Epic Systems Corporation

Updated November 17, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 51 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 132 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a great place to work if you're willing to be a great employee.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have a lot of freedom in my job. I can pick what projects to work on, what extra things to take on on the side, how to allot my time and (in many cases) who I want to work with. I can do as much as I'd like, but I'm also encouraged to say "no" when necessary to prevent myself from getting overloaded. I can also occassionally work from home or in one of the common areas so I can get out of my office if I need to.

Cons

You have to be good at what you do. This isn't a coasting company where you can get by just doing what you're told. You need to take the initiative to make things around you better and actively try to improve yourself and your team. This really isn't the job for people who like to be told exactly what they need to do day in and day out and expect to succeed doing just that.

Software Developer Intern

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good salary and free housing for interns
    - Freedom of control on intern project
    - Little to no intern training
    - Great intern HR team
    - Good benefits for full-time developers

Cons

- Full-time developers are stressed and overworked
    - Managers have no management training
    - Use of old languages such as Cache means no other company will take you seriously
    - HR blackmails you when you try to leave the company
    - Madison is boring

To upper management: Hire actual managers.
    To middle and lower management: Go back to your original job.

Overall a good company

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

*Great coworkers
    *Great food
    *Great offices and artwork

Cons

*Work life balance can be difficult

More management training for midlevel managers.

Quality Assurance Team Lead

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Team Lead in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Team Lead in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Great chance to get involved early and make an impact
    *Chances early on for promotion and movement in the company
    *Great opportunity for someone coming out of undergrad
    *Really good training given to help you get started
    *Very flat organization

Cons

*While flat is a pro, it is also a con. There is not much structure which makes it hard to know who is the leader for a given area.

While you are afraid of having titles, having promotions more clearly defined out may help keep people longer.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Co-workers are super smart & many are highly motivated making it an overall pleasure to work with such strong colleagues. Epic tries to do the right thing and treat employees well, many of the perks are nice.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult at times and how your team lead lets you manage that can be inconsistent among managers. You'll have to figure out what works best on your own.

interview

Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. a lot of freedom

Cons

Madison is very cold during winter

short-term option

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living
    - Ample (too many) travel opportunities

Cons

- Managers do all they can to belittle you and make you feel inadequate. anything wrong that happens is blamed on the new entry-level project manager, who has nothing to do with the software's inadequacies. as a result, a vast majority of project managers are miserable and quit in in less than 2 years
    - Cult-like atmosphere, including torturous, mandatory all-staff meetings where they force feed you their Kool-Aid
    - Obsolete technology that is physically painful to work with
    - Must move to Wisconsin, which is depressing enough. Sure, Madison has its moments but it's usually freezing and if there happens to be something going on, you probably won't have the time to do it
    - Nonexistent work/life balance, as you may have read in almost all the other reviews here

Not someone you retire with

Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of initial responsibility, good starting career.

Cons

Long hours, employees are viewed as expendable.

Software development internship

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Very good pay for interns
    - For interns, not very much is demanded from you (because you aren't working on anything time-sensitive or that will immediately go into production). This makes for an easier experience than e.g. at a startup, but the experience is arguably less valuable
    - Free housing
    - Great food
    - Salary and benefits are awesome if you're given a full-time offer

Cons

- The company leverages out-of-date technologies to build its core infrastructure and as such isn't taken as seriously by tech firms when the time comes for you to apply for full-time jobs
    - Madison is probably a great place to raise a kid, but it can be boring for students.
    - Offers for internships, full-time are exploding
    - While interns often work on more recent, up-to-date stuff (mobile technology, etc.), a select few interns work on VB6 or Caché, which is a real shame as this experience tends not to be very portable elsewhere.

Best summer internship I've heard of first-hand

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as an intern at Epic. The food is absolutely delicious, the campus is absolutely gorgeous (with cool themes!), and the pay is (probably) higher than what you will find at any other company in the Midwest. Teams seem to be well-sized. In my limited experience, management worked hard to make the place lighted-spirited. The work environment is incredibly relaxed. No hours are counted; even interns are salaried. There is no dress code whatsoever, and everyone either shares an actual office (with real walls) with one coworker, or has a private office. We got together quite often for awesome team-building events. Also, the sound of Nerf guns never seemed to be far away...

Intern development projects are usually R&D type stuff, but are always actual programming projects. This may sound like a silly comment, but I assure you that it isn't. Epic didn't seem to be heavy on strict design process, unless it actually helps. Interns (we worked in small groups) were given free reign of all design (structural and visual) and implementation details, with the exception of any necessary requirements gathering, which was done for us. That means pride of true ownership, which is rare for an undergraduate.

Everyone around you is very competent, bright, and full of criticism (the good kind). There's a certain peace of mind that comes with never having to look over others' shoulders. The employees have such diverse talents and interests that it starts to feel like a university campus, with a plethora of clubs and "extracurricular" groups to join.

Over 100 interns lived together in the Regent Apartments, on the edge of the UW campus, making it easy to form great relationships. Great (and free) intern events were constantly planned, including hikes, baseball games, and trips to the Dells. The intern team actually implements suggestions, so you know that they are working to make the experience even more attractive. Interns come from all over the country (and out of it), and from differing levels of higher education. Diversity always makes for interesting conversations and relationships.

Cons

Some decisions don't seem to be made very quickly. The company is VERY cautious. There is a constant, visible focus on avoiding bad PR, and some strange rules are born of that. This cautiousness extends to software as well. They tend to ignore widely used, powerful external software in favor of in-house copies. Because of the pressure to reinvent the wheel in-house and the large amount of code sitting around, is isn't uncommon for different teams to redevelop the same thing multiple times. Then you have 4 in-house copies of something someone else has been doing better for years.

Put more pressure on everyone else around you to experiment with well-established open source libraries and external tools when relevant. You could cut down on redundancy and relieve developer workloads, which could improve Glassdoor reviews!

Epic Systems Corporation Photos