personal growth in your own hands, and not everyone will like Madison.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you are continuing to hire more and more, please don't forget to focus on improving training for employees as well as customers. Getting caught up to speed fast makes everyone more efficient.

software developer

Software Developer (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsVarious projects with various technology

ConsOnly focus in health care tech

Incredible opportunity if you go in with open eyes

Project Manager (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsEpic is a great place for motivated young professionals. If you are smart and willing to learn, work hard, and understand that you're working for a vendor in what ultimately amounts to customer service role, you will excel here and be well-compensated for it. Know coming in that this is not a 40-hour-a-week kind of place, but good outcomes are highly valued, and you'll get noticed if you're doing great work in a mature way. The work itself is meaningful, and the perks and benefits are solid.

We are decisive and aggressive in working out individuals who are not meeting expectations, which contributes to both a high-quality talent pool as well as some resentment among employees who weren't aware of their peers' performance problems.

ConsIt's a great first (or second) job, and I have learned a tremendous amount about both project and people management - however, it's not for everyone, and I can see how someone with a significant amount of corporate experience under their belt would struggle with many of Epic's more nebulous, small-company-style policies. Not the job for you if you're looking for set hours (i.e., a 9-5). You'll rise faster if you can put in a lot of time upfront; that said, it's still possible to balance a family with the PM role, and most team lead managers (middle/senior management) are married with kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're no longer a small company - policies should be clearer instead of ruled by "judgment", which can vary person to person. Example: overall, Epic is generous with giving you flexible time off when you need it, but many would prefer a clear-cut lump of PTO time, vs. trying to determine how much recovery/work-away time is appropriate per situation.

Decent company that looks good on a resume

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFantastic work experience, community involvement, opportunity to work with very intelligent people and make many friends

ConsVery long work-hours and heavy work-place politics

Advice to Senior ManagementPutting 22 year olds in supervisory positions without proper oversight and controls leads to favoritism and petty politics.

Hard work at a tough company but good benefits for the short term.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsGood compensation and benefits. Very nice campus and food options.

ConsYou feel overworked and under appreciated. The hours are very long as well.

Good experience but it is difficult to stay with Epic for too long

Software Developer (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsI have nice co-workers, the campus is beautiful, there is a nice food court on campus where lunch is made daily and is available pretty cheap, the pay is good, you can wear whatever you like, and you get an office instead of a cubicle (this can actually be a bit frustrating when you know someone can answer your question quickly but have to email them instead because they are in a different office).

ConsI often end up working long hours, the atmosphere - despite the casual dress code - feels like a high pressure environment, people tend to be stressed / overworked in general, and there is a LOT of process / lack of intimacy because it is such a large company.

Great place to grow quickly and get experience, but expect to be worked hard

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsYoung, smart, hardworking co-workers
    Fun, challenging, high-level of responsibility comes quickly

ConsProject Managers travel way too much. After a year you'll be on the road 3/4 weeks, sometimes with stints as long as 5-6 weeks where you're only home on Fridays and weekends.
    You're expected to put in an extremely large amount of work if you want to move quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's professed values are often not in line with day-to-day happenings. There needs to be stronger oversight of Team Leads to make sure they are truly representing and behaving in line with the values of the company at large.

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!